Peter Phillips and Autumn Kelly Engaged: July 30, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
. . . .Suffice to say that he comes from a family that are monstrously wealthy and I am sure that he is very rich indeed ie the Hello deal is just pure greed.
Or more likely an attempt to "control" the media thirst for the inside scoop on the wedding. Doing an interview probably seemed like a small price to pay for some degree of privacy.

Just a thought, does anyone actually know what they are going to do with the money?

If I remember correctly, the Queen Mother's estate didn't consist of much in the way of liquid assets, mainly jewels and property. I believe she owned some sort of parkland in England, didn't someone get in trouble for building a road on it a few years ago? I'm not sure if she owned Glamis Castle in Scotland or if it is even still in the Bowles-Lyons family. I assume/hope it is still in the family.

At any rate, the bulk her estate was left to her daughter as Queen to avoid estate tax. One assumes QEII distributed it in accordance with her mother's wishes. As far as any actual money, there probably wasn't much for Peter or any of the other grandchildren and great grands.

Cat

If I remember correctly, the Queen Mother's estate didn't consist of much in the way of liquid assets, mainly jewels and property. I believe she owned some sort of parkland in England, didn't someone get in trouble for building a road on it a few years ago? I'm not sure if she owned Glamis Castle in Scotland or if it is even still in the Bowles-Lyons family. I assume/hope it is still in the family.

At any rate, the bulk her estate was left to her daughter as Queen to avoid estate tax. One assumes QEII distributed it in accordance with her mother's wishes. As far as any actual money, there probably wasn't much for Peter or any of the other grandchildren and great grands.Cat

Glamis passed down the male line through the Queen Mothers brothers & their offspring. If I recall correctly the current Earl of Strathmore & Kinghorne is her great nephew.

As for the trusts, I seem to recall that the funds were put into a trust for her great grandchildren in the early 1980's and were divided up when she died. Nothing unusual about that, most rich people create trusts for their offspring.

The reports that the Queen Mum left an estate of six million pounds seem rather at odds with the reports when she died that the Queen had payed off her overdraft!
However, if her estate of six mill was split only with her great-grandchildren that would mean only around half a million pounds each (& James wouldn't have anything unless a provision was made for future children of Edward, Andrew, David & Sarah). If a provision was made then the amount inherited by each individual would have been much less.

Louise wouldn't have anything either then, because the Queen Mother died in 2002 and Louise was born in 2003.

I know Peter and Autumn were paid a fairly enormous amount of money for this interview, but I wouldn't necessarily say the money, or greed, was what motivated them to do the interview. With Peter being the first grandson of the queen to marry, I'm sure there were more than a few media outlets pressuring them to do an interview. If it were a case of Peter and Autumn going to the papers and asking to sell their story that would be one thing, but it seems probable that the papers were after them. And if magazines are asking for your story and you're about to get married and excited enough to tell the world how you fell in love, why not?

I don't have a huge problem with what Peter and Autumn did, all things considered. Fame is an odd thing which more often than not has little to do with a person's worthwhile accomplishments (think Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, who seems to be in the news more frequently the more mistakes she makes). Sure, Peter and Autumn are taking advantage of the fact that Peter was born royal, but they're not the first royals to be in Hello!...Princess Anne was in the first issue.

It's just the way the world works, the rich and famous-for-no-reason have more opportunities than others. Not particularly fair maybe, and I think it would have probably been a better decision for Peter and Autumn not to sell their story. But they did, and it seems pretty harmless, not some blatant expose of their private lives.

It's their decision to invite the public into their lives, now they'll have to deal with the consequences (increased public interest).

However, if her estate of six mill was split only with her great-grandchildren that would mean only around half a million pounds each (& James wouldn't have anything unless a provision was made for future children of Edward, Andrew, David & Sarah). If a provision was made then the amount inherited by each individual would have been much less.
It is illegal in British law to make provision for children not yet born. If the amount was to evenly split only already living children would inherit as was the case with George VIII which only Anne and Charles got money from, simply because the others weren't alive yet.

I am looking forward to seeing this spread in Hello...and whether it is as tacky as people are saying. But it's easy to cast Autumn in whatever light the media wants to since so little is known about her and furthermore how little is known about Peter. I mean can anyone even name an ex-girlfriend he had, I don't remember him ever having much attention...

It was reported The Queen Mother created an irrevocable trust with her remaining liquid assets, estimated at approximately $10 million, in 1984. The trust paid an income to all of her great-grandchildren, with the exception of William, for her lifetime. Upon her death, the trust dissolved and the principal was distributed in equal shares to her grandchildren, excluding Charles.

That means Anne, Andrew, Edward, Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah split the remaining money, which was estimated to be about $5 million. Her great-grandchildren probably received about $100,000 annually for 15 years, undoubtedly to provide for their expenses and education, but not enough to become wealthy.

Transcript: Peter & Autumn's pre-wedding interview with Hello!

I find it interesting that Daily Mail as always starts attacking one of the most private royal members, in this case Peter and Autumn. Perhaps its ticked off, neither couple had a sit down with them, which might amount to them claiming Hello paid them off. Besides, if Autumn was tacky or money hungry, then its funny way of suddenly materializing after 4 years of dating a non-titled son of a Princess who works for a living and not on taxpayers payroll. I'll post few snippet of the actual Hello Transcript which is far from all the trash the tabloid media stated:

What’s your state of mind as the wedding day nears?
Autumn:
“Excited, nervous … I’m probably feeling what any bride would feel in the run-up to her big day. But there’s still a lot of preparation to do, which seems harder as I’m working full time. The last meeting about flowers had to be at 6.30am! So it’s full-on – not much of a rest until the honeymoon!”
Peter: “I’m quite glad I’ve got over the stag do! I think, for me, it’s plain sailing from here.”

Yours is the first royal wedding of your generation.
P: “So it’s raised a few interesting issues concerning the formalities of the service and how it’s all meant to work Obviously with my grandparents being who they are, there are set precedents for various events but for this one – the marriage of a grandchild – there are no precedents. It’s been quite fun and it’s also going to be very different. When various other members of my generation get married, it’s likely to be on a much grander scale. I don’t think Autumn and I are pathfinders as such, but we are laying some ground work.”

Peter, do you warrant special treatment as the first grandchild?
“No! Having said that, Granny and Grandpa have been incredibly kind allowing us to get married in St George’s and holding the reception at Frogmore. Their generosity has been above and beyond what we could have expected and hoped for. It’s going to make the day that much more special, because essentially I grew up between Gatcombe and Windsor, where we spent Christmas and Easter. So Frogmere holds many happy memories for me. We used to run round the gardens and have our Easter egg hunts there. To get married there is a huge honour and it’s very touching that they allowed us to do it. I asked because it’s never been done but also because Frogmore is a very special place for the Queen and the Duke, so it’s even more special for us.”

It’s special to the Queen because her late parents spent part of their honeymoon there.
A: “It’s also very Peter. He had his heart set on it. He’s chosen well because it’s beautiful and romantic with a gorgeous lake and stunning scenery.”

It is also a long way from the tent where you first met. Tell us the story.
P: “It was June 2003 at the Montreal Grand Prix. I was working for BMW Williams and Autumn was working in the main BMW hospitality suite. I had to take Ralph Schumacher there for a guest appearance. Whilst he was doing his best up on stage this rather attractive young lady appeared and we started chatting away. I came back later to invite her to the post-race party.”
A: “He came back twice and I wasn’t there. When we did catch up, I still wasn’t sure I was going to go, as I was still at university and Sunday night was a ‘school night’! Peter gave me four tickets so that I could bring along three girlfriends. It was a post-race Formula One party so it wasn’t too hard to convince my friends to come and meet this gorgeous English guy I wanted to see again. But I’d never actually given his name.”
P: “I had to ask one of my colleagues what she was called. He asked me which of the two girls I meant, and when I said ‘the really good-looking one’, he told me she was Megan.”

So you were wrong footed from the start…
A: “At the party, Peter came over with that big, gorgeous smile he has and I said, ‘You don’t actually know my name.’ ‘Of course I do!’ he announced, all very proud. ‘It’s Megan’ ‘No,’ I said, ‘It’s not!’”
P: “At which point I wished the ground would open up and swallow me whole.”

Undisclosed identity was a bit of a feature in your early relationship…
A: “I had no idea who Peter was. We had a fun night, met for coffee the next day and started e-mailing when he went back to England. I’d never heard of Peter or Zara Phillips. Maybe six weeks later, after talking on the phone every day, and making one weekend visit to see him, I was watching TV with my mum. It was a special for Prince William’s 21st birthday, and suddenly there was a film clip and a mention of Peter Phillips. ‘Hey Mum,’ I said, ‘That guy looks a lot like Peter.’ She told me to be quiet. The picture flashed up again and I said, ‘No seriously, Mum, that looks exactly like Peter.’ ‘Stop it, Autumn!’ she said. ‘I’m trying to watch TV.’ So I ran upstairs, looked on the internet and shouted down, ‘This is him! This is Peter.’ That was the point at which she said ‘Oh Autumn! What have you gotten yourself into?’ So literally Pete and I were together all that time and I had no idea.”

Why did you not tell her, Peter? Were you quite glad of some weeks just being incognito?
P: “There was no cause to mention it, no reason at all to tell her.”

Autumn, how come you hadn’t rumbled something on your weekend here together?
A: “We’d gone to Wimbledon and then just spent the weekend in Oxford, where Peter was living, doing our own thing. So I couldn’t know.”

When you found out, was there a sense of shock, of having a bit of truth withheld.
P: “She was a little bit angry!”
A: “Because then you start thinking ‘Oh my God!’ Everything starts going round in your head. By this stage, I’d already accepted a job here, and was moving over to England. So it just meant that everything seemed a little more complicated than I had originally thought. It kind of scared me actually, because I live a normal life and just get on with things. So there I was thinking, ‘Okay, it’s a big move, but I’ve met somebody, and even if it doesn’t work out between us, I’ll always have a friend…’ As it turned out, things weren’t so complicated because we continued to do our own thing anyway. We both work full time, enjoy our weekends and get on with our lives like anybody else.”

Were you coming over here expressly to be with Peter?
A: “It was weird: I met the CEO of the computer company that brought me over the same day and in the same suite where I met Peter. He wanted someone who spoke French and English; I’ve always loved travelling and I thought, ‘I’ve nothing to lose. It’s just a flight away from home’.”

MARRIAGE WRECK-ER
EXCLUSIVE Wills snubs Peter wedding Queen fears tacky mag deal
By Dean Rousewell Royal Editor
Prince William and his girlfriend Kate Middleton will miss his cousin's wedding after fears she would upstage the bride.
Peter Phillips, 30, will tie the knot with his Canadian fiancee Autumn Kelly, also 30, at Windsor on Saturday.
But William, 25, and Kate, 26, were so worried they'd wreck the occasion by stealing the limelight they cried off. Royal sources say the pair grew wary after Princess Anne's son and blonde Autumn signed a £500,000 deal with celebrity mag Hello!
A senior aide told The People: "William and Kate had provisionally agreed to go.
"But it became obvious there was a danger of the whole thing turning into a disaster. Kate was very concerned about how it would be seen if attention was focused on her. And when William heard about the mag deal his mind was made up.
"The Queen also thought it was a wise decision. Her motto has always been: 'Never let light in on the magic' - the Royals must retain their mystique. A holiday was arranged and William told Peter it was for the best."

Peter, who inherited almost £6million from the Queen Mum, has agreed 20 pages of coverage.

~A friend sent me this from the uk, but I don't know which papers are reliable sources and which are rags, so I don't know if it is valid or not, any comments?​

The Royal Family is SO public in Canada, I would think she might have known who he was from the start? In this day and age, most girls "Google" their new partners just to see if there is anything they can find out right away. Not very romantic, but cautious. She waited six weeks? She was to join the secret service!

It is illegal in British law to make provision for children not yet born. If the amount was to evenly split only already living children would inherit as was the case with George VIII which only Anne and Charles got money from, simply because the others weren't alive yet.

Not absolutely, Claire. British law permits Trust funds, which do, indeed, accommodate unborn descendants.

As an aside, did you mean George VI?

I always wondered why it's so difficult to believe that a royal prince or princess might just simply meet someone, during the ordinary course of their lives, and love them. Are royals so very different from the rest of us?

Almost without exception, the partner who's not royal is subsequently reduced to an intrusive examination of the why's, how's, and reasons for any consequent relationship. Nearly always, the non-royal is often imagined to be, and represented as being, 'social-climbing', 'hard-nosed', 'predatory', etc.

Peter and Autumn apparently met, sans any contrivance or manipulation, and found that they love each other and are to be married. I congratulate them and wish them both every good thing.

To infer that Peter's been bamboozled (or Harry, or William, for that matter) is to deny that any of these young royal men have any independent thought, will, or sense of proportion.

I must add, Rosalee, that I'm somewhat surprised by your suggestion that any Canadian would have needed to 'goggle' Peter Phillips to educate themselves as to who he really was. Of course she must have known, but what's that to the point?

The Royal Family is SO public in Canada, I would think she might have known who he was from the start? In this day and age, most girls "Google" their new partners just to see if there is anything they can find out right away. Not very romantic, but cautious. She waited six weeks? She was to join the secret service!
Peter Phillips is hardly one of the more outstanding names out there. It's a decidedly common name to have , and not one that stands out, like Zenouska or Columbus… :whistling:

I must add, Rosalee, that I'm somewhat surprised by your suggestion that any Canadian would have needed to 'goggle' Peter Phillips to educate themselves as to who he really was. Of course she must have known, but what's that to the point?

Try to google Peter Phillips and see what's coming up... Most people have long realized there is no sense in googling people with a too common name, so don't do it. :flowers:

I think it would be very poor of William not to attend this wedding, Peter is his cousin, I thought they were good friends.

Secret Service was where she was headed ???

Try to google Peter Phillips and see what's coming up... Most people have long realized there is no sense in googling people with a too common name, so don't do it. :flowers:

Google
"Peter Phillips England"

First hit: English Monarchs - Kings and Queens of England - Peter Phillips.

There are streams more about him after this, most showing his picture.

Please. But if that's her story. That's her story. Maybe she was so smitten, she did not care to do it.

I wish them all the best!

R.

Last edited:
Maybe , William had planned this vacation before he knew the date of the wedding and that is all the free time he had to take it. I don't think Peter will care really wasn't William at his bachelor party. The press just wants to create drama where there is none.

You have to remember that Autumn is from Quebec. The Royal Family doesn't garner as much attention there.

Google
"Peter Phillips England"

First hit: English Monarchs - Kings and Queens of England - Peter Phillips.

There are streams more about him after this, most showing his picture.

Please. But if that's her story. That's her story. Maybe she was so smitten, she did not care to do it.

I wish them all the best!

R.

But why should she google Peter Phillips and "England"? That would mean that she actually already had that knowledge. They met at an BMW-party and if you try Peter Phillips and BMW, nothing comes up. She probably knew where he lived then (Wimbledon?) but why should she select "England"? I wouldn't think of that because it connects a common name with a common place - so what does it help? Okay, in this case it would have helped but we have an information and try to figure out the plausibility that she spoke the truth. For me it sounds like she spoke the truth.

Well, I would've hoped she would've googled much sooner than six weeks into the relationship. Here we can search court records databases to see in someone has any outstanding warrants, or if theirdivorce has really been finalized like they claim, etc. A smart thing to do in this day and age!:shifty: But his name is fairly common so I think it wouldn't be much help.

The Royal Family is SO public in Canada, I would think she might have known who he was from the start?

Only the most senior members. A few months ago Edward made a visit to PEI and it barely registered a bleep on the national radar. I can tell you for a fact that the average Canadian would not know who Peter Philips is, unless they have an interest in the Royal family already. The point about Autumn being from Quebec is also a good one. If she says she was unaware of who Peter was, I believe because I know people like that.

Last edited:
If I were in their shoes, I would have sold the rights to the wedding. So many couples start out married life with nothing more than a big "blow-out" wedding, a pile of bills from said wedding, and money arguments. Here's a way for this "lucky" couple to set up a nest egg for themselves.

It's not like we the public are going to be any less interested had they had a private wedding. Look at how curious we still are about Viscount Severn and Lady Louise; their parents shield them from the public's gaze, and still we want more.

I think it was a smart move for Peter and Autumn.

I am reallly looking forward to this wedding and obviously all that goes with it. Find it a little hard to believe she didn't know who he was when they met but that is coming from a longtime royalist. It is exciting and on my birthday.

I don't know what all you Canadians are thinking...we NEVER have any royal coverage in our papers,not like in the UK. From what I understand, people in the Montreal area couldn't even name the Queens children, aside from Charles of course, unless you are a royal watcher, how would one know? And why on earth would the girl suspect in the first place?

We get an occasional royal picture in this part of Canada, but that's it unless there's a tour by a Senior Royal or coverage in the local paper during a Royal visit. The children of The Princess Royal are practically unknown, though; I agree.

I don't know what all you Canadians are thinking...we NEVER have any royal coverage in our papers,not like in the UK. From what I understand, people in the Montreal area couldn't even name the Queens children, aside from Charles of course, unless you are a royal watcher, how would one know? And why on earth would the girl suspect in the first place?

Well, I, for one, am thoroughly delighted that Peter and Autumn are to be married. As a British Commonwealth citizen, I couldn't be more pleased (prejudiced?) that Peter is to marry a Canadian, especially one who seems to be such a pleasant and appealing young woman.

The Princess Royal must be pleased, too. She's never been one to stand upon ceremony and privilege where she and her children are concerned - one of her more admirable traits.

As Windsor is involved in this marriage, we can only suppose that Her Majesty is happy and satisfied as well. She's proven herself to be a most exemplary and understanding grandmother and I join with her obvious wish that Peter and Autumn's alliance will be a fruitful and a very happy one.

I can't speak for everyone, of course, but from Australia, I send congratulations.

But why should she google Peter Phillips and "England"? That would mean that she actually already had that knowledge. They met at an BMW-party and if you try Peter Phillips and BMW, nothing comes up. She probably knew where he lived then (Wimbledon?) but why should she select "England"? I wouldn't think of that because it connects a common name with a common place - so what does it help? Okay, in this case it would have helped but we have an information and try to figure out the plausibility that she spoke the truth. For me it sounds like she spoke the truth.

Apart from his accent, he told her he was from England. If you read the new article in "Hello", it reveals (from her mouth) that they were in touch from day one and within a few days she went to visit him in England. But that he had a modest residence where he was studying and so there was no outward sign of his wealth. This went on for a while until "six weeks into it..." when her mother was watching a documentary on PW and PH and she heard the name "Peter Phillips" as their cousin and THEN ran up to check the internet, again, ~Peter Phillips, England, Royalty~

I don't think the article is viewable online at this time? The pictures are quite nice and she seems to LOVE being photographed. PP has been highly criticized for his barefoot photo as he has stayed in near line for the throne.

R.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you are under 25 years of age, possibly you would not identify with the name "Phillips", since Canada has had less to do with the UK since it's emancipation from the Empire some time back.. but, Autumn's mother is a Canadian and she most probably would have recognized the name. I am younger than Autumn's mother and I grew up in Canada. We ALL knew of the Queen's children, who they married, and the names of their children, growing up. We might have lost track of what the PP generation has been doing .. but we knew he was around. I have only recently gotten interested in "Royal Watching", but I already knew who Princess Anne's children were and about her divorce from their father. Zara has always been well-known in Canada. (She reminds me so much of the young Queen Elizabeth in appearance!)

All I am saying is if you read the "Hello" article about how AK was just about to go into the Canadian Secret Service and train in England .. it would make sense to wonder why she wasn't more curious OR prudent dating and flying across the pond to meet a guy she'd just met? She's no dummy and prides herself on her ability to be resourceful and intelligent. Not one of her friends described her as "impulsive".

Again, I wish them well. But I think everyone believing her "six week" story entirely, is a bit gullible. :eek:)

R.

Last edited:
I don't find it remarkable or sinister that Autumn may well have known who Peter Phillips's parentage and grand-parentage was. I'm inclined to ask 'so what?'

As for 'Hello' - I've never seen it, much less read it - and from what I've garnered from the Forums,I hope that it never crosses my path.

No matter how Peter met Autumn, he wouldn't be marrying her and committing to her if he didn't love her, and vice versa, in my humble opinion. So, rhubarb to those tabloids, who might wish to make a surreptious and/or contrived issue of Peter and Autumn's future liaison and marriage. Anything to sell another issue!

I don't find it remarkable or sinister that Autumn may well have known who Peter Phillips's parentage and grand-parentage was. I'm inclined to ask 'so what?'

As for 'Hello' - I've never seen it, much less read it - and from what I've garnered from the Forums,I hope that it never crosses my path.

No matter how Peter met Autumn, he wouldn't be marrying her and committing to her if he didn't love her, and vice versa, in my humble opinion. So, rhubarb to those tabloids, who might wish to make a surreptious and/or contrived issue of Peter and Autumn's future liaison and marriage. Anything to sell another issue!

Rhubarb aside, I am only responding to other people's emotions here. "Hello" is not known for trashy journalism. AK&PP actually GAVE the interview and they had full control on what was printed!

It's a cute story and I think they really adore one another. Nothing too suspicious going on, but they also should not expect everyone to buy the coy version of events, no matter how cute it looks on paper. Its not realistic.

well I think that Peter should have said muscht sonner who he was!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom