The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think from now on there will be events that take precedence over school, there are things that Leonor will have to learn that cannot be taught in school.
I'd expect her to be fluent in Catalan given the development in Spain. Speaking their language will be a link to the people that cannot be denied.

And it's not difficult to achieve, given that many royal children are fluent in multiple languages it is a no brainer to have a private tutor/nanny/governess who will speak catalan/english etc with the girls from a very early stage. It's part of their role and would be careless not to pursue.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Commoner

Yes and she has pursued it. And excelled at it by all accounts. So well done to her (y)

Old 11-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The speech of HRH The Princess of Asturias & Girona

Old 11-04-2019, 06:06 PM
Commoner

What did Princess Leonor say that warranted the standing ovation? Was that when she spoke Catalan? What a poised young woman!
Old 11-04-2019, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJudith View Post
How come the girls are not at school today? Is it some kind of holiday in Spain?
No, it's not. The girls seem to be 'out of school' for these days to attend these meetings. It has of course been criticized in Spain - at least on social media.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Leonor did another impeccable job - it must have been quite a tiring day for both the girls, given the fact they had to change and get ready for the awards ceremony in the evening, but they carried it out in a very dignified and adult-like manner. Leonor speaking in Catalan and Arabic was also very impressive (any reasons why she spoke in Arabic?) - one can tell that both she and her sister Sofia are going to be fantastic assets to the SRF when they'll eventually have to become full-time working members of the family.
Infanta Sofía is not expected to be a full-time working member of the royal family for life. Just like Elena and Cristina no longer carry out royal duties since their brother ascended the throne. So, it would be best to make sure that she starts with a 'different career' early on that she can somewhat combine with a limited amount of royal duties as long as her parents are king and queen. As soon as her sister becomes queen she is officially 'out'.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:38 AM
Gentry

Princess Leonor & Infanta Sofia are showing that truly any method of introduction to royal life works. I remember how many were upset that both the Spain & Dutch royal families were overly protective of their children, saying that they might not adjust that well once the time come for them to take on some/more duties. Leonoar has truly showed that it is not the case. She has done so well each time she has had to make a public appareance (same for Sofia). I really applaud her parents upbringing, they truly knows their children best and prepared them accurately. So proud to see that she is on a multilingual path (and with good reason!!) I wished Prince William could do the same effort. After all, Canada is part of the Commonwealth so speaking French should really be the bare minimum...
Old 11-05-2019, 12:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

article in english
https://people.com/royals/14-year-ol...ainst-her-dad/
Old 11-05-2019, 02:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

The King himself speaks Catalan as well, and has held the same speeches in Catalan during his long tenure as Princípe de Girona. This did not bring him one centimeter closer to the Catalan separatists. So, any effort of Doña Leonor is nice, but her own father's example shows it will probably have little effect.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The King himself speaks Catalan as well, and has held the same speeches in Catalan during his long tenure as Princípe de Girona. This did not bring him one centimeter closer to the Catalan separatists. So, any effort of Doña Leonor is nice, but her own father's example shows it will probably have little effect.
I think it is a requirement of Leonor to speak Catalan fluently, it's not a gesture of goodwill. Even when in the end it won't make a difference. I think that Leonor, like her father, will have some knowledge in Galego or Basque as well at some point.

I remember when Cristina got together with Inaki and lived with him in Barcelona, she started learning Catalan what made her very popular in Catalonia. I don't know to what extend she mastered the language and those were of course different times, but at the time it certainly helped the image of the royal house.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Infanta Sofía is not expected to be a full-time working member of the royal family for life. Just like Elena and Cristina no longer carry out royal duties since their brother ascended the throne. So, it would be best to make sure that she starts with a 'different career' early on that she can somewhat combine with a limited amount of royal duties as long as her parents are king and queen. As soon as her sister becomes queen she is officially 'out'.
I agree. It seems unlikely that Infanta Sofía will ever be a full-time working member, as Infantas Elena and Cristina had jobs even while their father was the reigning king.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Nice to see Leonor and Sofia again today. They seem to be more at ease the more they participate in these sorts of engagements.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-05-2019, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Such a wonderful job with her speech. Her parents were bursting with pride and deserve it for preparing her so well. She seems to enjoy it also. Her English was American English with no accent
Old 11-05-2019, 07:21 PM
Aristocracy

I just wonder if there was something more prepared to be said by the Princess but after the ovation there was no need to speak anymore. Great speech (I don't speak neither Spanish nor Catalan, but it was seen she is sure of what dhe says). The only thing that I don't like is the fact that the most importsnt words about Catalunya in her heart is the same thing she said about Asturias. No matter how truly these words are (or no matter if they are true, but here they are really necessary) it looks a little bit too much like a scheme.
Seeing Barcelona giving a standing ovation to the future queen is what I want Barcelona to be - royalist, loyal, Spanish.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Such a wonderful job with her speech. Her parents were bursting with pride and deserve it for preparing her so well. She seems to enjoy it also. Her English was American English with no accent
Her two month-long summer camps in the States surely helped in that respect.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

She is a remarkable, poised young girl...only 14. Very impressive ! Her English is flawless. Felipe and Letizia must have been dazed with pride to see Leonor receive a standing ovation.

ETA: If she decides being queen is not for her, Leo should get a contract to do hair commercials. That child has the most amazing head of gorgeous hair!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 11-05-2019, 11:34 PM
Serene Highness

Both Leonor and Sofia are doing an incredible job. Their poise and demeanor at formal events are impeccable for a young royal.

Leonor did a wonderful speech once again. The moment people started applauding and standing, that brought me to tears. I like the fact that she spoke in many languages. I hope I can hear her speaking in Chinese in the future.

Kudos to their parents for their royal upbringing!
Old 11-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I agree. It seems unlikely that Infanta Sofía will ever be a full-time working member, as Infantas Elena and Cristina had jobs even while their father was the reigning king.
To me that begs the question of how long Sofia will be given such a prominent place at these events that are meant to be about Leonor. I was surprised that, except for the speech itself, there was so little differentiation between the two girls. At this age I kind of understand the decision to bring her, but she needs to start noticeably taking second place to Leonor when they’re in public. When they go to these events they’re not Leonor and Sofia, they’re The Princess of Asturias and her sister.

That being said, I think Sofia will eventually have no trouble finding her own path in life. I thought Leonor did a good job with the speech but in the videos I watched of the unrehearsed parts of the events Sofia won the day. She carries herself very well and seems to have a natural, relaxed poise that’s impressive in someone so young.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think that Sofia is clearly taking 2nd place, for now they divide the team into monarch/heiress and consort/working member. Sofia is always at her mothers side, Leonor with her father, the important branch of the SRF.
I think Sofia will more and more fade into the background for casareal when Leonor finishes school, she is 2 schoolyears older than her sister and will go a very different path from there. By then the focus will be totally on Leonor and Sofia will maybe start her fight with the paparazzi as she does not have the protection or the respect the future Queen will have. She'll have the paparazzi on her doorstep 24/7 when she leaves Zarzuela, something her sister will never have to endure.