Reign of Felipe VI: How Will Things Be Different?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... or the couple will be provided with a Trust Fund they can live off.

correct. Plus, I am sure upon the deaths of grandparents and parents, stipends will be indicated for Sofia from their wills and she will never have to worry about her next meal. Won't cost the Spanish government or citizens a cent. Happens in all royal families.

According to several media, the Royal House is preparing a reception at the Royal Palace for the first anniversary of the proclamation of King Felipe.

El primer aniversario de la proclamación del Rey Felipe VI -- Mujerhoy.com --

King Juan Carlos held for many years his name day on June 23. In the first years with a big party in the gardens of the Royal Palace, after a private recepcion to higher authorities at Zarzuela Palace, and in recent years he canceled the celebrations. It was also traditional that at that time he grant military decorations.

King Felipe has decided not to celebrate his birthday or name day and celebrate the day of his proclamation.

:previous: It would be great if this becomes an annual event as JC's name day used to be.

And doing the receptions at El Campo del Moro would be fntastic and a way to differenciate this special day from other receptions during the rest of the year (12 October for instance), although I doubt they will do it there.

If so, it really makes more sense to celebrate a proclamation day that a name day IMO...

Is the new king still creating new noble titles? His father created several dozen new ones during his reign, mostly marquesses. Spain is one of very few countries (along with Belgium and I don't know who else) that was still creating new hereditary titles. Is Felipe going to continue this? I could see him deciding it was too old-fashioned. But has there been any announcement?

Is the new king still creating new noble titles? His father created several dozen new ones during his reign, mostly marquesses. Spain is one of very few countries (along with Belgium and I don't know who else) that was still creating new hereditary titles. Is Felipe going to continue this? I could see him deciding it was too old-fashioned. But has there been any announcement?

Is it really up to the King to decide to stop ennobling people? Wouldn't that be a decision for the government to make?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not sure if King Felipe VI has created any new titles yet or if he will continue creating new hereditary titles,I guess time will tell,he has revoked one title so far!

And? How is "modern monarchy" with President Borbón and First Lady Ortiz doing? Looking smart and businesslike. Trying to be "modern"? In the meantime in city halls portraits of the King are removed (see link), a member of Parliament demonstratively ripped the Constitution while speaking before the assembly (see link), even officials in Oviedo, Asturias (!) -after fierce protests during the Princess of Asturias Awards ceremony- now discussing because these awards would be "propaganda for the monarchy"...

:ermm:

Notable improvement in Spain’s image in the international press

The economic evolution and the activities of the Royal Household, keys in the change, according to Elcano

Particularly significant is the influence of the intensive diplomatic activity by the King and Queen, including their visits to France, Mexico and the Lebanon, which have caused the image of the Royal Household in the English and French speaking press to evolve very positively. In addition, this has led to greater interest in other news on Spain.

Notable improvement in Spain's image in the international press

I think Felipe has modernized a lot in the ways things are being done now, something other royal houses have been doing for a long time (using the latest technology, social media, trying to promote women and erase nepotism etc etc) in order to get a better link to their people. They are trying to make it more open, transparent or up to date as opposed to the closed military type of household Juan Carlos still kept, as he's from a different generation.

The question is, will all of this help to make people support an undemocratic institution. Even though Felipe gets good remarks, I don't believe that the figure of the King is bigger than political dynamics. I've said it before, maybe it is Felipe's purpose to give full democracy to Spain and smooth the way for an elected president in the end.

I think Felipe has modernized a lot in the ways things are being done now, something other royal houses have been doing for a long time (using the latest technology, social media, trying to promote women and erase nepotism etc etc) in order to get a better link to their people. They are trying to make it more open, transparent or up to date as opposed to the closed military type of household Juan Carlos still kept, as he's from a different generation.

The question is, will all of this help to make people support an undemocratic institution. Even though Felipe gets good remarks, I don't believe that the figure of the King is bigger than political dynamics. I've said it before, maybe it is Felipe's purpose to give full democracy to Spain and smooth the way for an elected president in the end.
In any democratic country that choose to not vote to become a republic, the monarchy is part of the democratic form of government. Becoming a republic does not make it any more democratic.

I dont see it that way. King Philip VI is very popular and the Royal House is not having all this trouble thinking of a possible fall of the monarchy. That doesnt make sense.
I believe that King Philip VI going to have a long reign and will be succeeded by his daughter, the Infanta Leonor.
The monarchy is no longer in danger.

I dont see it that way. King Philip VI is very popular and the Royal House is not having all this trouble thinking of a possible fall of the monarchy. That doesnt make sense.
I believe that King Philip VI going to have a long reign and will be succeeded by his daughter, the Infanta Leonor.

Eeeerrrhhhh.... You have missed the one after the other city hall removing all "royal propaganda" (statues, portraits, royal arms, etc.)? You have missed the upcoming regional elections in Catalonia which are used as a starting point for breaking up Spain? You have missed that Member of Parliament demonstratively ripping the Constitution of Spain in the middle of a debate in the Cortes? You have missed the council of Oviedo (capital of Asturias) discussing if and how they should participate in the Premios Princesa de Asturias as they do not want to be seen "collaborating" with the royals? I am curious to know how you came to the conclusion that Don Felipe is "popular" and that the monarchy is not in danger?

King Felipe it is only a year and something King. So far it has managed to strengthen considerably the monarchy. It is too early to say anything but clearly if properly handle difficult situations and no other scandals then very likely to succeed him as Leonor.

Very positive poll for King Felipe and Monarchy

Felipe VI sitúa a la monarquía en su mejor valoración en 20 años

https://translate.googleusercontent...0.html&usg=ALkJrhjANsKOmWETmYoq8RW1saNRP3u7cg

Last edited by a moderator:
In any democratic country that choose to not vote to become a republic, the monarchy is part of the democratic form of government. Becoming a republic does not make it any more democratic.

with 'undemocratic' i am referring to people being unable to elect their head of state but have to put up with a person holding this position because of birth right.

with 'undemocratic' i am referring to people being unable to elect their head of state but have to put up with a person holding this position because of birth right.

For your information, in some republics nor is the people that choose the head of State.

For your information, in some republics nor is the people that choose the head of State.

I am well aware of that. But at least there is a possibility to get rid of the person after a period of time in case he or she is unpopular or unqualified.

You don't have that chance in a monarchy.

I am well aware of that. But at least there is a possibility to get rid of the person after a period of time in case he or she is unpopular or unqualified.

You don't have that chance in a monarchy.

It's not like that. In Portugal, the President of the Republic is unpopular and there is no way to get rid of him, just in elections, but the other candidates are not better than him.

Exactly. That is what monarchy is. The King does not decide what the politicians can put forth for the people to vote on or make changes to the constitution regarding the head of state. How can it be "undemocratic" when the choice to make the change to a republic has not happened. Being democratic or "undemocratic" depends on the populations role in deciding the form of government they would like to have or not to have. All monarchies in Europe are democratic.

75 of the Spaniards believe that Felipe VI is a good King, while a 19th thinks otherwise, according to a survey published by the Madrid daily El Mundo. Furthermore, the 65.1 supports the monarchy in comparison with the 49.9 reflecting a similar survey in January of 2014, before the abdication of Juan Carlos I.

Felipe VI le devuelve la popularidad a la monarquía española - Gente - Vida y Estilo | El Universo

Polls are a virtual reality. No one has asked them to cast their vote. It is all an internet or telephone survey and then extrapolating the results from 700 people or so, over a whole nation.

Not so virtual reality are municipalities banning any reference to the monarchy, municipalities even refusing to wave the national flag of Spain (!), fierce demonstrations and protests against the monarchy in places they visit, the yelling, whistling and booing, even in places like Oviedo, which was the capital of Don Felipe's own principality (Asturias). I read a poll in a newspaper but my eyes see something different.

Last edited:
Well, perhaps your eyes should look at different signals too. The loudest voices are not the only voices. Look for example at the massive amount of Spaniards on the streets during the enthronement of the king. Or the large crowds that go to most functions of the king and queen.

As far as I know the number of royal engagements carried out by members of the Spanish Royal Family are not counted, but has the overall royal workload changed much since the abdication?

Spanish members of the TRF as they are to see the reign of King Philip VI? VI think Felipe will have a long reign? The Spaniards are content with the work of King and the royal family? The monarchy is popular?

Zarzuela limita los actos de la Reina a lo «escrupulosamente» constitucional

After lots of speculation in the press about the absence of the Queen at the swearing-in ceremony of the new government Zarzuela explains why this was the case (Sofia always attended in the past):
Felipe VI will assume exclusively the acts reserved for him according to the Magna Carta and Doña Letizia will accompany him at State events or where she will be a supposed asset and be "close to the people". Sources of the Crown confirm that the commented absence of the Queen at the swearing-in of Rajoy and the ministers responds to a decision "coordinated and studied" by the organs of the Royal House.

Still No New Nobles Created- Is this a Permanent Shift?

When I mentioned this over a year ago, people said we'll see he hasn't been King for very long. It's been a while now. Was there any announcement that there will be no new noble titles created, or is this just a practice that Felipe is quietly abandoning?

Thanks for posting that eya. And quite an accomplishment for the king, considering the poll numbers not too long ago and the general dissatisfaction with authorities by much of the electorate in Europe.

Zarzuela limita los actos de la Reina a lo «escrupulosamente» constitucional

After lots of speculation in the press about the absence of the Queen at the swearing-in ceremony of the new government Zarzuela explains why this was the case (Sofia always attended in the past):
Felipe VI will assume exclusively the acts reserved for him according to the Magna Carta and Doña Letizia will accompany him at State events or where she will be a supposed asset and be "close to the people". Sources of the Crown confirm that the commented absence of the Queen at the swearing-in of Rajoy and the ministers responds to a decision "coordinated and studied" by the organs of the Royal House.

I like this constitutional clarity. Felipe is the head of state. Letizia has nothing to do there. This is in line with practice in other monarchies.

This is so good, a score not only higher than the pre scandals times, but similar to the late 1990's when the monarchy still enjoyed great popularity :ohmy:

And it's been just 3-4 years since the ratings were at their lowest ever... IIRIC, it even went to a 3! I wonder if such a growth in popularity is due to the gap year in government and institutions and the subsequent circus. We citizens tend to evaluate by comparison so many times, and in such incertainty one starts to look at stable, sure values like the crown with a different (better) stare... ;)

Let's see if the approval ratings follow their growing trend until the levels from 80's or early 90's were the King and the Monarchy were inmensely popular...though I'm very much afraid we won't see that. As Marengo says, we're living very different times :whistling:

Judging by that poll unless I'm seeing it wrong Queen Sofia is the most popular member,no surprise really but Zarzuela should bring H.M. out more!

Back
Top Bottom