Peter and Autumn Phillips To Divorce: February 11, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

So, it seems this could have been Autumn's final (unofficial) royal activity?! If all turns out to be true. It's from less than 2 months ago when she got together with the Countess of Wessex (just before they 'vanished').

At the family outings in (March at Cheltenham, they seemed to be very much 'into' each other (less so in August; Gatcombe), so it makes you wonder what went horribly wrong over the last year.

Last edited:
Here is the original piece from The Sun. It is claimed that the decision to separate was made by Mrs. Phillips and no third party was involved. It is not claimed that Mrs. Phillips intends to return to Canada; it only speculates that she could. There is no confirmation of the story.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10935833/peter-phillips-splits-wife-autumn/

I am surprised that this story is attracting a great deal of attention, since both Mr. and Mrs. Phillips are untitled private citizens who have never been part of the working royal family.

Here is the original piece from The Sun. It is claimed that the decision to separate was made by Mrs. Phillips and no third party was involved. It is not claimed that Mrs. Phillips intends to return to Canada; it only speculates that she could. There is no confirmation of the story.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10935833/peter-phillips-splits-wife-autumn/

I am surprised that this story is attracting a great deal of attention, since both Mr. and Mrs. Phillips are untitled private citizens who have never been part of the working royal family.

I’m surprised by the story and saddened. I am not at all surprised it is getting attention. This is the Queen’s eldest grandson after all.

And I'm surprised that you are surprised :D. Peter is the queen's eldest grandson, was the first to marry, the first to give HM great-grandchildren; and had a lovely family that could be seen at several eventing events each year. And while private citizens, they have been a constant feature at family events - and seem to be close to the Cambridges, so important confidants to the future king and queen.

So, I would have been surprised had the press not been interested in major life events of the queen's grandson - just because he is not a working member of the family.

Very very sad... shocking... so much more so than H&M leaving Britain... Peter and Autumn always seemed so happy.

Very shocked and saddened by the news. What an horrible serie of sad events in the British Royal Family !

IF true...sad for the whole family. Did not expect this news.

LaRae

I’m surprised by the story and saddened. I am not at all surprised it is getting attention. This is the Queen’s eldest grandson after all.

Exactly. I’d be stunned if the press wasn’t all over this.

I’m surprised and sad too. Didn’t see it coming.

It does put their absence at the Christmas lunch and Sandringham in a different light. Not to mention Peter showing up at Sandringham during the H/M fallout.

I cannot help but think that I really hope that this alleged separation/divorce has nothing to do with how the royal family handled the recent issues within the family (with Peter being of a different (opposing) opinion than Autumn). It is hard enough without family issues playing into it.

N.B. I am not blaming any of the other BRF members - just thought that a conflict about how the BRF handles such family issues (that played up over the last year) could be one of the issues that could cause them to feel that they are no longer on the same team.

I don’t know much about these two, but what a a terribly sad thing, it really is- and wrenching for children - for anyone. Divorce is littered through my family, and there was a lot of anguish, anger and heartbreak especially with my siblings’ divorces. I don’t know how something like this can be a shock, but that’s heartbreaking - especially for those poor kids; they’re BABIES.

Wow - yes, I agree, this is very sad if true. I definitely did not see this coming at all. I don't follow Peter and Autumn closely, but I am surprised anyone was predicting they would split. They looked like a happy couple and family from the outside. And yes, it is worst for the kids. I spend some time teaching kids and they are absolutely affected by the state of their parents' marriage - whether or not there is a divorce.

Truly sad news...I stunned. I always thought they were rock solid. As Somebody just said, it was always great to see all the cousins...ugh. Sad.

I cannot help but think that I really hope that this alleged separation/divorce has nothing to do with how the royal family handled the recent issues within the family (with Peter being of a different (opposing) opinion than Autumn). It is hard enough without family issues playing into it.

N.B. I am not blaming any of the other BRF members - just thought that a conflict about how the BRF handles such family issues (that played up over the last year) could be one of the issues that could cause them to feel that they are no longer on the same team.
I seriously doubt that difficulties in the extended family would cause a happy couple with two very young daughters to separate. Moreover, I’m tired of the newspapers already trying to attribute ‘blame’ for the split to any couple or person other than Peter and Autumn. They’ve been a couple 17 years, sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side but once you get there you find it was an illusion. Personally, I hope they’ll take things slowly and decide they can work things out. But, divorce is fairly commonplace these days, indeed both sets of their parents divorced.

It’s just a reminder that despite what people project outside, we really have no idea what’s really happening behind closed doors. It’s unfortunate but hopefully it all works out for the girls sake.

I don't follow the Princess Royal or her family, due to a complete lack of interest...but I admit that I am really surprised by this news.:ohmy:

Unlikely, it will be in tomorrow's papers. It looks like the House of Windsor has yet another divorce...

I actually hope there is no divorce. Peter and Autumn seem like the ideal couple.

very odd - will wait for the announcement.

All the news outlets are carrying the story now. The speculation about Autumn moving back to Canada and taking the girls with her is just speculation, though. She's lived her for nearly 15 years and has a life here, and, on top of taking the girls away from their dad, it'd mean them having to change to a different school system, which isn't easy for a 9-year-old.

They seemed so happy. But, as Heather said, statistically something like 1 in 3 marriages ends in divorce, so it was unlikely that all of this generation of royal marriages would last.

The speculation about Autumn moving back to Canada is no doubt meant to fan the flames of the idea that Harry and Meghan started a revolution in the BRF - the notion that, if at all unhappy, any Royal not likely to be a future King or Queen can leave the UK for who knows where....I’m sure the Republicans are lapping this up c

More than likely. It's absolute nonsense. No-one decides to separate from their husband of 12 years and father of their children, and move halfway across the world, just because their husband's cousin's wife wanted to live elsewhere!

The official announcement that they're to divorce has just been released. What a shame.

Last edited:
Media Reports: Possible seperation for Peter and Autumn Phillips - Feb. 2020

It’s been confirmed by Peter Phillips that they are to divorce.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51459492

The royal family have known since last year.

How sad. You never know what goes on behind closed doors because they seemed to be a very happy couple.

Hope the girls will be OK.

Media Reports: Possible seperation for Peter and Autumn Phillips - Feb. 2020

I think the official statement is well worded. Very tasteful and respectful to all sides.

I feel like the part stating “they have remained in Gloucestershire to raise their two daughters” is a nod to the rumours that Autumn will return to Canada. It tells me they plan to remain in the UK.

Last edited:
It is confirmed now. Honestly I didn’t see that coming.

Really shocked and saddened to read this, dont follow Anne's kids that much but they always looked very happy together, seems Peter has been left heartbroken and I feel sorry for their daughters

If it is shared custody I am assuming she is remaining in the UK, however I do understand she why she would want to move back to Canada, it is where all her family is and where she grew up.

Last edited:
Sad news. I’m especially sorry for the girls, children are the most affected by divorce:sad:.

Can’t say I’m surprised, I’m never surprised about complete strangers getting divorced. We have no idea what goes on in someone’s marriage.
As mentioned before, the Queen has eight grandchildren, statistically the chances of all eight not getting a divorce are zero. This is true for anyone, not just royals, especially in a country with such high divorce rates.
Honestly, out of all British royals the only ones I’m sure won’t get a divorce are Charles/Camilla and William/Catherine. Not because their marriages are some unicorn that could never break up, but because I expect these couples know that divorce is simply not an option no mater what. They might end up living separate lives, but they’d never actually get a divorce and would keep the front for the public.

It’s just a reminder that despite what people project outside, we really have no idea what’s really happening behind closed doors. It’s unfortunate but hopefully it all works out for the girls sake.

So, so true! Every time I see speculation or topics created around the subject of which couple has the happiest marriage, is least likely to separate etc I hesitate now.

I remember when everyone believed Joachim/Alexandra of Denmark and Louis/Tessy of Lux had perfect storybook marriages.

It is rarely possible to know from the outside about the nature of the relationship of people we don't know. We can only talk about what SEEMS to be true based on photographs and hearsay.....:ermm:

Last edited:
Honestly, out of all British royals the only ones I’m sure won’t get a divorce are Charles/Camilla and William/Catherine.

Especially Charles and Camilla, who had to wait 34 years to finally be together.:hug::heartflower:

Honestly, I'm very seldom surprised anymore when a couple divorce, just because it is impossible to know what goes on in a marriage. People change and grow apart, or just grow in slightly different directions, and before you know it, there's nothing left of the feelings that originally brought them together. In this case, I'm sad for the children, but they will hardly be the first children to have to deal with the fallout from a divorce, poor babies.

Back
Top Bottom