Queen Letizia and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vanity Fair in Spain is quite sensationalist and likes to cause controversy, everything is for sale. One day they publish a story of Corinna and two months after another where they defend the king, a month interviewing an important Spanish businessman defending Urdangarín and two months later bring new data of Noos case.

Reading of Vanitatis is as always quite partial for their obsession against Letizia... This is the text of the web of Vanity Fair...

Princesa Letizia: hablan sus amigos y enemigos | Vanity Fair

The bottom line of the article is that Letizia is not popular or polarizes/is controversial, what was the case from the beginning, whats new.

Its only in Spain that the gossip press focusses on making money on bad stories, when it comes to royals. In Britain its overall surgary, even though the Cambridges hide their private life completely, same in other countries like Sweden, Denmark, Dutch etc. People prefer to see a happy couple as a family with dog etc therefore sugar is the market there. Too bad the girls are growing up in that downward spiral, compared to their peers.

Duke, I think it has something more interesting.

That the most ancient and noble snob has never accepted Letizia is not new... that sensationalist press has crushed her to make money either. And when a person is always in the news, at the end there are a lot of diferent opinions.

Controversial opinions are of a nobleman, who is a historian and seems to like the limelight and board members of non-ruling monarchies. Surprisingly it is the representative in Spain of the order chaired by the Duke of Castro... when the Spanish royal family has always supported the Infante Carlos. As his comments are the most negative, they will have the most impact.

But it also shows something that is usually silent in Spain, Letizia has been a victim of a way to manage the Royal House. What happened in the last two years, is a result of errors, ways of doing things that take years dragging... but the press tends to attack the weak, because if the error is not huge (Botswana) the press will always apologize the decisions of the King.

'Unlike the Queen, she wants a role.'.

What's wrong with it ? Which century are we in ? Zarzuela and a certain sector of the press are totally sexist and classist.

I don't think Sofia doesn't have a role either. She has her role at least in her own 'territory'. She pretty much does what she wants. Letizia doesn't even have her own 'territory'. JC and grey men have never treated her like the crown princess.

Last edited:
its news to me that the Queen doesnt have a role?! she is as conscious of her role as other Queens, plus not giving any of her own glory to her DIL.

Queen Sofia has her own team in the Palace, as the King and Prince Felipe... Princess Letizia does not.

Queen Sofía has her own foundation for years from which she collaborates on many projects... and is honorary president of many organizations. Princess Letizia has no foundation and is also not involved in the Queen foundation (although according to her status as a future queen she will inherit the presidency). The Royal House has just accepted that Letizia has one permanent honorary president, the Association Against Cancer.

There are many ignorant people who write or speak, but just repeats stereotypes created by the media ... that often have little relation to reality.

'Unlike the Queen, she wants a role.'.

What's wrong with it ? Which century are we in ? Zarzuela and a certain sector of the press are totally sexist and classist.

I don't think Sofia doesn't have a role either. She has her role at least in her own 'territory'. She pretty much does what she wants. Letizia doesn't even have her own 'territory'. JC and grey men have never treated her like the crown princess.

She does so well when she is on her own. She should have a "role." And she should be supported the family and not just her husband.

For all the criticism about the articles in question, isn't there some truth to what they say? You yourself say that "JC and grey men have never treated her like the crown princess." isn't that what the article is basically saying?

She does so well when she is on her own. She should have a "role." And she should be supported the family and not just her husband.

For all the criticism about the articles in question, isn't there some truth to what they say? You yourself say that "JC and grey men have never treated her like the crown princess." isn't that what the article is basically saying?

I am still shocked, when I see the difference between the Spanish CP and the ones from the other reigning European Houses. And in NO OTHER RF there is such a COMPLETE LACK of Support than in Spain - from the king to his Daugther-in-Law. And it think, this is the worst Thing, the king could do. Because it damages the future of the monarchy more than a trip to Botswana or another money-stealing SiL, who is far away from the line of the throne.

And it is HIS fault. He could have changed everything with his behaviour to protect her DiL and the Future of the Spanish Monarchy. He does not. Nothing to be proud of, your Majesty.

Bye Bine

But the article was criticizing Letizia for wanting a role that not even Sofia had. Like Lula said that was completely false and BS. Sofia has a role like any other queen, she has a whole department to support her, her department is probably bigger than Felipe's, whether she is hands on or hands off, it's her own decision, nothing to do with Letizia's situation in Zarzuela.
No matter how the author tried to twist it to become Letizia's fault, at the end it still comes back to 'JC and grey men don't want to give her a role, have never treated her like the crown princess', because that's a fact IMO.

I wonder who was behind this article. It certainly distracts the stories of whether Cristina would be imputed (the decision was supposed around this time until the judge delayed it to Jan) and Inaki's business partner using a Canadian publisher to publish a book talking about JC's support/involvement in Inaki's business even after Inaki left Noos.

I was able to read the full article.

The summary that the magazine has published, and interpretations of tabloid media, have merely reproduced the two phrases most likely to cause controversy (the conservative noble and the supposed friend of the king) and capture the attention to sell more.

However, the overall reportage is more geared to express opinions as several have given here. When you read it completely, the idea is that the Princess can and want to do more, but the royal house stuck in the past and internal wars and problems does not give her that opportunity. Even they exemplified with other princesses to show that today the role of the consorts is more active.

Of course Letizia should have a role, she should have gotten it already in 2004. IMO the problem is that over the years people have started to believe that it is Letizia's fault, like 'casareal will have good reasons for treating Letizia the way they are treating her'. Even more so as Felipe is unable to change the situation, rather bear it and grin instead of standing up for her. The King is only interested in himself and so is the Queen. She may be smiling all along and, especially in the beginning, posing with her DIL for 'we get along so well' pictures but I believe there is a lot of calculation behind it. Sofia too has been keeping Letizia on a very short leash, only interested in protecting her own position (and her daughters') instead of seriously trying to pave the way for her own successor as consort.

DofM;
That is great insight into this very mean spirited family. I have often wondered about QS over the years and more so with PL. It seems this family does not want anyone in their picture except themselves. They will be in for a real shock if the royal family crumbles to the dust like so many have. I just don't get the Spanish people, I have friends that live in Spain and none of them like JC, wife or children. I have heard a few good things about PF and his family and from all that I have seen over the years, he seems to be a very strong family man who really cares for his wife and children. I will say that JC strongly disgust me, he is a disgrace to the history of Spain as is his daughter Christina. Egos way out of control over there.

Duke, I think one of the big keys is that Prince Felipe does not have independence or protection... the king has the power over money, over workers ... there is no law that says the role of the prince, which are his obligations and privileges... while all that no change he has no choice but obey the king.

I think it's something they have had to take, the king will not give them any independence ... and the only option is to wait. Rebellion is useless because they will not get anything.

Of course Letizia should have a role, she should have gotten it already in 2004. IMO the problem is that over the years people have started to believe that it is Letizia's fault, like 'casareal will have good reasons for treating Letizia the way they are treating her'. Even more so as Felipe is unable to change the situation, rather bear it and grin instead of standing up for her. The King is only interested in himself and so is the Queen. She may be smiling all along and, especially in the beginning, posing with her DIL for 'we get along so well' pictures but I believe there is a lot of calculation behind it. Sofia too has been keeping Letizia on a very short leash, only interested in protecting her own position (and her daughters') instead of seriously trying to pave the way for her own successor as consort.

And that's very evident in the video that someone posted a short time ago of Sofia telling her DIL where to stand, etc.

I don't think any of this reflects negatively on Letizia. Only on the Queen and King.

But the article was criticizing Letizia for wanting a role that not even Sofia had. Like Lula said that was completely false and BS. Sofia has a role like any other queen, she has a whole department to support her, her department is probably bigger than Felipe's, whether she is hands on or hands off, it's her own decision, nothing to do with Letizia's situation in Zarzuela.
No matter how the author tried to twist it to become Letizia's fault, at the end it still comes back to 'JC and grey men don't want to give her a role, have never treated her like the crown princess', because that's a fact IMO.

Google translation and the other translation services are SO horrible. So understand that when I comment on this article I'm reading a bad translation of it. It just didn't appear negative towards Letizia to me. It appeared to cast a bad light on the people who are pulling the strings, and that's her in-laws. Thanks donnak:flowers:

Duke, I think one of the big keys is that Prince Felipe does not have independence or protection... the king has the power over money, over workers ... there is no law that says the role of the prince, which are his obligations and privileges... while all that no change he has no choice but obey the king.

I think it's something they have had to take, the king will not give them any independence ... and the only option is to wait. Rebellion is useless because they will not get anything.

It must be hurtful for Felipe that he - or his wife - doesnt even have protection from his mother, despite all the eversmiling photos. I understand that things are difficult with the King, its almost natural to clash with him, even more so as they are character opposites. Felipe is much like is mother and clearly a mama's boy - yet his mother supports the King's short leash policy when it comes down to Letizia, even though she could do differently. We've seen the Queen going openly against the King, eg her controversial biography, trip to Washington, not keeping away from the Palmas, travelling where and when she wants ... she could have done a lot more for her DIL than superficial posing 'all is well, we are complices' to keep her image as caring MIL, yet she doesnt and has never done. Sofia is friendly as long as nobody oversteps the boundaries she has set for her own position within the royal household, not much different from JC, really.

I've said it many times. Queen Sofia lives locked in Palace, her attitude to the Urdangarin case has only proved how little she is connected with reality.

She is also a conservative woman, and is also conservative the team that surrounds her... so it would not surprise me that she thinks that the role of a woman is her husband and children. In addition, for employees of the queen and the infantas, Letizia is a threat.

I do not know who is responsible, but the agenda of the last month has been focused on increasing acts of the queen and cut princess Letizia, so that at the end of the year the Queen had more acts than the Princess. They did the same before summer, and have done so on other occasions.

What a horribbly sad Situation for the Princes of Asturias, so they really have to wait until the "biological solution" will solve everything. I really, really hope, that they will have a Plan for the time of their reign to "renovate" the dusted structures in the RF... will for sure help dramatically to get a new relationship with the Spanish People.
Bye Bine

It basically says Letizia shouted at Felipe on the street and apparently was very angry.... They was coming home from a party and they went out the car in a quiet upper-middle class residential area.

It basically says Letizia shouted at Felipe on the street and apparently was very angry.... They was coming home from a party and they went out the car in a quiet upper-middle class residential area.

Thanks. If it is true is sad the couple having problems, i hope it is nothing serious.

Thanks. If it is true is sad the couple having problems, i hope it is nothing serious.

I'd very much doubt Letizia would behave like this in public and I'm taking the entire 'story' with a pinch of salt!

I hope so but maybe it's just pure gossip or an argue between husband and wife like other, that was exaggerated

I don't believe it for a moment, this is probably the gray men in suits just trying to destroy PL as they always are trying to do. PL has more true character in her tiny fingers then the rest of the royal family, she is hard working and always seems to really put forth everything that she can when working. I get so tired of the haters trying to tear her down, and if they where having a disagreement, so what.........all married couples disagree on something at one time or another.....that I sure do know for sure!

I don't believe it for a moment, this is probably the gray men in suits just trying to destroy PL as they always are trying to do. PL has more true character in her tiny fingers then the rest of the royal family, she is hard working and always seems to really put forth everything that she can when working. I get so tired of the haters trying to tear her down, and if they where having a disagreement, so what.........all married couples disagree on something at one time or another.....that I sure do know for sure!
I fully agree!!!

Back
Top Bottom