The Confirmation of HRH The Princess of Asturias :May 28th ,2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
The Confirmation of HRH The Princess of Asturias :May 28th ,2021

156px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Leonor%2C_Princess_of_Asturias.svg.png

Please follow the TRF Rules when posting

Last edited:
The article says that in their school, students celebrate their Confirmation in 1st of baccalaureate (next school year for Leonor) when the princess will be studying abroad. They speculate that she could celebrate her Confirmation on her own this year or return to Spain next year to celebrate with her school.

Princess of Asturias is not yet known when her confirmation will be held, although Vanitatis can assure you that she will receive the sacrament, as her father has already done.
As with his first communion, his parents want Leonor to celebrate his confirmation with the rest of his schoolmates, the Santa Maria de los Rosales. However, there is a problem. Sources close to the school tell Vanitatis that this sacrament is received by first-grade students.
https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...nor-princesa-confirmacion-sacramento_3069276/

I am not familiar with the Spanish school system, but would "primero de bachillerato" be equivalent to 11th grade (or junior year) in North America?

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the Spanish school system, but would "primero de bachillerato" be equivalent to 10th grade (or sophomore year) in North America?

Primero de bachiller is equivalent to 11th grade (or Junior year).Right now Princess Leonor is in her fourth year of ESO (10th grade in US)

It depends on whether you have made the confirmation before First Communion, although it is a private matter and they will not tell us anything. Anyway, it would be an intimate act that you can perform at any time in the Zarzuela chapel. There are no big celebrations in Spain for a Confirmation.
All my younger relatives have received their confirmation before First Communion, but it seems that it depends on the dioceses of each Spanish city.
Anyway, the confirmation is not an act that is celebrated (there are no parties or anything like that) in any way for a normal Catholic in Spain

It depends on whether you have made the confirmation before First Communion, although it is a private matter and they will not tell us anything. Anyway, it would be an intimate act that you can perform at any time in the Zarzuela chapel. There are no big celebrations in Spain for a Confirmation.
All my younger relatives have received their confirmation before First Communion, but it seems that it depends on the dioceses of each Spanish city.

That is weird. I received First Communion when I was 9, but I was confirmed only when I was 15. In both cases, I did it with my classmates so they were all more or less the same age . I actually never met anyone who was confirmed before First Communion, except a friend of mine from a Lebanese family whose church followed the Maronite rite.

Same here, communion with 9 and I think confirmation with 14. But confirmation was very low key, no celebrations with relatives, so nothing compared to the communion event.
For protestants it is different (see Christian of Denmark), their big festivity is the confirmation.

Protestants receive first Comunion during confirmation, after declaring to remain faithful disciples of Christ by their own free will (during Christening it was their parents' decision)

Last edited:
That is weird. I received First Communion when I was 9, but I was confirmed only when I was 15. In both cases, I did it with my classmates so they were all more or less the same age . I actually never met anyone who was confirmed before First Communion, except a friend of mine from a Lebanese family whose church followed the Maronite rite.

My eldest nephew is 17 years old and made his confirmation days before his First Communion, and my son this year the same.
When my nephew had his Confirmation before his First Communion, we were very surprised, but now it is a general rule in many Dioceses.
It depends on each diocese, but in general it does not matter because it is an intimate act that can be celebrated at any time and there are no special celebrations.
It's not even mandatory, at least not in my youth. I made my First Communion at the age of 8 with the school, and then I was not confirmed. It is true that it can be done in early adolescence, but some dioceses have returned to the primitive state of the order of the sacraments: baptism, confirmation and First Communion.
There are even groups of older people who, in their day, were not confirmed and want to do it older. In my family I have several cases of Confirmations after the age of 30, and we just went to dinner (an excuse hahahaha to go out).
If the diocese or the school of Eleanor has not adapted to this new norm, I hope that we do not have photos or the press overwhelm her, because it is a very different act from how it occurs in other religions; I hope that the press is not waiting at the doors of the church or anything like that, because they would force the family to pose, which would be controversial, or simply not pose as usual, and the media would also look for the problem . It is always "no win"

Hopefully we'll get a few family photos from the ceremony.

I hope not, because as I have explained, Confirmation for the Catholic Church is an intimate act with no special celebrations, no guests, or anything like that.
At least that is how it should be.
The media only want to "compare" with the Confirmations of Ingrid or Christian, when they know perfectly well that no one celebrates a Confirmation, at least in a very "festive" way.
Perhaps a little reminder for the girl who is Confirmed, which can be a small cross or just NOTHING. No great parties. It depends on the family, but it will always be celebrated, or has always been the case, within the closest family environment.
In fact, my acquaintances who did their Confirmation when we were teenagers, it was without any celebration at all.

I'm hope the Spanish Royal Family will at least publish a photo of the Leonor with her parents on the day and at least have a slice of cake to mark the occasion (in private ofcourse).

I hope not, because as I have explained, Confirmation for the Catholic Church is an intimate act with no special celebrations, no guests, or anything like that.
The media only want to "compare" with the Confirmations of Ingrid or Christian, when they know perfectly well that no one celebrates a Confirmation, at least in a very "festive" way.
Perhaps a little reminder for the girl who is Confirmed, which can be a small cross or just NOTHING. No great parties. It depends on the family, but it will always be celebrated, or has always been the case, within the closest family environment.
In fact, my acquaintances who did their Confirmation when we were teenagers, it was without any celebration at all.

But if it so intimate then why announce it at all. Better to keep it secret or to have the Confirmation at the Chapel of La Zarzuela then it would be really intimate.

But if it so intimate then why announce it at all. Better to keep it secret or to have the Confirmation at the Chapel of La Zarzuela then it would be really intimate.

There is no confirmation that this information is true. Vanitatis has copied the information from Jaime Peñafiel, and neither the Royal House nor any serious media or press agency has confirmed the information.

I think we never saw Felipe's Confirmation, did we? I remember seeing pictures of him and his sisters during their First Communion, but not during their Confirmations...

That's not the case, as far as I can recall, I was confirmed when I was round 11 or so, and it was quite a big thing. Lots of other children were confirmed at teh same time. Girls wore a special dress boys wore suits, and there were parties and presents.

Protestants receive first Comunion during confirmation, after declaring to remain faithful disciples of Christ by their own free will (during Christening it was their parents' decision)

This isn't true of all Protestant denominations. My own church let anyone who wanted to partake in Communion do so and did not require you to stand up and profess to be a Christian before the whole congregation or transfer your church membership prior to taking Communion. Now, my mom did make a point of not letting us (my brothers and I) take Communion until after we were baptized - our denomination didn't practice infant baptism but instead only did it after you went through some classes with the minister - similar to Confirmation in other denominations, I suppose. But, just because our mom wouldn't let us take Communion until after we were baptized didn't mean that other parents did the same with their own kids. And no one ever asked me if I was baptized when I visited other churches as an adult and partook in Communion. :flowers:

Last edited:
There is no confirmation that this information is true. Vanitatis has copied the information from Jaime Peñafiel, and neither the Royal House nor any serious media or press agency has confirmed the information.

In fact Vanitatis a few days ago was saying that in Leonor's school confirmations take place Next school year, when Leonor Will be studying abroad.

I guess we'll know next Friday if it's true. There Will be press waiting outside the church.

Casa Real has not announced anything; the press is simply pressing and they know that Princess Leanor's class group is doing Confirmation that day and the press is pressing for a photo or for a "scandal". Nothing more. It is an intimate event and it is not announced, but there are many students and this may have been announced on the school's website. Royal House has not said anything

I think we never saw Felipe's Confirmation, did we? I remember seeing pictures of him and his sisters during their First Communion, but not during their Confirmations...

No, in fact almost no one has photos of the day of their Confirmation. Maybe at this time that everyone has mobiles, maybe, but I have not seen many photos of the Confirmation day of anyone

Maybe at this time that everyone has mobiles, maybe, but I have not seen many photos of the Confirmation day of anyone
Queen Sofia called the photographers for everything: for birthdays, for holidays, for EVERYTHING. Felipe seems to have had a very stressed childhood due to the whole issue of the photos and now he does not want his family, his daughters, to go through the same

That's not the case, as far as I can recall, I was confirmed when I was round 11 or so, and it was quite a big thing. Lots of other children were confirmed at teh same time. Girls wore a special dress boys wore suits, and there were parties and presents.

I assure you that this is not the case in Spain.: eek:: flores:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - but it was certainly the case in Ireland, a very Catholic country when I was a child.

The magazine ¡HOLA! also advances with the date of May 28 for the confirmation of Princess Leonor.
She will not wear the school uniform, she will wear a formal suit and will only be accompanied by the Kings and the Infanta Sofía.
https://www.hola.com/realeza/espana/20210519302987/princesa-leonor-confirmacion

They have probably taken it from the school's website, which will announce the rules for that day and who can be invited.
That doesn't change anything. Confirmation is a very private act.
I hope the king and queen are not forced to pose, by this pressure.

I adore seeing my princesses, but this time I prefer and hope they don't bother her

OK - but it was certainly the case in Ireland, a very Catholic country when I was a child.

Spain is not a very "very catholic" country, in fact I see that in other countries they are really much stricter with their majority religions
Going to church in everyday clothes or with pants is absolutely normal and I see many people who are horrified here, when the queen wears pants or something casual to go to mass.
Nobody dresses special, to go to church except a funeral, which is usually respected black or weddings because then there is a party
We are quite condescending with religious celebrations and not harsh at all.
A great Baptism party, if you will, a great First Communion party and we threw in the money for a mega wedding party.
They go to church in simple clothes, and in fact most Catholics only go to Mass on those occasions, even if they are religious.
We are a very loose country in terms of religious norms

Last edited by a moderator:
but we are talking about Confrimation celebrations. Certainly when i was a child, confirmation was a big thing and kids were dressed up for it and had some kind of celebration.

but we are talking about Confrimation celebrations. Certainly when i was a child, confirmation was a big thing and kids were dressed up for it and had some kind of celebration.

Yes its the same here and still is, though I will point out not on the same level as First Holy Communions.
Only my parents, siblings, grandparents and sponsor attended mine.

Its a rite of passage in a Christians life and should be celebrated .

Yes its the same here and still is, though I will point out not on the same level as First Holy Communions.
Only my parents, siblings, grandparents and sponsor attended mine.

Its a rite of passage in a Christians life and should be celebrated .

I assure you that this is not the case in Spain, and I have already commented that it is returning to the primitive order of the Catholic Church, in terms of sacraments: Baptism, Confirmation and First Communion ... and Confirmation takes place shortly before the First Communion (a few days) because most were not confirmed later, and also not celebrated, since First Communion is celebrated.
First Communion is the culmination of the first cycle in Catholic life, therefore it is celebrated.
So it is in Spain

So families in Spain do not celebrate the childs Confirmation, no photos/family meal and just to church and after the Ceremony home?

So families in Spain do not celebrate the childs Confirmation, no photos/family meal and just to church and after the Ceremony home?

Exactly. There is no party. It is the decision of each family in their privacy, whether or not to do something special, such as going out to lunch or dinner, but that is something common in our way of life: having dinner or lunch in restaurants whenever possible.
All my younger relatives have already been confirmed before First Communion, so they didn't have time for another party other than First Communion, but if I tell you about when I was young, I assure you that no one around me has a photo of that day. Maybe from the catechetical groups ...
The pink-yellow press is putting a lot of pressure on the Spanish royal family with this issue, and I am reading that the act will be in the same church where Leonor made her First Communion.
It's an open place, with a patio, and I don't think they can avoid the photo. Given that, we do not know what the Spanish Royal House will decide.
The press here is always looking for a reason for controversy, to sell covers and it does not matter what the queen and the king wanted for the day of the Confirmation of Eleanor. They will turn everything into a circus if they can't get a photo and if they get it, too.
We have to wait and see how the Royal House of Spain acts.

Back
Top Bottom