The Princess of Girona Foundation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Such a wonderful job with her speech. Her parents were bursting with pride and deserve it for preparing her so well. She seems to enjoy it also. Her English was American English with no accent

I just wonder if there was something more prepared to be said by the Princess but after the ovation there was no need to speak anymore. Great speech (I don't speak neither Spanish nor Catalan, but it was seen she is sure of what dhe says). The only thing that I don't like is the fact that the most importsnt words about Catalunya in her heart is the same thing she said about Asturias. No matter how truly these words are (or no matter if they are true, but here they are really necessary) it looks a little bit too much like a scheme.
Seeing Barcelona giving a standing ovation to the future queen is what I want Barcelona to be - royalist, loyal, Spanish.

Such a wonderful job with her speech. Her parents were bursting with pride and deserve it for preparing her so well. She seems to enjoy it also. Her English was American English with no accent

Her two month-long summer camps in the States surely helped in that respect.

She is a remarkable, poised young girl...only 14. Very impressive ! Her English is flawless. Felipe and Letizia must have been dazed with pride to see Leonor receive a standing ovation.

ETA: If she decides being queen is not for her, Leo should get a contract to do hair commercials. That child has the most amazing head of gorgeous hair!

Last edited:
Both Leonor and Sofia are doing an incredible job. Their poise and demeanor at formal events are impeccable for a young royal.

Leonor did a wonderful speech once again. The moment people started applauding and standing, that brought me to tears. I like the fact that she spoke in many languages. I hope I can hear her speaking in Chinese in the future.

Kudos to their parents for their royal upbringing!

Last edited:
I agree. It seems unlikely that Infanta Sofía will ever be a full-time working member, as Infantas Elena and Cristina had jobs even while their father was the reigning king.

To me that begs the question of how long Sofia will be given such a prominent place at these events that are meant to be about Leonor. I was surprised that, except for the speech itself, there was so little differentiation between the two girls. At this age I kind of understand the decision to bring her, but she needs to start noticeably taking second place to Leonor when they’re in public. When they go to these events they’re not Leonor and Sofia, they’re The Princess of Asturias and her sister.

That being said, I think Sofia will eventually have no trouble finding her own path in life. I thought Leonor did a good job with the speech but in the videos I watched of the unrehearsed parts of the events Sofia won the day. She carries herself very well and seems to have a natural, relaxed poise that’s impressive in someone so young.

I think that Sofia is clearly taking 2nd place, for now they divide the team into monarch/heiress and consort/working member. Sofia is always at her mothers side, Leonor with her father, the important branch of the SRF.
I think Sofia will more and more fade into the background for casareal when Leonor finishes school, she is 2 schoolyears older than her sister and will go a very different path from there. By then the focus will be totally on Leonor and Sofia will maybe start her fight with the paparazzi as she does not have the protection or the respect the future Queen will have. She'll have the paparazzi on her doorstep 24/7 when she leaves Zarzuela, something her sister will never have to endure.

To me that begs the question of how long Sofia will be given such a prominent place at these events that are meant to be about Leonor. I was surprised that, except for the speech itself, there was so little differentiation between the two girls. At this age I kind of understand the decision to bring her, but she needs to start noticeably taking second place to Leonor when they’re in public. When they go to these events they’re not Leonor and Sofia, they’re The Princess of Asturias and her sister.

That being said, I think Sofia will eventually have no trouble finding her own path in life. I thought Leonor did a good job with the speech but in the videos I watched of the unrehearsed parts of the events Sofia won the day. She carries herself very well and seems to have a natural, relaxed poise that’s impressive in someone so young.

I don't think there's a need to compare Leonor and Sofia in terms of who's more lively and more natural. Obviously, both have their own good points.

In response to 'there was so little differentiation between the two girls', I'm sorry but I beg to differ because in all the latest occasions that both girls were present, the distinction of their roles and responsibilities is evident. Leonor always stands beside his father and Sofia with his mother and Leonor gets to have more exposure than her.

If you are asking for Sofia to drift away from the spotlight and let Leonor shine, it might take some time. After all, they are still young, Leonor is not yet 18 and his father's reign is still 5 years old.

I believe Sofia will make an impact on her own in time.

To point, there's even no clear distinction per se in other royal families like the Dutch RF. The Princess of Orange who's much older than the Princess of Asturias doesn't share the same spotlight as her as of the moment.

I bet everything is still yet to unfold in the coming years. Let's just wait for everything to come in its right place.

I don't think there's a need to compare Leonor and Sofia in terms of who's more lively and more natural. Obviously, both have their own good points.

In response to 'there was so little differentiation between the two girls', I'm sorry but I beg to differ because in all the latest occasions that both girls were present, the distinction of their roles and responsibilities is evident. Leonor always stands beside his father and Sofia with his mother and Leonor gets to have more exposure than her.

If you are asking for Sofia to drift away from the spotlight and let Leonor shine, it might take some time. After all, they are still young, Leonor is not yet 18 and his father's reign is still 5 years old.

To point, there's even no clear distinction per se in other royal families like the Dutch RF. The Princess of Orange who's much older than the Princess of Asturias doesn't share the same spotlight as her as of the moment.

I bet everything is still yet to unfold in the coming years. Let's just wait for everything to come in its right place.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with pointing out an area where Sofia seems to really shine. Yes, each girl surely has their own strengths, and I think Sofia’s natural and self possessed demeanour in public is one of hers.

I don’t think Sofia should drift away from the public at all at least at this stage but I do feel there needs to be a more obvious focus on Leonor , not so much to let her shine but to emphasize what her unique role will be. Especially at high profile events specifically designed to focus on her such as the Princess of Asturias/Girona awards. I couldn’t agree more that Sofia has the ability to make an impact in her own time, but by definition it will need to be an impact very different than that of her sister.

In the Dutch royal family, siblings of monarchs are not sidelined to the same degree as in the Spanish. Prince Constantijn remains not only a member of the Royal Family but also Royal House, and continues to carry out a small number of official functions.

It is not Infanta Sofía who will determine the extent to which she is in the spotlight, but the King and, in the future, Queen Leonor. She is in the same position as Infantas Elena and Cristina, and the King has made clear that their roles are severely limited.

some great catalan being spoken by leonor! she clearly has good tutors. we haven't heard her speaking in vasque or galician, but surely she is learning those too?

As a matter of fact, the official order of precedence in Spain , which must be observed in all public events , puts Leonor above infanta Sofía and below only her parents, the King and the Queen.So it is not surprising at all that Leonor and Sofía are seated or placed differently at any such event.

In the Dutch royal family, siblings of monarchs are not sidelined to the same degree as in the Spanish. Prince Constantijn remains not only a member of the Royal Family but also Royal House, and continues to carry out a small number of official functions.

It is not Infanta Sofía who will determine the extent to which she is in the spotlight, but the King and, in the future, Queen Leonor. She is in the same position as Infantas Elena and Cristina, and the King has made clear that their roles are severely limited.

There are three different issues in play here:

• Membership of the Royal Family.
  • Order of precedence.
  • Royal titles and styles.
Membership of the Royal Family is regulated by the royal decree 2917/1981 and is restricted to the King, the King's spouse, the King's parents, the King's direct descendants , and the Heir to the Crown (whether he or she descends from the King or not). Note that "the King" here has been interpreted as meaning the current King only. That is why Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina ceased to be members of the Royal Family when their brother ascended the throne.

Order of precedence, on the other hand, is regulated by the royal decrees 2099/1983 and 470/2014 and is currently as follows:

1. HM The King
  2. HM The Queen
  3. HRH The Princess of Asturias
  4. HRH Infanta Sofía
  5. HM King Juan Carlos
  6. HM Queen Sofía
  7. Other infantes/infantas who do not descend from King Felipe VI
Although the royal decrees do not explicitly mention any relative precedence between the infantes/infantas in (7), it is customary to place HRH Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo ahead of her sister, HRH Infanta Cristina, and of their aunt, HRH Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Hernani and Soria.

Finally, royal tiyles and styles are regulated by the royal decree 1368/1987, which, at least to me, is somewhat ambiguous in its language. It says that:

Los hijos del Rey que no tengan la condición de Príncipe o Princesa de Asturias y los hijos de este Príncipe o Princesa serán Infantes de España y recibirán el tratamiento de Alteza Real
There is no doubt that Sofia was an Infanta when she was born and remained so prior to her father's accession as she was back then a daughter of the Prince of Asturias. There is no doubt either that she is an Infanta now as she is a daughter of the King who does not hold the condition (or dignity) of Princess of Asturias. The ambiguity lies with the titles of Felipe VI's sisters as a literal reading of the article above might suggest that the title of Infante expires once the title holder ceases to be one of 'the King's children" (interpreting again "The King" as "the current King").

That does not seem to be the case though as Elena and Cristina continue to be referred to as HRHs and Infantas, including, most notably in Cristina's case, in the royal decree 470/2015, where King Felipe VI stripped her of the right to use the title of Duchess of Palma de Mallorca, suggesting that the dignity of Infante by first-degree descendancy from a King, once acquired, is held for life.

In summary then, both Sofía, Elena and Cristina appear to hold the same titular dignity (Infanta of Spain) and the same style (Royal Highness). However, I would say that, as of today, Infanta Sofia clearly outranks her aunts (the King's sisters). Not only is she an official member of the Royal Family, whereas her aunts are not, but also she is accorded higher precedence in public and official acts than either Infanta Elena or Infanta Cristina. Once Leonor becomes Queen, then Sofia will be essentially in the same position as Elena and Cristina in the sense that she will lose her place in the RF and will be outranked by Leonor's children (if she has any).

Last edited:
Nice that Leonor and Sofia joined in with the awards - I had hoped that Leonor would at least make an appearance at the awards some time soon, so to get Sofia as well is a bonus for me! Leonor is looking more and more like a mini Letizia.

Nice that Leonor and Sofia joined in with the awards - I had hoped that Leonor would at least make an appearance at the awards some time soon, so to get Sofia as well is a bonus for me! Leonor is looking more and more like a mini Letizia.

They both attended the awards ceremony in November last year and Leonor gave a speech at the time.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/s...-princess-of-girona-foundation-awards-132998/

But it is great to see the whole family involved in this virtual event. :flowers:

Leonor is becoming quite a confident speaker. Its great Sofia is there in support.

Leonor is becoming quite a confident speaker. Its great Sofia is there in support.

I couldn't agree more and both of them are wonderful young ladies.Parents must be so proud of them.

I think they say there is no award ceremony this year. We will not see Leonor and Sofía again for several months. What a pity.

Will the royal house release photos for Princess Leonor's 15th birthday?

Did they disclose a reason for no award ceremony?

I think they say there is no award ceremony this year. We will not see Leonor and Sofía again for several months. What a pity.
I heard in the video (the call the royal family made with the winners) that the ceremony will take place when it is possible. It means it's not cancelled but postponed right? So is it postponed to next year? But next year are the next edition of awards.

Back
Top Bottom