The Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía, News Part 1: June 2014 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I agree also weren't they wonderful,Felipe and Letizia must be so proud.

Remarkable and beautiful young Ladies.

That was very well done by both girls; it's lovely to see them participating in this way.

it was needed - F&L got a lot of criticism for not getting their daughters involved in supporting the country in what is being a really trying time for the spain.

The video was looong overdue.

We have seen the Cambridge kids clap for Healthcare workers on multiple occasions, the Dutch triple A girls, the Belgian royal kids dropped off pastries to nursing homes...etc.

Given that Spain has one of the highest cases of Coronavirus and the staggering death toll- I was looking to see more social involvement from then than other countries. The only thing I have seen is Infanta Elena doing a virtual concert. Leonor and Sofia could have been videotaped clapping for Healthcare workers, reading stories for children, or saying thanks as they finally did in the video 2 days ago.

To be honest Lenore and Sophia are like collectors trophies kept under glass where the realities of life do not touch them. It makes them somewhat stilted and robotic.

In a country as hard hit as Spain, I would have loved and really the entire SRF to visibly reach out to their people just as much as I expected the Princess of Asturias and Princess Sophia would reach out to the children of Spain and the world, acknowledging that these are scary times.

The opportunity to empathise and let them know that even princesses get scared and reminding then that is easier when you share with your family, even if it's only by phone Skype or zoom.

Much as Britain's two little princesses made a radio broadcast to their peers. during WWII.

I liked Leonor and Sofia's message. They're always so polite. I believe that as long as the pandemic lasts, they should still appear a few more times.

I liked Leonor and Sofia's message. They're always so polite. I believe that as long as the pandemic lasts, they should still appear a few more times.

Each country reacts differently and in their own way and time. A young person's speech is a lot more affective than people clapping weekly. People helping in food kitchens wonderful. Others giving money to people in real need to pay their bills brilliant if possible. I don't believe we should compare one country to another or their people's contributions. I am sure many things are done which we know nothing about and not our business. JMO

Sofia is a pretty cool customer. There is no visible age difference between the girls.

You people can't make a single positive comment even if there are thousands dying, can you?

Good lord :whistling:

I agree and think it's unfair to critique - these are extraordinary times. Leonor and Sofia are also still minors, so it also seems particularly harsh to criticise them IMO. As long as the royals are using their platforms to do something or at least raise awareness, that's all that matters IMO.

I have no negatives about Lenore and Sophia. I merely wish they appeared comfortable and at ease in public.

The only spontaneous behaviour I have ever seen was the great Easter debacle where they got caught in the middle between their mother and grandmother.

Felipe vI and Queen Letizia have worked tirelessly; That has only been done by them, no other king. The royal house has a special communication policy regarding its princesses. But when Leonor and Sofia appear, it has to be with an important message, with a deep and powerful message. It is not enough to go out one day to applaud. Leonor and Sofia do something much more important: they speak to the nation. And really, they are the best. No other prince or princess has the level to do that. Leonor and Sofia yes. But what I don't understand is that two girls are criticized, from my point of view absurd criticism, and as if they were adults. They are girls and they do it perfectly. They are adorable and you will find very few people in Spain who do not find them beautiful, intelligent and divine. Two angels with a precious message. Others just applaud. They get involved. Leonor will be a very well prepared queen and Sofia will be a fundamental support. Spain loves its two princesses: Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia

I have no negatives about Lenore and Sophia. I merely wish they appeared comfortable and at ease in public.

The only spontaneous behaviour I have ever seen was the great Easter debacle where they got caught in the middle between their mother and grandmother.

They are princesses, not daughters of Hollywood actors, nor models of magazine covers. Our royal house is very serious and takes everything seriously. Work is work for adults and children, because it is the only way that they are then prepared. Letizia and Felipe were not united by sports, nor money, nor ... They were united by love and a taste for things well done. That way they will educate their daughters. Without artifice. They are two princesses, not two movie stars. And they are the best because seeing other princes and princesses, right now I only see children playing at being famous. Nothing else. Even the Belgian heiress who continues studying when at her age she should be at the University at least ... but not a message to her country ???? And I really like the Belgian royal family because they closely resemble the concept of our Spanish royal family, but in this crisis it is pure marketing ... and they teach us their confinement in their great and wonderful palace and garden when everyone is confined in a few meters ... What I mean is that who could have done more, because Elizabeth is older, has not done it. And the smallest of the heirs and heir, yes it has.

You people can't make a single positive comment even if there are thousands dying, can you?

Good lord :whistling:

I have always said that Leonor and Sofía, especially Leonor, is too perfect for criticism to come soon. Human condition. I was sure, but that does not bother me, it makes me feel that only what is worth much is criticized. The insignificant or bother to criticize it.: flores:

Not every child is comfortable in front of crowds. Being royal doesn't automatically make you ready for the camera. Having hundreds of cameras and thousands of people watching them is certainly intimidating for most people. They have both shown far more comfort in the past few years as they have gotten older.

What kind of 'spontaneous behavior' do you want to see? They are not little children who are going to be running around. They are old enough to know what is expected of them when we see them at official photo calls and such. They do show smiles and more natural teen/adolescent sides in their down time photos like when we see photos snagged on summer or such.

They have made this video. And they also read a passage from Don Quioxte. Honestly while the volume of appearances by the Cambridges may be more, the Quality of the Spanish princesses certainly is more.

Wow; it's bad enough when female royals are constantly put into competition with one another but now we're comparing and contrasting and criticising CHILDREN?

Please stop.

Yes, the only time you saw them behaving spontantly was the only time they were not behaving LOL. From this to the Marie Chantal mantra of "that is their true face" there is only one small step, I keep waiting :D

I think the girls and especially Leonor have showed enough that they are more than ready and confortable with their public role, much more IMO than most of their age's counterpars who "behave more naturally" (translation: funny messy behaviour, of course). I can't think of many other royal kids that would have recorded a ditect message, eye to camera, with the self-confidence and strenght that L&S have done. Of course, they have opted for other more child-like approach like cute conversations, videos washing hands or clapping. Nothing wrong with that, and of course nothing wrong with the SRH going for a more mature content with L&S while they are clearly ready and up for that.

I think it gets harder and harder to mantain that old wish of some people in this forum which used to constantly imply that, as soon as they started their public roles, we all could witness how the many carences the royal education F&L gave to their daughters would show up. Alas, that is not happening, but I guess some will carry on with that argument to the very end. Sadly, from what I have learned about life, I tend to share janelarn's view that a girl who does things the right way and plus of all is also beautiful, always will have that constant scrutiny to highlight the only thing she might do wrong in a sea of good. Happens in every level, let's be honest.

Last edited:
I liked the simple, thankful message from the girls.

It's interesting to hear their voices. They are young and sounded so.
It would be odd if they seemed experienced at speaking about a devastating pandemic.
Everyone in Spain possibly knows someone directly effected by the virus. It is terrible that people have to cope with the fear of it.

I think at some point it will become easier for Leonor and more difficult for Sofia, Leonor has her defined role, groomed by (from a monarchists' view) the perfect father and the perfect grandmother with their character traits calm and dutiful, I doubt she will be attacked relentlessly like her mother.
Sofia is a different matter, she her path will lead her from royal life to private life while having to find a proper job. She'll have to deal with the spare's life being torn between two worlds.

[...] Spain loves its two princesses: Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia

That is quite a generalization in a country with such a strong republican, separatist, secessionist and anarchist sentiment. I see lots of Spanish media outlets, the comments sections under it, the posts on Facebook, Instagram and news from WhatsApp groups.

There absolutely is hostility and negativity towards the royals. Sadly the two young, totally innocent Infantas are not excluded to that. Sadly enough. So "Spain loves"... hmmmm... Really?

That is quite a generalization in a country with such a strong republican, separatist, secessionist and anarchist sentiment. I see lots of Spanish media outlets, the comments sections under it, the posts on Facebook, Instagram and news from WhatsApp groups.

There absolutely is hostility and negativity towards the royals. Sadly the two young, totally innocent Infantas are not excluded to that. Sadly enough. So "Spain loves"... hmmmm... Really?

It depends on where you will read these comments. The Spanish monarchy still has a lot of support, we saw this when the Kings and daughters visited Asturias, or National Day. Even at the opening of the courts the Royal Family was widely applauded.
It's not social media comments that are a real sample of the popularity of an institution like this.

They are two young princess true, but that is not all they are The Princess of Astauris is the heir to the Spanish throne and that means that they, just like their parents, have to form some sort of relatioship with the people of Spain.

The address they gave was stiff and a little stilted. Had the girls been at ease on that environment they could have smiled at the way their country has pulled together. They could have even wept in empathy, but they were stuck reading a teleprompter. And no! I am not finding fault with the children but I an very disappointed at their lack of experience.

Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret were hardly old hands at being filmed while sending a radio message to their Citizens. I would say it came from role playing in school level plays.

I would love for Leonore and Sophia to introduce themselves to their Citizens. To make the same speech to the country using a teleprompter but in a more natural and comfortable setting in their home.

They have everything going for them, they are educated and articulate, they look like they are best friends and are among the most attractive young Royals out there. Their country needs positive role models and their parents are doing their bit. But allowing the Princesses to do there's is important.

These are unique and terrible times. The youthful generousity of love from the Princesses and maybe a heartfelt vow to pray for their people and their country provides that essential but elusive feeling of Hope. That is in their gift.

So, a smile. And then a little bit of weaping? Thankfully for all us watching it, there seem to have been a little more brains and professionalism on whoever planned that short video... :whistling:

Felipe vI and Queen Letizia have worked tirelessly; That has only been done by them, no other king. The royal house has a special communication policy regarding its princesses. But when Leonor and Sofia appear, it has to be with an important message, with a deep and powerful message. It is not enough to go out one day to applaud. Leonor and Sofia do something much more important: they speak to the nation. And really, they are the best. No other prince or princess has the level to do that. Leonor and Sofia yes. But what I don't understand is that two girls are criticized, from my point of view absurd criticism, and as if they were adults. They are girls and they do it perfectly. They are adorable and you will find very few people in Spain who do not find them beautiful, intelligent and divine. Two angels with a precious message. Others just applaud. They get involved. Leonor will be a very well prepared queen and Sofia will be a fundamental support. Spain loves its two princesses: Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia
I'm afraid your own personal preference clouds your judgment.

What is the basis for your claim that "Felipe vI and Queen Letizia have worked tirelessly; That has only been done by them, no other king." Can you share the number of hours spend by Felipe and Letizia AND all other kings and queens, so we can compare?

In addition: others don't 'just applaud'... The adult heirs surely do way more (as is to be expected). The other children in a comparable situation, also do more than 'just clap': the children of the king of Belgium visited care homes and the Dutch princesses are involved in spontaneous conversations with care workers and others via video calls.

So, I don't think it can be claimed that the Spanish royal house does it BETTER than other royal houses. Felipe and Letizia do lots of video calls and have pictures taken for each one of them and organized a very staged speech for their daughters. This fits with how they are raising their daughters: appearing 'perfect' in every way. Other royal houses chose a different approach that might be considered to connect more closely with the people and is less orchestrated as that is what is valued by their parents (and probably country men).

I'd say that all countries with a monarchy are currently happy to have one as it is one of their uniting forces in these trying times.

I'm afraid your own personal preference clouds your judgment.

Felipe and Letizia do lots of video calls and have pictures taken for each one of them and organized a very staged speech for their daughters. This fits with how they are raising their daughters: appearing 'perfect' in every way. Other royal houses chose a different approach that might be considered to connect more closely with the people and is less orchestrated as that is what is valued by their parents (and probably country men).

Which is not a judgement based on personal preferences at all :lol::lol::lol::lol:

How many other adult royals have wept whilst addressing their nations? Many have made heartfelt speeches but remained professional and held it together.

If they had cried surely there would be others on here criticising their parents for making them do it or not training them to be more dignified. Or saying came across as staged, attention seeking or something else. I personally thought it was fine and the later reading of Don Quixote was natural and comfortable.

Leonor especially has shown poise and promise in her role as Princess of Asturias and I'm sure she will continue to do. Could they perhaps do more? Of course but the situation is different in each country and with each family, especially with them both being minors I'm not surprised there hasn't been more.

Both girls were lovely, clean and polished. Well done, and they are just kids / early teens.
On the other side, what is deeply shocking me is that 2 young girls, had to bear alone the whole SRF representation. I would expect the King to at least deliver a message, the Queen to actively support medical efforts, even remotely, but nothing. QEII at 94 years delivered a unique message, similar to war Era and touched her whole country. But the Spanish RF, nothing. King and Queen vanished completely, and let the whole communication responsibility to 2 young girls. Well done girls, you were excellent.

Which is not a judgement based on personal preferences at all :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I agree that I have a personal preference (which surely shines through). But I'm not making claims that the royal family of country X is doing better in all ways than all other countries.

I have for example no clue which monarch works hardest. It seems they all work hard (probably the younger generation doing a bit more than the older generation - but they have the advantage of having adult heirs) and try to do the best they can with the limitations they have based on their countries policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom