Proclamation of Felipe VI; Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The King of Spain holds the title Catholic Majesty, but by a 1987 decree he does not use it, instead preferring His Majesty. Catholic Majesty is one of the traditional titles of the King of Spain.

We can address him with every historic, dynastic or pretended title we want but of course the only official style is which is used in all Acts, Decrees, Orders and Treaties as published in the Boletín Oficial del Estado. We can even call him King of Jerusalem, if we like. But the only official used title is Rey de España, eventually with the prefix Su Majestad.

:lol:

Is it known if there will be an appearance at the Balcony of the Royal Palace.. It could be either after the abdication like in the Netherlands so that Juan Carlos could present Felipe as the new King or after the Ceremony in the Parliament.

I assume the children will be there for part of the ceremonies?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Royals Community mobile app

I think so to, Leonor and Sofia will be there for sure. I have doubts about Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina's children, but perhaps they'll be there, it's a very important event.

I assume the children will be there for part of the ceremonies?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Royals Community mobile app
Sure at the Parliament ceremony.

Don´t know about the abdication, though.

Exactly. And the monarchy IS about tradition. Kings were always consecrated by some ecclesiastical ritual. If they can't do that now, at least attending a mass before the event would not hurt.

Exactly. At least, there are still people who can understand it.

The SRF could opt for a private Mass to celebrate this day.

And people are still going on with the mass... time to move on, there won't be any. Many of us already said so, and explained why.

I believe both girls should attend the inauguration.
And I'd also like to see Felipe's sisters by his side on that important day.

Maybe there is no Statement of the Catholic Bishops about the fact there will no Mass but the Spanish Catholic understood their King does not want to ask for God's blessing for his reign and he does not want to be considered as a Catholic King. It is time for the Spanish Catholics to think if they should continue to support such a King.

Maybe there is no Statement of the Catholic Bishops about the fact there will no Mass but the Spanish Catholic understood their King does not want to ask for God's blessing for his reign and he does not want to be considered as a Catholic King. It is time for the Spanish Catholics to think if they should continue to support such a King.

As the majority of Spanish Catholics are non-practicing (or seldom-practicing), I doubt there would be much of a fuss. Some of the native Spaniards on here I'm sure could provide better insight, but based on what I've been hearing about regarding the abdication, and based on my own experiences in Spain, it seems to me that having or not having a mass is probably not among the forefront of most people's concerns.

Then, since the majority of the Spanish population is not practicing Catholic, I guess it´s way smarter from the new King pleasing them instead of the deeply religious grups.

So, still well done :lol:

I'm a practicing Catholic and I don't think King Felipe VI will need a public Mass to thank God for his ascension. He can thank God alone at the privacy of his room. Faith is not a question exihibition.

Its 2014 & not 1814,most ordinary Spaniard have much greater matters to worry about and I haven't seen any evidence of a public outcry!

Its 2014 & not 1814,most ordinary Spaniard have much greater matters to worry about and I haven't seen any evidence of a public outcry!
Exactly. I´ve been raised Catholic myself and I really don´t understand why so many eople seem upset with this. For me it is absolutely understandable.

Even the most Catholic people in my family, like my grandmother, hadn´t even think about the Mass. They are (like we all are) more interested on what Felipe is going to say at his first speech as King than on a possible mass with foreign guests.

I wish Felipe, Letizia and the daughters acenassem from the balcony of the Royal Palace to the population on the day of enthronement.

Cory, surely this will be a shock for you. :whistling:

The Episcopal Conference assumes that no mass in the proclamation of Felipe VI

The general secretary and spokesman for the Spanish Episcopal Conference, José María Gil Tamayo, has been framed within the "normal" of a secular State that the proclamation of King Felipe VI takes place without any religious act.

"In Spain of the XXI century the concept is different than in the coronation of King Juan Carlos, when there was still a state church and the Constitution had not been approved", he justified.

La Conferencia Episcopal asume que no haya misa en la proclamaci?n de Felipe VI

The SRF could opt for a private Mass to celebrate this day.

I hope so. Nothing invokes a sense of reverence, duty and respect like a cold, secular inauguration, no? Just leave God out of it and all will be well!

All sarcasm aside I am both saddened and confused by how eager people seem to be to cut out and suppress what has been, for better or worse- the second most defining institution in the history of Spain...the Roman Catholic Church.

Why must people in their never ending quest for what they feel is integration and "progress" abandon the things that make them special, who they are?

Would Spain still be Spain without it's monasteries, it's spectacular Cathedrals and it's identity as a Catholic country?

Don't be so quick to abandon it all for secularism and atheism. It's not all it's cracked up to be.:sad:

God bless and good luck to the new King and Queen but I have no interest at all in watching this "installation".

Last edited:
Most people whether of any religion or of none prefer to mark the major events in their lives with some ceremony. In the case of Spain I would imagine that the majority of the mainly Cathoilc populace, whether they attend Mass every week or not, baptize the majority of their children; marry in Church and receive requiem Masses upon dying. Many, if not most, people wish to mark the major milestones in their lives in a similar fashion be they Christian, Jewish, Muslim,humanist, whatever. Felipe is a Catholic, how devout I don't know, but to have had a Mass asking for God's blessing on his Kingship I think would have been most appropriate and I think most Spaniards would have understood this.

Most people whether of any religion or of none prefer to mark the major events in their lives with some ceremony. In the case of Spain I would imagine that the majority of the mainly Cathoilc populace, whether they attend Mass every week or not, baptize their children; marry in Church and receive requiem Masses upon dying. Many other people wish to mark the major milestones in their lives in a similar fashion be they Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Humanist, whatever. Felipe is a Catholic, how devout I don't know, but to have had a Mass asking for God's blessing on his Kingship I think would have been most appropriate and I think most Spaniards would have understood this.

Last edited:
Oh :-(. I was looking forward to a nice big event!

Most people whether of any religion or of none prefer to mark the major events in their lives with some ceremony. In the case of Spain I would imagine that the majority of the mainly Cathoilc populace, whether they attend Mass every week or not, baptize the majority of their children; marry in Church and receive requiem Masses upon dying. Many, if not most, people wish to mark the major milestones in their lives in a similar fashion be they Christian, Jewish, Muslim,humanist, whatever. Felipe is a Catholic, how devout I don't know, but to have had a Mass asking for God's blessing on his Kingship I think would have been most appropriate and I think most Spaniards would have understood this.

Exactly. What difference does it make if most Spaniards have lost their faith and abandoned the Church? What has that to do with anything? The monarchy and the Church are historically linked. Always have been and always will be. The Brits are wise enough to understand this, and have resisted all efforts to secularize their monarchy even though most of QEII's subjects have discarded the Anglican Church.

If you drop one, mark my words the other will soon follow.:sad:

The monarchy and the SRF need all the blessings they can possibly get, imo.

Last edited:
I disagree that when people stop attending Church it automatically means they have abandoned faith. I myself rarely attend Church because the demands of the modern world make it difficult but I am a definite Catholic as far as I am concerned and so are my husband and children.

I hope the future King will attend a Mass in his private chapel before the civil ceremony of the accession.

i have no doubt that leonor and sofia will be present at least at some of the events of the inauguration

I hope so. Nothing invokes a sense of reverence, duty and respect like a cold, secular inauguration, no? Just leave God out of it and all will be well!

All sarcasm aside I am both saddened and confused by how eager people seem to be to cut out and suppress what has been, for better or worse- the second most defining institution in the history of Spain...the Roman Catholic Church.

Why must people in their never ending quest for what they feel is integration and "progress" abandon the things that make them special, who they are?

Would Spain still be Spain without it's monasteries, it's spectacular Cathedrals and it's identity as a Catholic country?

Don't be so quick to abandon it all for secularism and atheism. It's not all it's cracked up to be.:sad:

God bless and good luck to the new King and Queen but I have no interest at all in watching this "installation".

No one said anything about atheism. Spain, as many nations have a separation of church and state, which is a good way to run a nation. The Dutch installed their wonderful King Willem-Alexander and the Belgians installed their wonderful King Phillipe, without any religious ceremonies and all works well. There is no need to stuff a specific belief in anyone's face any longer. Each can believe what they will. The king represents them all. Separation of church and state in quite important, it is part of the foundation of my nation.

Exactly. What difference does it make if most Spaniards have lost their faith and abandoned the Church? What has that to do with anything? The monarchy and the Church are historically linked. Always have been and always will be. The Brits are wise enough to understand this, and have resisted all efforts to secularize their monarchy even though most of QEII's subjects have discarded the Anglican Church.

Most Spaniards, Catholic or not, practicing or not, prefer not mixing up religion and State, and this is the most State affair that can exist. I don´t know why it is so difficult to understand.

He can have a private religious ceremony if he wants to, but it isn´t going to be an official one. In other words, no Spaniard is going to be forced to attend or see a ceremony of a religion he doesn´t feel belong to in order to see the new king proclamation. No way.

The king must be the king of every Spaniard, not only Catholics. There are agnostic Spaniards, atheist Spaniards, Muslim Spaniards...and all them have the right to belong to this country.

You really can´t compare the situation in UK, where the Head of State is also the Head of the Anglican Church, with a country like Spain where nobody, not even within the RF is forced to belong to a religion. The RF is Catholic because they want to, but they´re not forced to be so. It is not the case, but if Felipe wasn´t Catholic he still would be the rightful king of Spain. It is not the case, but if F&L were not married by the church but only civil married, she still would be the rightful queen of Spain because only the civil laws matter on the State charges, not the Catholic ones.

We don´t even know if they will have a private mass the next day that we won´t see, that can perfectly be. But there is not going to be a mass as a part of the festivities.

Last edited:
Most people whether of any religion or of none prefer to mark the major events in their lives with some ceremony. In the case of Spain I would imagine that the majority of the mainly Cathoilc populace, whether they attend Mass every week or not, baptize their children; marry in Church and receive requiem Masses upon dying. Many other people wish to mark the major milestones in their lives in a similar fashion be they Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Humanist, whatever. Felipe is a Catholic, how devout I don't know, but to have had a Mass asking for God's blessing on his Kingship I think would have been most appropriate and I think most Spaniards would have understood this.

I don't think it's that people are saying they shouldn't have some sort of Mass, it just seems like the decision has already been made, and some people are okay with the fact that they've decided not to have one. I don't know that much of an issue has been made of it in Spain at all, and that's where it matters most.

Not that I'm in favor of secularizing monarchies or anything, but often such historical links have lead to a more secular population. In the case of Felipe's installment, whether or not a mass is held is going to have little effect on the faith of the population - and if he is religious himself, I'm sure he can find a way to worship in a private way, if he wishes. I'm religious myself, and think a religious ceremony would always be nice, but shouldn't be forced out of some sense of duty, because then I think it can just end up being a bit hollow. (I hope I've made sense - it's certainly a complex issue in general, and one on which I can understand multiple perspectives, but I'm trying to keep it brief.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom