The Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía, News Part 1: June 2014 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substantive_title

- The title is only officially borne by one person at a time
- The title is ceremonial and confers no political, territorial or civic prerogative as such

I guess it only means the title is particularly given to the heir? (and probably they just copied from wiki as I saw the exactly same sentence appears:D)

Leonor became Princess of Asturias when her father became King, before her mother was addressed as Princess of Asturias as wife of the Prince of Asturias.
Here has been some discussion going on in a different thread, titles of future husbands, when Leonor gets married and her father is still King, her husband will become Prince of Asturias.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substantive_title

- The title is only officially borne by one person at a time
- The title is ceremonial and confers no political, territorial or civic prerogative as such

I guess it only means the title is particularly given to the heir? (and probably they just copied from wiki as I saw the exactly same sentence appears:D)

Thanks! I wonder who the wiki definition was written by, as the article does not cite a source to support its definition, which has inconsistencies (for example, the claim that British peerages are substantive titles but substantive titles confers no political or civic prerogatives is contradictory, as in actuality British peerages do confer political prerogatives).

Leonor became Princess of Asturias when her father became King, before her mother was addressed as Princess of Asturias as wife of the Prince of Asturias.
Here has been some discussion going on in a different thread, titles of future husbands, when Leonor gets married and her father is still King, her husband will become Prince of Asturias.

:confused: :confused: Thanks for the info but I thought we're discussing what "substantive title" in the Hello? article means rather than the title of PoA's consort?

Thanks! I wonder who the wiki definition was written by, as the article does not cite a source to support its definition, which has inconsistencies (for example, the claim that British peerages are substantive titles but substantive titles confers no political or civic prerogatives is contradictory, as in actuality British peerages do confer political prerogatives).

That's why wiki isn't considered as a reliable source for academic use:D

tomorrow is leonor's birthday and elmundo has an article on her:

https://www.elmundo.es/loc/casa-real/2018/10/30/5bd7057be5fdea07138b45d8.html

they mention that:

Letizia meets Leonor's tutor once a month in Zarzuela and insists that they force her daughter to speak in public in class to take hold of it. leonor is apparently shy.

she gets good marks at school.

the family usually go hiking in Sierra de Madrid and usually spend a night incognito in a rural hotel.

for her birthday, she usually celebrates with a snack in the New Zarzuela Pavilion, which invites its classmates and some children of friends of their parents. this year cousin Irene Urdangarin may attend. Letizia only sends out invitations to the parties at the last moment, sometimes the same day, to avoid leakages to the press so other mothers of the guests have to hurry to buy their gifts.

:previous: Thank you carlota. Leonor sounds like a nice young lady - she has always seemed shyer and more reserved than her sister Sofia, who has always been the more extroverted of the two sisters for me.
I hope she has a lovely birthday.

:previous: Interesting, it seems that Leonor and Sofia's time at the summer camp last year was a success if they're returning this year too.

:previous: Interesting, it seems that Leonor and Sofia's time at the summer camp last year was a success if they're returning this year too.

Probably their parents see it as an opportunity for the girls to improve their English skills. Having an English-speaking governess would be more effective in my opinion, but maybe that suggestion wouldn't sit well with the Spaniards.

Last edited:
"English speaking governess" sounds a bit like we're talking about 100 years ago. ;)

Apart from practicing English I imagine a big draw would be the chance to spend some extended time with kids their age from a different culture who don't care that they're princesses of Spain all that much. And doing all the fun camp activities that are why regular kids go as well.

Probably their parents see it as an opportunity for the girls to improve their English skills. Having an English-speaking governess would be more effective in my opinion, but maybe that suggestion wouldn't sit well with the Spaniards.

I am pretty sure they have an english speaking governess at home since the day they were born. Leonor and Sofia will have grown up as native english speakers, it has been mentioned in the media a long time ago. They are also reported to speak english with their grandmother.

I couldn't think of a better (or more appropriate) word. Besides, monarchy is an archaic institution that belongs 100 years ago anyway , so I don't mind sounding old-fashioned when talking about royals.

So the republic is also archaic because it has been around for over 100 years.

Sorry but I could not resist. ?

Leonor and Sofia resembles each other so much. Sometimes it is very difficult for me to recognise who is Leonor and who is Sofia.

They are so lovely young girls. Felipe and Letizia can be very proud of them.

Leonor has blue eyes, Sofia brown. And Leonor's teeth look more childish than her younger sister's. The first thing is seen usually with good zoomed photos, but the second is better seen as they almost always smile widely.
Leonor and Sofia resembles each other so much. Sometimes it is very difficult for me to recognise who is Leonor and who is Sofia.

They are so lovely young girls. Felipe and Letizia can be very proud of them.

Princess Leonor, among the rising stars of 2020
The British newspaper "The Times" highlights that the Heiress "grew up" at the Princess of Girona awards in Catalonia
https://www.abc.es/estilo/gente/abc...rellas-ascenso-2020-202001030258_noticia.html

Here is the original article:

I am so proud of the Princess being the youngest and only royal on the list. 2019 wasn't just an ordinary year for her. It made me more connected to her as a modern royal. She really is someone to look forward to and someone to look up to.

I am so excited on the advocacies she will be highlighting and supporting in the upcoming years. Such a charismatic and intelligent young royal.

Last edited:
:previous: I hope the pupil in question gets well soon. There have been quite a few Coronavirus cases in Spain; but I'm sure the SRF are well-prepared and have the best medical advice.

Thanks from the Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía to those who are helping on the front line and caring for others, in the face of the # COVID19 pandemic

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Leonor and Sofia are looking more alike now! Lovely that they took part in the video call.

Leonor and Sofia are doing very well in this video.
A nice way to thank those who are helping on the front line.

Great to see the girls supporting the workers. Nice video.

Thanks from the Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía to those who are helping on the front line and caring for others, in the face of the # COVID19 pandemic

Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom