Daughter for Peter and Autumn: Savannah Phillips - December 30, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't like the name. For me it's too unusual. Maybe because here in Brazil we have a lot of unusual and hideous names and I getting tired of it :rolleyes: But when a picture will be released?

I do not think a picture will be released. The Philips' are private citizens.

Judging by the birth announcements in the London Telegraph, Savannah is actually a name that is currently very trendy with upperclass Brits. It's also the name of a great-granddaughter of Lord Mountbatten, Savannah Knatchbull, born in 2001. She would be a fourth cousin of Savannah Phillips.

Savannah is also a name that has been extremely popular in the United States and probably Canada for at least the last 15 years. To me it sounds like your average high school cheerleader and has very little sophistication, though I know it's also been used by a few Hollywood actors in recent years. I suppose it has a more upper class image to someone like Peter Phillips and his third cousin Timothy Knatchbull.

I like the name Savannah and think Savannah Phillips has a nice ring to it.:flowers:

Wonderful !!!!!! Just simply wonderful !!!!!!!!

Of course when you’re in 25th ...in line of a throne, you needn’t a tittle. Nobody would pay for you, and even the most imaginative governement or the most jet-set of Royals Courts would’nt know how to find you duties and charities and humanitarian journeys which could pass as really useful. They have plenty of crown princes and movies stars to play angels.

I find strange this name «*Savannah*». Of course today it’s a «*common*» and «*fashion*» name in middle and upper classes in UK or USA.
But maybe I’m conservative. I think it’s better to choose a christian name or an ancient name which corresponds to Europe (Scandinavian, Celtic, Russian etc.). Or an old name of the civilizations which influenced Europe (Persian, Greek, Mesopotamian, Arabic etc.).
The most important are that the saint or the meaning of the name is positive and clear.

Savannah? Nothing.
But finally it has no fundamental importance. Hope the baby is and will be happy and healthy, loved all her life.

I'm with reginalix in that the Phillips baby's name has no fundamental importance. I guess they'll be naming their first son Chicago.

Congratulations on a safe delivery!

I knew they would surprise us, but Savannah??!!! :confused: Wow!! Beautiful name, though. I like it too!

I like it very much ... Savannah is a very popular name here in the US. I like Savannah Elizabeth Anne..

Beautiful Name but completely out of left field for me! I was expecting a much more traditional name but then again she does have an Aunt Zara and mum Autumn.

But Zara means "Mornng Star" and is used as a female name for many years...well, in the Arabian culture, but always.

Whereas Autumn & Savannah (are you 100% sure it's really her name? Is it official) are some "freaks"

First: Name of a season
Second: Name of a city in the US, place of the famous Independence battle.

And as for the photo; Where her father was born, weren't his photos released? He was the first grandchild of the reigning Queen; untitled, but always a grandchild.

Civil War, not War of Independence. Savannah is where the Confederates shelled Fort Sumpter, starting the war.

But Zara means "Mornng Star" and is used as a female name for many years...well, in the Arabian culture, but always.

Whereas Autumn & Savannah (are you 100% sure it's really her name? Is it official) are some "freaks"

First: Name of a season
Second: Name of a city in the US, place of the famous Independence battle.

And as for the photo; Where her father was born, weren't his photos released? He was the first grandchild of the reigning Queen; untitled, but always a grandchild.

I don't think Autumn and Savannah are "freaks" at all. Both have been used as names for years. They may be unusual names for the royal family, but they aren't unheard of or brand new in general.

Of course when you’re in 25th ...in line of a throne, you needn’t a tittle. Of course today it’s a «*common*» and «*fashion*» name in middle and upper classes in UK or USA.

1; She's 12th in line
2; I don't think it's a common name.

Freak is certainly the wrong word, and yes it's a official.

He was the first grandchild, but Savannah is a great-grandchild from parents who aren't title, don't think we'll see an official picture.

Savanah

Usage: English Pronounced: sə-VAN-ə [key]

From the English word for the large grassy plain, ultimately deriving from the Taino (Native American) word zabana. It came into use as a given name in America in the 19th century. It was revived in the 1980s by the movie 'Savannah Smiles' (1982).
(from Behind the name's site)

I like the name. I think Savannah Phillips has a nice ring to it. I was betting on Anne as a middle name, but Savannah Anne doesn't run smoothly. As MRSJ suggests, it could be Savannah Elizabeth Anne, but that doesn't leave any room for a name from [Autumn's] family we'll just have to wait and see.
Perhaps Savannah, containing "ann", is a nod to Princesse Anne; so no need for Anne as a middle name. :flowers:

Autumn's mother's name is Kitty which doesn't lend itself very well as a middle name. I hope they use Savannah Elizabeth or Savannah Catherine.

Savannah is certainly no less traditional than the recent names of the Gloucester's granddaughters: Cosima (5/20/2010), Senna (6/30/2010), and Lyla (7/1/2010.)

I don't think Autumn and Savannah are "freaks" at all. Both have been used as names for years. They may be unusual names for the royal family, but they aren't unheard of or brand new in general.
You are right, but these name will always be very strange to me. Savannah is not unknown in Germany und i think it came up together with Kimberly, Britney, Chelsea, Cheyenne about 1995.

But if i imagine people would call their kids in Germany like the german words for seasons, cities or tribes, i would consider them totally crazy.

E.g. "Herbst" (German for fall/autumn), Rostock/Berlin/Düsseldorf/Munich/Hamburg/Harz (just a name of a city, town or place like Savannah, Kimberly, Chelsea) or "Kelte" (=Celts) or "Alamanne" (=Alamanni) (two german "tribes"; like Cheyenne in US).
(In Germany parents are not allowed to use everyday words or place names as first names for their kids. But if a word (e.g. Summer) is used in US/UK as a first name, you can use it as a first name in Germany as well. So in the end, you may call your daughter Summer, but never ever Sommer (German for "Summer").)

Last edited:
Civil War, not War of Independence. Savannah is where the Confederates shelled Fort Sumpter, starting the war.

No? So look here:Siege of Savannah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I learned about that siege already in the primary school, and I still remember that my famous countryman (Kazimierz Pułaski) was killed there.

I am European and know American history better than you :ermm:

As for giving names in Poland: Every name should be found inthe Polish Calendar and clearly indicate the sex of the child. Nor it can be offending or ridicuizing to him/her.

As for new parents; They didn't have objections to sell the photos of their wedding to Hello, so why they should have them now?

Last edited:
... Savannah is certainly no less traditional than the recent names of the Gloucester's granddaughters: Cosima (5/20/2010), Senna (6/30/2010), and Lyla (7/1/2010.)

Cosima = very old greek name

Senna = a plant

Lyla = very old name, originally spelled Lila

Although not generally used, they are not new names.

Sorry, but Charleston, SC was where the Civil War started with the Confederates shelling Fort Sumter. Savannah was captured by Sherman in Dec. of 1864 at the end of his March through Georgia. Regardless, Savannah is a nice name:):)

No? So look here:Siege of Savannah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I learned about that siege already in the primary school, and I still remember that my famous countryman (Kazimierz Pułaski) was killed there.

I am European and know American history better than you :ermm:

As for giving names in Poland: Every name should be found inthe Polish Calendar and clearly indicate the sex of the child. Nor it can be offending or ridicuizing to him/her.

As for new parents; They didn't have objections to sell the photos of their wedding to Hello, so why they should have them now?
Well, it really depends on which war you are talking about. However, it is indisputable that Fort Sumter is in South Carolina, not Georgia. Try brushing up on your US Geography.

Sorry, but Charleston, SC was where the Civil War started with the Confederates shelling Fort Sumter. Savannah was captured by Sherman in Dec. of 1864 at the end of his March through Georgia. Regardless, Savannah is a nice name:):)

And Sherman decided to spare it from the ruins of war.

Savannah is a lyrical, but silly, name. Wishing her well, in spite of it all!:flowers:

Cosima = very old greek name

Senna = a plant

Lyla = very old name, originally spelled Lila

Although not generally used, they are not new names.

Savannah has been around (at least here in the US) since the 1800's...that's not exactly a new name, is it?

Perhaps because of where I live, I find the name completely normal and beautiful. I can't wait to here the full name at some point in the future, and perhaps catch a glimpse of the beauty at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
And Sherman decided to spare it from the ruins of war.

Savannah is a lyrical, but silly, name. Wishing her well, in spite of it all!:flowers:

All I can keep thinking when I hear the name Savannah is a mental image of Vanna White for some reason. Just think... if they decided to do a feminine version of a traditional male monarch's name, she could be Savannah Georgia. :eek: Come to think of it, Savannah Georgia Elizabeth Phillips does sound kind of nice.

Someone up thread mentioned Savannah was a nod to Anne- good thinking, whomever that was!!! Sorry can't remember the poster and my I touch is being weird and won't scroll up! :)

1; She's 12th in line
2; I don't think it's a common name.

You’re right. But the gap between 12th and 25th in line is inexistant in royal world. It’s the same non-existence.

Savannah is very popular in Hollywood and for 15 years we find it in the inventory of the most given first names in UK. It’s not the post popular but a beloved name.This first name seems an invention of modern times, without precise origin and could be a contraction of existing first names.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom