The Infanta Sofia First Holy Communion: May 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My cousin and his wife's son is having his on May 21st (he's 8) and he is wearing a navy suit with a white shirt and silver bow tie.

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

The ceremony will probably take place at the church of Our Lady of Aravaca,where that of her older sister took place with limited family members as before.

According to the newspaper La Razón, the ceremony will be on May 17

As with Leonor, Sofia's First Communion will be at the local church and with school uniform. Plain and focused on the private rites to be received. As it's supposed to be.

According to the same newspaper, Infanta Sofia had her first confession before Holy Week.

In the case of Princess Leonor, there were images of King Felipe and Queen Letizia arriving at the school for the event. Not this time.

As with Leonor, Sofia's First Communion will be at the local church and with school uniform. Plain and focused on the private rites to be received. As it's supposed to be.

As quoted from fisheaters.com, "[FONT=arial, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif]On a mundane, sociological level, a child's "First Communion" is a rite of passage, an acknowledgement that he has[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif] reached the age of reason and is now liable for many of the penalties involved in ecclesiastical censure; it is, in other words, a marker that the child is growing up... Gifts are given to the new communicant (typically Rosaries, prayer books, Bibles, etc.), and a party typically follows the Mass during which he first receives the Sacrament. These mundane aspects of a child's "First Communion" should never, ever overshadow the greater reality! In some parts of the world, a child's First Communion is turning into a lavish, extravagant, keeping-up-with-the-Joneses bat-mitzvah, with little girls, wearing dresses that cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars, carried about by limousine to parties with expensive ice sculptures and la-di-da waiters. It is disgusting! [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif]While a child's First Communion should be memorable and very beautiful, it should, above all, be holy and with all priorities in place."[/FONT]

Hopefully we'll get some nice photos of King Juan Carlos with his granddaughters.

Hopefully we'll get some nice photos of King Juan Carlos with his granddaughters.

We'll see if he shows up. In Leonor's case, he might have been there because he is her godfather, too.

I've never fully understood why in First Communion group portraits, the children have "prayer hands"; palms pressed together and held upwards just below the chin.

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

We'll see if he shows up. In Leonor's case, he might have been there because he is her godfather, too.

Thats very true,hopefully he'll turn up and we'll have a happier set of photos compared to last weeks royal gathering.

:previous: I see Sofia's godfather, Prince Konstantin of Bulgaria, is with the family. That is lovely, but I wonder where the school' rule of 6 relatives per kid was left :D :D :D

Another picture (poor king though :lol:): https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DABShhwWsAEFhW-.jpg

And a video with the family posing for the photographers, with a quite rare talkative King JC :lol::whistling::cool:
https://twitter.com/fpaniaguaocr/status/864782815258390529

:wub::wub::wub::wub: http://www.hola.com/imagenes/realez...mera-comunion/0-449-392/comunionssofia3-a.jpg
http://www.abc.es/media/espana/2017/05/17/familia-real-krxE--620x349@abc.jpg

Other video here: http://www.telecinco.es/informativo...imera-Comunion-reyes-felipe_2_2372505056.html

Last edited:
Really nice to see Prince Konstantin of Bulgaria and Letizia's grandmother present,looks like they got a lovely day weather wise for Sofia's 1st Holy Communion Day.

It is really nice to see Sofia's godfather present but where is her godmother (don't remember who it is now) ?

:previous: Her godmother is her grandmother Paloma Rocasolano.

An Ard RI, same in most Catholic Churches here in America although a few parishes have changed to modern dress. I prefer all in white including the boys. At one point the church in Philadelphia insisted that everyone dress EXACTLY alike. My cousin gave nuns the money and they ordered the dress, vail, prayer book, rosary, etc. All alike. What the "high-ups" wants for a few years back then. I will admit they looked wonderful and no one there tried to outdo another in more expensive outfit. Even at this Holy event, some parents go a bit overboard.

White colour of the dress symbolizes the purity of the child's heart (after his/her first confession and forgiving sins) in order to receive the Christ worthily.

Sofia is a gorgeous child, as is her big sister Leonor. They both have Letizia's incredible thick straight hair.

And I think they will inherit their father's height.;)

King Juan Carlos looked to be very convivial today ,great to see him with Leonor and Sofia.

Traditions are different and changing in Spain ,its the opposite here in Ireland all white and veils for the girls!

I'd say that in many American parishes you would still see all of the girls in white dresses and veils, though I was surprised at how extravagant some of the dresses, hairstyles and veils were for some girls. My daughter wore a white dress with a tea length hem, white tights and shoes. We skipped an actual veil, but my sister-in-law made her a wreath of tiny white silk flowers with white ribbons that trailed down to her shoulders.

I find it odd to wear a school uniform for one's First Communion. Is that common in Spain ?

Back
Top Bottom