Princess Anne and Family General Information and Questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Being rich does not equate to being upper class. The term "impoverished gentry" has been around for centuries - think of, say, the Elliot family in Jane Austen's "Persuasion". Even by the late 17th century, plenty of middle class people who'd made fortunes in trade were richer than some upper class people.

Not being royal does not mean that you're not upper class. There's royalty, then there's aristocracy, then there's gentry. And then there's middle class ... and there are umpteen degrees of middle class! Mark Phillips, son of a brigadier whose father was a royal aide, and who went to a public school and then Sandhurst, is middle class, but someone who owns a small shop might also think of themselves as middle class!

Same everywhere - take Gone With The Wind, where people like the Wilkseses and the Meades are still "ladies and gentlemen" even after losing their money and property in the war.

It's complicated! I'd say that Peter and Zara were upper class. "Rich" doesn't come into it - they could be as poor as church mice and that still wouldn't stop them from being upper class. And, not now, but in the past there were people who'd made a lot of money, had big houses and servants, but were still considered middle class by upper class circles! But who knows how they see themselves? Mark Phillips is upper middle class.

Last edited:
Middle class in the UK also covers a wide range of situations and attitudes. Read Jilly Coopers Class (which is a little out of date now but gives the basic idea) or Kate Foxes "Watching the English" for an overview. Mike's family were middle class growing up and I think he and Zara would say they had very different upbringings in many ways.

Peter and Zara might consider themselves in the most "normal" situation of their generation but that doesn't mean they consider themselves "average middle class".

I'd say they were upper class personally. Living at your mother-who's- a-Princess's country estate isn't exactly any definition of middle class whether or not they have servants (or cleaners!) or money that they didn't earn themselves. Not to mention the doors that open because their grandmother is the Queen and they were born in the top 10 of the succession.

I really think that they live the normal life of affluent people. But obviously they are not show-off.

Yesterday, The Times had this tidbit about Vice Admiral Timothy Laurence. It was in the Diary column, written by Patrick Kidd:

The Duke of York’s recent legal difficulties are proving a stumbling block to his brother-in-law’s hopes of more gold braid. Sir Timothy Laurence, Mr Princess Anne, has been gradually bumped up the naval honours, reaching vice-admiral in 2007. Palace gossip says he was to become a full admiral as a 65th birthday present last year but this had become delicate as Prince Andrew was due to get the same promotion for his 60th birthday. Since he is keeping a low profile, both promotions have been postponed. (...)

Yesterday, The Times had this tidbit about Vice Admiral Timothy Laurence. It was in the Diary column, written by Patrick Kidd:

The Duke of York’s recent legal difficulties are proving a stumbling block to his brother-in-law’s hopes of more gold braid. Sir Timothy Laurence, Mr Princess Anne, has been gradually bumped up the naval honours, reaching vice-admiral in 2007. Palace gossip says he was to become a full admiral as a 65th birthday present last year but this had become delicate as Prince Andrew was due to get the same promotion for his 60th birthday. Since he is keeping a low profile, both promotions have been postponed. (...)

Interesting. I wonder if the writer meant "Since Sir Timothy is keeping a low profile" or "Since Prince Andrew is keeping a low profile"? The second would seem likelier, but I am not sure why Sir Timothy's promotion would be an obstacle to the Duke of York keeping a low profile.

Interesting. I wonder if the writer meant "Since Sir Timothy is keeping a low profile" or "Since Prince Andrew is keeping a low profile"? The second would seem likelier, but I am not sure why Sir Timothy's promotion would be an obstacle to the Duke of York keeping a low profile.

I think its more likely to mean there is a problem with internal family dynamics and because Andrew's promotion is on hold because of his legal problems, it has been decided not to rub salt into the wound by promoting Tim.

... or, call more attention to Andrew's situation.

Sorry to read this news as it will definitely impact Anne and Timothy's holiday plans with her family. I hope that he recovers soon.

Hopefully Sir Timothy Laurence's symptoms are mild enough and he's not too sick.

I hope he will be well soon.

I hope he feels better and it was not passed on to Anne or other family members.

Back
Top Bottom