Your Opinions About Felipe and Letizia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roxsteve, you are right on the principle, but we are going round in circles because it's allways the same fault that it's highlighting : her thinness ! it's becoming boring.
If you don't appreciate anybody, me be you can find some objective reasons to confort your opinion, but, as I'm telling since two or three posts it's totaly irrelevant to make a judgement on someone only on his physical appearences.

Yes we can going on this item, but and I agree on the fact that " Not everyone like her and the forum is open " and more it's not a referendum but since the begining of this thread I didn't find very interesting discussions because it's a question of feeling, you like them or not and for that you don't need any explanations. A french old writer said, speaking about the friend link beetwen him and a friend of him : " because it's was him, because it's was me " ( Montaigne for La Boetie ) This sentence is very good summary of all feeling attractions.

Hi everyone, I would like to add my two cents to this thread:
People cant expect to create a good impression with everyone, that it is very difficult even for great leaders. There will always be people that like or dislikes one's opinions, looks or ideas. So needeless to say, it is not useful to invest time and energy to create a good opinion in everyone. I am sure if we were on her place there would be a similar debate, based on other things, like she is too fat (like Maxima), too wild (like Mette), too arrogant (like Mary), things that I consider nonsense in each case of the other princesses as well as Letizia's.

In Letizia's case, she is a very accomplished woman, who is trying to do her job as best as she can. I dont see a reason for her weight to be a problem for doing her job. So far she has done it in a good way and weight hasn't create a problem for her. In any case, her husband and family are the ones that know her best and everyone can be sure and safe that they will take good care of her if she has health problems.

Last edited:
And thiness again! During the pregnancy she gained some weight and looked beautifully, now she lost it again. I think that it can be the matter of breastfeeding, which is the well-known reason of becomming slimer after giving birth. In my opinion she could feed Leo not only during first 3 months but also later even until now, of course not round-the-clock, but, let's say, 2 or 3 times a day. So IMO this is the reason of her figure which can be even slimmer than before pregnancy.

There is no need for excusing Letizia's weight, she is not in fault for being thin. I personally dont think she is breastfeeding because she has very busy schedules and somtimes even travel without the girl. So I dont think it is really necessary that she keeps the pressure of extracting the milk (at regular times), even when she is away or busy at work. In any case, I dont think she needs an excuse for being thin. There are many people that are thin like her and does not receive that much attention as she does. I dont know why but there is always a health related rumor on the air, one time is letizia having an eating disorder, the other is Leonor that will have a surgery or has other problems. People that want to critize her, when do not have real arguments, invent them and that is a pretty bad thing. I understand people concerned about her weight after hearing all those rumors about her eating disorders, which were denied by the royal house.

Unfortunately the rumors are invented because she is Letizia and to speak about her it sells.
For example, in Spain the vice-president of the Government is very thin and nobody says anything. And other one so much the Minister of Health who is thin and tiny and does campaigns against the anorexia ... and nobody says anything.
But always it is necessary to invent rumors and barbarities that are contradicted again and again. The people are so ignorant that it does not know that this type of nourishing disorders provoke hormonal problems (as the retreat of the menstruation) that would prevent a pregnancy, but nonetheless they follow with this things.

just a reminder of how breathtaking
Letizia once was. photo from tve1,
source: www.letiziaortiz.tk

and she was healthy, strong and radiant
here with Felipe in December 2003
(corbis photo)

and now withering away in May 2006,
which no one wants to talk about
photo from casa real

I think this is legitmate to point out.

She has such a lovely smile, a great body, is the grand prize winner in the Spanish royal lotto and married to a husband who is not only drop dead gorgeous, but arguably could have had (and probably still can) nearly any woman in the world.

Of course she is going to stay thin and beautiful for him, she's not stupid ... her whole future as a Queen Consort depends on him succeeding to the throne. In the immortal words of the Duchess of Windsor "a woman can't be too rich or too thin".

Laviolette your three example can't to be judge in a same way only because one pic is a inside shot in a TV studio i.e. with a specific make up and an appropriate lightening; the two others were taking outside.

And as PreDoc said :" she has such a lovely smile, a great body " and for me an extraordinary look!

Laviollette said:

(corbis photo)

photo from casa real

What do you mean that nobody is talking about? It seems to me that plenty of people are talking about it in this thread alone one way or the other. :confused:

Withering away is also a pretty vague yet heavy accusation. Withering away to what? :confused:

As has been pointed out around this forum, I don't think Felipe or the King and Queen would let Letizia continue her very busy schedule if she were as sick as some people are implying she is. They would get her help if she were really sick. So the fact that they aren't must mean that she is healthy. Otherwise the implication is that Felipe, the King and Queen are cruel slave drivers who insist that Letizia work at all costs, even to her health.

Letizia has been consistently thin throughout her life. Even in the above pictures used as an example of Letizia "withering away" the difference is less than 10 pounds at the most. And considering Letizia's very slight frame, 10 pounds either way can make a big difference. The one thing however I have heard nobody mention is the weight loss of other royal women since joining the public eye. How come nobody thinks some of them who have lost considerable weight since their marrages are "withering away" or whose weight is cause for alarm? :confused:

adelaide said:
Laviolette your three example can't to be judge in a same way only because one pic is a inside shot in a TV studio i.e. with a specific make up and an appropriate lightening; the two others were taking outside.

Not to mention the apparel she is wearing in the first two examples as opposed to the "withering away" example. In the first two pictures she is wearing suits made of heavy materials that are properly structured as a suit should be. In the "withering away" example she is wearing a thin button up shirt which is meant to cling to your body which the suits are not meant to do. It is like comparing apples and oranges. Further evidence that this argument of Letizia b eing sickly thin can be manipulated in many ways that bear false witness. :mad:

Genevieve said:
The one thing however I have heard nobody mention is the weight loss of other royal women since joining the public eye. How come nobody thinks some of them who have lost considerable weight since their marrages are "withering away" or whose weight is cause for alarm? :confused:

Excellent comments Genevieve. I am particularly partial to Letizia because several years ago I went on a crash diet and so many people made inappropriate remarks. My goal was 1 pound per day and in one month I was 25 pounds lighter, felt great, and have kept the weight off.

Nonetheless, I was offended that women who were oftentimes grossly overweight (yes, I live in America) would dare to tell me that I looked "too thin". Letizia is gorgeous and whatever weight she and Felipe decide she should be is the weight she should drop down to. She looks stunning!

Laviollette said:

(corbis photo)

photo from casa real

And there we go again...

I've lost count of how many times I've already pointed this out (maybe someday it'll sink in)

As Genevieve already stated, if Letizia were as sick as many people insist on affirming, she would never be able to carry on the amount of duties she does.

But, there's a living proof that Letizia isn't sick, and it is called Leonor. Do you really think - honestly - that, if Letizia was so sick, she would be able to carry a full term pregnancy and give birth to a health baby? One of the first things that's affected when women are sick (and specially of an eating disorder, as this may seem 'Letizia's secret disease') is the reprodutive part.

I've had friends with bulimia and anorexia, and one of the first symptoms was that their period simply ceased from coming, meaning that they weren't ovulating.

It's widely known that the conception of a baby depends on ovulation, so, if Letizia is so gravely ill, how could she get pregnant? That's the one thing I would like to see an explanation for.

Letizia is a woman who takes care of herself, she eats well, she has a 6 month old to take care of, as well as end, not to mention a full agenda of official engagements. Letizia know that, as a princess, she kind of represents a whole model, as well she has always to present herself with poise and elegance, she's naturally thin (as her sisters and mother are there to prove).

There's nothing wrong with her health - maybe just a little tiredness due to the fact she's a new mom and is breastfeeding her baby girl, as well as too busy being the Princess of Asturias.

Meredith said:
But, there's a living proof that Letizia isn't sick, and it is called Leonor. Do you really think - honestly - that, if Letizia was so sick, she would be able to carry a full term pregnancy and give birth to a health baby? One of the first things that's affected when women are sick (and specially of an eating disorder, as this may seem 'Letizia's secret disease') is the reprodutive part.

I've had friends with bulimia and anorexia, and one of the first symptoms was that their period simply ceased from coming, meaning that they weren't ovulating.

I do not subscribe to the gossip that Letezia has an eating disorder. She has produced an heir and she will dutifully produce a second child at the very least. No future king wants his crown descending to a brother or sister and presumably part of her original contract is that she produces at least two children. I think all of this talk about anorexia and bulimia is distracting from her role as Crown Princess and the glamour she brings to the Spanish royal house. Her weight is obviously in obedience to Prince Felipe's taste and that is all there is to it!

highpriestess said:
Diana Spencer, a young woman who's not well educated and had no career prospect, was considered the ideal royal bride simply because she's from a noble family and she's a virgin. We all know how well that marriage turned out and how much damage she did to the British monarchy.

I think that all the princesses of today owe a debt to Diana. Diana made monarchy interesting. I think that there would be little or no interest in them if Diana had not come along. Regardless of whether or not she did harm to the BRF.

Personally, I do not care for Letizia. I think she looks very hard. However, it seems that Felipe is happy.

A couple of messages up, someone was talking about Felipe marrying a noble woman that he did not care for and how awful that would be. I have to admit that I started thinking about that and this is my conclusion. Felipe has a pretty easy life. Yes, he has to make boring visits all over and bear with the attention. But he is paid good money, he is able to go anywhere he wants in the world, he does not have to get up and go to a boring job EVERY DAY, he does not have to work out with the wife who will stay home with the sick baby. He has a very easy life.

It seems then that marrying a noble or royal woman is a simple trade-off. He has all these benefits, can't he sacrifice something?

Before you shoot me for wanting him to be miserable, that is not my intention. However, if monarchy is going to mean anything in the years ahead, it is going to have to keep its uniqueness. Marrying women that are not noble, etc. is not the way to do it.

Just my two cents. Now I will duck all the pies being thrown my way!

adelaide said:
What do you mean exactly ?

Another poster, I think it was Laviolette, said that Letezia was aiwthering away in the picture. I meant to say that if I ever start to "wither away" I hope I look this good. Apologies if I wasn't clear enough.

Fab pictures , must admit ............ I know that people wont like this
but I find, as a couple them rather Dull .............. and I dont know why!

Last edited:
I do not understand what you say of the couple :confused:

sm1939 said:
Fab pictures , must admit and I know that people wont like this
but I find, as a couple they are rather Dull .............. and I dont know why!

You don't know why, me too because, it's difficult to say they are .... rather Dull for events like that :eek: Try to explain you , because yesterday the Princes mad my day and I think that I'm not alone

Furthermore,the both were so involved in their activities that the people had making them a true ovation and the atmosphere was not boring at all.

Sure it's not a football cup neither a tennis party!

When I see the Princess so beautiful and at ease beetwen the crowd, when we can watch at Felipe kissing mamies and babies in a so warm atmosphere we can considr that it a quiet historical moment in their growing up; and that it's very interesting for their future.

sm1939 said:
Fab pictures , must admit ............ I know that people wont like this
but I find, as a couple them rather Dull .............. and I dont know why!
Maybe because Letezia is very obedient in her role, but she must of course play it safe. Felipe is undeniably a striking man and surely Letizia realizes that it is safer to be conservative and completely submissive to her prince than risk failing at another marriage. In these photos Felipe seems very relaxed and Letezia looks like a positively beautiful companion :)

PreDoc said:
Maybe because Letezia is very obedient in her role, but she must of course play it safe. Felipe is undeniably a striking man and surely Letizia realizes that it is safer to be conservative and completely submissive to her prince than risk failing at another marriage. In these photos Felipe seems very relaxed and Letezia looks like a positively beautiful companion :)

Youve hit the "nail on the head" , dont mean to be nasty , but I just feel that she plays the little wife to his big strong man . ( I know she was a career woman before getting married ) but I just feel she isnt her own person thats all.

" conservative"..."completely submissive" ???? What awful words ! I hope it's a joke ! It's vry incredible because as Letizia is doing very well her job which is doing exactly the same things than Felipe ( except the speech ) she is completely submissive... Please try to explain me because I didn't understand the meaning of this sentence. Thanks in advance.

I am not in anything in agreement with any commentaries. Probably the difference is cultural.

In Spain as the historical circumstances the Monarchy has had a particular role. The Monarchy is a political institution, is the Headquarters of the State. And the important thing is that they do well their work representing to their country, and that can belong near to the citizens. This it is for my Monarchy of the S.XXI.

The future of the Monarchy is not to lead magazines of gossip, not that the Princesses are models of Hihg Couture ... it can provide a popularity, but it is a bad popularity that eventually can be a denial.

It is very nice to see the images of the monarchies in the magazines, but probably one thinks differently when the monarchy is that of the own country. For the countries that support their monarchies, especially for the European modern countries, it important it is that the monarchies are useful and serve to their country, because it is as well as they are gained the citizens.

Diana gained popularity she herself, how particular person , but she did not give popularity and respect to the British Wreath, to the institution or to the Prince Charles who was the inheritor. The European countries must know that their princes inheritors (or Princess in case of Sweden) are prepared to represent to their countries and to be the Chiefs of the State.

The popularity is nice, but in the just and understood well quantity. The important thing is that the people know that the Princes are capable of representing well to the country, and that their work respects. The popularity helps, clearly that yes, but it is not necessary to to be the most important thing.

Last edited:
Thank you lula, I enjoyed reading the perspective of someone who is a subject Juan Carlos and I meant no disrespect towards Letezia. Perhaps I can better explain Letezia's role by highlighting how she seems like the Spanish version of Crown Princess Masako whose role is simply to produce a male heir and defer to her husband.

PreDoc said:
Thank you lula, I enjoyed reading the perspective of someone who is a subject Juan Carlos and I meant no disrespect towards Letezia. Perhaps I can better explain Letezia's role by highlighting how she seems like the Spanish version of Crown Princess Masako whose role is simply to produce a male heir and defer to her husband.

I believe that it is something that I have repeated often and in what many people are wrong.

Sometimes there is had an obsolete vision of a Spain that looks alike more to Franco's Spain and that it does not have to see with the Spain of the S.XXI.

There is a thing on which I insist very much, Letizia is not a woman in the shade ofher husband, is a colitigant in the shade of an inheritor of right. With the time she will do acts in solitarily because it is the normal thing, but for the present time the positionis gained. About this moment probably think that Letizia helps more supporting her husband, that improving herself.

Though the situation is different because Letizia has an official recognition, and the Dukes colitigants not, the certain thing is that Jaime and Iñaki have never come to official acts alone, only they do it with wives, and to nobody it happens to say that they are men in the shade of their wives.

Letizia will have a more relevant role in the future, when she could develop a public normal activity without everything what she does turns into motive for creating polemic on the part of some.

Certainly, Letizia can have beautiful girls and nothing will happen. And before or later the law will change and Leonor will have her place insured ... because the Spanish society of the S.XXI would not accept another thing.

Last edited:
I can't believe Letizias weight is even a topic of discussion-if she was not eating enough there is no possible way she would have been able to get pregnant at all ,let alone carry to full term and produce probably the healthiest looking baby I have ever seen. To talk about her having some sort of eating disorder cheapens her efforts as being the ULTIMATE diplomat, and smart and hard working beyong belief. anyone not in awe of her dedication and work ethic would have to be crazy, the two of them are simply unbelievable. I hope Spain realises how lucky they are to be representing by the finest team they couldn't have even dreamed of. Sadly I think the people who work the hardest and dedicate their whole lives often get the least glory compared to the grandstanding showponies.:(

In this time and age a person in public life is judged more on their appearnce rather than their achievments in life!

Aussie Princess said:
Sadly I think the people who work the hardest and dedicate their whole lives often get the least glory compared to the grandstanding showponies.:(

I think your comments are entirely accurate. I think Felipe and Letizia are doing a brilliant job, is she thin, well people naturally come in all shapes and sizes don't they.:)

She is thin ! SO WHAT ! We have to pay attention, may be it exists also a narrow minded with whom is more difficult to have a good image than a thin people able to think. Who knows ? :p :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom