Peter and Autumn Phillips To Divorce: February 11, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This reason for divorce is almost laughable to me. The most innocuous reason they could come up with.

^I believe what The Sun is saying, they have probably just grown apart, although it sounds like Autumn initiated the divorce, she might have been unhappy for whatever reason... surely if there were other issues (affairs etc) in their marriage there would have been tabloid speculation.

Every breakup necessarily involves 'growing apart' in some way. No one should expect any divorcing couple to publicize specific details, although that does sometimes happen in high profile messy, bitter, contested divorces.

Tabloids will always be tabloids, feeding upon human foibles and personal sadness. Not to mention constant speculation to the point of boldly and irresponsibly making up false stories.

Last edited:
A few posts have been removed. Let’s keep the discussion on Peter and Autumn and not turn this into a discussion about Harry and Meghan, or any other member of the BRF. Thanks.

I don't think that Katherine Kent was born RC. She became a Catholic in her middle years, and that meant that her husband would be out of the succession. However its hardly much of a sacrifice as he was so far down the line.. and yes she is a very devout Catholic who takes her faith seriously. Her children chose to be confirmed as RC's (2 of them_) which also took them out fo the succession at the time but again it was harldy that much of a sacrifice as they were even further down the line.

It was considered rather odd at the time, as I recall for Autumn to convert because Peter had zero chance of succeeding...but it was her choice...

I don't see it as odd for Autumn to have converted to the Church of England. While dating and after her engagement to Peter, she probably attended church services with Peter and developed a strong Anglican faith.

BTW, the Duchess of Kent's name is spelled: Katharine.

Indeed Katherine Kent is not a good comparison to Autumn. She was not born catholic. She was baptized at All Saints Hovingham which is an Anglican Church, her parents married at St Margaret’s Westminster. She converted in 1994 as an adult after years of marriage. She never converted for marriage.

:previous:

Thanks. No comparison to Autumn then since Katharine Kent (nee Worsley) was not raised Roman Catholic. Note the proper spelling of the Duchess of Kent's first name.

The reality is like most people of their age religion likely doesn't play a huge part in their lives. I don't think Autumn or Peter were forced into her converting and she likely felt religion had played so little a part in her life it was easier to convert than jump through hurdles or face Peter loosing his place in succession.

I highly doubt religion has played any part in the divorce nor will Autumn be running to turn back to Catholicism any time soon.

Interesting as to the reasons for the divorce, I read in one of the articles that Peter works many weekdays in London where he has a flat and then returns to Gatcombe, this makes it more likely that they grew apart IMO. And would also explain why Autumn is happy to stay close by, she may feel she has more friends and close contacts nearby, possibly more so than Peter even.

Last edited:
:previous:

Thanks. No comparison to Autumn then since Katharine Kent (nee Worsley) was not raised Roman Catholic. Note the proper spelling of the Duchess of Kent's first name.

No,she's no comparison to Autumn.. she is very devoted to her faith and It is I think a consolation to her for troubles.

and some of her children were allowed to convert to their mother's faith as well (which meant they willingly gave up their place in the line of succession).

Of the Kents' children, only Nicholas converted and has lost his place in the succession.

The Earl of St Andrews lost his place when he married Sylvana as she was Roman Catholic, but has now regained his place with the rules change.

A number of the Kents' grandchildren--Nicholas's children were baptized Catholic, and a couple of the children of Earl of St Andrews converted to Roman Catholicism-- are no longer in the line of succession.

Last edited:
The reality is like most people of their age religion likely doesn't play a huge part in their lives. I don't think Autumn or Peter were forced into her converting and she likely felt religion had played so little a part in her life it was easier to convert than jump through hurdles or face Peter loosing his place in succession.

I highly doubt religion has played any part in the divorce nor will Autumn be running to turn back to Catholicism any time soon.

Interesting as to the reasons for the divorce, I read in one of the articles that Peter works many weekdays in London where he has a flat and then returns to Gatcombe, this makes it more likely that they grew apart IMO. And would also explain why Autumn is happy to stay close by, she may feel she has more friends and close contacts nearby, possibly more so than Peter even.
But it would hardly have mattered to Peter... He was well down in the succession...
she may have thought that it would be easier to have one church in the house.
It is pertty common for people who are well to do and work In London to have a flat there, and return to the country place for weekends..

Of the Kents' children, only Nicholas converted and has lost his place in the succession.

The Earl of St Andrews lost his place when he married Sylvana as she was Roman Catholic, but has now regained his place with the rules change.

A number of the Kents' grandchildren--Nicholas's children were baptized Catholic, and a couple of the children of Earl of St Andrews converted to Roman Catholicism and are no longer in the line of succession.

sorry that's it..it is George St Andrew's children - 2 of the 3 of them became RC's at their confirmation. And yes Nicholas Windsor is quite a strong RC

Every breakup necessarily involves 'growing apart' in some way. No one should expect any divorcing couple to publicize specific details, although that does sometimes happen in high profile messy, bitter, contested divorces.

Tabloids will always be tabloids, feeding upon human foibles and personal sadness. Not to mention constant speculation to the point of boldly and irresponsibly making up false stories.

Exactly. Who knows what happened. It is none of our business. I doubt it was done lightly. And despite the claim Peter was surprised, we learned they been separated for months. It is just the papers doing their usual.

The most important thing is they co parent their girls. They seem to be attempting to have a positive relationship and that is all that matters.

I don't think that Katherine Kent was born RC. She became a Catholic in her middle years, and that meant that her husband would be out of the succession. However its hardly much of a sacrifice as he was so far down the line

Actually, there was a Quirk in the Act of Settlement and Katharine Kent's conversion did NOT take the Duke of Kent out of the line of succession as she converted after their marriage. It was marrying a Catholic that took people out of the succession.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_of_Settlement_1701
"Removal from the succession due to Catholicism
Since the Act's passing the most senior living member of the royal family to have married a Roman Catholic, and thereby to have been removed from the line of succession, is Prince Michael of Kent, who married Baroness Marie-Christine von Reibnitz in 1978; he was fifteenth in the line of succession at the time. He was restored to the line of succession in 2015 when the Succession to the Crown Act 2013 came into force, and became 34th in line.[18]

The next most senior living descendant of the Electress Sophia who had been ineligible to succeed on this ground is George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews, the elder son of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, who married the Roman Catholic Sylvana Palma Tomaselli in 1988. His son, Lord Downpatrick, converted to Roman Catholicism in 2003 and is the most senior descendant of Sophia to be barred as a result of his religion. In 2008 his daughter, Lady Marina Windsor, also converted to Catholicism and was removed from the line of succession. More recently, Peter Phillips, the son of Anne, Princess Royal, and eleventh in line to the throne, married Autumn Kelly; Kelly had been brought up as a Roman Catholic, but she converted to Anglicanism prior to the wedding. Had she not done so, Phillips would have forfeited his place in the succession upon their marriage, only to have it restored in 2015.

Excluding those princesses who have married into Roman Catholic royal families, such as Marie of Edinburgh, Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg and Princess Beatrice of Edinburgh, one member of the Royal Family (that is, with the style of Royal Highness) has converted to Roman Catholicism since the passage of the Act: the Duchess of Kent, wife of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, who converted on 14 January 1994, but her husband did not lose his place in the succession because she was an Anglican at the time of their marriage."

The full statement says:

After informing HM The Queen and members of both families last year, Peter and Autumn jointly agreed to separate.

They had reached the conclusion that this was the best course of action for their two children and ongoing friendship.

The decision to divorce and share custody came about after many months of discussions and although sad, is an amicable one.

The couple's first priority will remain the continued well being and upbringing of their wonderful daughters Savannah (nine) and Isla (seven).

Both families were naturally sad at the announcement, but fully supportive of Peter and Autumn in the joint decision to co-parent their children.​

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10937...on-peter-phillips-confirms-split-wife-autumn/

Actually, there appears to be more to the statement:

"Both Peter and Autumn have remained in Gloucestershire to bring up their two children where they have been settled for a number of years.

"Peter and Autumn have requested privacy and compassion for their children while the family continues to adapt to these changes."​

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10937196/peter-phillips-split-bombshell-queen/

Technically Anne's children are not royals, but she is, and she's their mother. Therefore, the Phillips children and grandchildren are perceived as 'minor royals' since they are related to royals and take part in royal family gatherings, as well as public celebrations like Trooping the Colour. Actually, it seems that Peter's family takes part in some of these royal gatherings more-so than Zara Tindall and her family do. Zara seems to skip Christmas at Sandringham and I don't see her too often at Trooping, although she might be there behind-the-scenes, or her daughters are there sometimes for the BP flyover.

Further, the Princess Royal's children(-in-law) and grandchildren technically are members of the Royal Family. (This is nothing strange; most European monarchies now allow descendants to be counted as members of the royal family without bearing a royal title or even family name.)

https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/files/media/annex_d_-_royal_family_9.pdf

Actually they are not royals. Peter belongs to the Phillips family, rather than the “ Family and House of Windsor” or the Mountbatten-Windsor family.

Ok so they are not technically royals, but they still are the Queen's grandson and his wife, in fact those two gave the Queen her first great-grandchild. .

I imagine that the Daily Mail or The Sun did some digging after Autumn wasnt pictured at Sandringham. The Daily Mail have managed to dig up her past in Canada, none of it that riveting (the best they could is that she smoked some weed and she liked a party lol). What I am trying to say is there is some interest in them by the tabloids / public whether they have royal titles or not.

Apparently (according to the Sun - not necessarily trustworthy but they clearly have some insight information) the divorce is blamed on growing apart due to a lot of business travel and spending little time with each other. The queen was supposedly informed in September (probably the weekend they attended the Games in Scotland together?) and for the moment they still share a house but one of them intends to move out at some point but the intention is to keep living nearby.

Do you believe that Peter will keep the house and Autumn will move elsewhere?

The Duchess of Kent was brought up Church of England. She only converted to Catholicism in her 60s. Two of her grandchildren converted, but their mother's Catholic.

I've known plenty of people convert to a partner's religion on marriage, although it's far less common now than it used to be. The usual reason is that they've agreed to bring up any children in that religion, and feel that it would be weird for one parent to be the odd one out in the household. Maybe that was partly Autumn's reason.

The Duchess of Kent converted for genuine religious reasons, but a lot of people just aren't very bothered about religion these days, and only attend religious services on special occasions. The Duchess of Cambridge wasn't officially confirmed until she and Prince William got engaged - presumably the Middletons, like many families these days, were not regular churchgoers and just weren't that interested. I've never had the impression that any of the Phillips family were all that religious either. Good luck to them all, whatever they decide to do!

This Wedding started well : with a Royal sell out for the magazine Hello !

Let's get back on topic...all conversation regarding Autumn and whether or not she will got back to Catholicism, who in the extended BRF are Catholics, line of succession, etc. is off topic and speculative.

Additional posts will be deleted without notice.

I think a house will be found for Autumn on or very close to the Gatcombe estate, or maybe she will stay in their house while somewhere else is found for Peter especially if he is working away a lot.

Anne and her ex Mark coped living as "neighbours" (on a massive estate) and I'm sure Anne would be happy for Peter and Autumn to at least try the same.

We it's on his mother's land but stranger things have happened.

Some couples take turns moving back and forth so that the children can remain in their home rather than shuttling between Mom’s house and Dad’s house. I hope those girls can enjoy that stability.

We it's on his mother's land but stranger things have happened.

Probably she'll keep the house and he will have another place on the estate and his flat in London...

Wow, I must admit that I was surprised to hear this news! Sad that their situations had to come to this; but I'm glad that they are deciding to co-parent because what is most sad about a lot of divorces is single custody, especially with young children as they often get confused on why they can't live with mummy and daddy at the same time - often the aftermath of divorce can affect them later on in life, too, if their parents separated in earlier childhood. Savannah and Isla are still young so it's "nice" to hear that it seems that the relationship broke just because the couple drifted apart as a romantic relationship.

Back
Top Bottom