The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-28-2020, 01:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

"NEW: A first look behind the scenes of those royal video calls

Watch how Princess Anne tried to teach her elderly mother about @zoom_us. But her elderly mother is, err, the Queen.

A great clip from tomorrow’s documentary ‘Anne: The Princess Royal at 70’ on @itv 9pm '

https://twitter.com/i/status/1288164903111602176

Old 07-28-2020, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Omg, I love that clip ( I love P.Anne in general so that helps)

hopefully the documentary will be broadcast in the netherlands too at some point (can't watch itv from here)

Old 07-29-2020, 09:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The Australian Women's Weekly interview is fab, lovely pics of Anne very relaxed at Gatcombe and lots of great quotes:

My fav -

I ask if she and Prince Charles ever have conversations about farming. "Yes… occasionally, but rather short," quips the Princess.

"I think even then it was easy to see that it was a very mixed blessing to have a title," says the Princess.

Although she's not prone to cooing over her offspring, the Princess Royal admits she's proud of their progress.
"I've got no complaints," she jokes. "To be honest, having children of parents who both achieved at a fairly high level in sport and they've both achieved their own levels in their own sports, is fantastic. But they've also created their own careers away from that, using that experience – they've done incredibly well."

One irritation for the feisty young royal was what she saw as blatant sexism at official functions.
"Of course, the Queen is the Queen and it's a different relationship, but I still got the feeling that there were women at that end of the room and men at this end of the room. I didn't go for that, so I just annoyed the men at the other end," she laughs.

In essence, she says, she's "jack of all trades, master of none" – which I think, looking at her farm, is a little harsh. As our chat ends, the Princess Royal jumps in her Land Rover and leads our photographer around her beloved acreage.
I loved the bolded quote. I wonder how the princess became a strong voice for women's empowerment, given that both of her parents are known to be old-fashioned in that regard.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:44 AM
Administrator

In connection with her upcoming birthday Anne has guest edited the July 29 issue of the Country Life magazine:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Country Life 29 July 2020 **
Old 07-30-2020, 08:12 AM
Courtier

Just caught up on the "Anne: the Princess Royal at 70" documentary which was shown last night. It was great. I would love to be like Princess Anne - nothing fazes her!
Old 07-30-2020, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I was impressed they managed to get the PM to talk about Anne's work on camera (I'll keep political opinions to myself) but I thought it was good going for the 14th in line to the throne!

Although there wasn't much new it was nice to see Anne's work being recognised and to hear her talk at length. It was nice to hear Tim talking too as we don't often get much from him. I loved the - she married first an army officer and then a naval officer. So there must be something about the military that attracts her' line lol.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:24 PM
Courtier

Yes, I liked hearing from Tim - he's pretty anonymous usually, and I never feel like I know that much about him.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I was impressed they managed to get the PM to talk about Anne's work on camera (I'll keep political opinions to myself) but I thought it was good going for the 14th in line to the throne!
I agree it was good to have the current PM praise her work (I'll also refrain from political comment) but although she's only 14th in the line of succession, her elevated rank as The Princess Royal alongside a lifetime focused more on genuine service than puffing up her own importance, earns her a great deal of public respect and a rather special place within the BRF I think.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I do respect the way Anne has managed (admittedly its taken years) to create her "working" role and still remain rather private and have her own family life that isn't all based around them being working official royals. Its as close to perfect as royal life can get IMO - a very distinct public role that is very business like vs a clearly very close and loving private family life.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Just caught up on the "Anne: the Princess Royal at 70" documentary which was shown last night. It was great. I would love to be like Princess Anne - nothing fazes her!
Its hard to believe the Princess Royal is almost 70!
Old 07-30-2020, 05:20 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I do respect the way Anne has managed (admittedly its taken years) to create her "working" role and still remain rather private and have her own family life that isn't all based around them being working official royals. Its as close to perfect as royal life can get IMO - a very distinct public role that is very business like vs a clearly very close and loving private family life.

I think one of the reasons why Anne managed to be private besides the fact that she is a minor royal is because she wasn't glamorous enough for the mainstream media. While she was considered beautiful and glamorous in her youth, the media might thought of her personality as "unladylike", it also didn't help that Diana and Fergie who were young and beautiful came into the royal scenes. Heck, Lady Kitty Spencer isn't a royal but there are more articles about her than Anne, so it's pretty clear that looks play a major factor here. However, knowing Anne, she probably isn't bothered by what the media are writing about her.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I loved this documentary on Anne last night. I looked at Twitter and it seemed to have largely positive reception; even with people who were normally anti-monarchy praising Anne for her hard work and natural, honest approach.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-30-2020, 10:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
I think one of the reasons why Anne managed to be private besides the fact that she is a minor royal is because she wasn't glamorous enough for the mainstream media. While she was considered beautiful and glamorous in her youth, the media might thought of her personality as "unladylike", it also didn't help that Diana and Fergie who were young and beautiful came into the royal scenes. Heck, Lady Kitty Spencer isn't a royal but there are more articles about her than Anne, so it's pretty clear that looks play a major factor here. However, knowing Anne, she probably isn't bothered by what the media are writing about her.
Anne is not a 'minor royal'. No child of a monarch can ever be described as a 'minor royal'.

Grandchildren of a monarch are where 'minor royals' begin and not with the children of a monarch.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Anne is not a 'minor royal'. No child of a monarch can ever be described as a 'minor royal'.

Grandchildren of a monarch are where 'minor royals' begin and not with the children of a monarch.
I fully agree that children of monarchs aren't minor royals. And in her case even more so because she was the only princess in her generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
I'm pretty sure Kitty will receive far fewer articles about her when she turns 70 than Anne does. Youth sells... While the Princess Royal will remain in the media for life because of her role within the monarchy, I don't think the same will be true for Lady Kitty.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Kitty is

Young
Attractive
Not yet boring married
Related to Princess Diana

She has just enough royal connection to make her interesting. Young single and close to royals if not Royal are always popular. Kate sells people because of clothes but younger readers not so much. People under 30 love reading about the exciting life of young royals. Travel, fashion shows, dating and parties. With the absence of any true royals in that category anymore Royal related works.

Anne is

Older
Not model beautiful
A grandmother

People aren't going to follow her for fashion. Or to see her exciting social life unless you are big into horses. And she is married.

Except for heirs, the older royals always get replaced by the next generation. Will and Harry will be by the kids when older. The only time older royals other then the heir really get attention is when there is some kind of scandal like divorce or what Andrew is in.

Anne is as exciting as the plow horse she is compared to. Amazing hard worker, great representative of her mother and country, but boring.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I agree it was good to have the current PM praise her work (I'll also refrain from political comment) but although she's only 14th in the line of succession, her elevated rank as The Princess Royal alongside a lifetime focused more on genuine service than puffing up her own importance, earns her a great deal of public respect and a rather special place within the BRF I think.
My own view is that the reason Anne is held in the high regard that she is, is because she has worked hard for the causes she supports, and has done so consistently for 50 years.

She, too, like a lot of other members of the BRF, had her trials and tribulations with the press. Her response was to ignore it all and focus on her work. In time, the press fell into line.

A real role model for the younger children of a monarch, IMO!
Old 07-31-2020, 08:39 AM
Commoner

I really like Princess Anne long before The Crown introduced her, especially that she visited my country, the Philippines in 2015, a few years after Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) devastated the Eastern Visayas region and her work with Save the Children is highly commendable. Shame the Queen never visited my country.

And credits to that series (despite being soap opera-ish at times) for re-introducing Princess Anne to the wider audience. Fun fact: The narrator of the ITV documentary is none other than Tobias Menzies, who plays her middle-aged dad in The Crown!
Old 07-31-2020, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Homeschooling by the Princess Royal sounds fun
Old 08-01-2020, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

The Anne at 70 documentary was watched by 3.8million people and was the most watched programme on at the time it was shown, it was also one of ITVs top watched factual shows of the year.

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/ratin...151976.article
Old 08-05-2020, 10:24 PM
Administrator

I watched the documentary and thought it was fabulous. I love her dry humor.

I remember the comparisons and the stories when Sarah and Diana were members of the Royal Family...she has never seeked the limelight and has always been about the work.

All that glitters isn't gold.