Proclamation of Felipe VI; Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TedzLee

The Coronation of Prince Felipe of Asturias will take place on June 18, 2014.

Are the Spanish monarchs crowned? I have never seen pictures of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia in regalia. I thought he was just sworn in. Can anyone confirm?

No they are not crowned. The King is sworn in in the Parliement. Maybe there will be some sort of a church service.

Thanks for the date! So soon indeed!
I hope there will be many royals present, apart from uncle Conny & Co. ;)

I doubt this will be a big event like The Netherlands. I don't think any foreign guests will be attending or I can be wrong.

Thanks for the date! So soon indeed!
I hope there will be many royals present, apart from uncle Conny & Co. ;)

I am expecting this to be a very low key event. I would be surprised if there were any foreign royals present, other than the Greeks.

I am expecting this to be a very low key event. I would be surprised if there were any foreign royals present, other than the Greeks.

The Princes Philip and Aleksander of Serbia are the god-children of HM Queen Sofia. It would be nice if they were present.

Spain is hard up. High profile attendees will mean high profile security. In practical terms, the timescale (2 wks notice) and cost will probably mean no o/seas guests.

It is a proclamation, no coronation. Only the UK still has coronations.

When I listened to the words spoken in 1975, then the most senior member of the Cortes (or the person who presides the special assembly) speaks the following words (my translation from spoken text, adapted to 2014):

"In name of the Spanish Cortes and the Council of State, expressing to the Spanish Nation that now is proclaimed King of Spain: Don Felipe de Borbón y Grecia, to reign under the name Felipe VI.

Deputies, Councillors: with emotion and gratitude for the Reign of Don Juan Carlos: ¡Viva el Rey! ¡Viva España!

Last edited:
I hope the Romanian,Greek,Serbian,Bulgarian Royals will attend the event.

I doubt this will be a big event like The Netherlands. I don't think any foreign guests will be attending or I can be wrong.

If there is an inauguration mass, I'm pretty sure members of foreign royal families will be invited.

If there is only a swearing-in ceremony in the parliament, it will be a low-key event (i.e not as glamorous/formal as a Dutch inauguration) and no foreign guests are likely to attend.

Last edited:
I agree. The Investiture ceremony with the proclamation will be "intimate" (no foreign guests, like in Belgium). A few weeks later the Armed Forces will hold a special parade, I believe and of course a Te Deum. In connection to that, I can imagine there will be foreign guests too.

I agree. The Investiture ceremony with the proclamation will be "intimate" (no foreign guests, like in Belgium). A few weeks later the Armed Forces will hold a special parade, I believe and of course a Te Deum. In connection to that, I can imagine there will be foreign guests too.

I looked up on the Web and here is a list of some of the foreign guests who attended the enthronement mass for King Juan Carlos in 1975:

" Inside the Church took their places the King and Queen of the Hellenes, Prince Rainier and Princess Grace of Monaco, the President of France and the President of the Federal Republic of Germany, the President of Ireland, the Grand-Master of the Order of Malta, the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Liège, the Prince Sidi Mohamed of Morocco, the Prince Bertil of Sweden, the Hereditary Grand-Duke of Luxembourg, the Vice-President of the United States of America, Nelson Rockefeller among representatives of over 80 countries and around 700 guests. "

Apparently, it was a big event.

I guess we will only see King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia, King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia and the Infantas Leonor and Sofia at the inauguration events.

No Elena, no Cristina, no Marichalar children, no Urdangarin children.

I guess we will only see King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia, King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia and the Infantas Leonor and Sofia at the inauguration events.

No Elena, no Cristina, no Marichalar children, no Urdangarin children.
They say we could see more of the extended family during the signing of the Abdication Law by King Juan Carlos, which will be at the Royal Palace the same day as the proclamation.

And by "extended family" I mean both Elena and Cristina´s families and both Infantas Pilar and Margarita.

But they are only rumours and assumptions so far.

The Kings sisters and aunts all attended the Proclamation Ceremony for King Juan Carlos ,however it might be very different this time round.

Can someone explain better to me? There's the signing, Felipe needs to swear, proclamation ceremony, and more? I'm a bit confused here, I saw pictures of Queen Sofia wearing a pink dress & later a blue dress with mantilla.
Can someone explain to me what and how the ceremonies will be? Which ones? All in the same very day? If yes, that means a full pack day with schedules and changing clothes?
I'm so confused here, I need help ;)

Can someone explain better to me? There's the signing, Felipe needs to swear, proclamation ceremony, and more? I'm a bit confused here, I saw pictures of Queen Sofia wearing a pink dress & later a blue dress with mantilla.
Can someone explain to me what and how the ceremonies will be? Which ones? All in the same very day? If yes, that means a full pack day with schedules and changing clothes?
I feel strange explaining these things, because nothing is really official yet so I feel like I could be giving you wrong information and messing things even more :ermm:, but still...

About King Juan Carlos proclamation: the event where Sofia wears the hot pink dress was the day of the proclamation. There were no foreign guest at that ceremony.

The event where she wears the blue dress with mantilla was the Te Deum (mass) at San Jerónimo´s church. That was a different day, short after the proclamation, and there were many foreign guest that can be seen in the video posted by An Ard Ri. Afterwards, they went to the Royal Palace and had a balcony appearance (I assume there was a reception/lunch/dinner too).

What we can expect similar to this on Felipe´s proclamation:

Well, the ceremony of proclamation at the Parliament should be quite similar. We don´t know yet about the protocol, but uniforms/morning dress for men and long dress (no tiara and no orders) for ladies like that occasion is quite possible.

Before that ceremony can take place, King Juan Carlos must "stop being king", so he has to signed the Organic Law destined to that (that Law is what the parliament is now preparing and will be ready on June 18th, after the approvals of both Congress and Senate). According to the most recent information, that would take place in a short ceremony the same day that the proclamation, quite probably at the Royal Palace of Madrid (similar to the Dutch abdication). After that happens, Felipe will be already King of Spain, but he has to be inmediately sworn at the Parliament-and it is then when they will go to the Parliament and the ceremony of proclamation takes place.

Since everything happens the same day (probably the same morning), I don´t think we´ll see different clothes from one event to another.

And we are guessing that there will not be foreign guests that day, so if there is going to be some kind of mass, party or reception in order to receiving foreign dignataries, that will be on a different day like it happened with KJC and QS.

Hope this helps ;)

I looked up on the Web and here is a list of some of the foreign guests who attended the enthronement mass for King Juan Carlos in 1975:

" Inside the Church took their places the King and Queen of the Hellenes, Prince Rainier and Princess Grace of Monaco, the President of France and the President of the Federal Republic of Germany, the President of Ireland, the Grand-Master of the Order of Malta, the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Liège, the Prince Sidi Mohamed of Morocco, the Prince Bertil of Sweden, the Hereditary Grand-Duke of Luxembourg, the Vice-President of the United States of America, Nelson Rockefeller among representatives of over 80 countries and around 700 guests. "

Apparently, it was a big event.

It was an historic event - the change to a constitutional monarchy from what was seen as a dictatorship. Countries rallied to support JC

So what can we expect for the event? A little bummed that it won't be anything like the Netherlands.

So what can we expect for the event? A little bummed that it won't be anything like the Netherlands.
Probably very low-keyed...like Belgium's maybe.

Three Acts, like in Luxembourg 2000, Amsterdam 2013 and Brussels 2013:

Act 1
The King, Don Juan Carlos I, signs the Act of Abdication

Act 2
The new King, Don Felipe VI, affirms to maintain the Constitution. The Cortes prolaims him King of Spain

Act 3
At a later date, festive ceremonies involving the Armed Forces (parade), the Church (a Te Deum), and the citizens (festivities, fireworks)

That will be the rough schedule.

:flowers:

Thank you ANNIE_S for your explanation ;) and also to Duc_et_Pair.

I´m watching the Spanish TV and they are saying that there will be no mass and no foreign dignataries.

Thanks Annie I didn't think there would be either.

Zarzuela has confirmed that there will be no foreign guests, or mass.

Probably King Juan Carlos will officially sign his abdication at the Royal Palace.

King Felipe will be proclaimed at the Congress of Deputies, probably after the act, in front of the Congress he will receive military honors. After they will go to the Royal Palace to hold a reception.

It will be a big event. Is the ceremony Like the from netherland?

It will be a big event. Is the ceremony Like the from netherland?

Low Key & nothing like the Dutch Ceremony.

No Foreign Guests and no Religious Ceremony ,it will be a Proclamation Ceremony before the Spanish Cortes (Parliament) ,the extended Royal Family might be present if were lucky!

Seems a shame there will be no Mass.

Perhaps its time the Kings dropped the title 'Most Catholic Majesties' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom