The Prince and Princess of Asturias at Tennis Competitions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rafael Nadal of Spain is congratulated by Crown Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia of Spain following his victory over Roger Federer of Switzerland in their men's final for the Wimbledon Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis Club

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Last edited:
Well done Rafa Nadal! Shed a tear when he won I was just so thrilled.
He was so humble. Thanking the Prince and Princess for coming to see his game he said he was very honoured. I was honoured to watch him win:flowers:

I was so glad to see Nadal win, it was getting a little monotonous watching Federer win every year!

I loved the fact that Nadal immediately went over to thank Felipe and Letizia, they seemed so pleased that he had done that. It was a very sweet gesture on his part.

footage of Rafa going to the Royal Box and interview thanking the royals for coming
BBC SPORT | Tennis | Nadal wins epic Wimbledon final

actually before Nadal even climbed into the player box he was walking blow the royal box and waved up to Felipe and Letizia and thanked them then as weel you can see it near the start of the BBC Footage

News Reports
Nadal breaks his Wimbledon jinx by overcoming Federer | Mail Online

Wow thanks PrincessofEurope that was great to see - I didnt stay up to watch (starts at something like 2am here) not being a huge fan of the sport but I certainly follow the scores... anyway I digress, it was great to see such pleasure (and to see him thank his prince and princess) thats made my day :)

What a sports year for Spain! I wonder what the Olympics will bring for them?

I think the royal box is reserved for the British royalty.

I think the Royal Box is for all royalty and invited guests.

Stellad

As Stellad has told you, it is for royalty and invited guests and as we have seen, the Princes have sat in the front, first row of the Royal Box. If Bjorn Borg and Martina Navratilova could sit there all the time, then why not the royals from other nations?

Well done Rafa Nadal! Shed a tear when he won I was just so thrilled.
He was so humble. Thanking the Prince and Princess for coming to see his game he said he was very honoured. I was honoured to watch him win:flowers:

Totally agree with you. It is indeed nice to see that Rafa valued the Princes' presence as much as he does for his parents'.

wonder what she is reading in this picture?
its not the official programme but maybe they translated some pages for them!!!

I'm sure they could read well in English and they don't need translated pages all the time. It does look like a paper containing official information about the game but I can't be sure, though.

Last edited:
that was one of the greatest matches ever. i wanted federer to catch up but was glad nadal won in the end. he deserved it so much as he went through an enormous improvement. i think nadal appreciated the presence of the princes (or the srf in general) as there was no-one available to support him in the french open final.

as for the commentators, it's embarrassing that they don't have a clue about foreign royalty, who they are etc.

The Associated Press: Nadal dethrones Federer in five-set Wimbledon epic

as for the commentators, it's embarrassing that they don't have a clue about foreign royalty, who they are etc.

well, yes and no, IMO. they're sports commentators, not politics or the like.
that said, the knowledge wouldnt hurt either

The Associated Press: Nadal dethrones Federer in five-set Wimbledon epic

In Spain there have been also protests, yesterday the journalist of the television that bought the rights to emit Wimbledon protest several times because there were no images of the Princes. Ironically when Nadal won he said " After 8 hours we have seen the Princes ". The Princes were heading the Spanish delegation, were accompanied of political authorities, and it is an ugly detail, that a country could not see their representatives supporting a sportsmen. In the sports event the cameras dedicate a few seconds to the authorities and the box.

In Spain there have been also protests, yesterday the journalist of the television that bought the rights to emit Wimbledon protest several times because there were no images of the Princes. Ironically when Nadal won he said " After 8 hours we have seen the Princes ". The Princes were heading the Spanish delegation, were accompanied of political authorities, and it is an ugly detail, that a country could not see their representatives supporting a sportsmen. In the sports event the cameras dedicate a few seconds to the authorities and the box.

I am sure now every spaniard who followed the game knows who Gwen Stefanie and Gavin Rossdale are :eek:

Yes yesterday was almost an insult. I followed the match more or less and the first time I saw the Princes was after the match and then the commentators only spoke of "dignitaries" until Nadal mentioned them in his speech. Even the Duke of Kent, the president of the All England Club, who headed the royal box, was only shown once or twice for one or two seconds.

I said before during the football tournament when the commentators kept on wondering who the princes actually were (they did recognize the Kings though) and finally said "the tall guy must be the King's son" that this is embarrassing from a country that is home to one of the most famous monarchies in the world not to respect other countries' royals by bringing along some basic knowledge about who they are.

I have to say that was pretty exciting seeing them on tv here in the states regardless! Up until now I only get their news and pictures by coming here!
It is a pity they didn't recognize them.
One question though - this obviously isn't Rafa's first Wimbledon final, what made them decide to come? Do you think they just had a break in their schedule? What would have happened if the match had gone another day do you think they would have returned to watch the end?

The presence of the Royal Family in sports events is habitual. The members of the Royal Family already accompanied Nadal other times in Roland Garros or on the Spanish team in the Davis Cup.

It's disappointing not to see the princes early on, i remember when princess diana was watching they always show her on camera. This is a great time for sports in spain with Nadal and the victory of the soccer team, i wonder who's going to win the prince of asturias' award for sport.

nbc sports.com Video Player

Link to NBC coverage of Nadal climbing to meet Felipe and Letizia and the "insightful" McEnroe comment, "I believe that is royalty from Spain that was invited here to be in the royal box today." The video comes after the commercial and the Crown couple appear towards the end.

Last edited:
Most of the world - including the European - don't give a hoot about royalties. Not surprising at all that they didn't mention them or if they did - had no idea of who they were. It does point out the importance of royalties to be visible and involved in very meaningful endeavors if they want to have any clout other than being born royal. An exampel, everyone knows who Nelson Mandela is.

Last edited:
From envoy2400
One question though - this obviously isn't Rafa's first Wimbledon final, what made them decide to come? Do you think they just had a break in their schedule? What would have happened if the match had gone another day do you think they would have returned to watch the end?

Yes, it was Rafa's 3rd straight Wimbledon final against Federer. I'm so happy that he finally got a win. Last year I heard from the news that Infanta Cristina was there, but didn't get any press coverage in London. In 2006, the final was at the same weekend of Pope Benedict visiting Valencia with the whole SRF in Valencia receiving the Pope.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was socked by the press coverage for the princes,I didn't even now they were their until Rafa mention,if the cameraman focus less gwen stefani and her uasband:rolleyes::eek: then maybe we could see them.

Back
Top Bottom