Names and Godparents for Zara and Mike's third child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guesses are that it will be a boy, as for names I guess Charlie Philip Tindall for a boy and for a girl's name Philippa (Pippa) Anne Tindall.

Last edited:
If a son was named Michael James Tindall, Jr., would there be opposition?

If a son was named Michael James Tindall, Jr., would there be opposition?

What a great question, I have not think about that! :flowers: (Well, I should have to some extent, because it's not uncommon for fathers naming their sons after their name :lol:)

There is a discussion in the Baby Brooksbank thread on the possibility of The Queen or Senior Royals talking the Royal parent out of "outlandish" or "celebrity" names (i.e. Apple, River, North, etc). But then I think the name, Michael James Tindall, Jr. is still acceptable. Yes, it is quite unconventional, but still reasonable amongst the boundary. Another factor to consider is that Baby Tindall would already be so far down the line of succession, less likely to become working royal and as the child of un-titled non-working royal. The rules and protocol for baby names would be less strict. As Heavs mentioned in his post, we have not heard The Queen objecting to Savannah, Isla, Mia, Lena and Archie, so I don't think The Queen would be too bothered about "Michael James Tindall, Jr." (If that is what Zara and Mike decided).

Post #65
I don't think the Queen has to "approve" the name - it's just courtesy to mention it to her. If she said she really didn't like their choice, maybe they'd think twice: there's always been a story that she suggested Beatrice and Eugenie because she didn't like Sarah and Andrew's choices, but no-one really knows. Zara was quite an outlandish choice for the royal family, in 1981, and Savannah's unusual even now.

Unless they chose something like Apple or North West or Fifi Trixabelle, I doubt she'd say anything, and, even if she did, they could go for it anyway.
[...].

Post #66
[...]
If the story about the Queen disapproving of Anabel and suggesting Beatrice has any truth to it it might have gone something like this "Anabel hmm, I read so many announcements of little Anabels because of that night club. Do you want your daughter to have the same name as 10 other girls at school? Or have articles about being named after a club the rest of her life? What about a beautiful, old royal name like Beatrice?" rather than "her name is Beatrice, no take backs!"

We have never heard of her objecting to Savannah, Isla, Archie, Mia or Lena, (which are all perfectly fine names) who are in the same position, let alone some of the interesting choices further out.

Thank you Alison H and Heavs for your post and contribution! ?

P.s. I have slightly edited the quotes.

:previous: How is it unconventional? Michael James is as conventional and boring as a bowl of vanilla ice cream or a cup of earl grey tea :lol:

If the queen had no opposition to Savannah, I highly doubt she would spit out her tea over a kid sharing his name with his dad.

That said I dont see them going that traditional route.

:previous:
I meant having the same first, middle and last names as the child's father. Well, apart from Donald Trump naming his son the exact same first, middle and last name. From at least what I have encountered, it's either the same first name between father and son or the son's middle name as his father's first name. And recently, I'm seeing less children who shared the same first name as their parents, presumedly to reduce confusions. In contrast, grandparent, great-grandparent or ancestors' first names are more prominent (compared to parent's first name).

:previous:
I meant having the same first, middle and last names as the child's father. Well, apart from Donald Trump naming his son the exact same first, middle and last name. From at least what I have encountered, it's either the same first name between father and son or the son's middle name as his father's first name. And recently, I'm seeing less children who shared the same first name as their parents, presumedly to reduce confusions. In contrast, grandparent, great-grandparent or ancestors' first names are more prominent (compared to parent's first name).

Oh, same name (including the middle name/s) for fathers & sons is quite common, at least it is in the US. Probably not as common as it was 75+ years ago but it's not that unconventional. I doubt many people I know would bat an eye at a couple who announced their son was going to be Name Name Name Jr.

It used to be quite common for children to be named after parents esp the eldest son having his father's same name.. exactly. But it is less common now. I can't see why anyone would object to it, but usually now people don't do it because they want their children to have their very own individual name.. and there is also the risk of confusion, or having to use "junior" to distinguish father and son. When I was a a kid in a very old fashioned culture, my mother would always if I mentioned someone at school.. start trying to trace her ancestry from her name.. I'd say there's a girl called Elizabeth Brown.. and she would be like "Oh I knew a girl called Lizzie who was at school with me.. and her mother was called Jane.. Is this girl called Elizabeth Jane?? and Lizzie married a man called Brown.. " and so on and so on.

I'd not have guessed Mia or Lena in a million years and I can't see them using a more traditional name this time round either.

I'd not have guessed Mia or Lena in a million years and I can't see them using a more traditional name this time round either.
Honestly i dont like Mia or Lena much.. I don't like abbreviations as names -and Lena is an abbreviation.. but I think that with a boy they MIHGT go more tradtional... Perhaps Mike has been waiting years to have a Mike Junior who will be playing rugby one day At any rate, I hope that they wlll use his name as a second name.

I'm notoriously bad at guessing babynames and never even came close ;) soooo, i have a theory for next baby Tindall's name:

Mia and Lena are in dutch actually quite traditional names, even old fashioned; i think they'd probably be most associated with women over the age of 60 or 70. The pronounciation the family use is also very much how the names would be pronounced in dutch. Mia is a short form of the even more traditional Maria (Mary), Lena of Helena (Helen).
So, for the next baby, i'll go another couple of old fashioned dutch names that are still pronounceable in english:
Fred for a boy
Nelly for a girl

?

For a son: Caleb Philip

For a daughter: Ruby Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom