Your Opinions About Felipe and Letizia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CRIS said:
All the women are not Letizia; because other women are frustaded and are ill; Letizia must be it? Those women say that they are ill; but is that Letizia has said thousands of times, I am not ill, I am thus. Because insist on wanting that she says I am ill and I feel frustaded? She is happy, and is very well of health. You have not stopped yourself to think that Letizia wants to be with her husband supporting to? People change of form to think, and not always in the life you must be the star.
Totally agree! :flowers:

BTW, don't get me wrong on what i posted before (you guys might think what's wrong with this crazy girl :lol: first she's agaisnt then she's in favor) .. as an possible answer to tenngirl, i posted it because i read it somewhere but i don't support that statement.
I totally agree about Letizia supporting her husband in fact i think it's great they work as a team and Spain loves them both. And about the weight issue like CRIS said Letizia has said it thousands of times she is not ill!!. :flowers:

Last edited:
tenngirl said:
So, there had to be a reason for her slenderness.

I think the reason is called genetics. :rolleyes: Look at her mother and her two sisters who also have very slender frames. Are the three of them also anorexic?

tenngirl said:
We have been waiting for 2 years for Letizia to do something on her own. Can't she support her husband and the monarchy by going to an event as the main person? Why must she trot behind Felipe?

I have never seen Letizia "trot" before on her engagements. Are there pictures of that? It would be fun to see! ;)

tenngirl said:
If she has boundless self-confidence and courage, etc. why doesn't she show it? I would think that a strong, vibrant woman would be something that the King would want to show to the world. But you only see Letizia with Felipe.

Sometimes things aren't up to Letizia. She's a princess now, and like all "employees," Letizia has "bosses" to listen to. As has been repeatedly said, different royal courts handle things differently. The Spanish royal court doesn't want Letizia doing royal duties on her own yet even if she may feel that she's ready or she wants to, and as such, Letizia can't simply strike out on her own somewhere.

Royalty is very much about following an establishment and protocol. Decisions that Letizia would've otherwise made on her own in her journalist days aren't necessarily up to her anymore. As is being discussed in her Summer Vacations in Palma Mallorca thread, Letizia doesn't spend as much time with her own family anymore during the summer holidays as part of her commitments as the wife of Felipe means spending at least part of her summer holidays in Palma Mallorca with the rest of the royal family.

The establishment (or the "Grey Men") and protocol were things Diana (and Fergie) battled during their marriages. There were a lot of things that they each wanted to do but were refrained from doing because the Grey Men wouldn't allow it. The same applies to Letizia.

tenngirl said:
As you mentioned, she traveled the world as a reporter. She was the main attraction and was able to speak for herself. So wouldn't she be frustrated that now she is NOT able to speak for herself?

Who says she doesn't speak for herself? Have you read some of the articles posted here in which international politicians, writers, cultralists, artists, etc. comment on how informed, intelligent and educated Letizia is? They talk about how "impressed" and "enchanted" with her they are, how she is able to intelligently converse with them about their mandates, their books, their works, etc. Does that sound like a woman who can't speak for herself? To me it seems like a very confident and intelligent woman having equal discussions with political, cultural and social heavyweights.

tenngirl said:
That is why her slenderness seems so suspicious. She wants to be trim for the cameras but her weight loss seems extreme. Since various other women in the public eye have been so slender and have finally admitted to being sick, etc., that is why it makes you wonder.

Has she ever publicly said that she is purposely trying to be slim for the cameras? I believe when she recently acknowledged the subject head on she said that it was genetics. She didn't say that she dieted or exercised extensively or did anything else to affect her weight. Did I miss something? We all want to look good, but how we go about that and the degree of effort we all put into looking good in our eyes is different.

I see what you're trying to say, tenngirl. She just doesn't seem the same.

Alexandria said:
Who says she doesn't speak for herself? Have you read some of the articles posted here in which international politicians, writers, cultralists, artists, etc. comment on how informed, intelligent and educated Letizia is? They talk about how "impressed" and "enchanted" with her they are, how she is able to intelligently converse with them about their mandates, their books, their works, etc. Does that sound like a woman who can't speak for herself? To me it seems like a very confident and intelligent woman having equal discussions with political, cultural and social heavyweights.
But, if she can communicate so well to those brilliant people, why isn't she speaking out? If she goes to a meeting with them, why doesn't she get the chance to give the speech? Its not like giving a speech is a test of intelligence. If she was able to read the news for TV, then she should be able to read a speech!!! I would think that Felipe would enjoy a break once in a while.

I know that her life is not her own. However, think of the kudos to Spain to have this educated, brilliant woman representing them, giving speeches, etc. What is the King thinking?

I don't know about her family. But if she was not slender when she was a TV reporter and she was traveling everywhere with deadlines to meet and constant pressure, then why is she now? If its genetics, it seems that it would already have shown up!!

by the way, thank you, Matilde1286 for your agreement!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
tenngirl- You raise some valid points. I do agree with you on most of the things you wrote. But regarding her weight, nobody knows the true reason for her weight but in my family, the women are skinny people. No matter how much the women in my family eat, they always stay stick thin. It is definately a genetic thing, with my family at least. It also takes time, all my family members are not that skinny before they are in their late 20's but only after that, they all become skinny. It's a family gene.

But yes, she is an intelligent woman and maybe she could use those communication skills of hers that she learnt from being a journalist more in her royal work. I agree with you there. I think many of the crown princesses should commnicate more. But I really have no problem with her, she does a good enough job and she and Filipe seem happy together :)

Last edited:
tenngirl said:
But, if she can communicate so well to those brilliant people, why isn't she speaking out? If she goes to a meeting with them, why doesn't she get the chance to give the speech? Its not like giving a speech is a test of intelligence. If she was able to read the news for TV, then she should be able to read a speech!!! I would think that Felipe would enjoy a break once in a while.

I've been quietly searching for reasons for the fact that Letizia doesn't have any solo engagements. And I think I reached a conclusion - at least IMO.

The court is not afraid that Letizia will overshadow Felipe, the court is afraid that Letizia will overshadow Queen Sofia.

Sofia is now the "first lady" of the country. It's her that travels abroad on her own to meetings regarding microcredit, it's her that has her own foundation and etc. There's this very, very clear notion of hierarchy in the Spanish Royal family, and right now, the only woman allowed to shine is Sofia.

I know that the Infantas have their share of solo official duties as well, but for me they're seen as the "extension" of her mother.

And let's not forget that, back in the day, some people in Spain had a certain difficulty to accept Sofia because she was a foreigner. And Letizia is one of them, in many, many senses.

So, for now, the most important lady in the Spanish household is Queen Sofia, who's still a hard working queen.

That is a good poing Alexandria, it could be right or at least it could be part of the reasons of why we dont see Letizia doing some activities of her own. Ive been thinking it is a plan of the royal house to give the princely couple a common purpose with common activities, it is a way of approaching the people. I personally think that giving her some activities to do wont damage the master plan. There can be other reasons, like the one you expressed. Maybe they want her to get more time in learning how the royal activities should be made, we see Queen Sofia, The king, their children doing lots of activities but they spent most of their lifes being educated for those jobs. So having Letizia learning for some years can be a decission they have made. While writing this, i was thinking in Ernst of Hannover and how great prince consort he is (lets say it this way, even if he is a prince in his own right and Caroline is not a sovereign princess), he is doing the same role as the princesses married to heir to the thrones but luckily for him, everyone seems to accept it quite well. Also the husbands of the infantas dont have their own agenda, apart to those related to their jobs. This is something Letizia doesnt have, but i doubt she would have time for it with the agenda of her husband to follow.

My point is that there can be several reasons for this decision, what really matters is that Letizia is happy with it, i hope she is and that she doesnt feel additional stress for not having it. She seems happy, but she also seems like a person with a heavy load on her shoulders and the stress that goes with it. I just hope they evaluate their performance and they way to deal with things so they can make changes when it is necessary.

Last edited:
Anna_R said:
I've been quietly searching for reasons for the fact that Letizia doesn't have any solo engagements. And I think I reached a conclusion - at least IMO.

The court is not afraid that Letizia will overshadow Felipe, the court is afraid that Letizia will overshadow Queen Sofia.

Sofia is now the "first lady" of the country. It's her that travels abroad on her own to meetings regarding microcredit, it's her that has her own foundation and etc. There's this very, very clear notion of hierarchy in the Spanish Royal family, and right now, the only woman allowed to shine is Sofia.

I know that the Infantas have their share of solo official duties as well, but for me they're seen as the "extension" of her mother.

And let's not forget that, back in the day, some people in Spain had a certain difficulty to accept Sofia because she was a foreigner. And Letizia is one of them, in many, many senses.

So, for now, the most important lady in the Spanish household is Queen Sofia, who's still a hard working queen.

I do not believe that after 40 years is born in mind that the Queen Sofia was born in Greece .... it has passed already a lot of time ... and it is not necessary to forget that the King Juan Carlos was born in Rome. ;)

On the other hand, I do not believe that there is an alone reason for which Letizia does not do acts in solitarily. I believe that it is a heap of circumstances... Letizia catches many attention, and they do not want to turn her she is a famous and popular princess for herself ... but in a princess who makes the monarchic institution popular . There the shade is. The institution over the person. I believe that this it is the principal reason. And inside it it is does not get dark the work of other members of the family.

On what you comment...

It is true that in the monarchies the queens and princesses colitigants are in the habit of developing always the activities of charitable and cultural type ... cultural and socially this type of activities have associated more with the women. Possibly in countries like Holland or Denmark where the Queens are women and children have males, the arrival of the princesses was very good to promote this type of activities.

In Spain it is the opposite thing, there is one more woman and it is necessary to look for a place, and a suitable place where she could develop her activity. It would be very suitable that to Letizia were looking for an occupation and a project in the long term, with that the people the idenfique, it would be very positive. Mathilde and Maxima are working with the Microcredit, Mette Marit has begun to be employed at the struggle against the AIDS. But it seems that for House of the King, this is not a priority:bang: , and between other things it is not a priority because this work already other persons do it.

The Queen and the Infantas have the very distributed and organized activities.
The Queen continues being a very active woman in many things. She presides at her own Foundation dedicated to charitable and cultural purposes. Now she is overturned in the construction of a residence for the investigation and the patients' care of Alzheimer. She takes part in many cultural acts related to her Foundation. She collaborates for many years with the Microcredit, presides at the Association of struggle against the drug addiction and many other associations, and visit every year projects of Spanish Cooperation in different parts of the world.
The Infanta Elena presides at the Paralimpic Committee , and many activities related to children are assigned to her. The Infanta Cristina collaborates with the UNESCO, and devotes herself more to the activities with elders.
The sisters of the King, the Infantas Pilar and Margarita also collaborate with other institutions. Even the Princess Irene presides at a charitable association.

In order that they are going to worry in looking something for Letizia, in preparing some type of project and to develop it if other already they do everything? It seems that this does not worry them by no means, and that for them it would be one more problem...:bash:

tenngirl said:
tenngirl you raise a valid point and one that I have wondered about for so long now! I guess we will never know the exact answer as to why Letizia can't do her own thing. Perhaps when they have a 'completed' family then she will be able to have her own activities. However Anna R's point about people not wanting her to over shadow Queen Sofia is a very likely explanation. Sofia is admired throughout Spain and the world and I think for the moment they like having her as 'first lady'. Well myself and many people I know do. :flowers: I would love it of one day I could see my crown princess taking her own active role in Spain and I'm sure that eventually I will be able to!

One question, why does the subject of Letizia's weight keep coming up? In the pictures from the Marivent photoshoot her face did look tired but I hadn't noticed that at any other point during the vacation and certainly not before that. To me she just looked like Letizia! The way somebody looks shouldn't make our opinions on them, but sadly, in the world today it seems to do that! :mad: :sad:

tenngirl said:
I don't know about her family. But if she was not slender when she was a TV reporter and she was traveling everywhere with deadlines to meet and constant pressure, then why is she now? If its genetics, it seems that it would already have shown up!!
The point is that, contrary to what you're saying, she was very thin when she was a reporter!... It becomes a bit tiring, when several members take the time and patience to search those photos where it's quite obvious she has always been this thin and you don't even look at them...

Well, for those who can't understand Spanish, in this last video shared by Infanteleonor, one of those ladies who usually comment these things on TV shows is saying preety the same: that Letizia has been very thin all her life, that unlike Princess Diana or Princess Victoria (whose weight loss was very evident), Princess Letizia is not skinnier now than when she was working as a reporter and that, unlike those women who suffered from anorexia, the Princess is a very energetic, shherful and active person.

It does appear that Letizia has always been thin...perhaps like all of us her weight fluctuates. Let's not forget that in the last couple of years, she has made MAJOR adjustments to her life. Marriage, a new role and finally motherhood. That could cause anyone to eat either more or less.

In regards to her role (or lack thereof according to some members) it could be a variety of reasons including those already mentioned by members: the role of the Spanish court while I am sure its not like the Imperial Household of Japan maybe they have decided that Letizia should take more of a supporting role for the present. Let's face it...while she will one day be Queen it is Felipe who will be King..a role he has spent a lifetime being trained for. Perhaps they see that Letizia will get a lot of attention and so not to eclipse Felipe (like Diana with Charles..although we are talking about differing personalities) it is best she starts off slow supporting Felipe. Or perhaps Letizia like many women who have had to be a "superwoman" actually perfers supporting her husband and doesn't mind walking a step behind. As long as she doesn't feel stifled like Maskao of Japan I guess I am okay with it.

Elsa M. said:
The point is that, contrary to what you're saying, she was very thin when she was a reporter!... It becomes a bit tiring, when several members take the time and patience to search those photos where it's quite obvious she has always been this thin and you don't even look at them...

Well, for those who can't understand Spanish, in this last video shared by Infanteleonor, one of those ladies who usually comment these things on TV shows is saying preety the same: that Letizia has been very thin all her life, that unlike Princess Diana or Princess Victoria (whose weight loss was very evident), Princess Letizia is not skinnier now than when she was working as a reporter and that, unlike those women who suffered from anorexia, the Princess is a very energetic, shherful and active person.

Observing these photos there are different images, in some she is thinner than in others. Curiously, in that she seems to be thinner it is when she works travelling and following news ... whereas when one sees her with more weight she is sat in a set of television. When her activity was more intense .. she was losing weight.;)

On the video. The journalist is Consuelo Font, is a journalist who even does she was working for a political magazine following the information of the Royal House (there was clipping personnel, and now she takes part in some program of television), is enouhg serious. I remember that she was the first one in announced last pregnancy of Infanta Cristina before it was official.

If really there was some problem the Princess would not speak in a way so natural as she does it of this topic. She is tired of that one inspects with the topic, but she does not avoid speaking about the topic with the journalists when they approach her.

Last edited:
It almost seems that when the news about Letizia is positive, then the reporter is serious but when they are saying something bad about her, then the reporter is not someone you can trust. I think that, as another member mentioned, the pictures speak for themselves.

But Paloma Barrietos is really not a serious journalist, and you should know that. She writes gossips.

BTW, I'm still waiting for your response to my question in the Mallorca thread.

Roxsteve said:
It almost seems that when the news about Letizia is positive, then the reporter is serious but when they are saying something bad about her, then the reporter is not someone you can trust. I think that, as another member mentioned, the pictures speak for themselves.

I can see what you're saying Roxsteve but in every country there are a number of 'journalists' who people know are only into promoting gossip. In Spain Paloma Barrientos is definately one of them!
Another example is Jaime Peñafiel. Although he know's what he is talking about in the sense that he knows the royals, he generally makes up rumors to get back at them for whatever reason. Some people may choose to believe them- especially if they aren't a fan of the royal in question, in this case Letizia, but I wouldn't. However if the 'rumor' came from a more credible source or a source that usually told more truth than not, then I wouldn't be as sceptical! :cool:

So when will Letizia *finally* be doing something on her own?

Hannelore said:
So when will Letizia *finally* be doing something on her own?
Probably when she became a Queen Consort or when Sofia wouldn't can do smth:neutral: Or just when "the right time" come.

Last edited:
Since the other thread is closed I'd like to answer johann in here.

I'm absolutely surprised by your last comment towards Princess Letizia.

Letizia is an elegant Princess who, generaly, wears elegant outfits.

Also she varies very much on clothing so I don't understand why that reference to her not making speeches so she should pay attention to her clothes... this is too diminishing for royalty work don't you think?! Or that means that other princesses who deliver speeches go to those acts wearing jeans and sneakers???... And if they look elegant should I be worried?!

What do we know about all the work that's in the backstage?! Felipe's, Letizia's or others'... Most people they meet in those acts comment for the press mention that it is notorius that the Princes make their homework before attending acts.

Regards,
mtbcm :)

mtbcm said:
Since the other thread is closed I'd like to answer johann in here.

I'm absolutely surprised by your last comment towards Princess Letizia.

Letizia is an elegant Princess who, generaly, wears elegant outfits.

Also she varies very much on clothing so I don't understand why that reference to her not making speeches so she should pay attention to her clothes... this is too diminishing for royalty work don't you think?! Or that means that other princesses who deliver speeches go to those acts wearing jeans and sneakers???... And if they look elegant should I be worried?!

What do we know about all the work that's in the backstage?! Felipe's, Letizia's or others'... Most people they meet in those acts comment for the press mention that it is notorius that the Princes make their homework before attending acts.

Regards,
mtbcm :)
Well here we are again. These kinds of replies are nearly as predictable as Letizia’s white outfits. So if it makes you feel any better, feel free to call my remark diminishing or whatever. I for myself would like to call it ironic or maybe even cynic, given that I made it in the context of some other posts above, which dealt with Letizia´s missing own agenda. And I’m not going to justify myself for this remark any further.

As a side note: You mentioned all the work that’s done backstage. Nobody here casts a doubt on it. But don’t you think Letizia would have even more impact, if she would focus on her own agenda? She could concentrate herself on worthy causes like support for vulnerable persons, aids and development work (Mathilde an Mette-Marit), the integration of immigrants (Maxima) or healthcare (Mary) to name a few. And may I give you my impression? All I see is a talented women disappearing behind her husband. And this hurts.

johann said:
And may I give you my impression? All I see is a talented women disappearing behind her husband. And this hurts.

You see that:sad: , well I don't.

What I see is a Princess who attends acts besides her husband and is welcomed in every act with great expectation and joy by the organization and the people that are present on those acts.

I don't believe white suits are so predictable in Letizia as you suggest, but I agree calls too much attention (suits her really well:wub: in my opinion... I even disagreed with Anna_R ;) when she said Red was Letizia colour - I think it is white), but in a few weeks winter will be back and she will not have many chances to wear them.

Then, maybe we can return to the other predictable things, the cut of the hair, the weight and the solo acts... one goes, three more to go so we can just apreciate (or not) the way things are done by Spanish Royal House without falling in temptation to be always comparing royal houses, persons, acts etc. And I'm not being cynic, which is an art I still have to develop, I'm being honest. Because what hurts me is to see royals being compared all the time, and they're not even competing to know that they have to beat so many in so many fronts:sad: ...

I don't believe Letizia attending alone would have more impact, would have the same*, because she would be there doing the same thing that she does with her husband - honouring people, institutions and initiatives. Now this last part is totally predictable in me, because that's what I really feel.

(* not exactly the same - the day she start going out on solo no-one will pay attention to speach or her work, the problem will be the marital problems that are behind the Royal House decision to make her go alone because the Princes' relation is so bad that they not even go to acts together - difficult times to come:sad:)

Regards,
mtbcm:)

magnik said:
Probably when she became a Queen Consort or when Sofia wouldn't can do smth:neutral: Or just when "the right time" come.
I like your reply. One more here: one of those days when Felipe would rather have drinks with his buddies like a certain CP up north than going to a charity event with his wife, Letizia would have a solo event :wacko:. I'm afraid Felipe is simply too dutiful :).

I haven't been around in a couple of weeks—thanks for all the photos. I particularly liked the ones from the wedding they attended. Here are a couple more from Zuma Press in Barcelona.

http://www.zpicturegroup.com/search_results.html?HEADLINE=Spanish+Royals+in+Barcelona

It's funny that the discussion never seems to change around here. I think some posters need to simple accept that Letizia will never be a clothing horse (if you want to follow a royal who is, there are plenty of other royals to watch) and, more substantially, that the Spanish Royal House has made a very clear decision that Felipe and Letizia will have the same agenda for the foreseeable future. They have clearly rejected the "princess as celebrity" style of other houses and have embraced instead a "team" (Felipe's own description of them) approach. If it bothers you or annoys you or bores you, don’t follow them—because it's not going to change. Among other reasons, because the "team" approach works for this royal house; there is absolutely no advantage gained by the crown by giving them separate agendas at this point in time. Together–-as a couple--they have an undeniable charisma. They are ingrained now in the public mind as a team, as a single unit with a common purpose. That, in conjunction with the dignity and elegance of their manner, and their warmth and "simpatia"—makes for a very powerful public image—a public image which favors first and foremost the Crown as an institution of State. The individuals are not elevated, but the unit and the common purpose—which is of course the interests of Spain.

I know many of you disagree, but that's how I see it. And for this particular Royal House in this particular country, it has proven to be a beneficial and successful approach.

As I said, if you don’t like to see them share an agenda—because it annoys you or offends you or bores you--don’t waste your time watching them because it's not going to change anytime soon. I know I certainly have stopped following other royals because they bored me or I grew to dislike them. I for one will continue to watch Felipe and Letizia and continue to be interested in them, in part, because they have chosen a course and a style so different from and so in contrast to the celebrity-bravado of so many of today's public figures.

I completely agree with you and you did a great job in summarizing this great couple's role.

lucys said:
It's funny that the discussion never seems to change around here. I think some posters need to simple accept that Letizia will never be a clothing horse (if you want to follow a royal who is, there are plenty of other royals to watch) and, more substantially, that the Spanish Royal House has made a very clear decision that Felipe and Letizia will have the same agenda for the foreseeable future. They have clearly rejected the "princess as celebrity" style of other houses and have embraced instead a "team" (Felipe's own description of them) approach. If it bothers you or annoys you or bores you, don’t follow them—because it's not going to change. Among other reasons, because the "team" approach works for this royal house; there is absolutely no advantage gained by the crown by giving them separate agendas at this point in time. Together–-as a couple--they have an undeniable charisma. They are ingrained now in the public mind as a team, as a single unit with a common purpose. That, in conjunction with the dignity and elegance of their manner, and their warmth and "simpatia"—makes for a very powerful public image—a public image which favors first and foremost the Crown as an institution of State. The individuals are not elevated, but the unit and the common purpose—which is of course the interests of Spain.

I know many of you disagree, but that's how I see it. And for this particular Royal House in this particular country, it has proven to be a beneficial and successful approach.

As I said, if you don’t like to see them share an agenda—because it annoys you or offends you or bores you--don’t waste your time watching them because it's not going to change anytime soon. I know I certainly have stopped following other royals because they bored me or I grew to dislike them. I for one will continue to watch Felipe and Letizia and continue to be interested in them, in part, because they have chosen a course and a style so different from and so in contrast to the celebrity-bravado of so many of today's public figures.

May the best analysis of the Princes's team, very clever and appropriate to the spanish situation. Congratulation for your sumarize in a very good words!!!

I share absolutly your description.

I have not just accepted it;) ... I believe that the excesses are not good ... and though it seems to me to be good and I understand the reasons for which the Royal House has decided that the agenda should be hereby ... it does not stop seeming to me that they have taken it towards an end. Letizia also needs a bit from independence, to demonstrate that she also can make the things without the Prince, give her the activity and the protagonism that as Princess of Asturias must have. Two years and a half have passed from the wedding, Leonor already has born ... already it is time of that her little air. On Tuesday, she will be the protagonist of the act, but there the Prince will be. A hearing or a charitable or cultural act once a month .. the Prince of Asturias comes now to all the acts with the Princess, but later he has his hearings and his military acts.
That Letizia occupies her colitigant's place it is good ... but she is the Princess of Asturias, the future Queen ... and this situation in the long term can be harmful ... she should have already a minimum of independence, she would win and the Royal Family would win.

donnaK said:
I like your reply. One more here: one of those days when Felipe would rather have drinks with his buddies like a certain CP up north than going to a charity event with his wife, Letizia would have a solo event :wacko:. I'm afraid Felipe is simply too dutiful :).

I dislike your reply.;) Is Letizia having drinks and socializing with her girlfriends when she is not attending one of her husband's solo engagements?:rolleyes: Surely Felipe can let Letizia attend an event on her own for which she is patron and keep himself busy either with his daughter or with behind the scenes preparation of one of his solo engagements.
lucys said:
It's funny that the discussion never seems to change around here. I think some posters need to simple accept that Letizia will never be a clothing horse (if you want to follow a royal who is, there are plenty of other royals to watch) and, more substantially, that the Spanish Royal House has made a very clear decision that Felipe and Letizia will have the same agenda for the foreseeable future. They have clearly rejected the "princess as celebrity" style of other houses and have embraced instead a "team" (Felipe's own description of them) approach.

I am staunchly annoyed by the reasoning that if other royal couples aren't doing things the way that Felipe and Letizia are that they are in some ways inferior. Calling the princesses of other royal houses "clothes horses" or "celebrities" is in my opinion a gross devaluation of the serious work that many royal princesses do.:cool:

Last edited:
lula said:
I have not just accepted it;) ... I believe that the excesses are not good ... and though it seems to me to be good and I understand the reasons for which the Royal House has decided that the agenda should be hereby ... it does not stop seeming to me that they have taken it towards an end. Letizia also needs a bit from independence, to demonstrate that she also can make the things without the Prince, give her the activity and the protagonism that as Princess of Asturias must have. Two years and a half have passed from the wedding, Leonor already has born ... already it is time of that her little air. On Tuesday, she will be the protagonist of the act, but there the Prince will be. A hearing or a charitable or cultural act once a month .. the Prince of Asturias comes now to all the acts with the Princess, but later he has his hearings and his military acts.
That Letizia occupies her colitigant's place it is good ... but she is the Princess of Asturias, the future Queen ... and this situation in the long term can be harmful ... she should have already a minimum of independence, she would win and the Royal Family would win.
I absolutely agree with you Lula. And since you are the real expert in all Spanish matters, I appreciate your point of view even more, since I always watched Letizia from the distance. I guess less team work and more independence would do wonders on Letizia! It´s time for a change.

lucys said:

@Lucys:
For once and all - you don’t have to tell me or any other poster, what to do with my/their time. We are all grown up enough to decide it ourselves. So please stop giving this kind of advises. But may I give you a hint? If you want a discussion according to your taste try the ignore list in your user control panel.

As for the clothing horse comment, come on this is – if you will pardon me saying so – imprudent. And I am really interested in all the names of all this royal “clothing horses” out there. I guess it will be difficult to defend your very special point of view.

For the rest I absolutely agree with Larzen’s eloquent post.

Im delighted with your post lula:flowers: especially since you are spanish and I agree with it completely. The team is good, but the odd event alone is necessary to establish her as an independent Princess and future Queen also.
mtbcm said:
Then, maybe we can return to the other predictable things, the cut of the hair, the weight and the solo acts... one goes, three more to go so we can just apreciate (or not) the way things are done by Spanish Royal House without falling in temptation to be always comparing royal houses, persons, acts etc. And I'm not being cynic, which is an art I still have to develop, I'm being honest. Because what hurts me is to see royals being compared all the time, and they're not even competing to know that they have to beat so many in so many fronts:sad: ...
lucys said:
It's funny that the discussion never seems to change around here. I think some posters need to simple accept that Letizia will never be a clothing horse (if you want to follow a royal who is, there are plenty of other royals to watch) and, more substantially, that the Spanish Royal House has made a very clear decision that Felipe and Letizia will have the same agenda for the foreseeable future. They have clearly rejected the "princess as celebrity" style of other houses and have embraced instead a "team" (Felipe's own description of them) approach.
How is the discusion going to change when there is no (and I mean zero) development at the spanish court, what should we discuss about this Princess?
Not the clothes (because she is not a clotheshorse)
Not the hair (because it is so predicatable)
Not the weight (unless she is pregnant)
Not her soloacts (because she does not have any)
Not her speeches because she does not give any (Ok 1, and 1 comming up)
No comparrisons to other royals (unless it is to trash them to make F&L look good which seems to be allowed reading the posts in this very thread)

Adding to that that most of the people on this board dont read spanish, it makes it very difficult to start any deeper discussion on the acts they do where all we have is pictures and the odd video clip, usually of them walking, posing or sitting at a table or unveiling a plaque. What they look to be talking about, how interested the appeared in the plaque they were unveiling? So, exactly what new discussions are appropriate for this couple?

Yes I know it was a crass post but really it seems the only way to deffend this decision of Letizia agenda is to label the rest of the royals attention seeking hollywood clothehorse Princesses, just like it happened in the Luxembourg silverwedding event.

Last edited:
Here there are many different ideas, which it is not necessary to mix.;)

I believe that the Royal Spanish House has a clear aim ... that the work of the Princes is seen as a serious work, that what is valued is it and not all the superfluous things that exist around. It has been like that always. Because of it, they have wanted to flee of the pressure and of the speculation that the press realized around Letizia. She is a colitigant and must be on the second plane. The Princes are figures of state, political ... they are not actors or singers ... they must be protagonists of the newspapers and not of the frivolous "pink" press. Letizia's appearances, initially, the press would have turned them into a "circus".And possibly certain press had given a frivolous image of which they want to flee.

The idea was good and it continue being. Personally, it does not seem to me to be normal what has happened and I read that it happens in other countries. The Monarchies are institutions, which follow a line, where the position is inherited ... for the monarchies it is not good that the princesses colitigants turn into very popular prominent figures who end up by darkening their husbands. Evidently a woman in a charitable act with a nice suit, always turns out to be more enterteining and popular than a man with a gray suit surrounded with businessmen. I understand it, but it does not seem to me to be positive for the Monarchies that the citizens of a country think that a colitigant can do better work that a prince inheritor ... because it is a danger.

It was initially well, but I continue thinking that if it was a good idea initially, I do not believe that it is anything that could be kept for a long time. I believe that it is it, a question of time. :flowers: The Princes strain for doing a serious work, but unfortunately often this serious work, it is transmitted by certain press of a frivolous way, and it gives an incorrect image to the people. The Princes like team give a major sensation of unit and of serious work ... possibly if the Princess was coming to these acts alone, it would be easier for certain press it to transmit in a frivolous way to the public.

They must transmit a serious and responsible image, of work to the service of the country ... but often it is very difficult, for questions totally foreign to they.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom