Peter and Autumn Phillips To Divorce: February 11, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's probably for the best. Now both have a chance to find partners that they're better suited with.

I know some royal watchers were mopey that after Beatrice they'd have to wait 10-20 yrs until the Wessex kids were ready to marry. Well, now there is a very real chance Peter will remarry before then, likely a scaled back wedding similar to Anne and Tim's. It'll be hard to imagine Peter dating anyone besides Autumn, but it'll be interesting too. His two most serious relationships were with North American blondes, I wonder if he'll stick with type or branch out to something different.

i'm not that worried about the girls. Their parents have a successful template to work from. Mark and Anne have lived very close to each other, and have done so amicably. So Peter will know how to manage a post-divorce family.

I wonder if Autumn will convert back to Catholicism...

How sad....divorce is so wrenching, though it’s better than remaining in a miserable marriage where the parents are unhappy. I’m glad that they will remain in the UK and share custody - the poor little girls will need both of their parents.

Well it's confirmed and sad to hear it. The tabloids were getting out of control with dragging Autumn so I think they had to put out a statement to staunch the bleeding. Unfortunately the first stories are still on DM's page and the tabloids aren't going to back off. A royal divorce and potential custody fight sells.

Since the BRF knew about it from last year how did Dan Wooten get a hold of it? This guy loves to brag he has snitches inside the royal households.

So definitely Peter will go to his cousin's wedding alone, without Autumn.
I wonder if his daughters will be flowergirls.

So definitely Peter will go to his cousin's wedding alone, without Autumn.
I wonder if his daughters will be flowergirls.

I don’t see why that’s a definite? Autumn has been part of the RF for 13 years, she doesn’t immediately get cut off from everything. If Beatrice wants her there, and the girls are flower girls then I don’t see why she doesn’t go?

It's probably for the best. Now both have a chance to find partners that they're better suited with.

I wonder if Autumn will convert back to Catholicism...

I'd be willing to wager that at least one already has!
Probably we won't see anyone else for several months, but eventually either Peter or Autumn will make an appearance with a new SO.

As for Autumn converting back to Catholicism, I think that might open her up to a lot of criticism as to how sincere her switch to CoE was in the first place.

Last edited:
Honestly, out of all British royals the only ones I’m sure won’t get a divorce are Charles/Camilla and William/Catherine. Not because their marriages are some unicorn that could never break up, but because I expect these couples know that divorce is simply not an option no mater what. They might end up living separate lives, but they’d never actually get a divorce and would keep the front for the public.

And if we are to be honest, even with them nothing is a guarantee.
I'm sure many people thought it would be impossible for Charles and Diana to divorced given that he is the Prince of Wales.
Even now believe it or not, Charles and Camilla are actually more likely to get divorced according to statistics on divorced persons.

As for the Cambridges you never know. I would hope that they never get divorced for the sake of their family and the monarchy but one truly never knows what goes on behind closed doors. Also there is a precedence of heirs getting divorced. So it would not be the end of the world if they ever did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's confirmed and sad to hear it. The tabloids were getting out of control with dragging Autumn so I think they had to put out a statement to staunch the bleeding. Unfortunately the first stories are still on DM's page and the tabloids aren't going to back off. A royal divorce and potential custody fight sells.

Since the BRF knew about it from last year how did Dan Wooten get a hold of it? This guy loves to brag he has snitches inside the royal households.

Well that's a surprise. If they are happier like this , who are we to judge ?

All we can say is that the end oh HM's reign is not smooth sailing, to say the least ...

Charles and Camilla got married when they were much older; I’m guessing the divorce rates on older and/or second marriages are not as great. That said, it’s kind of unseemly to try and guess who might be the next to divorce..let’s hope they are all happy and that non of them has to go through this pain

I don’t see why that’s a definite? Autumn has been part of the RF for 13 years, she doesn’t immediately get cut off from everything. If Beatrice wants her there, and the girls are flower girls then I don’t see why she doesn’t go?

Because now when the information about their separation is confirmed, all guests will know that they are separated and the situation will be somewhat awkward.
If I were Autumn, I would feel uncomfortable.
Maybe she will be present at the Wedding mass but not at the Wedding reception.

Exactly. I don't get this odd need to just cut these people out the family even if they are no longer official members. Why wouldn't Autumn attend? Those relationships don't just stop because a divorce has happened.

Exactly. I don't get this odd need to just cut these people out the family even if they are no longer official members. Why wouldn't Autumn attend? Those relationships don't just stop because a divorce has happened.

Especially since Autumn has not caused any scandals!

Because now when the information about their separation is confirmed, all guests will know that they are separated and the situation will be somewhat awkward.
If I were Autumn, I would feel uncomfortable.
Maybe she will be present at the Wedding mass but not at the Wedding reception.

So what? They are getting divorced. This is not a scandal. Why would this be awkward? Not like she will be the only divorced person in the room.

Autumn has no reason to feel uncomfortable going to the wedding of a person who has been in her life for many many years. They are still family.

I'd be willing to wager that at least one already has!
Probably we won't see anyone else for several months, but eventually either Peter or Autumn will make an appearance with a new SO.

As for Autumn converting back to Catholicism, I think that might open her up to a lot of criticism as to how sincere her switch to CoE was in the first place.

Exactly. That's part of the reason I feel that "conversion" for any other reason than true belief and faith...vs. simply marital convenience, is really a bad idea.

Since Peter Phillips and his children have as much chance as ascending the Throne as I do, there was no need for Autumn to change her religion other than sincere desire.

As Moonmaiden said, it wasn't as if Peter was going to become king anyway. Prince Michael and the Earl of St Andrews (I think?) both just dropped out of the line of succession. Plenty of people convert to a partner's religion on marriage just because it makes life easier if you are hoping to have children and raise them in a particular religion, so maybe that was her reason.

Nothing's been said about her either changing her religion or moving back to Canada, though.

It's very awkward when couples split up and you try to stay friends with both partners, especially if one of them is your relation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

Diana's went to family weddings when she was separated. There is no reason Autumn can't, especially if her daughters are flower girls.

One thing for sure is Wooten do have snitches inside the BRF that leaks out stories to him.

I wonder if Autumn is returning now to communion with the Roman Catholic Church. I apologize if the topic has been discussed before, but I didn’t read the whole thread.

One thing for sure is Wooten do have snitches inside the BRF that leaks out stories to him.

The statement from BP said the family has known since last year, so the story was bound to get out at some point.

I wonder if Autumn is returning now to communion with the Roman Catholic Church. I apologize if the topic has been discussed before, but I didn’t read the whole thread.

Religion is not mentioned in the announcement. The full statement says:

After informing HM The Queen and members of both families last year, Peter and Autumn jointly agreed to separate.

They had reached the conclusion that this was the best course of action for their two children and ongoing friendship.

The decision to divorce and share custody came about after many months of discussions and although sad, is an amicable one.

The couple's first priority will remain the continued well being and upbringing of their wonderful daughters Savannah (nine) and Isla (seven).

Both families were naturally sad at the announcement, but fully supportive of Peter and Autumn in the joint decision to co-parent their children.​

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10937...on-peter-phillips-confirms-split-wife-autumn/

It is interesting that the announcement was released in the name of the couple rather than Buckingham Palace, and that it refers to the couple on a first-name basis, just as with the announcements about the Sussexes in January.

It's very awkward when couples split up and you try to stay friends with both partners, especially if one of them is your relation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

And usually it doesn't, imo. ;)

Sad news. I miss Autumn to see her at the Royal Gatherings.

It is interesting that the announcement was released in the name of the couple rather than Buckingham Palace, and that it refers to the couple on a first-name basis, just as with the announcements about the Sussexes in January.

I expect that's because they aren't working members so they don't communicate via BP's press office.

Very sad for all involved. But lets the honest the royal family belong to a class of people with a high divorce rate, numerous marriages and blended families. It is a miracle any marriage works for them. 12 years is a good amount of time and if you took a French view of these things it would be to live for relationships being right in the moment and that you don't think of the future.

I hope Autumn has made friends here and can settle because I can't see it working for her wanting to take the girls to Canada. What I can see happening is the girls going boarding at 13 and her returning to Canada then. The reality is England is their home and moving them to another country at the moment would be the worst think but I can see her wanting to go home. But it's complicated when you move for someone. You kind of get stuck. She will probably meet someone else and stay anyway. Usually what happens.

Last edited:
:previous: She has lived in the UK for over a decade. A large chunk of her adult life. She doesn’t seem like a cold mean person who no one would want around. Pretty confident she had friends, activities and a life beyond her kids in the UK.

For all her being Canadian after what 15 years abroad between the UK and Asia settling back in Canada wouldn’t be easy. Not returning to her job or to old friends. Life moved on in Canada too. She is not a recent transplant she has been an expat most of her adult life.

It truly is sad news but hopefully the announcement is true and divorcing as friends. Makes for coparenting much easier. We see the York girls how better adjusted they were in ways as their parents divorce was amicable.

As for Beatrice wedding it stands to be seen. Divorced members are not automatically off the list. It seems to depend on the relationship you had with the divorced member. Almost twelve years in the family officially she should have a relationship with the cousins.

William didn’t invite the exes. But Harry had two of his three former aunts at his wedding. Fergie and Victoria were both present (only 2nd countess Spencer was not).

:previous: She has lived in the UK for over a decade. A large chunk of her adult life. She doesn’t seem like a cold mean person who no one would want around. Pretty confident she had friends, activities and a life beyond her kids in the UK.

For all her being Canadian after what 15 years abroad between the UK and Asia settling back in Canada wouldn’t be easy. Not returning to her job or to old friends. Life moved on in Canada too. She is not a recent transplant she has been an expat most of her adult life.

It truly is sad news but hopefully the announcement is true and divorcing as friends. Makes for coparenting much easier. We see the York girls how better adjusted they were in ways as their parents divorce was amicable.

As for Beatrice wedding it stands to be seen. Divorced members are not automatically off the list. It seems to depend on the relationship you had with the divorced member. Almost twelve years in the family officially she should have a relationship with the cousins.

William didn’t invite the exes. But Harry had two of his three former aunts at his wedding. Fergie and Victoria were both present (only 2nd countess Spencer was not).

I don't think he knew the second Countess and also her children weren't there.

She has but where your family is calls out to people.

She has but where your family is calls out to people.

She has lived in a different country then her family for fifteen years. There are expats all over the world in different countries then family.

Basically Canada has one thing going and that’s her family. UK has her kids, her friends, her life she has built for over a decade.

I don't think he knew the second Countess and also her children weren't there.

I doubt he never met Caroline. Unlike his brother he has remained close to the Spencer’s over the years. It seems more that unlike Victoria who was his aunt in his childhood and he had a link to, Caroline was a short lived marriage in Harry’s adult years so not the same bond. Lara and Edmund are only teens, 15 and 13 at the time of the wedding. Not surprising they were not on the list.

Last edited:
Sad news for all involved they always looked like such a happy united couple.

She has lived in a different country then her family for fifteen years. There are expats all over the world in different countries then family.

Basically Canada has one thing going and that’s her family. UK has her kids, her friends, her life she has built for over a decade.

I sure hope so because she couldn't really go back at the moment anyway. Hope she does have an independent support network because apart from the shock the beginning of a separation is often the easiest as very little changes but as people move on and meet new people it becomes more difficult and your soon just not part of your old world.

Last edited:
I doubt he never met Caroline. Unlike his brother he has remained close to the Spencer’s over the years. It seems more that unlike Victoria who was his aunt in his childhood and he had a link to, Caroline was a short lived marriage in Harry’s adult years so not the same bond. Lara and Edmund are only teens, 15 and 13 at the time of the wedding. Not surprising they were not on the list.

Oh I am sure he met her. What I meant we more what you said. She was married to his uncle at a time when he probably wasn't that interested in family.

And while Harry is close to his aunts and Kitty. I don't think either brother has been that close to their uncle.

Back
Top Bottom