The Princess of Asturias and The Infanta Sofía's News Thread, Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What in the Holy Teapot happened?!?

They have both all of a sudden grown up!
They were still children only a few months ago.

Someone cloned Elisabeth of Belgium when we weren't looking. Or Leonor decided she needed a different twin. ;)

No, seriously, Leonor has been on her own and out of not just the public eye but Spain for most of a year. It's not so surprising she would finally grow up a bit, in appearance and seemingly emotionally.

Sofia is pretty much the same still, just as tall as she ever was.

Last edited:
Great appearance. I selfishly hope we get a few more events before school starts again.

With my own kids, that was a major year in their life in growing up, from 16 to 17, especially my daughter. And Sofia has always been very tall- people confuse height with maturity. (I certainly hope no one’s actually insinuating commentary about their bodies - that would be perverted. They are minors.)

Great appearance. I selfishly hope we get a few more events before school starts again.

With my own kids, that was a major year in their life in growing up, from 16 to 17, especially my daughter. And Sofia has always been very tall- people confuse height with maturity. (I certainly hope no one’s actually insinuating commentary about their bodies - that would be perverted. They are minors.)
It was a great appearance, and Leonor looked so grown up :flowers: Well, soon it's August, and we'll see them quite a bit in Mallorca (they often have a photosession, an activity -museum visit, a social related visit or a Regatta visit-, and out&about in Mallorca like dinners and such).

Sofia is certainly tall, and at 15 she'll grow a bit taller too. At this event, she went with flats, while Leonor went with high-heels (looked like sandals), and both were at the same height. I wonder if she is around 175 cm (5ft 9)? Letizia is known to be 168 (5ft 6), right? Leonor seems a tiny bit taller than her mother, so I'd say 170 (5ft 7).

I hope Leonor can enjoy her last year, it will go quickly enough. She'll likely be finished with school next May and then the preparations start for the 18th birthday in October 2023 what will mark a significant change.

I don’t think it’s a stupid question.

I think most security for high profile kids is kept purposefully vague. But I’ve been similarly curious.

One of my kids considered applying for a UWC placement, and housing in the provided dorm was required. Now, I have no idea if a royal or someone of similar status follows the same rules. I know when Chelsea Clinton went to Stanford, her secret service officers had an office/room in her freshman year residence. I don’t know what happened after that (most Stanford students live in small co-ops after freshman year), but I assume it was similar.

I would guess that Leonor has a panic button on her person at all times, and had to attend security training prior to leaving for school last year.

She's not even 17 yet. Isn't this more than a little intrusive? :ermm: Especially on the part of the media.

I don’t think it’s a stupid question.

I think most security for high profile kids is kept purposefully vague. But I’ve been similarly curious.

One of my kids considered applying for a UWC placement, and housing in the provided dorm was required. Now, I have no idea if a royal or someone of similar status follows the same rules. I know when Chelsea Clinton went to Stanford, her secret service officers had an office/room in her freshman year residence. I don’t know what happened after that (most Stanford students live in small co-ops after freshman year), but I assume it was similar.

I would guess that Leonor has a panic button on her person at all times, and had to attend security training prior to leaving for school last year.
Regarding Chelsea Clinton, one of my former colleague's daughter lived in her dorm freshman year. Reportedlty Chelsea had to remain in the dorm for her four years as it had been modified to meet her unique security needs.

For some reason I doubt it's her boyfriend. I imagine her parents wouldn't allow her to date till she is 21.

In this news they say that Princess Leonor's boyfriend is Brazilian.

It says that he is a dual Brazilian/American national and a fellow student at Atlantic College.

If It is true. It’s normal for her to have a boyfriend in High School, but it is unlikely to turn into a serious relationship.

Nonetheless, the news says the boy was invited to spend the Easter holiday with the Royal Family at the Zarzuela Palace, which is unexpected.

Last edited:
In this news they say that Princess Leonor's boyfriend is Brazilian.

The article states that he has both Brazilian and 'North-American' (US I assume) nationality and that he is a classmate at UWC.

Edit: I now see that Mbruno clarified the above as well. The pictures is apparently taken at her grandmother's birthday. As queen Sophia's birthday is on November 2, I assume it must be her maternal grandmother's birthday which might explain why they were able to take a picture as this grandmother's house is probably less secluded.

Last edited:
For some reason I doubt it's her boyfriend. I imagine her parents wouldn't allow her to date till she is 21.
Leonor's parents have no say in regards to her private life from the day she turns 18 when she's legally an adult.

This may be the silliest thing I’ve read today. This isn’t 1860 and she isn’t property of her parents.

I doubt that is truly the case considering that her parents know that Leonor like most teens will probably have a date at some time before the age of 21.

https://gettotext.com/princess-leonor-military-training-after-college/

From October 2023, Leonor will follow her father's footsteps and will train with the army, air force and fnally do the navy part on board of Juan Sebastian Elcano, a training ship vessel. After that college, what would be a blueprint of Felipe's way.

No surprise here. I hope she adjusts well to military life though. The fact that her father "loved" his days in the Army (as the article mentions) does not mean that Leonor will too. They are different people.

Last edited:
Most likely the Princess of Orange (like her Dutch, Danish and British "predecessors") will be the obvious exception because it is not really seen as useful: the armed forces are formed by skilled professionals and the (future) royal head-of-state will never ever be able to fire any shot without ministerial accountability.

I understand where the Princess of Asturias and the Duchess of Brabant come from but in fact this is symbolical as no one can ever imagine Doña Leonor or Princess Elisabeth in any active combat.

Its tradition and to be expected and the Princess of Asturias will follow in her fathers footsteps.

Its tradition and to be expected and the Princess of Asturias will follow in her fathers footsteps.

Exactly, the Spanish press already takes it for granted that the Princess of Asturias will begin her military training next year. She will probably do her military training for 1 year and then go to university.
She will follow what was the training of Felipe VI.

Which tradition and which Princess of Asturias has joined the armed forces?

The King of Spain is the supreme head of the armed forces, so Leonor must have a military background.

The King has zero comma zero operational authority over the armed forces but okay, good luck to the Princess to learn military strategy, weaponry, excercition and all this with the knowledge she will never, ever be able to even move her eyelid without the Government first have been in a conclave over it.

The King has zero comma zero operational authority over the armed forces but okay, good luck to the Princess to learn military strategy, weaponry, excercition and all this with the knowledge she will never, ever be able to even move her eyelid without the Government first have been in a conclave over it.

It is a role that the King of Spain has, and at other levels such as events that he has to attend, it is important to have military training and some knowledge in this area.

Uh, her grandfather had to stop a coup.

The authority is important, and for that you need the training. (And the knowledge that comes with it.)

And good luck to Leonor indeed that she doesn't have the same events as JC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom