Anne, Princess Royal: Old News and Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always enjoyed reading about Anne. I have no idea what she was like as a parent, but I haven't read anything about either of her kids becoming drug addicts. I remember reading about a lingerie party that Zara threw several years ago and that Zara has had a couple of live-in boyfriends, but that's normal behavior for a young woman of her wealth and class. Zara seems to be a serious equestrian and Peter has some sort of job that he takes seriously. If they're happy and gainfully employed and still in touch with their mother, she did a pretty good job.

I liked a comment Anne once made about one of her children's charities, something to the effect that one does not have to be in love with children (demonstrative, gooey, everything Diana apparently was) to care about their welfare. I also like Anne's total disregard for clothing and fashion and what people and the general public think of her. She's a lot like her father and great-grandmother Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine.

Princess Anne as an Aunt?

I was just wondering if anyone knew about Anne's relationship with her nieces and nephews?

Thanks for the pictures, Lady Finn.

The last one, from 1967, is really unusual in terms of looks. It's hard to believe that's Anne!:flowers:

The last one, from 1967, is really unusual in terms of looks. It's hard to believe that's Anne!:flowers:
That's because it's not Anne, it's Margaret.I'm positive because of the dark hair and the nose.:flowers:

Sorry, I trusted the texts of ANP, it looks to be Margaret. :flowers:
Here´s one of princess Anne, queen Silvia and crown princess Victoria at the -80´s
Sjöberg bild
Prince Charles at the White House with Tricia Nixon (next to him), and above on stairs (l to r) Princess Anne, David Eisenhower, and Julie Eisenhower, at a formal dance, 1970
IBL Bildbyrå

Princess Anne 1969, this is lovely, especially the hat!
IBL Bildbyrå

Last edited:
That's because it's not Anne, it's Margaret.I'm positive because of the dark hair and the nose.:flowers:

Ahhh, yes. I see it now. But even with it being Margaret, it still had me wondering who it was at first because I don't remember her wearing her hair like that much. Thanks for clearing that up!;)

Wow, Anne was quite the regal beauty back in her younger days. I had no idea. :)

Actually there was an occasion when she did smack them both in public at a horse show. Peter was climbing up on something and Zara was carrying on. She smacked them both and had them taken home. Apparently the audience watched "absolutely fascinated."

AWESOME. I knew I liked her. A LOT.

The older I get, the more I really like the Princess Royal. I'd love to have a pint with her!

And yes, WHAT A QUEEN she would have been! Can you imagine a State dinner - and wouldn't you have loved to be a fly on the wall afterward, with Queen Anne saying what she REALLY thought of Prince So-and-So and Prime Minister Whozit (something she probably did anyway?)!

As for her being close to Zara, I wonder if Anne gave to her what she really wished she'd gotten from her own mother. She had to compete with her brothers her whole life and was probably close to her father (God knows she's just like him) - I wonder if what she really wanted was to be close to her mum. Ladies, we all know that there are just some times you REALLY need your mum...I wonder if Anne was determined to not let her own daughter have the same experience.

I can't imagine asking the Queen - though I respect her greatly - for advice on boys...or help with cramps!

I remember an interview with Princess Anne when her children were young. She said that if you didn't train and discipline them correctly at home, then you shouldn't be surprised if they behaved badly in public.

I got the idea from Anne's close association and training with horses, that a disciplined life was important to her. Always being on time, always being prepared, having a plan for the day, week, month and year and carrying it out. Having a purpose and going about sensibly to fulfill it. And I always imagined that she instilled that in her children.

Well that makes a lot of sense. Children need to be trained. Otherwise they grow up into selfish, piggy Dudley Dursley adults.

I think Princess Anne was probably a no-nonsense matter-of-fact mother and her children obviously thrived on that.

I don't think she's cold in public, just very professional...actually, just what I said above "no-nonsense & matter-of-fact".

I agree with you, she isn't a touchy-feely person in public but we have no idea how she acts in private with her children

When Zara was in Australia the big news was shock horror she had a tongue stud, not that she was falling out of nightclubs at 3.00am

Despite their marital difficulties Mark and Anne have done a wonderful job as parents IMHO:flowers:

I always see Anne as being strict but fair. I also imagine that with those that know her and with her children, she can be a blooming good laugh! :lol:

Princess Anne Opening Fete at In-laws in Wiltshire on the 21st June 1975
TheImageWorks
Princess Anne speaking to students at Moscow University, May 1990.
TheImageWorks

LadyFinn could you please repost the link? Because it doesn´t work.
Thanks in advance.

You seem to have got quite close to her. Is it true that she looks different in person than she appears in photos?:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
You seem to have got quite close to her. Is it true that she looks different in person than she appears in photos?

Yes she does look quite different and is actually quite nice to talk to:flowers:

Here's a German article with a nice and funny pic of Anne,
it was printed in summer 1989 and says that she was that
happy as to her relationship with Tim, but the pic may have
been taken a bit earlier than 1989 :)

----> Anne in the 1980s

There's something Princess Alexandra-like in that picture. Does anyone else see it?:)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's something Princess Alexandra-like in that picture. Does anyone else see it?:)

I've heard that she's very pleasant in walkabouts.:flowers: How does she look different?

I see the Princess Alexandra look, I've never noticed that before:)

To answer your previous question, it's difficult to describe, she is more refined in real life and has a lovely smile which the media often doesn't pick up on

Back
Top Bottom