Titles and Styles of Leonor & Sofia's future husbands

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duke of Marmalade

Imperial Majesty
City
Frankfurt am Main
Country
Germany
ok, at the moment is slow news time in Spain so I thought about speculating a bit.

I think Sofia's husband will take the example of Inaki or Jaime, meaning he will be His Excellency Duke of XY, their children will be HE too.

What about Leonor's future husband? The title Prince of Asturias is reserved for the heir to the throne so how will he be styled as Prince of Spain?

happy speculating :flowers:

i guess the earliest example we have to use of a female regnant queen was Isabel II of Spain. she married the duke of cadiz, and he kept using that title when she was princess of asturias and even after she became queen, for a while, before using the title of king.

however, this was such a long time ago (early 1800s), so i guess the SRF will have licence to do whatever feels right at that time, and, given the evolution towards equality, my guess is that leonor's husband will become prince of asturias, just as it happened to letizia when felipe married her.

on a more recent example, when juan married maria mercedes, she was an infanta (her husband was too), but when he took up Count of Barcelona as a title of pretence to the spanish throne (they were exiled), she became the Countess of Barcelona.

Last edited:
The title Prince/ss of Asturias is and has always been shared with the spouse of the heir. You can find the Royal Decree of November 6, 1987, in English, here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f21/titles-of-the-royal-family-3524-9.html#post1900350 It specifies the titles of the monarch, the heir, their spouses, and their children and grandchildren.

Isabel II became Queen at the age of two in 1833; when she married her cousin Infante Francisco de Asís, Duke of Cádiz, he became King (consort). The Royal Decree of 1987 actually evolved away from gender equality: the husband of a future Queen will be a Prince only.

i guess the earliest example we have to use of a female regnant queen was Isabel II of Spain. she married the duke of cadiz, and he kept using that title when she was princess of asturias and even after she became queen, for a while, before using the title of king.

however, this was such a long time ago (early 1800s), so i guess the SRF will have licence to do whatever feels right at that time, and, given the evolution towards equality, my guess is that leonor's husband will become prince of asturias, just as it happened to letizia when felipe married her.

on a more recent example, when juan married maria mercedes, she was an infanta (her husband was too), but when he took up Count of Barcelona as a title of pretence to the spanish throne (they were exiled), she became the Countess of Barcelona.

I believe it was mentioned in another forum (I can't remember which one) that a decision has been made that Leonor's husband will be titled "Prince of Asturias", but, when she becomes queen, he will be known as prince consort rather than king, thereby abandoning Spanish tradition.

I believe it was mentioned in another forum (I can't remember which one) that a decision has been made that Leonor's husband will be titled "Prince of Asturias", but, when she becomes queen, he will be known as prince consort rather than king, thereby abandoning Spanish tradition.

how sad in that case. that will surely not mean equality. if letizia is queen, then for the sake of equality, leonor's husband should be too. how can us, women, then expect to be equal to men if men aren't granted the same privilege as women? it just doesn't set the right example and shows we have a long way to go regarding gender equality.

Traditionally king is always a higher rank to Queen. There will always be that history hanging over head. That is why in other countries, the husband of a queen is a prince consort. With a few exceptions like Mary II.

The solution to equality is not to make husbands kings. It would be to make all spouses consorts. So the wife of a king, like when Christian becomes king, his wife would be Princess Consort. Leaving the queen/king title for the person who inherited the title, no matter the gender.

Sofia's husband should be Prince x, duke of x like his wife. But I would not be surprised if he wasn't simply HE X, duke of x like Inaki.

how sad in that case. that will surely not mean equality. if letizia is queen, then for the sake of equality, leonor's husband should be too. how can us, women, then expect to be equal to men if men aren't granted the same privilege as women? it just doesn't set the right example and shows we have a long way to go regarding gender equality.

I hope Prince Henrik reads this, he will be really pleased!! ;)

I think that there is no question that Sofia's husband will be a Duke and not a Prince, given Sofia will cease to be a member of the working SRF once her sister becomes Queen (like Cristina & Elena).

but, when she becomes queen, he will be known as prince consort rather than king, thereby abandoning Spanish tradition.

Prince, not even Prince Consort. ;)

Royal Decree 1368/1987, dated 6 th November, regulating titles, forms of address and honours pertaining to the Royal Family and to the Regents

Chapter One: Of the Royal Family

Article 1

1. The holder of the Crown shall be termed The King or The Queen of Spain and He or She may use the other titles pertaining to the Crown, as well as the other peerages belonging to the Royal Family. He or She shall be addressed as His or Her Majesty.

2. The King of Spain's wife, whilst She remains His spouse or stays a widow, shall be termed The Queen and be addressed as Her Majesty, being entitled to the honours pertaining to Her Dignity, pursuant to the law of the Realm.

3. The husband of The Queen of Spain, whilst he remains so or stays a widower, shall be entitled to the Dignity of Prince. He shall be addressed as Your Royal Highness and be entitled to the honours pertaining to his Dignity, pursuant to the law of the Realm.

Article 2

The heir to the Crown shall, as from his or her birth or as from the moment the fact giving rise to such entitlement arises, possess the Dignity of The Prince or The Princess of the Asturias, as well as the remaining titles traditionally attached to the Successor to the Crown and be entitled to the honours pertaining to him or her by virtue thereof. He or she shall be addressed as Your Royal Highness. The same Dignity and form of address shall correspond to his or her spouse, with the honours deriving therefrom, pursuant to the laws of the Realm.

Article 3

1. The King's sons and daughters not possessing the Dignity of Prince or Princess of the Asturias, as well as the children of the latter Prince or Princess, shall be Infantes or Infantas of Spain, respectively, and shall be addressed as Your Royal Highness. Their spouses, whilst they continue being so or stay a widower or widow, shall be entitled to the form of address and honours The King, as a gracious decision, may grant them, pursuant to the powers vested upon Him by paragraph f) of Article 62 of the Constitution.

2. Likewise, The King may grant the dignity of Infante or Infanta and the form of address of Your Royal Highness to those persons he shall deem fit of such a grace given the exceptional circumstances that concur.

Chapter Two: Of the Regency

Article 5

The persons exercising the Regency shall be addressed as Your Highness with the same honours as those laid down for The Prince of the Asturias, unless entitled to honours of a higher rank.

Chapter Three: Of the peerages pertaining to the Royal Family

Article 6

The use of peerages, pertaining to the Royal Family, may only be authorised by the Holder of the Crown to members of His or Her Family. The conferment of use of the title shall be considered a grace of a personal nature and for life.

[...]
Traditionally king is always a higher rank to Queen. There will always be that history hanging over head. That is why in other countries, the husband of a queen is a prince consort.

In Spanish history, the consorts of Queens of Spain were Kings of Spain, the husbands of Princesses of Asturias were Princes of Asturias, and until the abolition of the monarchy in 1931, husbands of Infantas of Spain were created Infantes of Spain if the marriage was equal and the couple settled in Spain.

Sofia's husband should be Prince x, duke of x like his wife. But I would not be surprised if he wasn't simply HE X, duke of x like Inaki.

If Sofía's husband is created an Infante, a ducal title will be unnecessary, as the title of Infante outranks the title of Duke in Spain.

Last edited:

Isabel II. became Queen at the age of 3 and was already Queen for several years when she married so her husband never became Prince of Asturias.
The older sister of Alfonso XYIII. maria de las Mercedes was Princess of Asturias at the time of her marrige but her husband did became Infante not Prince of Asturias then.

Last edited:
Traditionally king is always a higher rank to Queen. There will always be that history hanging over head. That is why in other countries, the husband of a queen is a prince consort. With a few exceptions like Mary II.

The solution to equality is not to make husbands kings. It would be to make all spouses consorts. So the wife of a king, like when Christian becomes king, his wife would be Princess Consort. Leaving the queen/king title for the person who inherited the title, no matter the gender.

Nevertheless, as far as I know, husbands of reigning queens have always been titled "king" in Spain and Portugal. Why should the Spaniards abandon their own tradition ?

If Princess Leonor's husband has the title of Duke of X when she marries him, will he retain that title if he is from a foreign country?

I believe a foreign title would be governed by the laws of the foreign country. Thus if a British duke became prince consort or even king regnant of Spain, his peerage would not merge into the Spanish crown.

Would the Queen Regnant of Spain hold the title of a British duchess if her spouse was a British duke?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Princess Leonor's husband has the title of Duke of X when she marries him, will he retain that title if he is from a foreign country?

yes and after him the title will merge into the Crown if there descendants become king/queen ( if the title can be passed to a daughter )

yes and after him the title will merge into the Crown if there descendants become king/queen ( if the title can be passed to a daughter )

I believe a foreign title would be governed by the laws of the foreign country. Thus if a British duke became prince consort or even king regnant of Spain, his peerage would not merge into the Spanish crown.

Last edited:
I would say, would join their list of secondary titles. And if her heir was a son it would merge in a sense. Her eldest son would inherit both. Unlike Spanish titles, a British duchy cant be ceded to a younger child. But it would not be permanent.

Lets say Leonor married Henry Russel, heir of Duke of Bedford (same age). On marriage she would be Leonorr, Princess of Asturius, Marchioness of Tavistock (later Duchess of Bedford).

Then say the couple had 2 kids, Juan and Maria.

1st option:

Juan is oldest: He is Juan, Infant of Spain, Lord Howland
-on the death of his paternal grandpa he becomes Marquis of Tavinstock
and Prince of Asturius when Felipe dies
-when his parents die he is HM The King of Spain, Duke of Bedford
-now if his eldest is son, the title continues with the thrown, if a daughter then Bedford would separate.

2nd option

Maria is eldest:
-when Leonor is queen, Maria is Princess of Asturius
-Juan is Lord Howland/Marquis Tavistoke/Duke of Bedford as only male heirs can inherit. The title leaves the crown

If they had no sons, but Maria and Letizia, then the duchy would pass to the next male in the Russell clan. That would be Leonor's father in law's younger brother James and his line. James has 2 sons, Leonor's example husband's 1st cousins.

Be similar to when Victoria became queen of the UK but she couldn't inherit the German titles. Her Uncle Ernest inherited Hannover.

She wouldn't be the only British Duchess with a foreign title, the Duchess of Wellington is Princess Antonia of Prussia. Difference Antonia is not a heiress, courtesy tittle.

Last edited:
I would say, would join their list of secondary titles. And if her heir was a son it would merge in a sense. Her eldest son would inherit both. Unlike Spanish titles, a British duchy cant be ceded to a younger child. But it would not be permanent.

Lets say Leonor married Henry Russel, heir of Duke of Bedford (same age). On marriage she would be Leonorr, Princess of Asturius, Marchioness of Tavistock (later Duchess of Bedford).

Then say the couple had 2 kids, Juan and Maria.

1st option:

Juan is oldest: He is Juan, Infant of Spain, Lord Howland
-on the death of his paternal grandpa he becomes Marquis of Tavinstock
and Prince of Asturius when Felipe dies
-when his parents die he is HM The King of Spain, Duke of Bedford
-now if his eldest is son, the title continues with the thrown, if a daughter then Bedford would separate.

2nd option

Maria is eldest:
-when Leonor is queen, Maria is Princess of Asturius
-Juan is Lord Howland/Marquis Tavistoke/Duke of Bedford as only male heirs can inherit. The title leaves the crown

If they had no sons, but Maria and Letizia, then the duchy would pass to the next male in the Russell clan. That would be Leonor's father in law's younger brother James and his line. James has 2 sons, Leonor's example husband's 1st cousins.

Be similar to when Victoria became queen of the UK but she couldn't inherit the German titles. Her Uncle Ernest inherited Hannover.

She wouldn't be the only British Duchess with a foreign title, the Duchess of Wellington is Princess Antonia of Prussia. Difference Antonia is not a heiress, courtesy tittle.

What if Leonor, Princess of Asturias, married HRH Prince Gabriel of Belgium ?

Under the Spanish Royal Decree of 1987, the husband of the Princess of Asturias shares all the titles and styles of his wife. That may of course change at any time with another royal decree, but, as of today, Gabriel would be titled Prince of Asturias and styled HRH in Spain. His children with Leonor would in turn be Infantes/Infantas of Spain and HRHs in Spain under the same 1987 royal decree by King Juan Carlos.

On the other hand, Gabriel would still be a Prince of Belgium and an HRH in Belgium under King Baudouin's royal decree of 1991, and his children with Leonor would also be Princes/Princesses of Belgium and HRHs in Belgium under King Philippe's royal decree of 2015 (provided that they were born while Philippe were still King of the Belgians). Under Belgian naming rules, the title of Prince of Belgium precedes other (non-dynastic) titles which the person inherits by birth, so, all things being equal, Gabriel and Leonor's children in Belgian documents would be named

"HRH (the) Prince/Princess [xxx] , Prince/Princess of Belgium, Infante/Infanta of Spain".

(SAR le/la Prince/Princesse [xxx], Prince/Princesse de Belgique, Infant/Infante d'Espagne ?)

However, in Spain, their name and style would normally be

"S. A. R Don/Doña [xxx] de Bélgica y Borbón (?), Infante/Infanta de España"

while Gabriel would be

"S. A. R. Don Gabriel (de Bélgica ?), Príncipe de Asturias, de Gerona etc. "

Would the title "Prince/Princess of Belgium" also appear on Gabriel's or his children's Spanish documents ? I don't think so, but what do you think ?

PS: My conjecture about the use of "de Bélgica" is in analogy to the previous use of "de Austria" or "de Grecia" in Spain, rather than using actual family names like "Habsburgo-Lorena" (Habsburg-Lorraine). That is a complication in the next generation, as Gabriel and Leonor's heir would inherit his/her father's last name, which could not be "de Bélgica". Would they use Saxe-Coburg and Gotha as the name of the new dynasty, or Bourbon Saxe-Coburg and Gotha as was done in Portugal with the Braganzas ?

Last edited:

Under the Spanish Royal Decree of 1987, the husband of the Princess of Asturias shares all the titles and styles of his wife. That may of course change at any time with another royal decree, but, as of today, Gabriel would be titled Prince of Asturias and styled HRH in Spain. His children with Leonor would in turn be Infantes/Infantas of Spain and HRHs in Spain under the same 1987 royal decree by King Juan Carlos.

On the other hand, Gabriel would still be a Prince of Belgium and an HRH in Belgium under King Baudouin's royal decree of 1991, and his children with Leonor would also be Princes/Princesses of Belgium and HRHs in Belgium under King Philippe's royal decree of 2015 (provided that they were born while Philippe were still King of the Belgians). Under Belgian naming rules, the title of Prince of Belgium precedes other (non-dynastic) titles which the person inherits by birth, so, all things being equal, Gabriel and Leonor's children in Belgian documents would be named

"HRH (the) Prince/Princess [xxx] , Prince/Princess of Belgium, Infante/Infanta of Spain".

(SAR le/la Prince/Princesse [xxx], Prince/Princesse de Belgique, Infant/Infante d'Espagne ?)

while Gabriel would be

Would the title "Prince/Princess of Belgium" also appear on Gabriel's or his children's Spanish documents ? I don't think so, but what do you think ?

PS: My conjecture about the use of "de Bélgica" is in analogy to the previous use of "de Austria" or "de Grecia" in Spain, rather than using actual family names like "Habsburgo-Lorena" (Habsburg-Lorraine). That is a complication in the next generation, as Gabriel and Leonor's heir would inherit his/her father's last name, which could not be "de Bélgica". Would they use Saxe-Coburg and Gotha as the name of the new dynasty, or Bourbon Saxe-Coburg and Gotha as was done in Portugal with the Braganzas ?

I think if it would come to such a marriage Gabriel would not ask fot the consent of his father and the belgian government or it would be a consent with limatation's so that his children would not be in line to the belgian Throne and also not be Prince/Princess of Belgium. As for the surname of their children in Spain it is possible there to change the order so that possible children could be de Bórbon y Belgica. this was done by the present Duke of Alba and some of his siblings for example.

while Gabriel would be

Both in Spain and Belgium, the name and title of a person is regulated by the rules of the country of which he or she is a citizen. Acquisition of Spanish nationality would require Gabriel to renounce his Belgian nationality.

Nationality.

Therefore, the titles and names of Gabriel and his children would depend on Spanish law, even in Belgian documents.

As for the surname of their children in Spain it is possible there to change the order so that possible children could be de Bórbon y Belgica. this was done by the present Duke of Alba and some of his siblings for example.

The order can now be decided by the parents within three days of the birth.

The family names of Leonor and Gabriel's children would be, I suppose, de Borbón y de Sajonia-Coburgo. The next generation inherits only the first-place surname, which dictates that Borbón must come first. As the Belgian royal decree of November 12, 2015 provided that "of Belgium" cannot be used as the Belgian royal family's legal surname and recovered their Saxe-Coburg titles to provide a surname, Gabriel technically has the surname "of Saxe-Coburg".

Last edited:
This just interests me so much.

We all know that the husband of an Infanta (with a Dukedom) will be called HE Don ****, Duke of ***** socially and their children are recognized as members of the Spanish Royal Family and are accorded the rank and style of a grandee by courtesy.

But what if HRH Infanta Sofia of Spain marries a future King like HRH Prince Christian of Denmark?

This just interests me so much.

We all know that the husband of an Infanta (with a Dukedom) will be called HE Don ****, Duke of ***** socially and their children are recognized as members of the Spanish Royal Family and are accorded the rank and style of a grandee by courtesy.

But what if HRH Infanta Sofia of Spain marries a future King like HRH Prince Christian of Denmark?

Most likely Doña Sofía has to accept Danish nationality and by doing so, she will cease to be a successor. Most likely, out of courtesy, the Spanish monarch will allow her to remain an Infanta de España:

Sofía de Todos los Santos,
Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsessen,
Kronprinsesse af Denmark, Grevinde af Monpezat
født De Borbón y Ortiz, Infanta af Spanien.

Most likely Doña Sofía has to accept Danish nationality and by doing so, she will cease to be a successor. Most likely, out of courtesy, the Spanish monarch will allow her to remain an Infanta de España:

Oh I was also thinking the same thing. Thank you.

How about if we suppose this, Infanta Sofia marrying a royal from a non-reigning royal family like HI&RH Archduke Maximilian of Austria, Prince of Tuscany, son of Archduke Sigismund, Grand Duke of Tuscany?

Oh I was also thinking the same thing. Thank you.

How about if we suppose this, Infanta Sofia marrying a royal from a non-reigning royal family like HI&RH Archduke Maximilian of Austria, Prince of Tuscany, son of Archduke Sigismund, Grand Duke of Tuscany?

It depends on Maximilian becoming a citizen of Spain. Imagine that Don Felipe will create Leonor Duquesa de San Jaime:

Su Alteza Real Doña Leonor de Borbón y Ortiz, Infanta de España, Duquesa de San Jaime
El Excélentísimo Señor Don Maximiliano de Habsburgo y Edmonstone, Duque de San Jaime

Last edited:
It depends on Maximilian becoming a citizen of Spain. Imagine that Don Felipe will create Leonor Duquesa de San Jaime:

Su Alteza Real Doña Leonor de Borbón y Ortiz, Infanta de España, Duquesa de San Jaime
El Excélentísimo Señor Don Maximiliano de Habsburgo y Edmonstone, Duque de San Jaime

So you mean to say, the Infanta is not able to use her husband's higher style of HI&RH, title in pretense Archduchess and his substantive title Princess of Tuscany?

We are still talking about Infanta Sofia, not Leonor.

Last edited:
So you mean to say, the Infanta is not able to use her husband's higher style of HI&RH, title in pretense Archduchess and his substantive title Princess of Tuscany?

We are still talking about Infanta Sofia, not Leonor.

Modern Spain does not use titles of pretence for Spanish citizens. It is Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez Bordiú. It is not SAR el Duque de Anjou. It was Don Carlos Ugo de Borbón-Parma y Borbón-Busset. It was not SAR el Duque de Parma.

Even the late Duque de Calabria, best friend of King Juan Carlos, was not mentioned with his title in the Royal Decree: https://www.boe.es/eli/es/rd/1994/12/16/2412 But in some way the Casa Real so now and then mentioned the title Duque de Calabria.

Last edited:
Modern Spain does not use titles of pretence for Spanish citizens. It is Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez Bordiú. It is not SAR el Duque de Anjou. It was Don Carlos Ugo de Borbón-Parma y Borbón-Busset. It was not SAR el Duque de Parma.

With the notable exception of the Duque de Calabria.

Oh yes this make sense. I forgot about this but thank you bringing this up.

Yes, with the special exception of the Duke of Calabria and we already know why, of course.

I have just re-read Title II (Articles 56-65) of the Spanish constitution and I couldn't find the requirement that the King must be a Spanish citizen. Citizenship is required, however, to exercise the regency in the event of minority or incapacity of the King. Furthermore, the King's guardian (when the King is a minor) must also be a Spaniard by birth.

Is there perhaps some other article elsewhere in the Spanish constitution where it is stated that the King must be a Spanish citizen ?

On the other hand, I am not familiar with Spanish citizenship laws. Could Sofía for example become a Danish citizen and still retain her Spanish citizenship ?

Even the late Duque de Calabria, best friend of King Juan Carlos, was not mentioned with his title in the Royal Decree: https://www.boe.es/eli/es/rd/1994/12/16/2412 But in some way the Casa Real so now and then mentioned the title Duque de Calabria.

Nevertheless, in the Royal Decree you quoted, don Carlos is referred to as "Su Alteza Real" ("His Royal Highness"). Would that be equivalent to recognizing a title of pretense (or pretence in British spelling) ?

Last edited:
I have just re-read Title II (Articles 56-65) of the Spanish constitution and I couldn't find the requirement that the King must be a Spanish citizen. Citizenship is required, however, to exercise the regency in the event of minority or incapacity of the King. Furthermore, the King's guardian (when the King is a minor) must also be a Spaniard by birth.

Is there perhaps some other article elsewhere in the Spanish constitution where it is stated that the King must be a Spanish citizen ?

I cannot find one, either.

On the other hand, I am not familiar with Spanish citizenship laws. Could Sofía for example become a Danish citizen and still retain her Spanish citizenship ?

Yes, Spanish citizens who become foreign nationals may retain their Spanish citizenship through a declaration within three years.

Nevertheless, in the Royal Decree you quoted, don Carlos is referred to as "Su Alteza Real" ("His Royal Highness"). Would that be equivalent to recognizing a title of pretense (or pretence in British spelling) ?

My understanding is that the Spanish titles of pretense became recognized under the transitional provisions of the royal decree of 1987, so that Don Carlos's Spanish title of Royal Highness was not a title of pretense but a legal title as of 1994.

I believe that Princess Leonor's future husband will be the title of Prince of Asturias and when Leonor becomes Queen he will be the title of Prince Consort.

As for infanta Sofia's future husband, I believe king Felipe VI will give him the title of Duke, as happened to the husbands of Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina.

I believe that Princess Leonor's future husband will be the title of Prince of Asturias and when Leonor becomes Queen he will be the title of Prince Consort.

As for infanta Sofia's future husband, I believe king Felipe VI will give him the title of Duke, as happened to the husbands of Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina.

Tatiana Maria all laid out how it works for the future husband of Leonor.

In the case of Sofía's husband and I don't think he will be given a ducal title; Jaime and Iñaki weren't created dukes either! Instead, it is very likely that Sofía herself will be created a Duchess; her husband will then be able to use that title as well as long as he is either her husband or widower.

Note that for example Jaime is no longer the Duke of Lugo, because he and Elena divorced. Had he been the one who had been given the title, he would still be the duke of Lugo while Elena would have ceased to be the duchess of Lugo - but it is the other way around.

Yes, those are the rules today under the royal decree 1368/1987. The husband of the Princess of Asturias shares all the titles of his wife (so he is also Prince of Asturias) and also holds the style of Royal Highness . The husband of a reigning Queen has the title of Prince (note that the royal decree doesn't say Prince Consort or Prince of Spain, just plain Prince) and the style of Royal Highness. That is a break with Spanish tradition where, previously, the husband of a reigning Queen was titled King.

Those rules are not set in stone though. They can be changed at any time by a simple royal decree countersigned by the prime minister. Only the titles of King of Spain and Prince of Asturias (for the holder and the heir to the Crown respectively) are laid out in the constitution and, therefore, enjoy special protection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom