Spanish State Visit to U.S.A. April 2020 [postponed]

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What good news! I hope this is just the first of more state visits that the Kings of Spain will be making this year.

Cool...I wonder if Letizia will wear a tiara while here.

LaRae

President Donald J. Trump and First Lady Melania Trump will welcome Their Majesties King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia of Spain to the White House on 21 April 2020, for a state visit to the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ady-melania-trump-announce-state-visit-spain/

State dinners in the US are normally black tie these days. I don't think Letizia will wear a tiara, although Maxima probably would.

Personally I think that wearing a tiara at a black tie event where nobody else is wearing one is a little bit off. Besides, I don't think tiaras look good without orders and appropriate matching jewelry. In the US, it would give too much of a "Disney princess" look, but that is just my opinion (even Mathilde wore tiaras to black tie events in Canada and Poland and Maxima, as I said, always wears one).

Last edited:
Cool...I wonder if Letizia will wear a tiara while here.

LaRae

I doubt Letizia will - she doesn't seem to wear Tiaras in republic countries.

Often she wears cocktail dress as well to the formal dinner eg South Korea last Autumn. Fingers crossed she digs out a long dress and some lovely jewellery for the White House

I highly doubt this. Life will come to a standstill in Europe in the weeks to come, in theory no European is allowed to enter the US until mid April. There will be no State Visit.

I highly doubt this. Life will come to a standstill in Europe in the weeks to come, in theory no European is allowed to enter the US until mid April. There will be no State Visit.
Well, I guess from Trump`s point of view a King and Queen are not like all the rest of "all equal people":whistling:. And he urgently needs some glamourous photos for his propaganda machinery. But in the end you will be proven right- I also think it will be postponed no matter what he wants.

I think in 2 weeks we have a different situation in the US as well. Maybe Trump will test positive for Corona after shaking hands with Bolsonaro.

Well, since President Trump has just declared national emergency I guess a state visit in low on the list of priorities - and will be cancelled.
Anything else would make no sense.

Well, since President Trump has just declared national emergency I guess a state visit in low on the list of priorities - and will be cancelled.
Anything else would make no sense.
Well, a lot of things that he has said and did didn't make any sense, but that didn't stop him.. so----:whistling:

We'll have to wait and see what happens the situation in Spain is extremely worrying.

I'll eat my hat if the Felipe and Letizia were to leave their country the current situation. The situation in Spain is too severe and it would look bad if they kept traveling while everyone else is in a kind of lock-down.

I am almost sure that King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia will not leave the country until the situation in Spain is resolved.
At the moment, the situation in Spain is very complicated, there is no question of going abroad now.
The state visit will likely have to be postponed. It is not the priority of the King or the government to be thinking about travel at a time like this.

I am almost sure that King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia will not leave the country until the situation in Spain is resolved.
At the moment, the situation in Spain is very complicated, there is no question of going abroad now.
The state visit will likely have to be postponed. It is not the priority of the King or the government to be thinking about travel at a time like this.

As it should be. The king and queen should be in their country with their people, showing support. Not off on some trip even for economic causes. Royals are very much a symbol of unity for many.

After Italy; Spain is the most infected country in Europe so I'm really surprised this visit is going ahead - or not, given that only a couple of weeks ago Trump claimed the virus was a hoax. :rolleyes:

After Italy; Spain is the most infected country in Europe so I'm really surprised this visit is going ahead - or not, given that only a couple of weeks ago Trump claimed the virus was a hoax. :rolleyes:
Yes, first our Fearless Leader informed us the coronavirus scare was a hoax, then he told us infected people could still go to work, then he solemnly announced that it's a "foreign" virus ( as if that makes a difference). Now it's a national emergency. Wish he'd make up his mind.

It was inevitable given the crisis in Spain and the correct decision,the King needs to be in Spain.

Has there been any talk of rescheduling this State Visit almost 3 years on?

Back
Top Bottom