Queen Letizia and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The mystery of the appointment in the palace with the princes
Blog - La actualidad rosa contada por Beatriz Cortázar en ABC.es - Blog ABC.es

The front page says "appointment in the palace" but the magazine does not want to confirm if they actually spoke to them. Zarzuela denies there was special treatment but those twisting words or alleged quotes menitoned in the article will cause some uproar among Spanish media as they have to come from somewhere. Either they do exclusives or they dont, a deliberately suggested pseude-exclusive is the worst choice. And if there was something that comes near an exclusive, why do it with Vanity Fair, the name says it all, the most shallow choice for somebody who is supposed to stand for serious work. What a nice reception for the new comms man in charge.

The mag will be on sale on Thursday.

I believe that once again the press is manipulating to the people and the information, they take advantage of the ignorance of the people to create polemics. For anyone that follows habitually the chronicles of the journalists who follow the information of Royal House, there is no many innovation. In what I read there are commentaries and anecdotes that I already knew, because others had written them.

For my this article it is not different from the one that Yo Dona published one year ago. A magazine decides to do an article, and does a follow-up of the member of the Royal Family. And from there they do an article. When one is near, has more information (because like I have said often there are journalists who speak without go to an official act).

Neither it would be strange that they had met them, it is known that the Prince and the Princess support private meetings and lunchs with journalists. And those who come know that it is a private meeting and up to where they can speak.

Most likely. But still Vanity Fair tries to give the impression that their story is different but chosing the wording they did. There is the rumour that there were exclusive shots but Zarzuela withdrew permission at last minute for damage control reasons.

Another shot from inside the magazine, the core SRF with faces of thunder, what a choice. They don't look like royal life is fun.
http://blog.revistavanityfair.es/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/019_mag_principes.jpg

I've read it. Nothing new, it seems to be the same kind of article that was published in Yo Donna a few years ago. No interview with the Prince and Princess.
More of the same,

There is the rumour that there were exclusive shots but Zarzuela withdrew permission at last minute for damage control reasons.

Maybe, but belive me, The Royal house knows wery well what would happened if Exclusive photos are taken. So I'm affraid that the rumor it is just a way of manipulate the information.

Last edited:
I believe that the own magazine is playing with the limits and what they want it is to sell copies, and they are obtaining an incredible and free advertising. It would be good that someone publishes the number of sales of the previous number of this magazine and of this one.

Last edited:
I believe that the own magazine is playing with the limits and what they want it is to sell copies, and they are obtaining an incredible and free advertising. It would be good that someone publishes the number of sales of the previous number of this magazine and of this one.

How true :whistling:

In this article, the Director of Vanity Fair Spain, Lourdes Garzón, confirms that Zarzuela never ask them to change the photos for damage control reasons, and that exlcusive photos never were taken. The photos were taken by a photographer during some official engagements of the Prince and Princess and those are the ones that appear in the mag.

They would honestly send their own photographer who is used to do exclusive portaits, eg of Elizabeth II, only to have him take some ordinary shots that have already been all over the agencies for two months at VF publishing date :whistling: Whatever the truth, this whole rumour mill has been priceless advertising for VF :p

I will expect to buy the magazine because still they have not distributed it in the whole Spain.

It is incredible but in television and in press, many have said and written things based only on rumors, and in a small advance of the part of gossip of the article, they have not even read the complete article. What in addition was not contributing anything new because they were phrases and anecdotes that other journalists already had written.

For what I have read great part of the article is about other things, and there are opinions of people who is employed at the House of the King, friends, journalists, politicians ... and all that is not mentioned. These people speak about their work, their preparation, their future role ...

Vanity Fair asegura, de fuentes "de Palacio", que el Príncipe ya está preparado para ser Felipe VI. europapress.es

The Vanity Fair pseudo-exclusive causes lots of polemic and media uproar in Spain. Where is the borderline between exclusive and non-exclusive when the magazine doesnt want to confirm if they spoke to the princes or not and what kind of access they had.
Los Príncipes de Asturias, portada de Vanity Fair - El programa de Ana Rosa - Telecinco.es

Regarding the exclusive pictures, in the VF article Letizia is called a "vain woman who would have loved to pose for the photographers exclusively in an elegant posture, just like Queen Rania. Or would have loved to let journalists into the palace and show them around, just like Carla Bruni. But unfortunately, she is not allowed to."

So much for her not liking any attention :whistling:

To go for a non-transparent compromise instead of a clear message (either it's exclusive, like the El Pais Semanal article & picture in 2006 or just another royal watcher article like El Mundo Y Dona in 2009) has backfired quite badly. Seems they haven't learned anything from the polemic in 2006, when they posed for an exclusive picture in Zarzuela II.

Los Príncipes en 'Vanity fair', la entrevista que nunca existió | Comunicación | elmundo.es

The press of Spain is sick, they believed a rumor, spread it and they will support it ultimately because they will never admit that they were wrong and because the polemic gives a lot of money. The journalists have said a lot of lies about the Princess and never a journalist has apologized for them. They transform the stories every day, to demonstrate that they had the reason, up to turning them into something ridiculous.

Vanity Fair has made the perfect campaign of marketing, " sell smoke ", the people will buy the magazine, but the disappointment will be big when they read it, and see that there are no new photos, it has not interview and much of what they write already had been written before. The majority of the journalists criticized the magazine without reading it copying the initial rumor.

This blog clarifies the reasons of this situation. Vanity Fair España publishes 128.817 copies and sells 40.736. Vogue, of same publishing company, publishes 192.697 copies and sells 121.923.

Viéndolas venir
OJD

Vanity Fair is going to have its aim, to sell many magazines, it will be necessary to see if it does that it survives or their manipulations will just sunk it.

Royals on the cover always sell, therefore Vanity Fair is only trying to make the most of their obviously limited options. The rumours surrounding this issue will compensate for the losses the ordinary agency cover shot will cause - more people would have bought the magazine with an exclusive shot on the cover, but now the talk about it will also attract people to buy.

I wouldn't blame the magazine too much since they are only doing what they are supposed to do - sell. I'd rather say that Zarzuela did a poor job by clarifying what is possible and what is not, and handling the rumour mill. The wording on the cover and the message "that we cannot confirm if we spoke to the princes or not" and other quotations, deliberately circulated pre-issue, were bound to cause controversy - it's not difficult to predict, isn't it, given the history of coverage of the Princes, especially the El Pais Semanal in 2006.

Now they have a new head of communications but what for? He seems to get knocked over by the polemic and Zarzuela communications seem as chaotic as ever.

In my opinion lots of polemic is caused by the over-restrictive policy of exclusive pictures in general, distributed by Zarzuela and then making the way via agencies. Plenty of pictures exist from JC, Sofia and their young children in Zarzuela, but nowadays there are only a handful appearances of Leonor and Sofia per year, they don't release pictures on birthdays, special occasions etc and even the official pictures, Letizia's picture is almost 6 years old and Felipes picture is much older - I don't think its a surprise at all that Spanish media will fall over themselves and create a fuzz as soon as its about close-up coverage or alleged exclusive pictures of the princes.

There shouldn't be such a mystery policy about the Asturias family from Zarzuela, there wasnt one back then, ok times have changed, but if the message is to connect to the people then start at your website, make it more friendly and don't use ugly and dated pictures - latest example the new family picture, 2 years old, from an official event and with either sour or fake facial expressions. Other Royal Houses do a much better and more relaxed job in that respect, presenting themselves and opening up to the media, why not allow natural and private pictures on special occasions on a regular basis that Zarzuela would even be in control of?

Duke, the House of the King has said and repeated that the Princess does not grant interviews and Vanity Fair have had the same access that any mass media that receives an accreditation to do an article on a member of the Royal Family.

It is the magazine, and the director with her declarations in television the one that is playing and saying ambiguous things in order that others could create polemic and continue speaking. It is a game of marketing of the magazine that does not sell enought and that this month faces a new competitor Harpers Bazar. And the press follows the game because is profitable.

The problem in Spain is that the competition and the envy is fierce, and when the topic is Letizia, the thing turns into madness. If the Princess was granting an interview, the quantity of barbarities that would be heard would be infinite. Even if it was doing it to public mass media, the private ones they would have envy and would criticize it.

The problem is not the Royal House, the problem is the press. They cannot attend to all the mass media of this country, it is impossible, and until the press does not accept it as normally, the things will be still the same.

It is the magazine, and the director with her declarations in television the one that is playing and saying ambiguous things in order that others could create polemic and continue speaking.

Lula, don't you think it would be possible for Zarzuela, who after all GRANT access to the princes, ALLOW a VF photographer to be around for purpose of the article, to make very clear to the magazine that it cannot do any word games in order to promote the magazine? I would expect the Zarzuela comms department to make clear from the start, BEFORE the work on the article starts, that the words "exclusive" and "interview" must not be be used for amibiguous advertising and consequently become subject to media frenzy, for obvious reasons since Zarzuela has been there before. Who should be in control here? Certainly not the magazine. Doesn't seem like a good handling from Senor Iribarren and his staff.

I remember there were rumours regarding the 2009 El Mundo piece but quickly died down because after the El Pais affair it was more or less clear that there would be no exclusive, period.

I believe that the rules of the Royal House are clear for all and they all know them. What has made Vanity Fair is to force the limits, they have not broken any rule, but they have played meaningfully to the ambiguity. They have put the trap and the yellow press has fallen very ease since like surely they were waiting.

When you read the article everything is very evident.

Article of Vanity Fair

http://i48.tinypic.com/2heaxcl.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2yoy9ly.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/4g6mv8.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/r09mac.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/651wdw.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/11c626w.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/jre4on.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/21j4syb.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/11rbynr.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/281qwia.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2e3d15j.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/nfie7c.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2vx2kh2.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/j6ml3l.jpg

It is an article,and normal enough.

They start speaking about the Princess, repeating some topics and with opinions of a friend and of a journalist, and the story of a public audience in Zarzuela. It appears in two pages.

The rest of the article is dedicated basically to the Prince, to how they work and how it will be the succession. Declarations of the Prince Pavlos of Greece about the studies of the Prince in Washington, some commentary more of the friend about the family life (where does not reveal anything new)... and from there is the article is dedicated to the Monarchy, the King, the Prince and the future of the succession, with opinions of journalists, politicians and the House of the King.

The photos are of official acts, and as you can see the Prince, the Princess, the King and the Queen have the same protagonism.

After reading it, my only conclusion is that the Spanish press is not professional and ridiculous.

Thanks for posting lula :flowers: Some of the pictures are really good and "exclusive" in the sense that there was a photographer around who clearly knows his profession.

It seems to me that some of the photos of the article are most of the same ones that are posted in the State visit to Vietman thread, but the Vanity ones were taken in a different position.

About the article; seems to be normal...nothing exclusive, apart from the declaration of Prince Pavlos of Greece and Letizia's friend that are just more of the same.

However, reading the article you can see that no interview was given by Felipe and Letizia, so why Spanish journalists said that?, It is very clear that is not an interview. May be some Felipe and Letizia comments, but they actually comments a lot of things with the journalists.

Hello has a two page spread this week about the "life and style" of Princess Letizia

The photo on the cover of the magazine doesn't look exclusive. However, some photos in the magazine are quite good.

Hello

I do not know if it is the right place to post, but I found this article
Los caprichos de la Princesa Letizia para acudir a la Boda Real de Inglaterra - Realeza - Diario Femenino de la mujer
I read the google traslation and it seems quite negative for the Princesse of Asturias.
I understood that she snobbed the dinner given by Prince Charles because of Isabel Preysler's presence, that she travelled with 9 suits for one day festivities, etc etc.
What do you think? Or I misunderstood the translation?

fandesacs2003, of course the article skipped mentioning that Queen Sofia travelled to London with 11 suitcases mentioned in the Spanish press, 2 more than Letizia. I think some suitcases belonged to bodyguards, assistants or hairdressers.
I doubt Letizia decided alone who should attend the dinner for the visit of Charles and Camilla. Also what special contributions Isabel Preysler had to be invited for every single state dinner ? If JC likes to invite rich socialites, the Princes don't have to do the same. There are many more Spaniards from different sectors of the society who probably deserve more to be at the dinner than Isabel Preysler IMO. I remember she attended the state dinner for the President of Philippines (where she was born), she didn't attract that much attention, let alone upstaging Letizia.

Last edited:
fandesacs2003, of course the article skipped mentioning that Queen Sofia travelled to London with 11 suitcases mentioned in the Spanish press, 2 more than Letizia. I think some suitcases belonged to bodyguards, assistants or hairdressers.
I doubt Letizia decided alone who should attend the dinner for the visit of Charles and Camilla. Also what special contributions Isabel Preysler had to be invited for every single state dinner ? If JC likes to invite rich socialites, the Princes don't have to do the same. There are many more Spaniards from different sectors of the society who probably deserve more to be at the dinner than Isabel Preysler IMO. I remember she attended the state dinner for the President of Philippines (where she was born), she didn't attract that much attention, let alone upstaging Letizia.

I have to agree about Isabel Prysler, dont get the fascination with this woman (best dressed, best this, best that) at all. To see her at the Philippine State Dinner was very fitting but apart from that? I would try to invite people with more substance too.

Princess Letizia takes heat for clothes, again - National Royal News | Examiner.com
HRH Princess Letizia of Spain sure does take naturally to ruffling feathers. During Pope Benedict XVI’s recent visit to Spain the Princess was seen in outfits some are calling inappropriate.

I don't think the silly comments were originated form the Spanish press. Letizia's clothes was no different form Elena's. Whoever decided to write this article or decided to copy the story is really clueless about the protocols. Do they want to kill themselves after seeing so many women in tank tops, mini skirts or mini shorts kissing the Pope through out the events LOL :lol: ?

Last edited:
I read the same comments in a celebrity magazine in South America when Letizia attended the beatification of Blessed John Paul II in Rome. And it looks like the same went on in Compostela last visit of the Holy Father. If this is so inappropriate someone would have say something to the Princess.

Letizia has worn outfits a million times worse and the beige Varela suit was perfectly appropriate for a meeting with the Pope. There is a strict protocol when meeting with the Pope in Vatican but its a myth that there is a special protocol when receiving the Pope at home.

I think overall, Letizia is the one who is being critizised the most within the media out of the current CPs, mainly out of given circumstances that are long grown and are beyond her control. The beginning was very enthusiastic but in the meantime, reality has sunk in. What Letizia has achieved so far is fine, she has produced a heiress and a spare and has settled into her role that was created for her but is most likely behind her own (and the Royal House's) expectations. She didnt make the monarchy more secure (eg like Maxima in the Netherlands), is not being hailed by the local media (eg like Mary in Denmark) and is not being allowed a protagonist role and convince with her own personality (eg like MM in Norway). She didnt produce the much needed spark for the institution.

While I think she is doing a good job and what is expected of her (what might not meet her own expectations though), what is a plus, the pink press media fuss, critzism & rumours that is rather increasing than going away is somehow a minus, what leaves her in total as average. But average is not good enough to bring an institution forward that is struggling with a difficult past and a very difficult future.

I did'nt see anything wrong with what she wore to see the Pope.

She didnt make the monarchy more secure (eg like Maxima in the Netherlands), is not being hailed by the local media (eg like Mary in Denmark) and is not being allowed a protagonist role and convince with her own personality (eg like MM in Norway). She didnt produce the much needed spark for the institution.

While I think she is doing a good job and what is expected of her (what might not meet her own expectations though), what is a plus, the pink press media fuss, critzism & rumours that is rather increasing than going away is somehow a minus, what leaves her in total as average. But average is not good enough to bring an institution forward that is struggling with a difficult past and a very difficult future.

Why do you think any kind of spark is allowed by Zarzuela ? JC and his camp didn't even like his own son's (Felipe's) spark when he was ill, let alone the 'so called' spark from his DIL. Plus each country is different. If Letizia were given more prominent role as Maxima in Netherland, outshining her husband, sometimes walking in front of everyone, maybe it even made the monarchy less secure :cool:. I don't see how other commoner born royals would have been criticized less in Spain if they were on Letizia's position since lots of criticism were out of classists and sexists (ex. Jaime Penafiel) or their own political agenda (Republicanism).

Zarzuela pretty much allowed Jaime Penafiel criticizing Letizia freely with invalid datas (mostly rumors or lies) at the beginning (I think that was their mistake), now it has become a good business talking about her since anything (good or bad) related to her still sells. I don't know any other royal (maybe except for Kate) would have their bikini pictures sold for 300,000 Euros.

She is only wife of the heir, not on a position to bring the monarchy forward. As long as JC is on the throne, nobody (not even Felipe) can (or is allowed to) bring the monarchy forward other than JC himself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom