The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #641  
Old 01-20-2020, 06:35 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,391
Peter and Autumn Phillips and Family Current Events 2: Nov 2005-

Well now....

https://twitter.com/bbchelena/status...215089665?s=21

Peter Phillips is selling milk in China, with the apparent caption British Royal Family member Peter Philips. However this is a translation of the Chinese used in the add.

Of all the thinks to sell, if it’s true he’s not lying though. He is indeed a member of the British royal family.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #642  
Old 01-20-2020, 11:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 10,126
More on his ad, selling milk
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-milk-TV.html
Reply With Quote
  #643  
Old 01-21-2020, 02:10 AM
Dalriada's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 378
The Queen Mum must be turning in her grave:
“THE Queen’s eldest grandson has used his Royal connections to sell milk on Chinese TV – potentially raking in “tens of thousands” for the appearance.
Peter Phillips has appeared in two adverts for a state-owned dairy firm in China – adding to the row over what Harry and Meghan might do next as they seek “financial independence”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/107834...ert-china/amp/
Reply With Quote
  #644  
Old 01-21-2020, 03:26 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
The Queen Mum must be turning in her grave:

Why is she turning in her grave exactly?
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #645  
Old 01-21-2020, 03:34 AM
Dalriada's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why is she turning in her grave exactly?


Disapproval: family before profit! Exploiting his position within the Royal Family regardless of his mother’s decision to raise him without an HRH.
Reply With Quote
  #646  
Old 01-21-2020, 03:35 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
The Queen Mum must be turning in her grave:
“THE Queen’s eldest grandson has used his Royal connections to sell milk on Chinese TV – potentially raking in “tens of thousands” for the appearance.
Peter Phillips has appeared in two adverts for a state-owned dairy firm in China – adding to the row over what Harry and Meghan might do next as they seek “financial independence”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/107834...ert-china/amp/
Peter has and always will be a private citizen with no title or role. And like every other private citizen has the right to make income any legal way.

Peter us no different then his sister, or Kent grandkids, or extended family. Free to pursue any career.

I doubt the queen mum is bothered at all.
Reply With Quote
  #647  
Old 01-21-2020, 03:45 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
Disapproval: family before profit! Exploiting his position within the Royal Family regardless of his mother’s decision to raise him without an HRH.


How exactly? IF the chines translation is correct, he is not lying about his status. He is a member of the royal family.

It’s not like he’s given himself a title just to sell the milk. I would have thought she would be proud of her great-grandson earning a living. It also wasn’t his mother’s decision to raise him without an HRH, it was George V’s.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #648  
Old 01-21-2020, 12:35 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Missouri, United States
Posts: 1,111
Yeesh. I'd bet my last dollar that Princess Anne, HM, Prince Charles, and Prince William are not best pleased and probably, given the unfortunate timing, have not hesitated to say so. Yes, technically Peter is a private citizen with absolutely no title and has the freedom to make any and all deals that he'd like to sign on the dotted line for. And yes, technically he is a member of the royal family. However, when the ad very plainly and specifically states that he is "Peter Phillips, a member of the royal family" and then very clearly implies that he's watching the arrival of HM, uses a replica of one of the official state landaus, uses an estate (without permission, it seems) that resembles those belonging to the RF...combined with the terrible timing, it's a very, very bad look all the way around.

And here I was just last week saying that I hoped Peter would act as a valuable adviser for the family when dealing with the fallout of the Megxit debacle and going forward.
Reply With Quote
  #649  
Old 01-21-2020, 12:40 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 13,071
Yes, I have to agree with Heather on this one.

Its different for Zara because she has a personality outside of the royal family. She is a medal winning Olympian who happens to be a member of the British Royal Family. What is Peter known for....being a member of the British Royal Family!
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #650  
Old 01-21-2020, 12:42 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Yeesh. I'd bet my last dollar that Princess Anne, HM, Prince Charles, and Prince William are not best pleased and probably, given the unfortunate timing, have not hesitated to say so. Yes, technically Peter is a private citizen with absolutely no title and has the freedom to make any and all deals that he'd like to sign on the dotted line for. And yes, technically he is a member of the royal family. However, when the ad very plainly and specifically states that he is "Peter Phillips, a member of the royal family" and then very clearly implies that he's watching the arrival of HM, uses a replica of one of the official state landaus, uses an estate (without permission, it seems) that resembles those belonging to the RF...combined with the terrible timing, it's a very, very bad look all the way around.

And here I was just last week saying that I hoped Peter would act as a valuable adviser for the family when dealing with the fallout of the Megxit debacle and going forward.
I think what Peter forgot, this is the age of the Internet and things can go worldwide in a flash. It is problematic in that it looks to be trading in on his relatives.

In days gone by, he could have made the commercials for showing in the Far East and they might never have been noticed. Years and years ago, film actors used to do that all the time, they wouldn't do commercials in the States but would for markets like Japan.
Reply With Quote
  #651  
Old 01-21-2020, 01:22 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Yeesh. I'd bet my last dollar that Princess Anne, HM, Prince Charles, and Prince William are not best pleased and probably, given the unfortunate timing, have not hesitated to say so. Yes, technically Peter is a private citizen with absolutely no title and has the freedom to make any and all deals that he'd like to sign on the dotted line for. And yes, technically he is a member of the royal family. However, when the ad very plainly and specifically states that he is "Peter Phillips, a member of the royal family" and then very clearly implies that he's watching the arrival of HM, uses a replica of one of the official state landaus, uses an estate (without permission, it seems) that resembles those belonging to the RF...combined with the terrible timing, it's a very, very bad look all the way around.
I agree with everything you say.

But I'm going to play devils advocate because it's fun.

Filming for this took place last year, information coming from tweets responding to RRs mentions the fact this advert has been around for a while. Peter Philips was "beardless" at Sandringham earlier this month. Is it just a tiny bit possible that the papers did some digging and thought this fits in with our current storyline lets run with it? Is it also possible that with the "abdication" this would never have seen the light of day....

A lot of the filming was done green screen, and Peter himself never uses the word royal at all. The only thing related to royalty is he mentions them having Jersey Cattle at Windsor. The use of the word royal, the mention of the family, Jersey being a royal estate of britain is all added in chinese captions which Peter probably can't read.

Now the correct thing to do, which may have been done, was to view the advert as a whole and then assess the impact of how it looked.

The Queen, Prince Charles, Anne and I guess to some extent William might be fully aware of the whole thing. We'll never know.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #652  
Old 01-21-2020, 01:27 PM
Zaira's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 1,217
This is hardly the first time Peter has been credibly accused of cashing in on his royal status/connections.

Him and Zara get away with a lot tbh.

Arguably, this is how the world works no matter what. Who your family is is how many people find opportunities and such.

I just think folks need to be consistent if they are going to call it out or foul or not on some but not on others. These ads are cringy though.
Reply With Quote
  #653  
Old 01-21-2020, 01:33 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Missouri, United States
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I agree with everything you say.

But I'm going to play devils advocate because it's fun.

Filming for this took place last year, information coming from tweets responding to RRs mentions the fact this advert has been around for a while. Peter Philips was "beardless" at Sandringham earlier this month. Is it just a tiny bit possible that the papers did some digging and thought this fits in with our current storyline lets run with it? Is it also possible that with the "abdication" this would never have seen the light of day....

A lot of the filming was done green screen, and Peter himself never uses the word royal at all. The only thing related to royalty is he mentions them having Jersey Cattle at Windsor. The use of the word royal, the mention of the family, Jersey being a royal estate of britain is all added in chinese captions which Peter probably can't read.

Now the correct thing to do, which may have been done, was to view the advert as a whole and then assess the impact of how it looked.

The Queen, Prince Charles, Anne and I guess to some extent William might be fully aware of the whole thing. We'll never know.
Frankly, I don't really care when it was filmed or what might or might not have been happening at the time. It's really inappropriate and, given the fact that Peter is supposed to be a highly competent businessman, I find it hard to believe that he signed a contract that didn't give him the right to review and have edit powers over the final product as a whole. There's no way this should have ever been made as it was, approved, or aired no matter when it was done. The fact that it's coming to light now may very well be a case of unfortunate coincidental timing but the fact that it was done at all and signed off on is a massive problem.
Reply With Quote
  #654  
Old 01-21-2020, 01:43 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
This is hardly the first time Peter has been credibly accused of cashing in on his royal status/connections.

Him and Zara get away with a lot tbh.

Arguably, this is how the world works no matter what. Who your family is is how many people find opportunities and such.

I just think folks need to be consistent if they are going to call it out or foul or not on some but not on others. These ads are cringy though.
Zara is also a medal winning Olympic athlete married to a former World Cup winning professional rugby player. Yes, being the Queen's grandaughter boosts her profile, but in the sports world Zara & Mike are still players without the royal connection.
Peter's sister has a higher profile than him because of her own endeavors.
Reply With Quote
  #655  
Old 01-21-2020, 02:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 10,126
Agree.

For Peter- why get a proper job when he can just cash in?
Now if he had worked for the milk industry, It'll be different but this ad just highlights the British Royal connection.
Reply With Quote
  #656  
Old 01-21-2020, 02:35 PM
moby's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,226
Yikes...like that Economist article said: capitalism is indeed the biggest threat to the monarchy these days.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), there's yet to be a Windsor version of Kris Jenner or these guys could make loads of money!
Reply With Quote
  #657  
Old 01-21-2020, 03:07 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Agree.

For Peter- why get a proper job when he can just cash in?
.
You mean his proper job as Chairman and CEO of City Racing? The company that actually negotiates the sponsorship deals to give his sister the "proper job" that she has?

There's no doubting Zara's sporting background, however most recently all I've heard about is her sponsorship deals with various companies. Mike Tindall hasn't played professionally in 7 years, and is involved with charity work.

I'm not using any of this against anyone, however to assert that Peter doesn't have a proper job, when Zara doesn't appear to have one either isn't particularly fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Peter's sister has a higher profile than him because of her own endeavors.
Not disagreeing, but all of Zara's current sponsorship deals have been negotiated or arranged by her brother through his company.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #658  
Old 01-21-2020, 03:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 10,126
good to know about his "proper job".
But I guess the price to cash in on being a member of the BRF was too good to ignore ; D
Reply With Quote
  #659  
Old 01-21-2020, 03:19 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Missouri, United States
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
You mean his proper job as Chairman and CEO of City Racing? The company that actually negotiates the sponsorship deals to give his sister the "proper job" that she has?

There's no doubting Zara's sporting background, however most recently all I've heard about is her sponsorship deals with various companies. Mike Tindall hasn't played professionally in 7 years, and is involved with charity work.

I'm not using any of this against anyone, however to assert that Peter doesn't have a proper job, when Zara doesn't appear to have one either isn't particularly fair.



Not disagreeing, but all of Zara's current sponsorship deals have been negotiated or arranged by her brother through his company.
Which speaks again to how monumentally poor this decision was when it's clear that he has the ability to negotiate a contract that allows him oversight of the finished product. So, either he failed to get that point secured which I find hard to believe or he signed off on this as the finished product which is a massive error in judgment.
Reply With Quote
  #660  
Old 01-21-2020, 03:23 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,391
Just to mention, the translation of the caption in the advert that the press are saying was "British Royal Family", is actually "British Royal House". There are apparently a dozen other translation issues from Chinese to English.

This coming from a native language speaker.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
autumn phillips, peter phillips


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Stephanie Current Events Part 11 : Nov.2007 - Nov.2008 tbhrc Current Events Archive 195 11-26-2008 11:49 AM
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 7: Nov. 2007-Nov. 2008 GlitteringTiaras Current Events Archive 346 11-11-2008 04:39 PM
Queen Elizabeth II Tiaras & Necklaces 1: Nov 2005-Nov 2007 HMQueenElizabethII Royal Jewels 188 11-28-2007 07:57 PM
HSH Prince Albert Current Events 12 : Sept.2005 - Nov.2005 Gabriella Current Events Archive 209 10-31-2005 08:47 PM




Popular Tags
abdullah ii africa albert prince consort all tags arcadie arcadie claret austria caribbean caroline charles iii claret current events danish royal family death denmark duarte pio duchess of kent edward vii emperor naruhito empress masako espana garsenda genealogy general news grace kelly grimaldi hamdan bin ahmed harry history identifying india introduction king charles king philippe king willem-alexander leopold ier louis mountbatten matrilineal monaco monarchy mountbatten official visit order of precedence portugal prince albert monaco prince christian princess of orange queen queen alexandra queen camilla queen elizabeth queen ena of spain queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria republics restoration royal initials royal wedding silk spanish history spanish royal family state visit switzerland tiaras visit william wine glass woven


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023
Jelsoft Enterprises