Will Criticism of Princess Letizia Increase or Decrease when she becomes Queen?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HMTLove23

Nobility
City
bethlehem
Country
United States
do you think the criticism of Princess Letizia will Increase or decrease when she becomes Queen?

Criticism about:

not providing a male heir (YET)
her clothes, either blowing in the wind or her bikini.
her previous marriage/divorce.
her relationship with her husband and In-Laws.
her parents and sisters.
etc...

1. not providing a male heir (YET) - Decrease
2. her clothes, either blowing in the wind or her bikini - Depends on what she wears
3. her previous marriage/divorce - Won't decrease, unsure if it will increase
4. her relationship with her husband and In-Laws - Won't decrease, unsure if it will increase
5. her parents and sisters - Neutral, no answer

not providing a male heir( yet) :increase
her clothes , either blowing in the wind or her bikini :depend of the outfits she choose to wear
her previous marriage/divorce: no answer
her relationships with her husband and In laws: will stay the same
her parents and sisters: neutral

I think that eventually, after a long period of time, people get sick of reading/hearing/saying the same things.
I would hope that critisism of her first marriage ends - it is in her past, did not produce any children and was not a church wedding.
I think that Letizia will consider her skirts more carefully (it was a one time incident wasn't it?), but I have no idea about bikinis...
If she has another child, and it is a girl, then I personally think that the talk will only increase.
As to the rest of the family, I have no idea.

It sickens me that they criticize her for "not providing a male heir", if they only have girls what's the problem? Leonor will be the queen.. what's the big deal??

do you think the criticism of Princess Letizia will Increase or decrease when she becomes Queen?

Criticism about:

her parents and sisters.
etc...

Is there criticism about Letizia not producing a male heir? I thought we all knew by now that the male determines the baby's gender.

If there is a male child now, there will forever be doubt as to his moral right to the throne, if not his legal right. He may ascend to the throne, but he won't be the real heir.

Some may try to bring up Letizia's previous marriage to demonstrate that she is "unsuitable" for the throne, but nobody cares so they won't be able to sustain the charge. Besides, it's too late, they are married, happily and attractively, and they have children. Too late.

My observation is that Letizia has excellent relationships with all family members, hers and Filipes, except maybe for Cristina, and I suspect that's on Cristina's side. What is to criticise?

She can't control the wind (does anyone think she can?) and her bikini was worn where she could reasonably believe that she was safe from the public eye. Really, should she wear full body armor in her bathroom lest some paparazzi have some camera planted there?

Criticism of a person is not dependent on what their status is. Princess of Asturias or Queen… it will probably not matter much to the people who're critical today, or the people who are overly gushing. What matters, when it comes to criticism in this case, is the actions of Letizia, and the public perceptions of them.

I can not belive that people will criticism Princess Letizia, because she have not providing a male heir (yet). Thats a shame:bang:

I can not belive that people will criticism Princess Letizia, because she have not providing a male heir (yet). Thats a shame:bang:

I agree - its sickening. But I still stand by what I said before, there will always be some...

not providing a male heir (YET) : Increase:neutral:
her clothes, either blowing in the wind or her bikini : Increase:frazzled:
her previous marriage/divorce : decrease unless someone writes a tell-all book:shock::hotwater:
her relationship with her husband and In-Laws : Neutral/Increase :hug:
her parents and sisters :Decrease/Neutral

I would not put too much emphasis on Letizia's reception as Queen - I think it will be far more important for the survival of the spanish monarchy whether Felipe will be respected as King or not. In terms of Letizia supporting this goal I don't believe she will make a difference for the better - she does not make him sparkle now and I doubt she will make him sparkle when he's King - but I don't believe that she will make a difference for the worse either. I honestly think that people will not bother much about her - she will do her job well but I don't see her making this special impact or receiving this special admiration from the public that other consorts have managed to achieve.

Her clothes - well, as she already dresses like a much older woman and given that she will - hopefully - be a lot older once she will be Queen the gap will finally close and the critizism disappear.

Her family or her relationship with her inlaws - very uninteresting topic, really, unless there will be any conflicts shown openly which I doubt.

Her relationship with Felipe - I believe they are very much in love and have formed a happy family. All will depend on if they can save this or if not - main dangers could be Felipe transforming into a JC and become a Don Juan or Letizia not coming to terms with her role.

Her previous marriage - times have changed but somehow it will always be a flaw, at least for me.

Not providing a male heir yet - don't get me wrong, I think that Leonor should be Queen and the constitution should be changed, rather sooner than later. Some of the monarchs who made some serious impact in world history have been women - see Britain, Elizabeth I or II - or just have a look at the Dutch, another proof that women are up to it. Furthermore, it's well known that the gender is being decided by the male and not by the female partner, therefore any critizism on Letizia is hurtful and ridiculous.

The problem though is that preferring the male heir has a longstanding history within monarchy in general therefore it's in people's heads, even more when countries, like Spain, still follow this tradition. It's somehow seen as main duty of the female consort to provide a male heir - as eg Queen Sofia did - and only if the consort "fails" one can revert back to the girls. In times of the Yellow Press it provides a great subject to speculate on therefore I hope that the constitution will be changed soon. Somehow I hope that F & L stick with the two lovely girls they have - if there is a third child the media will suggest that Letizia had been chased into another annoying and dangerous pregnancy (she had two c-sections already) for the sake of the male heir. Then, if it's a girl, she "failed" again and if it's a boy the pressure will be really on as then there is a need to change the constitution quickly - not so easy - as I believe that Leonor will be groomed as Queen and this is what she should become in the end.

I think that the first years as Queen will be hard for Letizia, it is only logical that she will be compared to Queen Sofia, and Queen Sofia is almost the perfect Queen-Consort, so if things will be compared this will be negative for Letizia.

About other things, she will be older, there will be less interest in her clothes (how often are the clothes of Queen Sofia discussed in the press), she will probably be unable to give birth anymore (by the time she will be Queen, as I hope JC has many years ahead of him). So the providing of a male heir won't be an issue anymore. The previous marriage and such will be 'old news' as it is starting to get now, so I don't think that will be the major issue either.

As I said the most obvious reason dfor critisism if and when Letizia becomes Queen is the comparison to her nearly perfect mother-in-law.

I can understand the criticisim about her dress/appearance. I know it is very shallow to think that how she dresses really matters, but . . . . it does. :ohmy:

I am complete agreement with those that think her style has become that of a women in her middle years. That's 50+. :eek:

Letitzia will always make me think of the wonderful appearance at the wedding of CP Fredrik and Mary, with a kind of regret. At the wedding her hair was fabulous and suited her stlye, her dress and deportment were exemplary but, far more importantly she was animated and stunning. Not only did she shine, but she made her Prince shine too, in fact Felipe positively sparkled, or more accurately beamed with joy. :notworthy:

Unfortunately, by the time of her own wedding she seemed to have lost so much weight that her dress dwarfed her. She seemed not so much demure as timid, almost fragile. A shadow of her former self. What on earth did the SRF do to squash all that vitality and wamth.:yuk:

The love and chemistry between that young couple was wonderful to see. But now it's like a royal 'mini me' of his parents, who strangely enough, are much more animated and an awful lot older. :beamup:

If ever a royal family needed a shot of 'pizzaz' it was the SRF. Given the chance to shine just look what they did. :doh:

So, lots more moans about how Letitzia dresses and acts I think. :sad:

Criticism about:

her parents and sisters.
etc...

Personally, I think providing a male heir is not an issue. We all can see that the media and the spanish people love Leonor. I don't think they will mind having a Queen Leonor one day. For her clothes, the bikini thing does not really became a problem for her (she was with Sofia). Previous marriage, past is past and divorce is acceptable now even in Spain so I think it will not be a problem although it will keep haunting her esp. the likes of Penafiel who keeps on criticizing her. Her family...I don't think she has any problem with her in-laws ( at least the pictures say so).. I think her relationship with them is very formal and some people might think that she's having problems keeping a good relationship with them but the thing is she's not.

Criticism about:

her parents and sisters.
etc...
I wonder if Letizia will be criticised also for not having been raised as a Catholic by her family, when she will be a "Catholic" Queen of a Catholic Country. Provided that the Spanish Royal Family will still consider themselves a Catholic Royal Family of a Catholic Country by the time Letizia will be the Queen of Spain.

I don’t think she will be criticized any more or less than she is now when she is Queen. She is a public figure and criticism is something that comes with the job. Sometimes it will be worse than others, sometimes justified and sometimes for the most ridiculous things. It is something that all the princess have to live with on a daily basis, it’s sad but part of their lives now and I don’t see it ending any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that for the only thing that will value she is for if she does well or does badly her work. It is the important onlything, the rest has little enough felt. The clothes, the bikini, her previous divorce, or if she has a son ... they are things that the majority of the people concern little.

[...]some journalists or that some persons look for any detail, in any destination to criticize the Princess, because in the last years it has been a business ... it does not mean that it is general. For the majority of the people it they are only absurd gossips, and what matters for them are other things.

The best example of it is Peñafiel. A person retrograde, who recovered his popularity for criticizing the Princess for everything. Initially, that always was criticizing the Princess to many peopl it seemed to them to be nice, because, in this country the critique and the gossip are a " national sport ". But the time passes, and increasingly the people think that this man is a retrograde, which has attacked her senseless to do business, every time he loses more prestige.

What initially was producing certain sharm, which now it provokes is rejection and sensation of injustice. Many persons think that already it is sufficient, and the Princess is more valued by supported it, and for behaving always well. The time places everything in its place.

Queen Sofia's popularity is fairly recent. She was neither liked nor accepted for a long time. "Queen" Letizia will be critizied no matter what - as will all the other new queens be simply becasue they are easy targets.

Anyways, I was only wondering if Letizia would feel like a Catholic Queen like Sophia ( and we will see her in white when meeting the Pope, for example), and what the Spanish will think of that.
I have read that Letizia had her first communion only a few days before her wedding and her family is not religious at all, so I thought it would be weird if she would claim to be a Catholic Queen but, anyways, I was only curious about what the Spanish could think of that.

I feel the same about it - Spain has this image, eg nurtured by the SRF visiting the pope and vice versa - but it's a fact that Letizia, as many people from the younger generation, had had an agnostic attitude despite being baptized and having received her first communion. This is were it ended - she only got her confirmation at Zarzuela's chapel shortly before her wedding. It was very important to both King and Queen that their daughter in law was not only catholic but also practising her belief therefore Letizia got some private lessons to keep up with the standard within the SRF, even if it's just for showing off, who knows.
Because of this background and her agnostic attitude in earlier days - eg getting married but not in church the first time around - she must be careful not to pick up a hyprocritical attitude when becoming one of the few catholic queens around and enjoying all these privileges that the Vatican usually offers to those who will openly back them. Apart from Letizia's past Elena's forthcoming divorce will probably be another blow to the flawless image that the SRF has represented for the Vactican so far.

Letizia will be the perfect queen

I don't have any matter with Letizia. My personal opinion is that Letizia has
a cool strong personality that will made him the perfect queen. He is
learning well her future job with the useful help of actual queen. When I
think in Letizia I see a future good queen like Sophia of Greece. She knows
well her future role like queen of Spain.​

Hello everyone - Let's please leave the topic of religion out of this discussion except where it applies to the royal family specifically.

Empress - Royal Forums Supermoderator

It might well increase because Felipe is not as popular as his father King Juan Carlos I.

QUOTE;

Criticism about:

not providing a male heir:It will increase because Elena would have inherited the crown if a male heir was not relevant.

her clothes, either blowing in the wind or her bikini. Well, I think she might have a style adviser in the future.
her previous marriage/divorce. It is almost forgotten

her relationship with her husband and In-Laws. It is getting worse.
her parents and sisters. Thelma is highly polemic but the rest rest in silence.

etc...

Her relationship with her husband and In-Laws. It is getting worse.
I was unaware that there was any tension beween Letizia and Filepe, let alone with her inlaws. Is this a new development?

I was unaware that there was any tension beween Letizia and Filepe, let alone with her inlaws. Is this a new development?

Actually, this is just a crazy rumour, based on light air :bang: According to some people the relationship between Letizia and specifically Cristina is quite bad as they never talk to each other while being present at official days.

I think the criticism of Letizia will stay the same when she becomes Queen, especially on this forum I'm afraid! I don't see why anything would suddenly change!

I am not aware of this too. Please tell us more about this Princess Ana because what I am aware of lately are the criticism that Felipe and Letizia are almost always holding hands even in a gala :lol: And this is also what I've seen lately of Queen Sofia and Letizia and Infanta Elena

I just don't understand why some people really want to only say bad remarks (even when making-up or lying) about this couple. Recently on a trip to Holland I found out that everyone that I talked to there really loved their Maxima and Spain's Letizia. Some even thought that Maxima could take a page from Letizia's book on a few things. That being said, the only time I find critism of Letizia (personally not her clothes as that is an individual preference) seem to be on these forums or by really "low class" and jealous royal want-to-be journalists.

The princess Letizia will be a marvellous queen.
Now she is a wonderful princess.
The princes are loved.
It is important for nobody if she was divorced, because now she is married.
And her relation with the queen Sofía is perfect.
I am Spanish. I live in Spain.
That I read so strange things....:whistling:

Criticism about:

She is still young enough to have more children. CP Felipe was Q Sofia's third child. There is still hope.
Well, Queen Silvia of Sweden is still sporting a bikini during summer holidays and for a lady old enough to be a grandma she looks stunning. Letizia is much younger and slim enough to carry it.
If this did not stop her from becoming Princess of Asturias, I do not think it will pop up, hopefully many years from now.
This is an issue. By the time she becomes Queen the relationship with the in laws will not much matter but the one with her husband will always be important. Again, I believe they did not know each other long enough before they married and this may be good or bad, depending on what flaws in each other they did not have time to come to terms with. Felipe has the reputation of being very stubborn. Let's hope they will remain in their current situation for a long long time in terms to their relationship and duties to the Crown.
her parents and sisters. Seems like she is close to them all
etc...

IMO as soon as the Infantas become teens and start dating all the attention will move away from Letizia.

I have very little interest in Letizia (apart from seeing what she wears to the odd gala banquet), and although she seems, and always has seemed to me, a rather uninteresting person (probably quite the opposite I'm sure), I think many criticisms she faces are, at times, harsh and prejudiced.

Back
Top Bottom