Proclamation of King Felipe VI: June 19, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First official events

King Felipe

Office with the Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy Brey
Zarzuela Palace

King Felipe and Queen Letizia

Meeting with representatives of associations and foundations of victims of terrorism
Zurbano Palace

I am a little behind, watching the ceremony now, I LOVE the closeness of this family. Queen Letizia is so loving with her husband and girls. I love the way she continued to reassure both Princesses during the entire event. I love this family!!

Princess (now Queen) Letizia has been criticized though in the past for being too protective of her daughters and shielding them too much from public events.

I know that is a controversial topic, but I personally prefer the way princess Victoria and prince Daniel for example are raising princess Estelle. By the time she is the same age as Leonor is now, she will be so used to public ceremonies that it will have become second nature to her. Even princess Catharina-Amalia or princess Elisabeth of Belgium seem more at ease with public attention than infanta (now princess) Leonor.

And yet both girls were great today and seemed quite comfortable (but not totally polished). Plus, what I liked was that they felt comfortable with their parents as parents-they could look at mom with questions, and both F and L gave them little looks of love and encouragement.

IMO they've pursued a different strategy than V and D because of the nature of the press in Spain.

What a great occasion, this is one of my best royal-watching experiences. The family performed exceptionally well. Felipe's speech was great. Letizia being the supportive consort she is. The girls were very well behaved. It's a very touch moment when they all greeted the people from balcony/the family listened to the anthem on podium. Wonderful.

I thought it was wonderful how loving and supportive they seemed of each other, the whole family. Letizia touching Leonors cheek, Felipes speech about his mother, Felipe and Letizia holding hands.

Even princess Catharina-Amalia or princess Elisabeth of Belgium seem more at ease with public attention than infanta (now princess) Leonor.

If i'm not mistaken Amalia is 2 years older and Elisabeth 4 years older than Leonor...at that age, that's quite an age-gap. I'm sure both spanish princesses will start to participate more in public events now their parents are K&Q, just like in the NL..

Everything done so Nice & very Touching moments , Queen Letiza looks so elegant very happy & King Felip looks so King & truly nervous , it must be difficult for him too to taking his father place while his father beside him ,, I touched a real hidden sadness on Queen Sophia face , The two little princesses looks great , Very Nice cornoation ceremony
And the Nice thing the Spanish People celebrating & looks happy for their New King
Wish all the Best for Spain ^_^

What hit me most was when they were waiting to get in the cars and it seems the King and Queens roles took a backseat for a moment and they were just Dad and Mom when the girls came out. Especially Letizia, walking them to their care and making sure they were okay. Very touching.

That scene got to me as well and actually had me laughing. The cars were ready, the King was waiting on the steps almost pacing and even looking at his watch once but there was no sign of the rest of the family. Of course, I don't know what was really going on but I could picture it in my head. Family is going somewhere - Dad is ready to go - Mom is in the house making sure the kids all go the the bathroom before they leave. I can't tell you how many times that played out in my own childhood - only my Dad would have been sitting in the car! No matter how grand - somethings never change.

That scene got to me as well and actually had me laughing. The cars were ready, the King was waiting on the steps almost pacing and even looking at his watch once but there was no sign of the rest of the family. Of course, I don't know what was really going on but I could picture it in my head. Family is going somewhere - Dad is ready to go - Mom is in the house making sure the kids all go the the bathroom before they leave. I can't tell you how many times that played out in my own childhood - only my Dad would have been sitting in the car! No matter how grand - somethings never change.

Ha!! And if you were a little later coming out my Dad would have pulled the car halfway down the driveway!! I know that feeling well. Of course I have inherited this trait. I'm the one waiting on my husband especially on Sunday mornings.

They are the perfect family! I'm astonished by the beautiful pictures and the love between them. I just wish the girls had been a bit older!
Good luck to the new King & Queen! :flowers:

Translated speech:
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.casareal.es%2FES%2FActividades%2FPaginas%2Factividades_discursos_detalle.aspx%3Fdata%3D5359&edit-text=&act=url

At home, we thought that the speech was very good, and I personally think that the ending was brilliant. Felipe delivered it so well, He really was feeling those words:

"Cervantes said in Don Quixote: A man is not more than another unless he does more than another.

I feel proud of the Spaniards, and nothing would honor me more than, with my daily work and effort, the Spaniards could be proud of their new King"
And he ended saying "Thank you" in all the Spanish languages: Castilian, Catalan, Galician and Basque :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
I've been busy for most of today so didn't get a chance to watch the ceremony live, although I have seen clips of it from the links lula provided. I'll try and watch the full ceremony when I have more time on my hands.

I was pleased to see that there was a lot of support for the new King and Queen. The moment when Felipe stood up in the car and the crowds started clapping and cheering made me smile. I don't think I have a favourite photo from the event. I liked how there were a lot of warm moments between the family and it was quite touching to see the photos of Juan Carlos and Felipe embracing each other.

And Leonor and Sofia were of course adorable, as always. I guess I can't really refer to them as the Two Infantas any more, since Leonor is now a Princess. This may be just me, but I thought the balcony appearance might have been a little overwhelming for her (Leonor). That's understandable though, as most probably knows that she will be next. Also, I do believe that it's their first appearance on the balcony, so Leonor wouldn't be used to the noises or feeling of standing up high.

I wonder where Victoria Federica was. I understand that she goes to boarding school in England, although it would've been nice if she could be taken out of school for today. After all, it is her uncle's coronation, which is a very special, memorable and joyous event. I'm also more curious about her absence since her brother Felipe Frolian was there.

Some brilliant images from PPE

PPE Agency

A truly wonderful, emotional day and great, great pictures. !! :flowers:

I love this couple and think that they will do a superb job. I have sometimes seen Letizia as a reluctant royal. Now, I'm getting a strong vibe (although it is only from the pictures) that she is raring to go and is more than ready and willing to embrace the role that she has undertaken.

I wanted to give Queen Sofia a hug. How must she have felt as she watched Felipe take on the mantle of King. ? Proud, happy, sad (that an era for her had ended). ?

Long live The King. !! :flowers::flowers:

I wonder where Victoria Federica was. I understand that she goes to boarding school in England, although it would've been nice if she could be taken out of school for today. After all, it is her uncle's coronation, which is a very special, memorable and joyous event. I'm also more curious about her absence since her brother Felipe Frolian was there.

Her Excellency Doña Victoria is in a Roman Catholic boarding school in England,perhaps its exam time or her parents just decided not to take her out of school midweek and fly her over to Spain.

I really liked the Proclamation. Very touching. However, I would prefer some kind of a pompous, lavish coronation ;)

They are lovely and sweet family. Girls looked a bit scared, well they have get used to public events.

Also, Letizia should have wore a longer dress.

Overall, I really enjoyed it! Madrid is a beautiful city! :flowers:

so exciting, what a day for felipe and letizia! they must be thrilled, but surely they are also a bit nervous. felipe looks like he will make a great king, although i'm hoping he doesn't become as megalomanic as his father as time goes by...

leonor and sofia are adorable, so well behaved and so cute. i loved their little matching dresses although sofia's didn't fit very well. letizia obviousl looked amazing in that dress and coat. just perfect.

the dresses were made by two ladies from where letizia comes from, oviedo. she got introduced to them by a friend from her from oviedo. the article below explains that letizia's directions were that the dresses had to be simple and had to have french sleeves and that "she had to have them on tuesday".

Leonor y Sof?a, vestidas por dos modistas asturianas | Espa?a | EL MUNDO

After receiving the sash the King went onto kiss his family and then Infanta Elena curtsied and Felipe de Marichalar bowed to him ..
Btw, Leonor and Sofia are looking very cute.

elena and her family are really quite something, they are all so prim and proper! i also really liked that jaime de marichalar was invited, even though him and elena are divorced, jaime is certainly very appreciated in the family (clearly more than iñaki, although that's not hard to beat!)

some fun anecdotes of the ceremony:

in this video, in order of appearance:

Letizia, madre adem?s de Reina | Espa?a | EL MUNDO

-letizia strokes felipe as they get into the car...
-felipe looking sideways to his daughters to check they were behaving...
-felipe moving his hands down to tell the audience to stop clapping for him during the standing ovation...
-standing ovation for sofia..
-sofia blowing a kiss to his son...
-letizia calming leonor down telling her to be patient for a bit longer and that the event would be done soon...
-letizia telling her daughters who the people at the event were..
-letizia getting confused over who got in the car first: her or felipe, he tells her to go first...
-

It was lovely. I am often not a fan of Letizia, as she seems cold and indifferent, but I saw the wonderful love she has for her husband and that is wonderful. They are all charming and I wish them the best.

I'd imagine a good nights sleep is in order for all at Zarzuela tonight!

Well, what a day it has been! Thank you everyone for all the wonderful links and pictures and comments etc!
Spain has provided us all with a magnificent event to watch and considering the austerity element, there was enough pomp and ceremony that any country should be proud of! Everything done so well and correctly.
King Felipe made an inspirational, heartfelt speech that struck a chord on so many levels.
I am convinced that a new era of prosperity has arrived for Spain and not just because there is a new king!
Viva El Rey!

Thank you for this!! I was hoping there would be a professional, so to speak, translation of HIs Majesty's speech into English and very glad that came true.

I did get up early (3am EST) to watch it all and thought it a very dignified and solemnly joyful ceremony, which considering Spain is still deeply in trouble economically wise, was the perfect mood and way to go for today.. Just enough pomp and pageantry to make it a Royal occasion, but also enough restraint, it didn't feel like a slap in the face to a People who are struggling just to make it through each day due to the on going economic mess. I hope that makes sense, but quite the tight rope walk had to take place today and IMO was done beautifully.

I loved how Letitzia kept an eye on her girls and also explaining to them what was going on and/or who they were meeting. My Goodness those young ladies did so very, very well today, didn't they? At times overwhelmed, but who can blame them for that. Both Leonor and Sofia behaved beautifully today and both their Parents and Grandparents must just be bursting w/pride. :)

You know what had me choked up today and blinking back tears? A moment I haven't seen mentioned yet. It was when Infanta Elena curtsied to His Majesty the King during the Military Installation Ceremony at the Palace. He may now be her King, but in her eyes, he'll always be her Baby Brother and you could clearly see and feel the emotion of the moment on her face.

Oh...And how about that view from the Balcony!?! I don't remember ever seeing a Royal Balcony appearance where there was/were cameras allowed to show us what it's like from the POV the Royals have. Spectacular it was too.

Many thanks to one and all who have found and shared links to the events of the last few days. Mucho Gracias!! :) :) :)

Long Live King Felipe VI of Spain!! Long May He Reign!!

Back
Top Bottom