The Confirmation of HRH The Princess of Asturias :May 28th ,2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Sofia did not attend the confirmation because of COVID-19 restrictions.
Leonor and Sofia have not appeared publicly with their cousins because there have been no events where they all went.
But I believe that Leonor and Sofia are still close to their cousins and are in private, despite family differences.
I agree.Just because we don't see pictures, doesn't mean that they don't hang out.

Here was when they went to a Musical with their cousins:
https://www.bekia.es/realeza/fotos/...ia-irene-paloma-rocasolano-cristina-sicilias/

Here is at King Juan Carlos' birthday:
https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...-80-foto-familiar-ausencias-cristina_1501978/

They are indeed a close-knit nuclear family, but, unlike what happened when Juan Carlos was king and before the Iñaki affair, the girls are now estranged from their cousins and their extended family.

I miss the photos of Juan Carlos and Sofia's grandchildren together on summer vacation for example.

It is also odd that Queen Sofia didn't attend the confirmation. Is it related to Covid restrictions?

If you remember Sofía's knee injury this summer, it was published in the press that the accident was playing with Irene or Miguel Urdangarín. It would make sense because they are the most similar in age.
Considering that they are the smallest of the family, it is difficult to have a close relationship with older children who are already men and women.
Miguel Urdangarín studies in London, Pablo in Barcelona, Irene in Switzerland, Juan we don't know ... Victoria Federica and Felipe Froilán are too old and have a very busy "social" life (I think it was said that Froilán was studying at a private university In U.S.A)
And her cousin Amanda hers lives in Madrid now, but we don't see them with her either, but that doesn't mean they don't see each other.
A new king, a new family. New customs. The core of the family is the four of them, and then we'll see.

I wonder if Princess Leonor chose a Confirmation name when she received the sacrament. I know that here in the United States when a Roman Catholic is confirmed, he/she is religiously required to select a Confirmation name.

I wonder if Princess Leonor chose a Confirmation name when she received the sacrament. I know that here in the United States when a Roman Catholic is confirmed, he/she is religiously required to select a Confirmation name.

Usually the name that you have been given at your Baptism is chosen, or you can change it.
Most choose to keep their name

A confirmation name has zero legal status. The names in one's passport are and remain the only official ones. Personally I have never ever met someone who suddenly changed from the use of his/her given birth name to the name of a Saint after a confirmation.

In the Roman Catholic church here in the United States, suppose a baby boy is baptized Joseph Charles. When he is older and is about to receive the sacrament of Confirmation, he selects the saint's name of Maximilian after Saint Maximilian for his confirmation name. Maximilian does not replace his first name or his middle name. In the church, for his religious records he would be Joseph Charles Maximilian Fenton. Fenton is his surname. He does not use Maximilian in the outside world.

Confirmation names have no legal status :previous:

My confirmation name does not appear on any of my official records and is private which I'm sure is the same for the Princess of Asturias.

A friend of my brother, changed her name and chose two new ones, and in her daily life she demanded to be called by her new names, but I know absolutely nothing about the legality or not of her new names, because it is the only case I know of.
I'll ask my brother.

--
I want to point out about the religiosity of the queen or not, that we do not know and we will never know. But she was baptized, she made her first Communion, her Confirmation, and her Catholic wedding because her first husband was not a believer. But we do not think of all the other consorts who have literally "changed" their beliefs to marry within churches in which they were not educated. I just wanted to point that out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to everyone who shared links photos and videos of the confirmation. The girls are so lovely and always dressed appropriately.

A friend of my brother, changed her name and chose two new ones, and in her daily life she demanded to be called by her new names, but I know absolutely nothing about the legality or not of her new names, because it is the only case I know of.
I'll ask my brother.

its not unknown for people to change their names and in UK law there's no rule against doing it, as long as you dont intend to commit a fraud. If people prefer anohter name ot the one they were given and want to be called it, Im sure most countries have a mechanism for changing the name...

its not unknown for people to change their names and in UK law there's no rule against doing it, as long as you dont intend to commit a fraud. If people prefer anohter name ot the one they were given and want to be called it, Im sure most countries have a mechanism for changing the name...

Same here and its an official document of intention to change one's name by deed poll.

It is news to me but I am not surprised as it was known that she wasn't a practicing Roman Catholic.

The reason that she was able to marry Felipe was even that she wasn't RC 'enough' to have had a religious first marriage (not even for cultural reasons) but only had had a civil one. Had she been a devout RC, she would surely have had a religious wedding the first time and would have had a lot of trouble marrying Felipe than she had now she wasn't. It's rather weird how the church prefers/red a non-religious divorced bride over a religious divorced bride (in general, and also for Spain's future king; making this non-religious bride one of the very few 'Catholic monarchs' with the privilege du blanc about a decade later).

N.B. Something similar happened to both Catherine and Meghan who were confirmed just before they got married, so we can safely assume that the main reason for their confirmations was their marriage into the royal family.

I don't think it's about preferring a non religious person over another. If you have taken holy vows in a Church you can't take those vows a second time in the Catholic church. Letizia hadn't taken them before marrying Felipe so was entitled to do so that time around.

I don't think it's about preferring a non religious person over another. If you have taken holy vows in a Church you can't take those vows a second time in the Catholic church. Letizia hadn't taken them before marrying Felipe so was entitled to do so that time around.

I understand that isn't the intention but it is what happened in practice. Had Letizia been a devout Roman Catholic, she would have married in the church the first time around; but she didn't, that's why she was free to marry Felipe. So, in practice her not being a devout catholic made it possible to have a royal church wedding when marrying a second time.

I understand that isn't the intention but it is what happened in practice. Had Letizia been a devout Roman Catholic, she would have married in the church the first time around; but she didn't, that's why she was free to marry Felipe. So, in practice her not being a devout catholic made it possible to have a royal church wedding when marrying a second time.

She might have married in a church for all sorts of reasons, family pressure, wanting a big white wedding, habit and social custom. Doesn't have to be devoutly religious outlook. but once she had taken vows in a church, in a religious wedding, she would have to have the marriage annulled to have a church wedding.

I understand what you're saying but the bottom line is she hadn't taken religious marriage vows before marrying Felipe so was free to do so unlike someone who had taken them before and wanting to marry in Church a second time.

I understand what you're saying but the bottom line is she hadn't taken religious marriage vows before marrying Felipe so was free to do so unlike someone who had taken them before and wanting to marry in Church a second time.

Exactly. A devout Roman Catholic bride who would have wanted to marry Felipe for her second marriage would not have had that possibility; so, in practice, a non-devout RC bride (or groom) is preferred for a second marriage over a devout one; because the devout one (or the one who married religiously for other reasons as Denville correctly mentioned) would not be able to marry, while the one who only had a civil marriage is welcomed with open arms.

N.B. We are very much off-topic, so will leave it at this (but happy to discuss it elsewhere if it arises again).

Indeed.

Please return to the topic of this thread, which is the confirmation of the Princess of Asturias. Further OT replies will be deleted from this thread.

Juan Carlos was also Felipe's sponsor at his Confirmation.

Yes, I also like this tradition of the Spanish Royal Family.
Juan Carlos was Felipe's godfather at Confirmation.
Felipe was Leonor's godfather.

Back
Top Bottom