Princess of Asturias Awards; 2020-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the percentage between republicans and monarchists were 50-50, there would no longer be a parliamentary monarchy in Spain.
In fact, support for the monarchy does not drop below about 70 percent, more or less.
And there is no 30 percent of Republicans, since in that section, there are also those who do not think either in favor or against.
I suppose the Dutch monarchy is in worse condition when its King William has a support of only 47 percent of the population.

The Princess of Asturias Awards is a great event at a general level in Asturias and in Spain as well.
That group that protests comes from all corners of Spain! And every year! and they are such a small group that they have to get megaphones to make themselves heard hahahahaha
They are lucky that the regional government assigns them a square that is right in front of the "Campoamor", to be able to shout.
These awards are a great incentive for Oviedo, Asturias and Spain and the royal family is quite beloved there.
Without monarchy these awards would be nothing. It is a week of celebration and joy, of culture and joyful demonstrations. There is absolutely nothing negative (not even that tiny group that protests every year on the same site)

Leonor has been wonderful. A great speech, a lot of self-confidence, beautiful, sweet but with character, with a lot of content in the message ... although I suppose that this year she had less time to prepare that has not made her nervous. She is quite a veteran at 15 years old.
It is very lucky to have such an adorable princess.
Ah, when she speaks one of the winners in French, neither the king, nor the queen nor Eleanor nor Sofia use an online translator ... so we assume that French is another language that the family dominates

Last edited:
Queen Sofia received a very warm welcome last night at the Teatro Campoamor ahead of the ceremony.

If the percentage between republicans and monarchists were 50-50, there would no longer be a parliamentary monarchy in Spain.
In fact, support for the monarchy does not drop below about 70 percent, more or less.
And there is no 30 percent of Republicans, since in that section, there are also those who do not think either in favor or against.
I suppose the Dutch monarchy is in worse condition when its King William has a support of only 47 percent of the population.

The Princess of Asturias Awards is a great event at a general level in Asturias and in Spain as well.
That group that protests comes from all corners of Spain! And every year! and they are such a small group that they have to get megaphones to make themselves heard hahahahaha
They are lucky that the regional government assigns them a square that is right in front of the "Campoamor", to be able to shout.
These awards are a great incentive for Oviedo, Asturias and Spain and the royal family is quite beloved there.
Without monarchy these awards would be nothing. It is a week of celebration and joy, of culture and joyful demonstrations. There is absolutely nothing negative (not even that tiny group that protests every year on the same site)

Leonor has been wonderful. A great speech, a lot of self-confidence, beautiful, sweet but with character, with a lot of content in the message ... although I suppose that this year she had less time to prepare that has not made her nervous. She is quite a veteran at 15 years old.
It is very lucky to have such an adorable princess.
Ah, when she speaks one of the winners in French, neither the king, nor the queen nor Eleanor nor Sofia use an online translator ... so we assume that French is another language that the family dominates

The Dutch monarchy is not at all in worse position as the question was not about the monarchy but about King Willem-Alexander "Do you have confidence in King Willem-Alexander?" (whatever "confidence" in a ceremonial position actually might mean) and it dropped from quite high in 2020 to quite low in 2021 because of the Greek holiday debacle.

After saying that, I can easily see the Netherlands, or Sweden, or Norway amongst the first batch of monarchies to tumble down. No bloodshed, all in a civilized and prudent manner. We are not in the Middle Ages.

The traditional "unsecure" monarchies (Spain and Belgium) are ironically much more secure, exactly because any change of the Constitution would be a severe threat to the core existence of Spain and Belgium itself. This existential threat is a double lock on the status-quo in Spain and Belgium, so to say. Because the Netherlands, or Sweden, or Norway, will simply continue in current state, changing the constitution from a monarchy to a republic is no threat to their existence as a state.

Last edited:
To say that the Spanish monarchy is unstable is like when it is said that the Spanish are strict Catholics hahaha; Spain is one of the most socially liberal countries in every way. The greatest Spanish defect is classism, which continues to exist and is very strong
Holland or Belgium, the problem they have is being very young monarchies and with some scandals behind them for being so recent. Also for this reason, the monarchy of these two countries is justified as the very existence of the two nations. The monarchy is a justification for the very existence of these countries.
Actually, I think that if one of the European monarchies fell, it would somehow drag the others away. That is why we must be concerned with the behavior of all the members of each one of them.
Support for the Spanish crown or specifically for Felipe has always been very high and without a doubt, above any politician.
The Spanish monarchy is not protected by the press like the Dutch is and when something "escapes" and reaches the Dutch, it causes a slump in popularity, so if they lived without that protection, I am afraid that their popularity would be quite low. I do not think about the Belgian situation because it is very complex and it should be a Belgian citizen who will tell us.
We have already had two disastrous republics, but neither has destroyed the Spanish state, so I do not see their clarification.
In fact, during the republic, the independence movements were harshly repressed.
The danger for the Spanish monarchy is the daily judgment of the press, because the royal house does not defend itself from absolutely any defamation that is disseminated. Of course, the royal family depends a lot on its own conduct, but it doesn't help that most of the tabloid press, despite the blameless behaviors of our royal family, seek scandal over any nonsense.
And of course a lamentable political class at the moment.

As for the "Pueblo Ejemplar", I have loved the name of the viewpoint that her father asked for the Infanta Sofía and the king's speech when he made reference to the fact that Felipe and Letizia were newly married in 2004, they were in that area.
It is a small and isolated mountain town and it is one of the most beautiful events that brings with it the Princess of Asturias Awards

:previous:

Last response in connection to the anti-monarchy demonstrations during the Premios Princesa de Asturias in Oviedo (the discussion about monarchies going down is better in another thread):

the Orange-Nassaus are in the Low Countries since 1403. Their continuous position on the highest office of state was made hereditary (!) in 1674.

And Belgium was under Spanish/Austrian Habsburg rule until 1795. It effectively makes them old monarchies to be fair, as a monarchy is a constitution in which the highest office is fulfilled by hereditary succession.

I agree that one European monarchy tumbling down will lead to a domino effect, we have seen that in 1840 or 1918.

Last edited:
Last edited:
What a wonderful weekend!! What wonderful award week! The ceremony was very moving, the standing ovation the scientists who helped develop the different covid vaccines...

Leonor was magnificent, warm, engaged, learning how to speak in public with confidence with her personal sweetness, learning from her parents...It's amazing how much King Felipe has improved his public addresses since his marriage, Leonor already has the advantage of being coached by her mother, she'll be amazing by the time she's her father's age.

And it was great to see Sofía with her sister back home. We could see how sad she was in the photos Casa Real released when Leonor moved to Wales and on Thrusday Sofía kept hugging her sister's waist. And what a moving touch when the Exemplary Town unveiled the viewpoint named after her, the way Queen Letizia hugged Sofía and how moved she was...truly lovely.

A very nice gesture from the Royal Family: In a ceremony at the Royal Palace in July Queen Letizia invited the Asturian family of one of the youngest healthcare workers who died at 26 from Covid after they mentioned they would love to attend. When the date approched, Casa Real got in contact with them to handle the invitations.

The father explains in the following article how they received hugs from the King, Queen, Princess and Infanta and that they felt conforted by their affection. There's a photo of Queen Letizia hugging the mother at the link:

https://static2.elcomercio.es/www/m...71943496fH-624x385@El Comercio-ElComercio.jpg

https://www.elcomercio.es/premios-p...id-familia-real-carino-20211023190157-nt.html

What a wonderful weekend!! What wonderful award week! The ceremony was very moving, the standing ovation the scientists who helped develop the different covid vaccines...

Leonor was magnificent, warm, engaged, learning how to speak in public with confidence with her personal sweetness, learning from her parents...It's amazing how much King Felipe has improved his public addresses since his marriage, Leonor already has the advantage of being coached by her mother, she'll be amazing by the time she's her father's age.

And it was great to see Sofía with her sister back home. We could see how sad she was in the photos Casa Real released when Leonor moved to Wales and on Thrusday Sofía kept hugging her sister's waist. And what a moving touch when the Exemplary Town unveiled the viewpoint named after her, the way Queen Letizia hugged Sofía and how moved she was...truly lovely.

A very nice gesture from the Royal Family: In a ceremony at the Royal Palace in July Queen Letizia invited the Asturian family of one of the youngest healthcare workers who died at 26 from Covid after they mentioned they would love to attend. When the date approched, Casa Real got in contact with them to handle the invitations.

The father explains in the following article how they received hugs from the King, Queen, Princess and Infanta and that they felt conforted by their affection. There's a photo of Queen Letizia hugging the mother at the link:

https://static2.elcomercio.es/www/m...71943496fH-624x385@El Comercio-ElComercio.jpg

https://www.elcomercio.es/premios-p...id-familia-real-carino-20211023190157-nt.html

This is the meaning of being close to your people. She embraces, even in times of Covid, it is not a big, fake smile that is repeated every day. They are gestures of closeness, both physical and emotional, that she has always had.
The queen hugs, listens and does not mind mixing with the Spanish. She talks to everyone, and at these awards she meets many people who know her and who she knows because she has a prodigious memory.
Her charisma, her warmth and closeness are beyond question.
Her daughters "stick" to her in the exemplary town, because they are going to learn much more to relate to the citizens because the queen is always in dialogue with each other.
The best weekend of the whole year!
We will not see Leonor until December, if any event is organized for her, because in that month there is nothing special that her family does officially together.
I already have a very long wait
Sofía no longer looks so sad but happy to be with her sister, which does not show how close they are and how wonderful it is for them to enjoy their time together.
When Sofi was little, the then princess Letizia, said that Sofía followed Leonor as if she were her little goddess ... It is an adorable family.: flores:: flores:

Sofía is so sweet! Her reaction is adorable. Very nice present from Somiedo's people, knowing that all these events are very much about Leonor.

Last year the king asked for a viewpoint for Sofia and they have not been long. I love how they pamper the youngest of the family. Adorable: flores:

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, almost all we are old members and protests regarding the SRF, here and in other events across the country, will sure hardly come by surprise unless someone is fairly new to royal watching. Along with the people clapping anywhere, as could be easly suspedted from a country where monarchy-republic polls have fluctuated around 50-50 for decades now.

But hey, your commitment to "let the truth be known" is formidable, let's not allow blind people to enjoy a no-drama royal watching. Quick, bring light to them before they foolishly go and happily comment on a royal bling! ;););)

While I have been present on these forums for some years, I have not followed Spanish royal news closely enough to be familiar with the applause, the protests, the polling, or TVE's coverage of the royal family, so I do appreciate information on these topics. :flowers:

2022 Princess of Asturias Awards

The solemn 2022 Princess of Asturias Awards Ceremony, to be presided over by Their Majesties The King and Queen of Spain and with the presence of Their Royal Highnesses The Princess of Asturias and the Infanta Sofía, will be held at 6:30pm this coming Friday 28th October at the Campoamor Theatre in Oviedo.

https://www.fpa.es/en/press-release...cond-edition.html?idCategoria=14&especifica=1

This year the events are delayed a week to coincide with the school holidays of the Princess of Asturias.

Always a firm highlight of mine from the Spanish Royal Calendar!

30th Princess of Asturias Awards Concert

Organized by the Princess of Asturias Foundation in collaboration with the Cajastur Foundation, flamenco singer Carmen Linares and flamenco dancer María Pagés, joint 2022 Princess of Asturias Laureates for the Arts, will share the stage in the flamenco performance entitled “Carmen and María. Two paths, but one gaze”.

http://images.gtresnews.com/es/feat...rincesa-de-asturias/page/1/SN/ACTUALITY_TODOS

https://www.elcomercio.es/premios-princesa/premios-princesa-asturias-looks-20221027201110-ga.html

https://www.heraldo.es/multimedia/i...ierto-de-la-fundacion-princesa-de-asturias/1/

https://www.lne.es/fotos/premios-pr...ada-llegada-reyes-oviedo-77813552.html#foto=1

Last edited:
In several photos Leonor just looks exactly like Elisabeth!

One of the nicest events of the year in Spain usually. It is a pleasure to see the two princesses grow up. They look lovely and Sofia is charismatic. Nice to see the two grand mothers attending this year again, they must be proud to see their grand daughter all grown up and more confident each year.

Everybody looks spectacular and is cute both sisters like to style their hair alike on these events. Also noticed how tall they are now, above the Queen's height, and both are still in their teens.
Queen Letizia never lets down expectations, she's always stunning.

The Infanta Sofía will not be on the visit to the Exemplary Town of Asturias Award because she is indisposed, as confirmed by Royal House.
According to Royal House, the Infanta Sofia has been resting after yesterday something made her feel bad and she spent a night with a lot of discomfort.
The Infanta Sofia stayed in at the Reconquista hotel in Oviedo, where the Royal Family is staying.

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...letizia-leonor-sofia-pueblo-cadavedo_3514946/

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e...ofia-ausente-visita-pueblo-ejemplar-asturias/

Speech by King Felipe VI at the delivery of the 2022 Exemplary Town of Asturias Award.

Speech delivered by the Queen Letizia due to the absence of Princess Leonor in the delivery to the Exemplary Town of Asturias Award.

Photos:
https://www.casareal.es/ES/Actividades/Paginas/actividades_actividades_detalle.aspx?data=15528

As I didn't understand what you meant by indisposed I read the article. It states that Sofía had a bad night and didn't feel well after yesterday's events, so theybdecided that she wouldn't join her parents and sister this time.

I suppose it's fortunate and not random Felipe and Letizia did not get sick as well. I hope Leonor and Sofia feel better soon, and Leo recovers for her birthday.

Leonor in better spirits and with English subtitles/CC.

Leonor in better spirits and with English subtitles/CC.
She has a lovely voice, lower than I had expected. But very pleasant to listen to, even if I don't understand what she is saying. And she is a good speaker too.
Well done!

She is mainly discussing the contribution of each of the award winners - and telling them that their work is important to her, impacts her and/or that it increases her willingness to learn more.

She has a lovely voice, lower than I had expected. But very pleasant to listen to, even if I don't understand what she is saying.

There are English subtitles for the video if you press "CC".

Interestingly, Leonor's voice seems to get higher when she speaks English, just based on her Girona speech this year. Don't know if that's language or nerves.

Back
Top Bottom