The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-10-2020, 08:17 PM
Serene Highness

Truly sad news...I stunned. I always thought they were rock solid. As Somebody just said, it was always great to see all the cousins...ugh. Sad.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I cannot help but think that I really hope that this alleged separation/divorce has nothing to do with how the royal family handled the recent issues within the family (with Peter being of a different (opposing) opinion than Autumn). It is hard enough without family issues playing into it.

N.B. I am not blaming any of the other BRF members - just thought that a conflict about how the BRF handles such family issues (that played up over the last year) could be one of the issues that could cause them to feel that they are no longer on the same team.
I seriously doubt that difficulties in the extended family would cause a happy couple with two very young daughters to separate. Moreover, I’m tired of the newspapers already trying to attribute ‘blame’ for the split to any couple or person other than Peter and Autumn. They’ve been a couple 17 years, sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side but once you get there you find it was an illusion. Personally, I hope they’ll take things slowly and decide they can work things out. But, divorce is fairly commonplace these days, indeed both sets of their parents divorced.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

It’s just a reminder that despite what people project outside, we really have no idea what’s really happening behind closed doors. It’s unfortunate but hopefully it all works out for the girls sake.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:10 PM
Majesty

I don't follow the Princess Royal or her family, due to a complete lack of interest...but I admit that I am really surprised by this news.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 02-10-2020, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Unlikely, it will be in tomorrow's papers. It looks like the House of Windsor has yet another divorce...
I actually hope there is no divorce. Peter and Autumn seem like the ideal couple.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:57 PM
Aristocracy

Sad that family looked so happy.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:36 AM
Serene Highness

very odd - will wait for the announcement.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:47 AM
Courtier

All the news outlets are carrying the story now. The speculation about Autumn moving back to Canada and taking the girls with her is just speculation, though. She's lived her for nearly 15 years and has a life here, and, on top of taking the girls away from their dad, it'd mean them having to change to a different school system, which isn't easy for a 9-year-old.

They seemed so happy. But, as Heather said, statistically something like 1 in 3 marriages ends in divorce, so it was unlikely that all of this generation of royal marriages would last.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:12 AM
Serene Highness

The speculation about Autumn moving back to Canada is no doubt meant to fan the flames of the idea that Harry and Meghan started a revolution in the BRF - the notion that, if at all unhappy, any Royal not likely to be a future King or Queen can leave the UK for who knows where....I’m sure the Republicans are lapping this up c
Old 02-11-2020, 04:24 AM
Courtier

More than likely. It's absolute nonsense. No-one decides to separate from their husband of 12 years and father of their children, and move halfway across the world, just because their husband's cousin's wife wanted to live elsewhere!

The official announcement that they're to divorce has just been released. What a shame.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Media Reports: Possible seperation for Peter and Autumn Phillips - Feb. 2020

It’s been confirmed by Peter Phillips that they are to divorce.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51459492

The royal family have known since last year.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:04 AM
Royal Highness

How sad. You never know what goes on behind closed doors because they seemed to be a very happy couple.

Hope the girls will be OK.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Media Reports: Possible seperation for Peter and Autumn Phillips - Feb. 2020

I think the official statement is well worded. Very tasteful and respectful to all sides.

I feel like the part stating “they have remained in Gloucestershire to raise their two daughters” is a nod to the rumours that Autumn will return to Canada. It tells me they plan to remain in the UK.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Such a shame.

LaRae
Old 02-11-2020, 05:13 AM
Heir Apparent

It is confirmed now. Honestly I didn’t see that coming.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:25 AM
Commoner

Really shocked and saddened to read this, dont follow Anne's kids that much but they always looked very happy together, seems Peter has been left heartbroken and I feel sorry for their daughters

If it is shared custody I am assuming she is remaining in the UK, however I do understand she why she would want to move back to Canada, it is where all her family is and where she grew up.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Sad news. I’m especially sorry for the girls, children are the most affected by divorce.

Can’t say I’m surprised, I’m never surprised about complete strangers getting divorced. We have no idea what goes on in someone’s marriage.
As mentioned before, the Queen has eight grandchildren, statistically the chances of all eight not getting a divorce are zero. This is true for anyone, not just royals, especially in a country with such high divorce rates.
Honestly, out of all British royals the only ones I’m sure won’t get a divorce are Charles/Camilla and William/Catherine. Not because their marriages are some unicorn that could never break up, but because I expect these couples know that divorce is simply not an option no mater what. They might end up living separate lives, but they’d never actually get a divorce and would keep the front for the public.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:43 AM
Majesty

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
It’s just a reminder that despite what people project outside, we really have no idea what’s really happening behind closed doors. It’s unfortunate but hopefully it all works out for the girls sake.
So, so true! Every time I see speculation or topics created around the subject of which couple has the happiest marriage, is least likely to separate etc I hesitate now.

I remember when everyone believed Joachim/Alexandra of Denmark and Louis/Tessy of Lux had perfect storybook marriages.

It is rarely possible to know from the outside about the nature of the relationship of people we don't know. We can only talk about what SEEMS to be true based on photographs and hearsay.....

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 02-11-2020, 06:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
Honestly, out of all British royals the only ones I’m sure won’t get a divorce are Charles/Camilla and William/Catherine.
Especially Charles and Camilla, who had to wait 34 years to finally be together.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Honestly, I'm very seldom surprised anymore when a couple divorce, just because it is impossible to know what goes on in a marriage. People change and grow apart, or just grow in slightly different directions, and before you know it, there's nothing left of the feelings that originally brought them together. In this case, I'm sad for the children, but they will hardly be the first children to have to deal with the fallout from a divorce, poor babies.