Queen Letizia and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:bang: I don't know how PL does it, she must have a mind and spine made of steel to withstand all the lies and rumors and hate that is directed her way. I strongly believe that her husband might now say anything to the press now, yet I strongly believe that in private, he is her strongest support. I bet they are just biding their time, waiting for what will eventually take place and then things will change in a huge way.......I sure hope so. I do so admire her, she is one strong independent intelligent lady and I hope KARMA comes back and really takes a huge bit out of the media in Spain, shuts them up for good.

My prayers to out to her to stay strong and always protect her daughters whose lives will not be happy if this continues.

How long will this continue..How long will the King/palace keep mum letting every stupid make mockery of the future Queen..
I know it serves two purposes..It always deflects attention from real scandals..and keeping quiet on these slanders will keep the media in good humour..
But this simply cannot go long. The Spain's king/Queen should once open their eyes and see how fiercely protective the other RFs are about their Crown Princesses. They are the most precious women for the RF, not these stupid Infantas. Cant they notice no royal house gives a damn for PR of younger kids like Martha Louise/Madeleine or for matter Anne..They are subtly pushed to the farthest corner possible, and the focus is ALWAYS and ALWAYS around the Crown Princesses. Because it is mere commonsense, their public image will affect monarchy's image for atleast the next 3 generations.
But sadly in Spain its always the Pss Of Asturia who comes last. And even if the King used a fraction of his 'clout' in Letizia's defence as much he used in Christina's case, Letizia's and in turn, the monarchy's image wouls have been far better in Spain..

For the Palms, during their good time, they never had problems seeing their kids constantly being photographed by the press, now the royal house threatened the press not to take pictures of their kids.

I think this particular case occurred when the children were photographed without their parents, what is against the law.
I think Elena has done a similar complaint before, when her children were photographed without her but with friends (who cannot be photographed without their parent's consent either).

why was she called a "pig"? Just because she did not let her daughters be photographed?

Is there any hue and cry in Spain about this?

This is worse then bullying! Satisfy my thirst or else I'll destroy you! What abominable people!

I hope the palace wakes up and does something. One the other hand there is the whole "give them enough rope to hang themselves". Sooner or later this hate will destroy the press itself, a point where people themselves will feel enough is enough.

why was she called a "pig"? Just because she did not let her daughters be photographed?

Is there any hue and cry in Spain about this?

This is worse then bullying! Satisfy my thirst or else I'll destroy you! What abominable people!

I hope the palace wakes up and does something. One the other hand there is the whole "give them enough rope to hang themselves". Sooner or later this hate will destroy the press itself, a point where people themselves will feel enough is enough.
The freedom in letting photographers enter their life like this make them exceed the limit in addressing the royal highness :ermm: why they did this?

Its a no brainer to critizise in connection with access to the infantas. No other CP couple show their kids as little as the Asturias couple. The only option to see the girls are in fact paparazzi shots, apart from Easter, the Mallorca outing, have I forgotten something? And every time, Letizia looks very tense with a fake smile, you can see that these outings are forced and dont come natural. And then you have the choreographed outings like Granada, where people can easily see the purpose. There are never any official photos on birthday occasions etc.

Stories like rejecting photos, any Spaniard will easily believe, true or not. Same goes with the subject of thinness or obsession with cosmetic procedures, people have eyes, they can see and draw their own conclusions. The cold & arrogant perception has been nurtured from day 1 too, there are certain features that can easily be allocated to Letizia if the powers that be decide to do it, because she gives plenty of ammunition herself. There are tons of pictures that document the change in pysical appearance, that show her tense, aloof, serious or somber, there has never been any credible warm interaction with her in-laws, and if you chose to focus on this image people will believe it. Why wouldnt they? It sounds too much like spin when stories come up like, no, she is so different in reality, so warm & caring etc, on what basis should people believe it when they see pictures day in day out that point to the opposite?

Letizia is certainly victim of the circumstances in Spain and unfortunately, her character or features do not go to her advantage. In other coutries, it would be as easy with certain CPs to drive a negative campaign against them but the media has no reason to do so. The power of picture is impossible to break, the image sticks, if those in charge decide to pursue a certain strategy and the media is in the same boat because they can make good money that way or see other advantages in the long run, there is only little that can be done.

It amazes me how even in this forum, we see deeply entrenched hate for Letizia. That her kids are not regularly pimped to the press is a millstone around her neck. But so are the occasions when they are photographed. Because those occasions are supposed "staged photocalls" like the Alhambra visit.

In summary, if somehow the photos of alhambra visit were not taken, then it would be Letizia's fault, her arrogance is on display.
If they are taken, it was a worthless photocall, which is again Letizia's fault.

What I do not understand is what are people expecting to see in these pictures that makes photos "staged" or not. Are they expecting kids to be screaming, throwing tantrums etc? Will only these kind of photos be authentic?

Finally why are we judging Letizia by a standard thatt would not even apply to us? Are our family photos taken during a public outing with friends and family not staged? Are we not usually on our good behavior when we out?

PS:

And what was choreographed about Alhambra? For the first time we saw the developing personality of little Sofia. She was animated, engaged with children of her age and appeared to have enjoyed their company. She may even have made a friend or two.
Now can you teach a little child to do this and have it appear all natural?

It really bothers me when I see how a narrative has been pre-established and no matter what the reality, the narrative is always the truth, and truth be damned. If the narrative is Letizia arranged a choreographed visit, then choreographed it is, despite what our eyes, our experience tells us!

Now I am fuming:bang:

Thankfully, I never watch this kind of rubbish TV (for the shake of mi mental health), but I´m reading on a Spanish forum that yesterday on Sálvame, the most disgusting yellow show which is aired on one of the main TV channels here (and with amazing ratings, which makes me feel sick :sick:), one of their so-called "journalist" was telling the story of Letizia, the Three Wise Men parade, the photos and so, and one of the women from the show started to shout that Letizia was a PIG.

I mean, she said that Letizia was a PIG. Literally. On one of the most famous TV stations. In front of millions of people. Without any consequences, because if Letizia, or the RH for that matter would even ask for an apology, they would be accused of not respecting the freedom of speech and so.

I´m writing this crap only to show the truth about the Spanish press to all those posters who come here every time I say that no other CP in any country is bashed half as hard as Letizia is. Now, tell me in which other monarchy country would a TV station dare to call their CP publicly "a pig". And then, I´ll stop saying that Mary, Mette Marit, Victoria or Maxima´s lifes aren´t a thousand times easier than Letizia´s.

And tell me even more. If you´re called a pig publicly on TV, without having the option not even of suing that person, but of asking for an apology nor defending yourself, would you be happy about exposing your daughters, the most precious thing you have on your life, to that jungle predators? Personally, if this would ever happen to me, I assure you I would take my daughters and leave this f****** country as soon as possible. I pity so much the infantitas, for all the unjustified hate they´re going to receive during their lifes, that sometimes I´m glad of the current situation of the monarchy just for them both. They will be a lot happier not being princesses.

And I´m very sorry for this long post, but I had to write it, I´m so angry right now.

Wow. I've always heard that the British press are one of the worst, but they seem quite tame compared to the Spanish press! I wonder why the Spanish press hate Letizia so much, as far as I'm aware she hasn't done anything that might make them feel this way. (I like Letizia, she's one of my favourite Spanish Royals and I feel sorry for her at the moment.) I'm also wondering why Zarzuela hasn't sued the show for this, or even if they know about it?

I feel sorry for the Infantas as well. I hope this doesn't happen to them in the future.

Imo we see the Infantas enough in the year. Maybe the Court could release birthday photos like some other RFs do?? But I believe that´s not the real problem here :ermm:

It amazes me how even in this forum, we see deeply entrenched hate for Letizia. That her kids are not regularly pimped to the press is a millstone around her neck. But so are the occasions when they are photographed. Because those occasions are supposed "staged photocalls" like the Alhambra visit.

Now I am fuming:bang:

Observations or criticisms shouldn't be seen as "deeply entrenched hatred" for Letizia.:flowers: I've never seen that here.

Observations or criticisms shouldn't be seen as "deeply entrenched hatred" for Letizia.:flowers: I've never seen that here.

I stand corrected, Emmily. Thanks.:flowers:

However, in my very personal and humble opinion, there is a strain of intense, unwilling to be entertain evidence to the contrary, that one often sees regarding Letizia.

I usually stay away but every once in a while, it gets under my skin and I respond, perhaps too passionately today.

Take for instance, another argument that has been expressed as reason for dislike of Letizia that has been presented repeatedly and recently on this thread. Argument that "she does not get along with her in-laws" and hence is ill-suited as Crown princess, is perceived as arrogant etc.

This argument has been presented almost from the beginning. The main backbone of this argument rested on frosty relations between Cristina and Felipe/Letizia. Every summer, every christmas, every easter etc, the sole focus was how Letizia does not get along with Cristina, is the reason behind the distance between Felipe and Cristina, thinks herself better than a royal born etc. Day in, day out, it was all Letizia fault and the rumors propagated ad- nauseam .

Yet we now know what was going on behind the scenes. The book on Inaki's corruption sheds further light on how early on Felipe and Inaki had a quarrel when Inaki asked Felipe to help him out financially with respect to paying for the mansion in Barcelona, how royal family owed it to him etc. We then have some of the emails Inaki sent around making sexual remarks about Letizia.

Given all the evidence, I have not seen one comment from critics of reflection, doubt, etc given the exposed reality. Instead it is ignored and next day we are back again to how Letizia does not get along with Cristina, how they were on the opposite ends of a family picture etc.
Inaki's sexual jokes on Letizia are no big deal, but Letizia not standing next to Cristina in a family picture is a big deal.
Not a single picture of Cristina interacting with little Leonor or Sofia is no big deal, but Letizia's pictures of her interacting warmly, playing with Cristina's kids is just for show, should be ignored, and we should still believe that something is wrong with Letizia and she does not make the effort to get along with her in-laws.​

To break the argument logically, we have the following:
King: As we have seen, he is the man of previous century, an alpha male, who is unwilling to give space to his heir, let alone an outsider who married into the family. There was never going to be a warm cuddly relationship between King and Felipe's bride, Letizia or no Letizia. The fact that Letizia had charisma was a mark against her (a potential Diana). Hence better keep her down and on unsecure footing, lest she rises to threaten him.

Queen: Letizia appears to have a good relationship with her
Queen's sister Irene: Good relationship. We have had some news reports on how Letizia used to take the girls to visit the Queen and her sister many times a week. Maybe she still does.

Elena and her kids: OK, I guess. We do have evidence that Letizia gets along very well with Elena's daughter. Once when Victoria was small, Elena and her husband were in US. Victoria had some sort of a fall or something and had to be taken to the doctor. It was Letizia who took charge and whom Elena called from US to go to Victoria and comfort her. We have seen recent evidence of this, this past summer when Victoria hugged Letizia warmly.

Cristina : Bad

Royal friends
Princess Cristina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies and her husband : Over the years, on formal and private occasions, on casual occasions such as movies, we have seen Felipe and Letizia together with this couple and their families. They appear to be close family friends. This despite the fact that this princess is also very close to Infanta Cristina.

Royal cousins : Children of JC's elder sister appear to have extremely rocky marriages and divorces. Hence there are few instances of family gatherings where there is a chance to see Letizia interacting with them. When we have seen her, like kids birthday parties etc, things seem to be good.

Son of JC's younger sister appears to lead a very private life. His sister however is often seen and appears to be closer to Elena.

So all in all, it all boils down to Cristina and JC. But more Cristina then anything else. And it is Letizia's fault.

Last edited:
JJkg, excellent post. I can't believe someone until now still blames the bad relation in the family on Letizia. About Letizia being cold and distance, there were more pictures of Letizia warmly greeting the public than anyone else in the family, how could she be cold and distance, on the contrary some of her in-laws who seem to live in cloud 9 to be warm and close ? LOL :lol:

Last edited:

I agree. People have their favorites and non-favorites among the CP's. Letizia is one of the more controversial ones for a variety of reasons but I don't think criticism necessarily equals hate for her.

BUT...calling her a "pig" does indeed equal hate. It's simply beyond the pale.
:sad:

I think this particular case occurred when the children were photographed without their parents, what is against the law.
I think Elena has done a similar complaint before, when her children were photographed without her but with friends (who cannot be photographed without their parent's consent either).

But those laws don't apply to the royal children who are on the line of the succession and are public figures. The same magazines can't publish pictures of children with famous parents without the consent of the parents, but this doesn't apply to the royal children either. During the good time, the Palms never had issues of seeing their children being photographed, suddenly Zarzuela needs to threaten the press to prevent the pictures ? :eek:. At the time of Elena's divorce, the press camped out of the school of her kids, Zarzuela did ask the press to give them some space, but I had never heard they threatened to sue the press. But Elena had never liked the press photographed her children, a few times she even lost her temper because of it.

Last edited:
I'm also wondering why Zarzuela hasn't sued the show for this, or even if they know about it?

Zarzuela needs to do something behind the scene, but suing such a trashy and vulgar show is really degrading themselves, I don't think they should do that.

Obviously Zarzuela is not now in a position to denounce anyone, they have enough problems ... is the eternal story, not interested in defending Letizia because then turn against everyone, so better continue attacking her.

And the closer they see a possible abdication get more nervous ... because Letizia today is an important part of a business that a few years ago was very lucrative and now not so much. The day Letizia is protected, it's over.

:flowers:
I agree. People have their favorites and non-favorites among the CP's. Letizia is one of the more controversial ones for a variety of reasons but I don't think criticism necessarily equals hate for her.

BUT...calling her a "pig" does indeed equal hate. It's simply beyond the pale.
:sad:

Yes, absolutely, but no one on the forum called her that. My point was that anytime a poster makes an observation or a criticism of Letizia (and I've made my share) it is taken as hatred for Letizia, and that simply isn't the case. I don't dislike her, and I don't think she is responsible in any way for the mess that the SRF is now in. Out of all the RF to marry into she married into the the most difficult. And that's being generous, because they've given her very little help. But I agree with DOM in that she makes herself an easy target. She's not perfect, just the like the rest of us aren't perfect.

Last edited:
:flowers:

But I agree with DOM in that she makes herself an easy target. She's not perfect, just the like the rest of us aren't perfect.

Right, nobody is perfect. Also no other Crown Princess is perfect. But: the difference here is the Press - and the lack of protection from the Royal Household. In other countries the press presents positive and approving reports and pics, they Show respect of their work and duty towards their Country and let them "live".... they are just critizising occasionally (CP Mary spending too much Money for Clothes, SP Mette-Marit not working enough, etc). On the Spanish side there seems to be a permanent "Letizia-bashing" with the Spanish Press and nobody is hindering them. That is the real difference and the real tragedy.

And I thought, being a former Journalist (i.e. "one of them") would help. :eek:. It seems, it doesn´t. What a shame.

BYe Bine

Bine, I thought Letizia being a former journalist would help too. I thought it would help her market herself and manage her public relations, and I especially believed it would give her a sense of security and supreme self-confidence in her Royal role.

I was wrong, wrong, wrong...on each count.:sad:

Bine, I thought Letizia being a former journalist would help too. I thought it would help her market herself and manage her public relations, and I especially believed it would give her a sense of security and supreme self-confidence in her Royal role.

I was wrong, wrong, wrong...on each count.:sad:

She is married, not just by herself. I think lots of her 'PR' or no 'PR' decisions were influenced by Felipe's usual 'no complain no explain' attitude. Perhaps Felipe didn't want a public rift with his father or sister (Cristina), or he thought as long as himself looked good, he didn't mind those rumors on his wife, at the end of the day, as long as he is on the top of the game, those rumors on his wife won't matter much (that is also true).
I don't see her lacking security or confidence in her role, she had always doing very well in her own acts. It was more of her in-laws who have been clinging to the throne, wouldn't share. It's hardly a surprise, when JC and Sofia first came to the throne, the kids were very small, they wouldn't let Infanta Pilar have a role either, it has always been all about themselves. This week, JC is coming back to work, the rest of the family all step aside :lol:.

I completely desagree about Letizia "making herself an easy target". When you read all the silly things (many of them even false) that the Spanish press tells about her, it´s not difficult to realize that they could easily find faults in any other CP which would be deserver of a similar level of hate on their ill minds. :rolleyes:

It´s only that in other countries the press seems to have common sense, or be respectful or, in some cases, they have decided that their real bussiness is not bashing the princess, but turning her around the quintessence of everything.

Spanish case is unique, as I´ve always said here.

I´m not saying she´s flawless and never deserves some critics. Of course she does. But the amount of criticism she receives is for the most part just ridiculous.

Last edited:
I completely desagree about Letizia "making herself an easy target". When you read all the silly things (many of them even false) that the Spanish press tells about her, it´s not difficult to realize that they could easily find faults in any other CP which would be deserver of a similar level of hate on their ill minds. :rolleyes:

It´s only that in other countries the press seems to have common sense, or be respectful or, in some cases, they have decided that their real bussiness is not bashing the princess, but turning her around the quintessence of everything.

Spanish case is unique, as I´ve always said here.

I´m not saying she´s flawless and never deserves some critics. Of course she does. But the amount of criticism she receives is for the most part just ridiculous.

I'm quite shocked at how disrespectful certain elements of the Spanish media are,especially towards Letizia.

I'm quite shocked at how disrespectful certain elements of the Spanish media are,especially towards Letizia.
To be honest, they´re disrespectful towards everybody. But celebs at least have the option of suing some media and charging them with defamation. Royals can´t.

It was not necessary to wait long ... bad polls for the King, new rumors of abdication, imputation of Infanta Cristina... and always the same gossips have already begun their campaign against Letizia and her terrible marriage crisis.

Marisa M. Blázquez, sobre los Príncipes: "Cada uno está haciendo su vida, pero como Príncipes, van a seguir con su labor" - corazón - Ver vídeo online EL PROGRAMA DE ANA ROSA

"They are leading separate lives, but as princes, they will continue with their work"

Honestly, even if it was true, why would anyone in Spain care. I mean, that is the way JC and Sofia have been carrying on for over 3 decades.

Duke because Letizia is a unprotected commoner, the Prince married her for love and some sectors have never accepted or will accepted her and do and say everything possible to get rid of her.

It seems that the act of the Queen and Princess together yesterday was "the straw that broke the camel" to unnerve some.

Talking to people that have known Felipe for years, I don't believe all the tales. Like all marriages they go through uneasy times [at least the rest of the world's marriages are not on first page of media] Felipe was the one that "ran" after Letizia and married her. She did not need him to have a complete life.

I have always liked Felipe, but now have found myself seeing him in different light. I am fast loosing all respect for him for not publically protecting his wife. If he was a man instead of fast becoming a wimp, he would stand firm against his turgid father, mother and sister and make it known to media what he feels.

I personally feel that the only thing that can save Spain is the fast demise of the King

Last edited:
I have seen more pictures or tweets (almost weekly) of them going out to dinner, drinks or movies than any other royal couple, so they were supposed to argue in front of his friend's house before a Christmas party (any evidence of that ?), so they lived separate lives because they couldn't get along LOL :lol:.

I guess now only the rumors of marital crisis or divorce might be (only might e) able to divert the attention away from JC's health problem, low popularity, Cristina's imputation. Letizia not allowing paparazzi taking pictures of her daughters didn't ring a bell in public (who cares ?) no matter how the TV network tried.

Why post all the trashy gossips here ? Some were not even from newspapers or magazines, were from online websites. I don't see many about the other royals on this board.

Last edited:
You'll find 'trashy gossips' all over this board, its not exclusive for Letizia, Mette-Marit & Haakon being the latest example. Its the old discussion about the 'credible source', I am not saying that Vanitatis is the most credible source on this planet but even 'serious' newspapers like El Mundo or El Pais are printing those stories, having different motivations, I guess. Everybody is free to believe what they want anyway. I think this forum is very civil when talking about royals, including Letizia, there are far more trashy forums out there than this one.

Back
Top Bottom