Telma Ortiz's Case Against the Paparazzi Press: April 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I disagree. No other sibling of any crown princesses has to go through what Telma does, not even Diana's sibs. They go to great lengths to get her photos: block her car for photos, chase her down the street with a camera and a mic, even around her house, follow her to Cape Verde and Indonesia, and so on; how is that normal? I really don't understand why they're so obsessed with her and now I believe it has reached a point of harassment. She's not a celebrity but a private citizen and being the Princess's sister still does not give them the license to do that. If a non-celebrity makes magazine covers, or landing in the 100 sexiest list, or newspapers like El Mundo and El Pais giving space to write about her humanitarian work then there's something wrong there, don't you think? I don't think she's asking to be anonymous at all, but you have to agree that the press and the paparazzi have taken this way out of hand.

To paraphrase a quote in the Philippines: Only in Spain, only in Spain.
I think that and by what I have seen of Telma even if the paparazi took only some pictures of her in the street she would also go to court. I think she wants total anonymous and that is really impossible, she should know how to live beeing the sister of the future Queen of Spain.:cool:

I think she wants total anonymous

You are wrong.
She only wants anonymity for her private life but she would be photographed in public events with the Royal House(christenings, communions...)

i have to blatantly disagree. yes, telma and enrique didn't ask for any special 'privilege'. however, there were some examples that clearly show that letizia's family has taken on some privileges: i remember when erika died, telma and all the ortiz rocasolano family were admitted into the vip area of the airport. this is just one example. this doesn't mean you asked for it, but if you accept it, it's just as if you requested it.

I had seen images of Telma waiting at the line of the airport before Erika's death. If the paparazzis were not tailing them, they probably would not have needed this vip room at the airport. We don't know Telma's thought on Erika's death after her own experience this time, Erika had her own problems, but the press constant harrassing didn't do her any good.

with this said, i'm not sure what sort of privileges she had exactly, but i remember reading how letizia's family had their own bodyguards and security people. even if this is not true, i reckon they must have got lots of good things from the situation: how ethical or grateful is it then to take the bad ones to the highest level of power?

I heard Mariangel said that there was no truth to the rumors of bodyguards or security people for Letizia's family. Perhaps Telma did get some good things out of her sister's marriage, but more to the same category as 'my sister is married to a very rich man, I get expensive gifts', this is nothing out of ordinary. If she gets to sit on the board of directors or advisory committees of the companies like the two son-in-laws of the Kings, or endorsing commercial products as Laura Ponte or Simoneta, then I will definitely admit that she rides on the royal express train, not a private citizen anymore :cool:.

She is the sister of the future queen and she cannot have anonymous and her private life will and is suffering consequences, she should know that when her sister decided to marry the future King of Spain. If she didn't sell magazines, they would't be chasing her but yes she sell magazines and even more if she tries to escape from them! Private moments should always be inside some walls because outside even if she is not royal she is now a kind of celebritiy sometimes we are what we don't expect to be but life just turns out to be like this and we must accept and Telma is not accepting this. She should try to see things other way and try to learn how to handle the press insted of beeing always against them. I know it must be hard but she should try!
In Hola report Telma told that she wants that paparrazi stop taking pictures of her, stop talking about her,stop difusing information about her - that is tottaly impossible she is Letizia's sister. I wonder why Paloma doesn't have this kind of problems. Maybe because she is nive to the press, maybe because she smiles sometimes, she allow to take some pictures of her. By the way what would you think if Paloma did the same has Telma???So Telma wants privacy because she is not royal or celebrity and Paloma for example? I think is the same...

Last edited:
Yes biboquinhas, you have reason, she has to allowed that strange persons should chase her 24 hours a day and trade with her life...:bang:

This one is the Spanish justice, but not that I surprise, if in the last years the justice has not could put brake on this press, why were they it going to do it now? ... the laws continue without being sufficient, and the judges are afraid to the power of the press.

Certainly, a magazine pay 30.000 € for the photos of pregnant Thelma (certainly, done in the garden deprived of her house), and now she has that pay to the press that one is enriching with her intimacy ... does someone understand it?

If a suicide was not sufficient in order that they were leaving alone to this family, it is evident that the word "scruples" is not in their dictionary. It is evident, that Thelma has expressed in an as clear as possible way, that she does not want this, and now the whole people knows it, and many people support her. It will follow the press insisting?

Last edited:
Do you really think the press pressure was the cause for Erika's death?
I don't think so, she should had mucht more serious inside problems.
And I'am not saying that she has to allowed strange persons chassing her 24 hours a day and trade with her life, I think that this is not the case, but even if the press took only one or tow pictures she will be annoy because she just doesn't want that kind of publicity but again she needs to learn to live that way!!:eek:

She is the sister of the future queen and she cannot have anonymous and her private life will and is suffering consequences, she should know that when her sister decided to marry the future King of Spain. If she didn't sell magazines, they would't be chasing her but yes she sell magazines and even more if she tries to escape from them! Private moments should always be inside some walls because outside even if she is not royal she is now a kind of celebritiy sometimes we are what we don't expect to be but life just turns out to be like this and we must accept and Telma is not accepting this. She should try to see things other way and try to learn how to handle the press insted of beeing always against them. I know it must be hard but she should try!
In Hola report Telma told that she wants that paparrazi stop taking pictures of her, stop talking about her,stop difusing information about her - that is tottaly impossible she is Letizia's sister. I wonder why Paloma doesn't have this kind of problems. Maybe because she is nive to the press, maybe because she smiles sometimes, she allow to take some pictures of her. By the way what would you think if Paloma did the same has Telma???So Telma wants privacy because she is not royal or celebrity and Paloma for example? I think is the same...

If you were a famous person relative, would you like to be chasing 24 hours day for paparazzi????

If you say so, You could be the only person in this world saying that

It is so easy say so because you haven't experienced that situation, but just try to think about that, I'm sure you couldn't stand it for 1 hour, so nobody wants that stressful life.

Last edited:
I think going to court and the content of the lawsuit was probably too much too ask. On the other hand I agree that the situation obviously was quite hard to bear for Telma. Having her picture taken must be ok but in a suitable manner. That got completely out of hand, nobody deserves to be chased. The question remains why Telma, why not Jesus, why not Henar, even Paloma has found a way to deal with it. Sad that no balance could be found here between privacy and the public interest in Letizia's sister.

i feel so sorry for Telma why does her everyday life have to be examined in great detail by the spanish press it makes me sick. yes its ok at certain times to take some interest in her eg at the birth of her daughter but i feel following her 24/7 is unneccessary and the spanish media should be ashamed of themselves of their treatment of letizia's family so what that she is the future queens sister i don t want to see pictures of her taking out the bins, going shopping in britain we dont follow diana or camilla's family around like they are royalty so why do it in spain

Thelma was a nice and single girl, from the first moment she turned into an instrument into hands of the press, they wanted to relate her to friends of the prince and they married her with Alberto of Monaco. But she was living out of the country, l what was doing that whenever she was coming back to Spain the press it was going mad.

The Princess and everything relative turned to her into a golden mine for certain type of press, and they were not ready to lose this business.
They harassed Jesús, Paloma, Erika, Thelma, the grandparents ... they were constant chased and monitored. Paloma has almost quite the days presses in the door of her work, Erika had press up to in the school of her daughter. Jesus Ortiz frightened to the press being antipathetic, and partly I believe that also because he is employed at a company of important communication.

This press works this way with the Ortiz Rocasolano and with other persons, and nobody they has put brake, because they move a lot of money and the money is to be able ... and they do not import the barbarities that they do.

Last edited:
I think going to court and the content of the lawsuit was probably too much too ask. On the other hand I agree that the situation obviously was quite hard to bear for Telma. Having her picture taken must be ok but in a suitable manner. That got completely out of hand, nobody deserves to be chased. The question remains why Telma, why not Jesus, why not Henar, even Paloma has found a way to deal with it. Sad that no balance could be found here between privacy and the public interest in Letizia's sister.

The many defense lawyers were very good at spinning a relatively simple request into media censorship. Monday I already got the feeling that little Toledo court couldn't handle this so general case against the whole tabloids. If Telma had sued a particular magazine violating privacy by publishing the photos of her in her grandma's garden, the court probably would have handled it better. Both Paloma and Erika had been harrassed exactly the same way as Telma with paparazzis stationing outside their home, work or Carla's school. Paloma didn't seem to mind, but I think Erika did mind although she always appeared very friendly. Erika had lots of problems herself, plus she probably didn't have the money for a lawsuit either.
It's sad that the judge simply dismissed the case, she acknowledges that there is nothing wrong of harrassing a person 24 hours a day :eek:.

Can Telma appeal the decision, or try another court to hear her case? I hope the Spanish pink press won't be feeling so smug now with that kind of decision (as if they have the right to say, "We own you now, Telma"). It's so sad that the case was dismissed just like that, and to be told you're a celebrity against your own wishes is headache-inducing.

Last edited:
Yes she is a public figure now despite her wishes, and has I said before she needs to learn from her mother for example how to deal with it! Paloma knows how to handle the press and she is not chasing 24 hours a day!! She needs to learn how to live like this otherwise it is better that she moved to a very far country and then maybe, just maybe, she will have a bit of peace...
Of course I didn't like to be chasing 24 hours a day, but do you think is the case??I think that they only took some pictures of her while she was resting at her grandmother's house and that was the big deal, she didn't like that at all, but to me no chasing for 24 hours at all!!!!
If that happens to me I would smile, answer some questions and they will surely leave me alone for a few days!

The decision remains odd to me. Regardless of what the judge has said she can hardly be considered a public person, but ok. I read an article in the newspaper today that tabloids had to pay Hugh Grant a huge amount of money as his privacy had been violated while he was on a holiday and the press took pictures of him. It makes me wonder though, if even a famous, public person, gets compensation for a violation of his privacy, why on earth this judge in Toledo came up with this judgment in case of Telma!

I´m so sorry for Telma, this was a wrong decision. She should be left in peace by the press, because she is not a public person.

I think it is difficult for other countries and members of the forum to understand the sociocultural context of the Spanish Royal family and Letizia's family.

In this case the argument of Thelma was to try to avoid future publications to take pictures of her. She demanded 54 media companies and only 22 had taken pics of her ever. It was obvious, she was never really in the news before, only when she was paid to pose at the time of her sister's engagement. This case was different but she has evoked the panthom of censorship and Spanish judges and society found this a ridiculous petition.

only when she was paid to pose at the time of her sister's engagement
She was paid to pose with her sister and family at her sister's engagement! Is this right? Or do you mean she did her own separate photoshoot?

Yes, she offer a few interviews for a ridiculous amount of money stating 'she belonged to the same circle of friends as the prince'; a photo session horse riding and posing with designer clothes. At that time she was single and wanted to offer a good image of herself.

Yes, she offer a few interviews for a ridiculous amount of money stating 'she belonged to the same circle of friends as the prince'; a photo session horse riding and posing with designer clothes. At that time she was single and wanted to offer a good image of herself.

That isn't true, This rumors come from that HATEFUL forum where everyone say rude and hideous things about princess Letizia family, I have been there, and I can't tell you I t is a lie, so please try to be objetive and don't repeit things that crazy people say.:bang:

She was paid to pose with her sister and family at her sister's engagement! Is this right? Or do you mean she did her own separate photoshoot?

Of course not, but there is always someone who likes to post ridiculous lies on the internet. Do you think the SRF would have allowed this to happen ? LOL

Last edited:

IT IS TOTAL AND ABSOLUTELY A LIE

Thelma Ortiz has never charged for appearing in no place, all the images that the press has obtained of her have been because they have chased her.

Only in two occasions Thelma Ortiz has appear in public acts for own will, in the presentation of a book of the Red Cross together with a child of the war of Africa, and gathering a prize that they were giving to her grandmother who was sick.

Look, I obviously respect that opinions, but I receive the magazine Hola in my office everyday and I saw at the time the pictures of Thelma Ortiz saying 'that she belonged to the same circle of friends as the prince' posing with designer clothes.

At that time she had a date with one of the prince's friends. The same that later dated Anne Lagartiburu.
I remember it quite well because I phone one of my friends to ask about details. There is nothing wrong to pose for a magazine with designer clothes. It is both glamorous and good business.

Last edited:
Separate paid photoshoot like many other even royal quests on events like this... :whistling: Get real :ROFLMAO:

So we have lesson on Telma's case (terrible that she can't stay in privacy just because she is celebrity by the fact of her big sis marriage)... if you wan stay as a private person you should ask your sister or brother about her/ his fiance's family.

Last edited:
Look, I obviously respect that opinions, but I receive the magazine Hola in my office everyday and I saw at the time the pictures of Thelma Ortiz saying 'that she belonged to the same circle of friends as the prince' posing with designer clothes.

At that time she had a date with one of the prince's friends. The same that later dated Anne Lagartiburu.
I remember it quite well because I phone one of my friends to ask about details. There is nothing wrong to pose for a magazine with designer clothes. It is glamorous and a chic business.

It's perfect normal if Telma knew some of her brother-in-law's friends and had dated one of them, this has happened to many families out there. But Telma had never posed for any magazine in designer clothes, absolutely nothing like that, otherwise I bet those defense lawyers would have used to go against her this time.

I remember it quite well because I phone one of my friends to ask about details. There is nothing wrong to pose for a magazine with designer clothes. It is both glamorous and good business.

You are talking about HOLA magazine, haha, it is OBVIOUS that you don't read SERIOUS press from Spain, now I understand all you have said.

Sincerely I believe that you do not know by no means to the Spanish press. The press obtains images of the people in the street, harasses them to questions or they invent histories on them ... but it does not mean that these persons appear in a magazine voluntarily and less that they charge for it.

She did not grant any of these declarations, was the press the one that decided to catch up with friends of the Prince. They decided that she was a golden spinster, and looked for her couple, but she never had a relation with any of them, and she never married Alberto of Monaco.:lol:

Thelma has never posed like a model in any magazine. Neither she has granted any interview.

Unfortunately for her, she did and this has been taking into consideration by the judge. It is impossible to ask for privacy when you have been paid to pose horse riding in Asturias and in her appartment saying 'that she had friends in common with the prince'. Which in fact it was true at the time. But it lacks certain coherence. That is why she has to pay at least 50.000 euros for the trial against 54 media companies. Most of them had never published anything from her.

There are two types of press. Elite and 'popular press' of course. I guess same as here in England. Though not so yellowish for sure.

In the early years of the democracy, the press moved from being censored and a propaganda tool of Franco's dictatorship to a more 'free press'. The censorship is yet present to a certain degree unfortunately.

The King and Queen have never had any problem with it nor the 'infantas' and their families. Certain members of hig-class families pay not to be in the press and nothing has ever been published of them.

I understand it absolutely impossible for foreigners to understand the socieconomical background of Spain and its culture.

Back
Top Bottom