Proclamation of King Felipe VI: June 19, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was wondering where Victoria was and then I read she's away at school - seemed so odd she was not there.

I'm only just catching up with it all, but what a lovely day. Some of the notable things to me were: Felipe's wonderful speech; seeing the sweet interactions between Felipe, Letizia, and their daughters - I though that Letizia in particular seemed to make sure that her husband and her children were as relaxed as could be; and I was very pleasantly surprised at the size of the crowds. I was afraid that there wouldn't be many people, especially as the route they traveled in the car was a bit long.

Watching the videos also made me want to go back to Madrid again - I haven't been there in a few years, and I'd forgotten how pretty it is, especially on such a lovely, sunny day.

I loved the red and yellow collar of Letizia's jacket I'm also glad she dressed simply - she did nothing to draw attention away from the King by making any fashion statements.

Sofia and Elena looked marvelous as well. The girls were lovely - I particularly liked the color of little Sofia's dress and her headband.

This is the new flag and shield of King Philip VI

Inauguration of King Felipe

NDKQM8R.jpg

Attachments

• 10478203_312608745562155_7288913756580233095_n.jpg
    10478203_312608745562155_7288913756580233095_n.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 161
I wonder if tomorrow we have official photos of Felipe and Letizia?

The event was lovely. Unveiled the whole richness of Spanish monarchist tradition. I am sure the number of 'republicans' will be smaller tomorrow morning.. How can one light-heartedly give away this beauty..?

Does anyone know/can report how the event was attended in Barcelona/Catalonia? Were people proudly watching as in the rest of the country? Or indifferent? I believe today was one of those moments that brings out the most royalist reflections even in non-sympathizers necessarily..

The governors of Catalonia, Galatia and Basque country were sneering during HM Felipe's speech. Very disrespectful.

:previous:

Well, at least they were there. In the Netherlands various republican MP's refused to attend the ceremony.

Last edited:
The governors of Catalonia, Galatia and Basque country were sneering during HM Felipe's speech. Very disrespectful.

Disrespectful and also un-democratic! If ever these governors were to see independence in their regions or Spain become a republic, they would expect and hope for everyone to show respect for those situations. Perhaps they should read through King Felipe's speech once again and take in what he said and act with some more grace and pragmatism!

:previous: They certainly should. The media reported yesterday that the protraits were made last week and I was expecting them today. They have to remplace the portraits of Juan Carlos and Sofia for the ones of Felipe and Letizia in every public building in Spain, so they shouldn last much longer.

A real sad beginning for the new constitutional King of Spain Felipe VI who did not attend Mass before the ceremony of becoming the new Sovereign of a country known for its Catholic tradition. He did not swear his oath on the Bible and he did not mention in his speech anything about the Catholic heritage of Spain, anything about the Catholic faith of the majority of the Spanish and he avoided mentioning anything about the positive role of the Church in the life of Spain. He did not ask for God's blessing for his reign and he did not want to be linked in any way with the faith of his ancestors and of his country. The Spanish Catholics must certainly reflect on the behaviour of this Head of State who abandoned the Catholic traditions of his House and of his own people

Very childish of them,they'd have proved a better point by not attending the ceremony.

A real sad beginning for the new constitutional King of Spain Felipe VI who did not attend Mass before the ceremony of becoming the new Sovereign of a country known for its Catholic tradition. He did not swear his oath on the Bible and he did not mention in his speech anything about the Catholic heritage of Spain, anything about the Catholic faith of the majority of the Spanish and he avoided mentioning anything about the positive role of the Church in the life of Spain. He did not ask for God's blessing for his reign and he did not want to be linked in any way with the faith of his ancestors and of his country. The Spanish Catholics must certainly reflect on the behaviour of this Head of State who abandoned the Catholic traditions of his House and of his own people
Yep, what an atheist king he is. That is why his first official visit abroad will be to the Vatican, to show everybody how disrespectful he is towards the Catholic Faith :p

Well, I am sure most Spaniards didn't miss it. Only 13% of the Spanish catholics (71,7% of the total population in 2011) go to mass on a regular basis.

Spain – church attendance « Via Integra

If he had highlighted the positive role, I suppose he should also have highlighted the negative role of the church in Spain. So I am glad that he avoided the issue all together.

Last edited:
And why did he avoided to swear on the Bible?

He avoided yesterday anything linked with the Catholic faith. None of his ancestors would have done the same.

A really sad beginning for this "lay" Head of State.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Because he must swear over the Constitution. The Constitution itself says so.

He basically swears that he will respect it and will reign following its principles.

And why did he avoided to swear on the Bible?

Based on your posts I understand that Catholicism is very important to you. Key word you. And that is certainly your right. And yet you don't know Felipe's relationship with God. You might assume it because what you interpret to be his lack of faith based on these actions. Don't read too much into it because unless you have had a personal conversation with him, you really don't know of his relationship with God, or why he choose note to swear on the Bible, not to have a mass, etc.

Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

I am assuming that unlike Queen Elizabeth II he is not the head of Church, that would be the Pope correct?

Last edited:
I saw the whole Proclamation on Belgian TV. GREAT ROYAL EVENT and such a lot of people when they were on the balcony.
What a great Son for his Father the former King and his Mother the Dowager Queen. There was really love and since the beginning of his Childhood.
What a difference of what is happening now in Belgium actually.

I saw the whole Proclamation on Belgian TV. GREAT ROYAL EVENT and such a lot of people when they were on the balcony.
What a great Son for his Father the former King and his Mother the Dowager Queen. There was really love and since the beginning of his Childhood.
What a difference of what is happening now in Belgium actually.

Queen Sofia is not a Dowager Queen,her husband is still alive ;)

What about popular feeling in those areas, and specifically Catalonia?
Did people watch and care -in their homes, cafes, congregations..? Was there any mass screening, or general feeling of pride/sympathy to Felipe?

Poor Pipe, that photo is everywhere today. He looks so done with everything :lol:

Back
Top Bottom