Queen Letizia's Orders

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure the balance will even out with incoming and outgoing State Visits and perhaps introductory visits to the UK/ Norway/Sweden/Monaco?

Neither King Willem Alexander nor King Felipe VI have been made Knights of the Garter yet, although King Juan Carlos and Princess Beatrix were previously inducted into the order. On the other hand, neither King Philippe nor his father, King Albert II, are Knights of the Garter, although King Baudouin was made a Stranger Knight when he visited the UK, I believe, in 1963.

I wonder if Queen Elizabeth II would refuse to award orders to any of the younger European monarchs who ascended the throne by abdication while their predecessors are still alive. That wouldn't make sense as, in the past, Queen Beatrix for example became a Lady Companion of the Garter while Princess Juliana was still alive.

Last edited:
On the other hand, neither King Philippe nor his father, King Albert II, are Knights of the Garter, although King Baudouin was made a Stranger Knight when he visited the UK, I believe, in 1963.

I wonder if Queen Elizabeth II would refuse to award orders to any of the younger European monarchs who ascended the throne by abdication while their predecessors are still alive. That wouldn't make sense as, in the past, Queen Beatrix for example became a Lady Companion of the Garter while Princess Juliana was still alive.

I think the reason that King Albert II. has not received the Order of the Garter has to do with the fact that there was nor british/belgian State Visit during his reign.

Even with the upcoming state visit to the UK in March i don't see Letizia getting a British order even a minor one - i don't recall Queen Sofia with one?
Felipe already has the Royal Victoria Order so i wonder will QE upgrade to a higher order now he is King

Felipe will almost certainly receive the Order of the Garter from Her Majesty and Letizia may receive the RVO although I don't think Queen Sofia was given it.

You never know with Queen Elizabeth II

Even with the upcoming state visit to the UK in March i don't see Letizia getting a British order even a minor one - i don't recall Queen Sofia with one?
Most likely Letizia will not get a british Order. Queen Sofia has none and neither have Queens Silvia and Sonja.

That has to do with the British policy not to decorate female royal spouses. Prince Hendrik of the Netherlands, Prince Félix of Luxembourg, Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, Prince Henrik of Denmark and Prince Claus of the Netherlands all got British decorations.

Queen Sonja of Norway, Queen Silvia of Sweden, Queen Fabiola of the Belgians, Grand-Duchess María Teresa of Luxembourg, etc.: nope... That is also the answer why Diana or Camilla's foreign orders are so rare. Queen Juliana and Queen Beatrix were not so petty. During their Reigns ladies as Queen Elizabeth (QETQM), The Princess Margaret, The Princess Anne, The Princess of Wales, Princess Alice of Athlone, Princess Alice of Gloucester, Princess Marina of Kent, all received a visible token of esteem and respect by the Dutch monarch, the latter not feeling hindranced by reciprocity-feelings of 'revenge' in their royal will and pleasure.

As long as the British Queen keeps her policy towards female spouses, Doña Letizia will remain without a British Order.

Last edited:
Felipe will almost certainly receive the Order of the Garter from Her Majesty and Letizia may receive the RVO although I don't think Queen Sofia was given it.

You never know with Queen Elizabeth II

Usally he will get a lower Order first: the RVO or the Royal Victorian Chain and then in a couple of years will get the Garter.

I believe that Felipe will recieve the Order of the Garter, maybe not this year, but soon. Letizia, will not recieve an order from the British Empire, much like her predecesors before her.

Most likely Letizia will not get a british Order. Queen Sofia has none and neither have Queens Silvia and Sonja.

Well, likely not from Elizabeth II. But from Charles? That belongs in the when he is king thread, but it will be interesting to see his take on the mutual sharing of orders.

The spouses should receive orders from The Queen, and the King of Spain should give Camilla and Cambridge's orders.

That has to do with the British policy not to decorate female royal spouses. Prince Hendrik of the Netherlands, Prince Félix of Luxembourg, Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, Prince Henrik of Denmark and Prince Claus of the Netherlands all got British decorations.

Queen Sonja of Norway, Queen Silvia of Sweden, Queen Fabiola of the Belgians, Grand-Duchess María Teresa of Luxembourg, etc.: nope... That is also the answer why Diana or Camilla's foreign orders are so rare. Queen Juliana and Queen Beatrix were not so petty. During their Reigns ladies as Queen Elizabeth (QETQM), The Princess Margaret, The Princess Anne, The Princess of Wales, Princess Alice of Athlone, Princess Alice of Gloucester, Princess Marina of Kent, all received a visible token of esteem and respect by the Dutch monarch, the latter not feeling hindranced by reciprocity-feelings of 'revenge' in their royal will and pleasure.

As long as the British Queen keeps her policy towards female spouses, Doña Letizia will remain without a British Order.

wow, i didn't know this - what a shame for letizia, as for all other female spouses. i'd understand it if the men spouses don't receive it too (after all, that's all they are, the spouses...), but to give it to the men and not the women seems unfair. i guess it was OK in prior times for the queen to do so, and now, for consistency, she has kept her approach, but i imagine this will change with charles.

wow, i didn't know this - what a shame for letizia, as for all other female spouses. i'd understand it if the men spouses don't receive it too (after all, that's all they are, the spouses...), but to give it to the men and not the women seems unfair. i guess it was OK in prior times for the queen to do so, and now, for consistency, she has kept her approach, but i imagine this will change with charles.

It might be the case that female spouses have fewer decorations, but i think the story around it is Duc-et-Pair's opinion rather than fact....

It might be the case that female spouses have fewer decorations, but i think the story around it is Duc-et-Pair's opinion rather than fact....
But that doe not change the fact that Prince Henrik has the Royal Victorian Order and Queens Silvia, Sonja and Solfia don't have it. Queen Paola also has no british order but there was not State Visit between Belgium and the UK during her husbands reign.

Well, likely not from Elizabeth II. But from Charles? That belongs in the when he is king thread, but it will be interesting to see his take on the mutual sharing of orders.
As the State Visit is in March it will be Elizabeth II. who gives out Orders or not. But certainly why can't know what will hapen at future State Visits between the 2 countries once there is a King Charles.

Last edited:
Now that there is talk of a State Visit to Japan ,Letizia may receive a Japanese order?

I guess Queen Letizia will receive the Order of Precious Crown- 1st class

Yes as Queen Sofia,Infantas Elena and Cristina were all given the Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown.

Yes as Queen Sofia,Infantas Elena and Cristina were all given the Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown.

The same for Q. Maxima and Q. Mathilde during their state visits to Japan.

Queen Letizia did receive the Grand Cordon (Paulwonia) of the Order of the Precious Crown from Japan but nothing as expected from the UK.

Queen Letizia has the Spanish Order of Charles III ( (Carlos III in Spanish), but I believe she hasn't received the collar of the order yet, unlike her mother-in-law. I wonder why.

I also wonder why queen consorts of Spain don't receive the Order of the Golden Fleece. As far as I know, only the Princess of Asturias currently has it in the family besides, of course, the King and his father.

Last edited:
Queen Letizia has the Spanish Order of Charles III ( (Carlos III in Spanish), but I believe she hasn't received the collar of the order yet, unlike her mother-in-law. I wonder why.

I think i read once that Queen Sofia got it for her 50th birthday so she also hadn't it from early on.

I also wonder why queen consorts of Spain don't receive the Order of the Golden Fleece. As far as I know, only the Princess of Asturias currently has it in the family besides, of course, the King and his father.

My guess is the same about why Letizia hasn't been made Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of Charles III

But as for the Order of the Golden Fleece, consorts (Spanish or foreign) and even spouses of foreign royalty will not receive the Order of the Golden Fleece, it is only awarded to rulers and Princes and Princesses in their own right but not all of them as was done before in the 19th century and previously, so very limited people will be Knights, but many are expected, for example.

Denmark: Crown Prince Frederick and Prince Christian

Sweden: Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Estelle

Norway: Crown Prince Haakon and Princess Ingrid-Alexandra

The Netherlands: King William-Alexander and Princess Catharina-Amalia

Belgium: King Phillipe and Princess Elisabeth

United Kingdom: Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince George

Luxembourg: Prince Guillaime, Prince Felix and Princess Amalia (the latter most probably if Guilliame doesn't have children)

Queen Letizia's orders:
Spain:
  • Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III
  • 10th De facto Grand Mistress of the Order of Queen Maria Luisa
  • Dame of the Decoration of the Royal Cavalry of Seville

Foreign honours:
Argentina:
Grand Cross of the Order of the Liberator General San Martin
Chile:
Grand Cross of the Order of Merit
Colombia:
Extraordinary Grand Cross of the Order of Boyaca
Estonia:
Member 1st Class of the Order of the Cross of Terra Mariana
France:
Grand Cross of the Order of National Merit
Hungary:
Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Hungary
Italy:
Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic (25 October 2021)
Japan:
Grand Cordon (Paulwonia) of the Order of the Precious Crown
Latvia:
Commander Grand Cross of the Order of the Three Stars
Lebanon:
Grand Cordon of the Order of Merit
Netherlands:
Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown
Recipient of the King Willem-Alexander Inauguration Medal
Mexico:
Sash of Special Category of the Order of the Aztec Eagle
Morocco:
Member Special Class of the Order of Muhammad
Panama:
Grand Cross of the Order of Vasco Núñez de Balboa
Peru:
Grand Cross of the Order of the Sun
Grand Cross of the Order of Merit for Distinguished Service
Philippines:
Grand Cross of the Order of the Golden Heart
Portugal:
Grand Cross of the Order of Christ
Grand Cross of the Order of Liberty
Romania:
Grand Cross of the Order of Faithful Service
South Korea:
Grand Gwanghwa Medal of the Order of Diplomatic Service Merit (15 June 2021)
Sweden:
Member of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (24 November 2021)

Last edited:
Queen Letizia's orders:
Spain:
  • Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III
  • 10th De facto Grand Mistress of the Order of Queen Maria Luisa
  • Dame of the Decoration of the Royal Cavalry of Seville

Foreign honours:
Argentina:
Grand Cross of the Order of the Liberator General San Martin
Chile:
Grand Cross of the Order of Merit
Colombia:
Extraordinary Grand Cross of the Order of Boyaca
Estonia:
Member 1st Class of the Order of the Cross of Terra Mariana
France:
Grand Cross of the Order of National Merit
Hungary:
Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Hungary
Italy:
Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic (25 October 2021)
Japan:
Grand Cordon (Paulwonia) of the Order of the Precious Crown
Latvia:
Commander Grand Cross of the Order of the Three Stars
Lebanon:
Grand Cordon of the Order of Merit
Netherlands:
Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown
Recipient of the King Willem-Alexander Inauguration Medal
Mexico:
Sash of Special Category of the Order of the Aztec Eagle
Morocco:
Member Special Class of the Order of Muhammad
Panama:
Grand Cross of the Order of Vasco Núñez de Balboa
Peru:
Grand Cross of the Order of the Sun
Grand Cross of the Order of Merit for Distinguished Service
Philippines:
Grand Cross of the Order of the Golden Heart
Portugal:
Grand Cross of the Order of Christ
Grand Cross of the Order of Liberty
Romania:
Grand Cross of the Order of Faithful Service
South Korea:
Grand Gwanghwa Medal of the Order of Diplomatic Service Merit (15 June 2021)
Sweden:
Member of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (24 November 2021)

i wonder when Queen Letizia will be upgraded to Dame with Collar of the Order of Charles III as Queen Sofia. Quite frankly, she should have been already promoted within the order by now as her appointment as Grand Cross dates back to when she was still Princess of Asturias.

Technically, since the Order of Charles III is a national civil order, appointments or promotions in the order are decided by the government on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, who is the order's "Grand Chancellor" . But I would suppose that, when it comes to members of the Royal Family, the King as Grand Master should be able to propose an appointment or promotion to the Council of Ministers, shouldn't he?

Besides, as a member of the Royal Family, Queen Letizia is eligible for the grade of Collar according to the current statutes of the order.

2. La concesión del Collar podrá recaer en los miembros de la Familia Real, los Jefes de Estado y de Gobierno y en aquellos ciudadanos españoles que estén en posesión de la Gran Cruz con más de tres años de antigüedad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom