The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 02-11-2020, 04:22 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 10,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
As a lifelong practicing Catholic I'll weigh in here and say that in all likelihood the decision would lie with the priest and the bishop of the diocese in which she attends Mass. Technically, yes, I believe she would need to participate in RCIA classes but in practice, it's possible that they'd ask her to meet with the priest and/or the bishop a time or two, attend Confession, etc. and would then reinstate her.
Not sure she would need to be re-catechized but I agree, the decision is up to the bishop of the diocese she would reside in.

At the very least she would need to make a Confession of Faith and receive the Eucharist after the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

But I don't see her returning to the Church, frankly.
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 02-11-2020, 04:24 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Missouri, United States
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Not sure she would need to be re-catechized but I agree, the decision is up to the bishop of the diocese she would reside in.

At the very least she would need to make a Confession of Faith and receive the Eucharist after the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

But I don't see her returning to the Church, frankly.
I really don't, either. For a variety of reasons. But no matter what she chooses to do regarding religion I certainly wouldn't expect a statement so I don't really think we'll ever know for sure. But I agree with you, I don't see her ever returning to the Church.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 02-11-2020, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The telegraph is reporting friends of the couple saying the likely outcome will be Autumn living nearby to Peter to help them share looking after the children and to allow them all to stay in touch with Peter's family.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...e-say-friends/

Peter and Autumn Phillips intend to be neighbours after their divorce, according to friends who yesterday denied their break-up was linked to ‘Megxit’.

The Queen found out about her grandson’s separation from his Canadian wife of 12 years last autumn, more than three months before the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced they were stepping down as senior royals to move to North America.

Last night, sources close to Mr and Mrs Phillips insisted Autumn had no intention of returning to her native Montreal, revealing that the couple are still living together at the family home in Gloucestershire and plan to "live nearby" once their divorce is finalised.

“The idea that this is in any way linked to Megxit is laughable,” said one insider. “Autumn has no plans to go back to Canada. She is very happy in Gloucestershire and wants their daughters Savannah and Isla to be as close to Peter and his family as possible. They are still living together and intend to remain living nearby.”
I’m really glad about that...it’s a devastating turn of events, but Peter and Autumn seem to be handling this as well as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Of course not. Although I would hope that in most marriages it would be possible to remain married when you want to keep your friendship .
Well, for those couples whose marriages are intact and thriving, that’s no doubt the case. However, if a couple has grown apart, wants different things out of life, etc...then remaining in the marriage will only breed resentment, and if that grows, maintaining a friendship is nearly impossible. To save a friendship, you often have to end a marriage.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 02-11-2020, 05:23 PM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
They're not likely to make a statement which insinuates that the marriage has ended badly and they are not friends. I shouldn't wonder though if Autumn might go back to Canada when the girls are older...
I doubt it, the girls will more than likely remain in the UK, marry and have children. Autumn will most likely want to be near her daughters and grandchildren at that point.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 02-11-2020, 05:58 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: -, United States
Posts: 207
Wonder how Princess Anne is taking the news? She is probably pragmatic about it.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 02-11-2020, 06:17 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,205
Yep. The Princess Royal is the definition of being pragmatic. She's been down that road, done the divorce thing and earned the t-shirt. With the Phillips remaining friends and co-parenting their girls, its not that much different to having her own ex-husband living on the Gatcomb estate and still being on friendly terms with him as she moved on and married Tim.

Divorce is not always necessarily a messy, tension filled war zone and to me, it seems like the Phillips divorce is being handled in a calm, adult manner which makes it easier all the way around.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 02-11-2020, 09:28 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,957
Apparently (according to the Sun - not necessarily trustworthy but they clearly have some insight information) the divorce is blamed on growing apart due to a lot of business travel and spending little time with each other. The queen was supposedly informed in September (probably the weekend they attended the Games in Scotland together?) and for the moment they still share a house but one of them intends to move out at some point but the intention is to keep living nearby.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 02-11-2020, 11:47 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Dunedin, New Zealand
Posts: 29
^I believe what The Sun is saying, they have probably just grown apart, although it sounds like Autumn initiated the divorce, she might have been unhappy for whatever reason. Sad but these things happen.

They are only minor royals but surely if there were other issues (affairs etc) in their marriage there would have been tabloid speculation.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 02-12-2020, 02:27 AM
carlota's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 8,291
Yet another blow to HMQ. The BRF is certainly not having its best time lately.

I’ve always liked peter and autumn as they were discrete and always acted accordingly to what their position requested of them. I bet the queen appreciates this, rather than a couple filled with drama and a “me me me” attitude.

The statement said autumn will remain in the U.K. in Gloucestershire. Since they probably live at gatcombe I assume that means she will find a house in the vicinity to be close to her daughters. Not sure how it would work - maybe autumn would have custody and they’d be allowed some days with Peter??? Or does coparent mean that there’s no such arrangement and they work out how many days with each as they go?

She may become catholic again - I don’t see it as a big issue it’s not like the public would ever find out if she did! (Nor doubt peter nor the queen mind)
__________________
The Humane Society of the United States is the nation’s largest and most effective animal protection organization.
https://www.humanesociety.org
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 02-12-2020, 02:54 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,132
This isn't 1936. Divorce isn't shocking or scandalous any more. It's sad for the people concerned, especially when there are children involved, but it's not going to affect the image or position of the Royal Family. It's good to see that Peter and Autumn are behaving in such a sensible and mature way about it.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 02-12-2020, 03:57 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Dunedin, New Zealand
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
Yet another blow to HMQ. The BRF is certainly not having its best time lately.

I’ve always liked peter and autumn as they were discrete and always acted accordingly to what their position requested of them. I bet the queen appreciates this, rather than a couple filled with drama and a “me me me” attitude.

The statement said autumn will remain in the U.K. in Gloucestershire. Since they probably live at gatcombe I assume that means she will find a house in the vicinity to be close to her daughters. Not sure how it would work - maybe autumn would have custody and they’d be allowed some days with Peter??? Or does coparent mean that there’s no such arrangement and they work out how many days with each as they go?

She may become catholic again - I don’t see it as a big issue it’s not like the public would ever find out if she did! (Nor doubt peter nor the queen mind)
Is she actually Catholic though or was she just brought up Catholic in Canada? I mean she could have already lapsed before she converted to the Church of England, I dont know much about her background but I cant see her going back to her Catholic faith after all these years, especially if her children are brought up in the Church of England.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 02-12-2020, 05:38 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 830
I would say as to Bea's wedding she is probably still going to go if she were going to go in the first place. As to moving to Canada I'd think she'd stay in the UK - there's no reason for her to be in exile and she would want her children to be near their father. There's no evidence this is an acrimonious divorce.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 02-12-2020, 07:22 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 6,303
We saw this Monday on French télévison "Secret d' Histoire "about the Duke of Edinburgh.
It ended with the first picture of Archie.....

I wonder if He knows about Andrew , his Son , Harry and Peter his Grandsons ?
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 02-12-2020, 07:23 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I would say as to Bea's wedding she is probably still going to go if she were going to go in the first place. As to moving to Canada I'd think she'd stay in the UK - there's no reason for her to be in exile and she would want her children to be near their father. There's no evidence this is an acrimonious divorce.
not a case of exile.. but its possible that as she gets older, she might prefer to live in her own country. She will be well off enough to visit the children if they are settled in the UK when they're older. People often enjoy living in a different place for a long tiem..and as they grow older they begin to long for their native land..
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 02-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
We saw this Monday on French télévison "Secret d' Histoire "about the Duke of Edinburgh.
It ended with the first picture of Archie.....

I wonder if He knows about Andrew , his Son , Harry and Peter his Grandsons ?
If by the Duke of Edinburgh you're referring to Philip, I would imagine that he not only knows everything that has been going on in the family and their lives but also has been quite vocal in his opinions on it. He's still very much the patriarch of the Windsor family and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The Queen may reign but Philip rules the roost where the family is concerned. He always did. Andrew was summoned to Sandringham where Philip resides mostly at Wood Farm for a pow wow with Philip and Charles. This is a good example of Philip keeping his finger on the pulse of the family.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...summoning-son/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
not a case of exile.. but its possible that as she gets older, she might prefer to live in her own country. She will be well off enough to visit the children if they are settled in the UK when they're older. People often enjoy living in a different place for a long tiem..and as they grow older they begin to long for their native land..
Then again, there's the saying "you can't go home again". Moving away and making a new life and establishing that life in new surrounding over the years becomes home. As someone that has transplanted from my native Michigan, I'd no more think of moving back there than I would think of moving to anywhere else besides where I am. This is home for me. My life is here.

With Autumn being living in the UK and elsewhere with Peter for over a decade, she's made a new life for herself and a new home. Her children are in the UK. So, I really don't think Canada is on the agenda at all in the forseeable future.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 02-12-2020, 11:49 AM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Would not Autumn be required to take RCIA religious classes for several months to become a Roman Catholic once again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
As a lifelong practicing Catholic I'll weigh in here and say that in all likelihood the decision would lie with the priest and the bishop of the diocese in which she attends Mass. Technically, yes, I believe she would need to participate in RCIA classes but in practice, it's possible that they'd ask her to meet with the priest and/or the bishop a time or two, attend Confession, etc. and would then reinstate her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtagoLass View Post
Is she actually Catholic though or was she just brought up Catholic in Canada? I mean she could have already lapsed before she converted to the Church of England, I dont know much about her background but I cant see her going back to her Catholic faith after all these years, especially if her children are brought up in the Church of England.
In response, I read on Peter Phillips' Wiki page that although Autumn was raised in the Roman Catholic religion, she converted to the Church of England prior to her marriage, in order for Peter to not lose his place in the line of succession. The Wiki reference is not detailed, but it seems to imply that perhaps Autumn was not a devout, practicing Roman Catholic when she met Peter. Therefore, I seriously doubt Autumn has any intention of 'returning' to the religion in which she was raised.

Conversely, that apparently was not the case for the Duchess of Kent (the former Katharine Worsley) who seemingly was a devout Roman Catholic who made personal sacrifices to marry the man she loved, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent. I forget the details, but the Duchess of Kent reconverted to Roman Catholicism, and some of her children were allowed to convert to their mother's faith as well (which meant they willingly gave up their place in the line of succession). There's clearly a lot the public doesn't know about the lives of the minor members of the British royal family. Not that we actually know a lot about the intimate lives of the major royals either (in spite of tabloid nonsense).

Good luck to Peter, Autumn, Savannah & Isla as they move forward with their new family dynamic. Divorce is always hard on children. It surely matters a lot how both parents conduct themselves, which can ease and lessen some of the pain and even guilt children tend to experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Phillips
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 02-12-2020, 11:59 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtagoLass View Post
^I believe what The Sun is saying, they have probably just grown apart, although it sounds like Autumn initiated the divorce, she might have been unhappy for whatever reason. Sad but these things happen.

They are only minor royals but surely if there were other issues (affairs etc) in their marriage there would have been tabloid speculation.
Actually they are not royals. Peter belongs to the Phillips family, rather than the “ Family and House of Windsor” or the Mountbatten-Windsor family.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 02-12-2020, 12:02 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 5,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Apparently (according to the Sun - not necessarily trustworthy but they clearly have some insight information) the divorce is blamed on growing apart due to a lot of business travel and spending little time with each other. The queen was supposedly informed in September (probably the weekend they attended the Games in Scotland together?) and for the moment they still share a house but one of them intends to move out at some point but the intention is to keep living nearby.
This reason for divorce is almost laughable to me. The most innocuous reason they could come up with.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 02-12-2020, 12:07 PM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Actually they are not royals. Peter belongs to the Phillips family, rather than the “ Family and House of Windsor” or the Mountbatten-Windsor family.


Thanks for the proper clarification.

Technically Anne's children are not royals, but she is, and she's their mother. Therefore, the Phillips children and grandchildren are perceived as 'minor royals' since they are related to royals and take part in royal family gatherings, as well as public celebrations like Trooping the Colour. Actually, it seems that Peter's family takes part in some of these royal gatherings more-so than Zara Tindall and her family do. Zara seems to skip Christmas at Sandringham and I don't see her too often at Trooping, although she might be there behind-the-scenes, or her daughters are there sometimes for the BP flyover.

Technically, Kate and Meghan should never be referred to in the media by their maiden names, but they often are. There are plenty of other examples of technical breaches where the media and popular culture and public perceptions are concerned.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 02-12-2020, 12:21 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,273
[QUOTE=MaiaMia_53;2292819]In response, I read on Peter Phillips' Wiki page that although Autumn was raised in the Roman Catholic religion, she converted to the Church of England prior to her marriage, in order for Peter to not lose his place in the line of succession. The Wiki reference is not detailed, but it seems to imply that perhaps Autumn was not a devout, practicing Roman Catholic when she met Peter. Therefore, I seriously doubt Autumn has any intention of 'returning' to the religion in which she was raised.

Conversely, that apparently was not the case for the Duchess of Kent (the former Katharine Worsley) who seemingly was a devout Roman Catholic who made personal sacrifices to marry the man she loved, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent. I forget the details, but the Duchess of Kent reconverted to Roman Catholicism, and some of her children were allowed to convert to their mother's faith as well (which meant they willingly gave up their place in the line of succession). There's clearly a lot the public doesn't know about the lives of the minor members of the British royal family. Not that we actually know a lot about the intimate lives of the major royals either (in spite of tabloid nonsense).

Good luck to Peter, Autumn, Savannah & Isla as they move forward with their new family dynamic. Divorce is always hard on children. It surely matters a lot how both parents conduct themselves, which can ease and lessen some of the pain and even guilt children tend to experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Phillips[/QUOTE

I don't think that Katherine Kent was born RC. She became a Catholic in her middle years, and that meant that her husband would be out of the succession. However its hardly much of a sacrifice as he was so far down the line.. and yes she is a very devout Catholic who takes her faith seriously. Her children chose to be confirmed as RC's (2 of them_) which alos took them out fo the succession at the time but again it was harldy that much of a sacrifice as they were even further down the line.
It was considered rather odd at the time, as I recall for Autumn to convert because Peter had zero chance of succeeding...but it was her choice...
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Peter and Autumn Phillips and Family Current Events 2: Nov 2005- Martine The Princess Royal and Family 751 03-30-2021 08:14 AM
Peter Phillips and Autumn Kelly 17 May 2008, St George's Chapel, Windsor PrincessofEurope Royal Weddings 454 08-20-2016 06:52 PM
It's a Girl for Autumn and Peter: Isla Elizabeth Phillips - March 29, 2012 EIIR The Princess Royal and Family 110 04-12-2014 08:16 PM
Daughter for Peter and Autumn: Savannah Phillips - December 30, 2010 rossop7 The Princess Royal and Family 318 06-27-2012 03:24 PM
Peter Phillips and Autumn Kelly Engaged: July 30, 2007 suztav The Princess Royal and Family 315 05-17-2008 12:45 AM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abdication america anastasia 2020 baby names biography bridal gown britain britannia british royal family buckingham palace canada china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing cpr daisy dna doge of venice dubai duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii elizabeth ii emperor family life fantasy movie fashion and style george vi hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hypothetical monarchs interesting introduction jewellery jewelry king willem-alexander list of rulers mary: crown princess of denmark mountbatten names nepalese royal family plantinum jubilee pless prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien queen louise queen mathilde resusci anne royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding royal wedding gown russian court dress solomon j solomon stuart thailand united states united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×