Your Opinions About Felipe and Letizia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ZandraRae said:
I agree with alot of what Ricarda and Saturn say. The fact that we hardly see them acting affection toward each other just bugs me to death. I was brought up showing love to my family, whether people were watching or not. As for the thing about royalty marrying commoners... if you find love in someone who is not from your background, then great. As long as they're happy.

Firstly, Felipe and Letizia are there to do a job. They are at acts to represent Spain. How much affection would you show your husband or wife if you worked together? In my office, which is quite corporate, we know that some individuals are dating, but we would never expect to see them making out by the photo copier or in the lunch room. Just because Felipe and Letizia do not work in an office setting doesn't mean that such common etiquette in the workplace shouldn't follow.

Additionally, they are surrounded by ministers, organizers and fellow Spaniards at every event they attend. Do they really want to be "making out" in front of dozens or even hundreds of people?

Secondly, I think it's great that you were brought up to be openly affectionate with your family members, but not everyone was brought up in this manner, royal or otherwise. The King and Queen of Spain are rarely, if ever, publicly engage in kissing or hand holding when out and about. They likely brought their children up in a similar manner, especially when out working.

It's called professionalism, and it should be expected of all working adults, royal or otherwise. I for one would lose some respect for this couple if they began smooching at every public event they attended in a professional capacity. You know that when you see them, they are out to do their job, not to show the world head over heels in love they are.

I also think that couples who feel it necessary to publicly display their love and affection for each other (*cough Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, cough*), that their love isn't that secure or that strong. This couple is also not about grandiose gestures of love or great affection. This doesn't mean that they don't love each other or don't have affection for one another, but that subtle signs of their love will do, such as holding hands, whispering intimately in each other's ears now and then or a light kiss on the cheek.

adelaide said:
Dear royalwatcher, I don't understand (I'm not fluent in english) the end of your last sentence about Letizia...."as good as almost anyone could" Do you mean that the work doing by Letizia is so easy than abybody can do it ? or as to be a Crown Princess is very easy, Letizia didn't meet any difficulties to be one.

May be I'm wrong, but I think it's a very hard job, more, I think that the potantial crown princess who birthed in the cenacle with " blue blood" know that and don't want to make the sacrifice of their life for a dry vocation.

How many futurs Queen of Spain inside the european gotha ?

My writing was not very good there, what I meant was that she is doing a great job and that few could match her. I also think this couple works remarkably hard, they seem to have engagements nearly every day, and sometimes more than one a day. Did the prince work that hard before he was married? Maybe he did but no one was watching.

I fear I'm a little narrow minded because I don't understand the debate: If I read the last part of this thread Letizia and Felipe ( or Felipe and Letizia ) didn't show in public the strengh of their love because they didn't have hollywoodian lips kiss, or more simply ( always in public) lips kiss and so on.... I'm totaly astonished.... They are working hard in very serious contexts but as everybody can see it, they are always or quiet always holdings hands ( it's not very protocolar ) each all the five minutes they are looking at themselves with romantic eyes, they can't avoid to whisipering intimately in eacch other's ears now and then ( thanks Alexandra ) Felipe didn't stop to take his wife by the waist even when they are greating from the balcony of city hall, look at Leganès ( totaly, but absolutly totaly un protocolar )What can they do more to shown how they are in love considering that may be they aren't exhibitonist.

Yes, we can mainly see them working, not entertaining, but during the few moments when we can see them relaxing by the past they had given us some proof of something which can called " passion". Let us remenber the " hot" scenes of Olympic games in Athenes in august 2004 or the very tender shots of august in 2005 on the " Somni " launche at Palma de Mallorca!

What does they have to do to show how they are in love.... if it's the problematic ?

Thanks a lot Royalwatcher fot you precisions, I agree totaly with you as you could understand my meaning.....

Last edited:
royaltywatcher said:
Did the prince work that hard before he was married? Maybe he did but no one was watching.
That's it. After the Prince finished his Master studies, he intensified his activities throughout Spain and abroad (he's the representative of Spain in Latin America, since the very begining), but he just didn't have much visibility, which he obviously gets, whenever his wife shares the agenda with him.
The truth however is that, due to the Princess, his presence is now much, much more requested. Just to have an idea, here's a list of his official activities of the last 5 years, according to the Royal House website:

2000 – 62 official acts
2001 – 73 official acts
2002 – 63 official acts
2003 – 52 official acts
2004 – 126 official acts
2005 – 246 official acts

Obviously, the Princess' phenomenon represents an unestimated help to his popularity and press covering and, consequently to strengthen his image before the Spanish people.

One word : INCREDIBLE.....

I can't imagine it was so risen.... Can He say thanks Letizia ???

Elsa M. said:
Just to have an idea, here's a list of his official activities of the last 5 years, according to the Royal House website:

2000 – 62 official acts
2001 – 73 official acts
2002 – 63 official acts
2003 – 52 official acts
2004 – 126 official acts
2005 – 246 official acts

It really is amazing, men have so much of the power in the world, but women have the star power. It's the woman we all want to see, and maybe the interaction between the man and the woman. You can see that with every crown prince couple in Europe.

There aren't that many pictures when Felipe goes on solo duties. The photographers don't care about him. They care about his wife because she sells.

planetcher said:
There aren't that many pictures when Felipe goes on solo duties. The photographers don't care about him. They care about his wife because she sells.

It's not quite correct, I think it's the couple who is very photogenic and glamourous. Yes, you are right the Princess is a fantastic selling figure but the both together are tremandous...:D

Adding my 2 cents here, if I wanted to see people hugging and tonque kissing I would look at Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise:D or watch soap operas, not royals:D They are very important part of society and this is the main reason I respect them so much. And IMO we should regard them as the part of society, of their country, not only as a glamourous couple who looks nice in the photos. When I see pics of them I don't shout: "Oh, how handsome Felipe is!" (okay, sometimes I do:D) or "Leti looks beautiful!!!" but I asked: okay, so what did they do? About what was this act?

I like your" two cents" dear LCM; I'm thinking exactly as you.

royaltywatcher said:
It really is amazing, men have so much of the power in the world, but women have the star power. It's the woman we all want to see, and maybe the interaction between the man and the woman. You can see that with every crown prince couple in Europe.

I must be in the minority here. I like the women but I really like to follow the men. All the crown princes of Europe are quite nice looking and seem like nice guys. They've all got different personalities: Felipe is so sincere, Frederik is still very boyish, Philippe is stately and distinguished but a little shy, and Haakon is very independent but looks very kind. I find the men more interesting because they're harder to peg in a hole than the women are.

ysbel said:
I must be in the minority here. I like the women but I really like to follow the men. All the crown princes of Europe are quite nice looking and seem like nice guys. They've all got different personalities: Felipe is so sincere, Frederik is still very boyish, Philippe is stately and distinguished but a little shy, and Haakon is very independent but looks very kind. I find the men more interesting because they're harder to peg in a hole than the women are.

Hi Ysbel,

Just a curiosity, what does it mean to peg in a hole? Thanks :)

Ariel said:
Hi Ysbel,

Just a curiosity, what does it mean to peg in a hole? Thanks :)

Hi Ariel,

It means that people don't jump to conclusions so quickly about the crown princes based on a photo or something insignificant like that.

With the princesses, people tend to either love them or hate them on very little evidence - there's no middle ground.

But with the crown princes, people are generally more accepting of them as human beings with faults for sure but also with some good qualities. It makes them more interesting to read about.

ZandraRae said:
I agree with alot of what Ricarda and Saturn say. The fact that we hardly see them acting affection toward each other just bugs me to death. I was brought up showing love to my family, whether people were watching or not. As for the thing about royalty marrying commoners... if you find love in someone who is not from your background, then great. As long as they're happy.

ZandraRae,

You must have missed some Princes of Asturias' threads. They do show affection and love in public and that's why almost every events they attend some members of TRF go to "Royal Couples loving looks and gestures" and repost the pics at that thread.

Maybe you could take a look at their loving looks and gestures and other royal couples'. I think you will be amazed about some pics members discovered...

Regards,
mtbcm :)

Elsa M. said:
That's it. After the Prince finished his Master studies, he intensified his activities throughout Spain and abroad (he's the representative of Spain in Latin America, since the very begining), but he just didn't have much visibility, which he obviously gets, whenever his wife shares the agenda with him.
The truth however is that, due to the Princess, his presence is now much, much more requested. Just to have an idea, here's a list of his official activities of the last 5 years, according to the Royal House website:

2000 – 62 official acts
2001 – 73 official acts
2002 – 63 official acts
2003 – 52 official acts
2004 – 126 official acts
2005 – 246 official acts

Obviously, the Princess' phenomenon represents an unestimated help to his popularity and press covering and, consequently to strengthen his image before the Spanish people.

I believe those numbers are very low. I think that Prince Felipe had many more activities in the years 2000-2003. I have noticed that the new Casa Real website does not include all the activities of the royal family. On the new site is a link to the old site which list all the activities of the family. I think Prince Felipe has been, next to the Prince of Wales, the most active heir to the throne and now with the princess, one of (if not the) most active couples.

DMR412 said:
I believe those numbers are very low. I think that Prince Felipe had many more activities in the years 2000-2003. I have noticed that the new Casa Real website does not include all the activities of the royal family. On the new site is a link to the old site which list all the activities of the family. I think Prince Felipe has been, next to the Prince of Wales, the most active heir to the throne and now with the princess, one of (if not the) most active couples.

To my also they look like to me few acts, nonetheless, between 2000 and 2003 the Prince did many official trips to autonomous communities and to several European countries, which appear how one only act, but that actually are trips of several days with many acts. Since he married he has centred more on Spain, they have visited many places but in concrete acts and not in official visits.
The Prince already had crossed almost the whole Spain, only still had them the Baleares Islands who visited them last year .. and I believe that the Basque Country, Ceuta and Melilla ... that are politically complicated visits.

Elsa M. said:

2000 – 62 official acts
2001 – 73 official acts
2002 – 63 official acts
2003 – 52 official acts
2004 – 126 official acts
2005 – 246 official acts

Wow! That is a great improvement in visibility. Then I take back what I said about her profession as a reporter and commoner. I see that her popularity as a reporter has definitely given the monarchy more press coverage and strengthen the institution. I'm proud that the Spanish monarchy has not met the fate of the British monarchs, but instead has heightened its importance.

DMR412 said:
I believe those numbers are very low. I think that Prince Felipe had many more activities in the years 2000-2003. I have noticed that the new Casa Real website does not include all the activities of the royal family.
Well, that is right. Casa Real only lists the official activities, and they have a very strict concept of official, which is different from that of most royal families. For example, and just to have an idea, while the other royal houses consider the attendance of events like the Olympics and other things of the kind as official duties, Casa Real does not include that kind of acts. And it's also true that many visits Prince Felipe made abroad are listed just as one single act... but anyway, the aim here was not to give a rigorous counting of acts, but to provide an indicative, taking the Royal House's agenda as reference.;)

Dear Elsa M. the rising of the official acts of the Prince, by the way of the Princess is one thing and we can see it'a very important one, but we don't have to forget their office' work, for instance for the preparation of visites and speechs. It appears that the Princes are very well preparing their official acts.

I repeat that a lot and a lot but the office's work before, for instance, the visit of the four suburbs of Madrid was decisive for the success of these entreprises. The best proof is that the mayors themselves of this suburbs have recognized the high level of preparation of the Princes.

Felipe and Letizia aren't only cutters ribbon but also they know the material of the ribbon and the shears.....

Last edited:
Hey guys, I didn't mean to offend anyone with my post:( It is true that Felipe and Letizia do show some affection toward each other, but to me it's more her than him. As for the thing about their wedding (him not kissing her, but holding his mother's hand) still bugs me. And I didn't mean that they should have a make-out session in public.

Once again, sorry.

ZandraRae said:
Hey guys, I didn't mean to offend anyone with my post:( It is true that Felipe and Letizia do show some affection toward each other, but to me it's more her than him. As for the thing about their wedding (him not kissing her, but holding his mother's hand) still bugs me. And I didn't mean that they should have a make-out session in public.

Once again, sorry.

You do not have to apologize.;)

In Spain, the Infantas did not kiss publicly either.

The Prince is a future Chief of State (besides a shy man), not the protagonist of a romantic movie. He flees of the spectacle.

The only ones that took interest as this image were the paparazzi , but it is a bit infantile to think that a kiss in the mouth demonstrates more love, that a look, a gesture or a tender kiss in the cheek. A kiss in the mouth, is only a spectacle, not love. If the people were detaining to see the details, the gestures, the looks, love would see much more that in a kiss in the mouth.

We see too many movies, and there is the one who thinks that the life of the Principes is a movie, and is not like that or it should not be like that. There are many persons who do not want to do of their feelings a public spectacle.

Not to give kisses in the mouth means that you do not demonstrate affection towards your pair?:confused: Good do not worry I believe that nobody doubt that occurs them, but in private. :p :D

The love is not a kiss in the mouth, that is not demonstration of love, is spectacle. :p They do not demonstrate to love the one to the other?:eek: watches their glances, gestures…; that is love. In addition that they do not have because to be occurring kisses in the mouth, if they do not want; they have right to their privacy. And they in their appearances are making their work, not demonstrating to people if they have love or no.:)

And I follow without understanding that has of bad giving the hand to your mother? The married men can not have an affection gesture towards their mother? :confused:

lula said:
There are many persons who do not want to do of their feelings a public spectacle.
Just for the record, Prince Edward and Sophie-Rhys Jones were just one more example to add to the list... they didn't kiss in the mouth for the sake of paparazi... and, from my part, I would add "thank goodness".

I just love both of them. They're very dedicated to their work and to Spain. And of course to each other. I think it's visible they love eachother very much and they have their little angel Leonor to show for it. :D So kissing each other in public or not, is really their business, not ours!!!

They are both good-looking, intelligent, respectable, diplomatic, hard-working, they love each other.....and last but not the least,they have the most adoring royal baby...What more can we say??...They are just too perfect, at least in my eyes and to those who appreciate them...and I think a lot would agree with what I've said about them ...and I just love this family;) ....

There is no doubt about it...this Crown Princely couple is the most hard-working couple of the Crown Princely couples, as is evident by their almost full daily agendas.

However, there is still something that just doesn't sit with me. It still shocks me today that a lot of people can't see how sickly Letizia looks. When she was a reporter she looked absolutely gorgeous. Now, however, she looks way older and sickly. I can't really say I believe her when she states that that is her "constitution," because we once saw her looking so very much different and healthier (I did anyways). When I look at photos some posters posted of her almost 2 years ago and then at the more recent ones, it is extremely evident to me that something is going on, because she just doesn't look healthy. No one is so thin to the point where no fat is evident. I'm not saying I want her to be fat, it's just that sometimes she seems to be so thin that there's more bones showing than actual fatty mass. I felt this way especially when I was looking through the SRF thread, "Summer Vacations in Palma de Mallorca 2006," where Letizia appears so thin it's shocking to me. It seems every year I see her becoming thinner and thinner.

I've never really expressed my opinion of her in such detail and I know there are some posts coming to me, but now, it just seems to be getting worse, to me, in my opinion, that is. No rudeness intended.

Last edited:
I agree with you Mathilde, Letizia is far too skinny now

source: Wireimage
do you honestly believe a healthy woman would have arms like hers? her bones look like they'll come out any time!:eek:

The lighting was bad, this particular picture probably didn't reflect the reality. If she were not healthy, she probably wouldn't have been able to undertake the numerous activities the last couple of months. She is not the only one who lost weight, Felipe also looks thinner than usual. Probably they just need a break.

Last edited by a moderator:
donnaK said:
The lighting was bad, this particular picture probably didn't reflect the reality. If she were not healthy, she probably wouldn't have been able to undertake the numerous activities the last couple of months. She is not the only one who lost weight, Felipe also looks thinner than usual. Probably they just need a break.

If she were sick, it does not mean she cant do anything, but if she were really sick and nobody does anything to help her, then she wont be able to do in the future what she is doing now. Hopefully it wont be this way and just a phase like we all have.

maybe you're both right, but I think she has lost a lot of weight:

Source: TVE captures from letiziaortiz.tk and Wireimage

And about not being able to fullfill her duties, Victoria of Sweden always did her acts no matter how thin she was so I don't think that's a justification...

Mods: feel free to move this to the Posting Habits thread if you consider it necessary;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom