The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-16-2020, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I was surprised to see Queen Sofia in attendance too. Did she attend this event before after her son's accession?
Yes, Queen Sofia attended this event when her son was Prince of Asturias.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Yes, Queen Sofia attended this event when her son was Prince of Asturias.

But did she attend after her son became King ? Or is this the first time?

Old 10-16-2020, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But did she attend after her son became King ? Or is this the first time?
Queen Sofia has been going every year.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Nice to see everyone there despite the current global situation. I agree that Leonor seems to be getting more comfortable with speeches now - I noticed there was a stumble at one point but she seemed a lot more at ease on the podium. With more experience and time she will make a very refined public speaker - she already has a professional air about her! Felipe and Letizia should be very proud.
When the cameras zoomed in on Sofia I thought she bared a slight resemblance to Letizia around the eyes, which is something I've not noticed before.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-17-2020, 07:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Nice to see everyone there despite the current global situation. I agree that Leonor seems to be getting more comfortable with speeches now - I noticed there was a stumble at one point but she seemed a lot more at ease on the podium.

I would say she stumbled a couple of times and looked a little nervous often running words. But she is just 14, turning 15 in two weeks.

Being a small royal family in a relatively big country, the Spanish royals have a very busy agenda. And I don't recall other teenage royals taking part in so many official public events as Leonor at such a young age. She is definitely under greater strain than her peers in other monarchies in addition to the normal complications of growing up, going to school, dating boys, etc. It is a privileged position no doubt, but not without a burden.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Video:

Old 10-17-2020, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Leonor has had a busy time with speeches! She did very well for a young girl who already had a big speech the day before. Nice to see the family out and about today and it's good that there's been a lot of coverage of them this year despite restrictions to travel.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-18-2020, 07:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I would say she stumbled a couple of times and looked a little nervous often running words. But she is just 14, turning 15 in two weeks.

Being a small royal family in a relatively big country, the Spanish royals have a very busy agenda. And I don't recall other teenage royals taking part in so many official public events as Leonor at such a young age. She is definitely under greater strain than her peers in other monarchies in addition to the normal complications of growing up, going to school, dating boys, etc. It is a privileged position no doubt, but not without a burden.
Leonor did a fantastic job. Letizia as a former journalist has no doubt given her lessons on voice modulation, intonation, making eye contact...etc.

I think the only other comparable counterpart is the Duchess of Brabant. She was giving speeches at 9 years old in Dutch. This unifying gesture significant as Dutch/Flemish Beligium tends to be stand-offish towards the monarchy.
The more stable and supported the monarchy the less pressure on teenage heirs.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Leonor has had a busy time with speeches! She did very well for a young girl who already had a big speech the day before. Nice to see the family out and about today and it's good that there's been a lot of coverage of them this year despite restrictions to travel.
The Princess was wonderful, her parents and family must be so proud of Leonor.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The Princess was wonderful, her parents and family must be so proud of Leonor.
They must be! Very poised for someone so young. She did a wonderful job!
Old 10-18-2020, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I also really enjoyed Princess Leonor's speeches. She's perhaps the best-prepared heiress of her generation.