Queen Letizia's Orders

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlota

Majesty
Country
United States
i was trying to find out a list of all the foreign orders letizia has been awarded. i identified:
Order of Carlos III, Spain
Ordre National Du Mérite, France
Orden del Libertador San Martin, Argentina
Orden Manuel José Hurtado, Panama

however, i was having difficulty recognizing some of the others:

what's this order that letizia is wearing? it must be a mexican order as it was worn during a state visit by mexico.
Una cena de gala en en el Palacio Real en honor del presidente mexicano

i was also having difficulty identifying the sashes sofia and letizia are wearing here (which is from latvia), here from hungary (i thought it was the holy cross) and here from philippines.

it would be nice to have a full record of all the orders she has as the royal house website doesn't have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for identifying the rest. now we judt need the hungarian and the philippine ones.

These are the orders according to Wikipedia.

• 22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
    Spain
    • Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III on 21 May 2004.
  • 22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
    France
    • Ordre National Du Mérite
  • 22px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
    Argentina
    • Orden del Libertador San Martin
  • 22px-Flag_of_Panama.svg.png
    Panama
    • Orden Manuel José Hurtado
  • 22px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png
    Mexico
    • Order of the Aztec Eagle
  • 22px-Flag_of_Latvia.svg.png
    Latvia
    • Three Stars Order
  • 22px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png
    Romania
    • Order of the Faithful Service
  • 22px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png
    Hungary
    • The Order of Merit.
  • 22px-Flag_of_Lebanon.svg.png
    Lebanon
    • Lebanese order of Merit, Gran Cordon
Other Honours

• Favourite Daughter of Oviedo (Hija Predilecta de Oviedo, 2007)
  • Adoptive Daughter of Ribadesella (Hija Adoptiva de Ribadesella, 2004)
  • 'Lazo de Dama' of the Royal Masterhood of Cavalry of Seville, 2008
:flowers:

:previous: Aren't these orders routinely given as a courtesy to visiting dignitaries?

Has Letizia received any prices in her life as journalist?

I noticed that at the recent Dutch Invesiture Ceremony that Letizia has no Dutch orders,maybe this is something that she will recieve from a future Dutch State Visit to Spain by the new King and Queen.

H.M.Queen Letizia received the Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown from the Netherlands on the 15th of October 2014.

H.M.Queen Letizia of Spain was also awarded the Special Class of the Order of Muhammad from Morocco on the 14th of July 2014.

It seems that it was a complete surprise for King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia that King Willem-Alexander suddenly showed her the Court Decree signed by him and the cassette with the decorations of a Lady Grand-Cross in the Crown Order (House of Orange Order).

On this picture you see Crown Princess Masako with the same Order.

H.M.Queen Letizia received the Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown from the Netherlands on the 15th of October 2014.

that's a pretty "minor" order for a Queen Consort. I wonder if she'll receive the Netherlands Lion order if they have a Spanish-Dutch State Visit.

Yes we were all thinking that but perhaps they will wait until a formal State Visit?

We can be sure about that. A State Visit is the highest protocollary event between two states and that is the time to confer the Order of Carlos III on King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima and to bestow the Order of the Netherlands Lion to King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia.

:)

The Order bestowed on Queen Letizia is a dynastic order of the House Orange. This means it was a purely personal decision by King Willem-Alexander, a sign of personal appreciation, esteem and respect for the Queen.

List of current honours bestowed on Queen Letizia

Spanish honours

Spain: Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III
Spain: 10th De facto Grand Mistress of the Order of Queen Maria Luisa
Spain: Knight of the Decoration of the Royal Cavalry of Seville

Foreign honours

Argentina: Grand Cross of the Order of the Liberator General San Martin
Chile: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit
Colombia: Grand Cross of the Order of Boyaca
Estonia: Grand Cross of the Order of the Cross of Terra Mariana
France: Grand Cross of the National Order of Merit
Hungary: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Hungary
Latvia: Grand Cross of the Order of the Three Stars
Lebanon: Grand Cordon of the Order of Merit
Netherlands: Dame Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown
Mexico: Grand Cross of the Order of the Aztec Eagle
Morocco: Dame with Special Class Collar of the Order of Muhammad
Panama: Grand Cross of the Order of Vasco Núñez de Balboa
Peru:
Grand Cross of the Order of the Sun
Grand Cross of the Order of Merit for Distinguished Service
Philippines: Grand Cross of the Order of the Golden Heart
Portugal: Grand Cross of the Order of Christ
Romania: Grand Cross of the Order of Faithful Service

Hopefully we'll see a few more Foreign Royal Orders!

Interesting that the Queen of Spain has only one foreign royal order. It was given -by surprise- to Queen Letizia (October 2014, introduction visit to The Hague). As the Crown Order (in the Order of the House of Orange) is a royal prerogative without ministerial influence, it is seen as a public token of approval and esteem by King Willem-Alexander towards Doña Letizia.

Last edited:
I'm sure the balance will even out with incoming and outgoing State Visits and perhaps introductory visits to the UK/ Norway/Sweden/Monaco?

Interesting that the Queen of Spain has only one foreign royal order. It was given -by surprise- to Queen Letizia (October 2014, introduction visit to The Hague). As the Crown Order (in the Order of the House of Orange) is a royal prerogative without ministerial influence, it is seen as a public token of approval and esteem by King Willem-Alexander towards Doña Letizia.

No wonder as there where no incoming State Visits from foreign monarchs to Spain in the time between her Wedding and the abdication of King Juan Carlos. As far as i remember Prince Daniel of Sweden has now 5 years after his marriage also no Order from a foreign Monarchy

Last edited:
I think there was 1 from Dubai maybe in 2011?

No wonder as there where no incoming State Visits from foreign monarchs to Spain in the time between her Wedding and the abdicvation of King Juan Carlos. As far as i remember Perince Daniel of Sweden has no 5 years after his marriage also no Order from a foreign Monarchy

The difference between Queen Letizia and Queen Máxima is remarkable but it was thanks to Queen Beatrix' activistic policy (ever and always include the Prince of Orange and his spouse) that she has a load of royal Orders.

Belgium: Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown (20 June 2006)
Luxembourg: Grand Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau (24 April 2006)
Norway: Grand Cross of the Order of St. Olav (2 October 2013)
Oman: Member 1st Class of the Order of Sultan Qaboos (10 January 2012)
Spain: Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic (19 October 2001)
Sweden: Commander Grand Cross of the Order of the Polar Star (2010)
UAE: Member 1st Class of the Union Order (9 January 2012)
Japan: Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown (29 October 2014)
Denmark: Knight of the Order of the Elephant (17 March 2015)
Brunei: Senior of the Most Esteemed Family Order of Brunei (21 Januaruy 2013)

The difference between Queen Letizia and Queen Máxima is remarkable but it was thanks to Queen Beatrix' activistic policy (ever and always include the Prince of Orange and his spouse) that she has a load of royal Orders.

I think that the then Prince of Orange and Pricness Máxima accompanied Queen Beratrix on a lot of State Visits abroad had also to with the fact that Prince Claus was not alive anynmore.

Last edited:
As Stefan said the Queen Maxima accompanied the Queen Beatrice to many trips. So there is no comparison between the two Queens in this regard.
Just wondering if Letizia made introduction trips in Belgium and Luxembourg why not given the royal order as happen in the netherlands? (Duc_et_pair say it was surprise that)

As Stefan said the Queen Maxima accompanied the Queen Beatrice to many trips. So there is no comparison between the two Queens in this regard.
Just wondering if Letizia made introduction trips in Belgium and Luxembourg why not given the royal order as happen in the netherlands? (Duc_et_pair say it was surprise that)

because it's very rare that such things happen. Usually, you only receive an order if you participate in a State Visit complete with gala. It's very rare, as far as I know, to be given an order simply on a short visit.

Reactions: eya

The top royal orders are normally awarded to visiting monarchs on official state visits, aren't they ? Letizia has been queen for little over an year now and hasn't made many state visits yet.

Back
Top Bottom