The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-18-2019, 03:10 PM
Serene Highness

Her speech was phenomenal. Her delivery was terrific. I wouldn't want it any other way. She was so beautiful, beaming with hope and unwavering spirit. She sounded so clear and her demeanor was so calm and resolute.

I felt every words she said even if it was in Spanish. Her English was perfect too. Leonor

Her speech: https://twitter.com/i/status/1185249865921716225

The Royal Fly®️
Old 10-18-2019, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post
It's been incredibly emotional, I agree!! I'm still feeling it

Her parents almost burst with pride and Grandma Paloma was crying among the public. When she said that Asturias was her mother's land and that she had Asturian blood the applause interrupted her speech! She even said a few words in English to the laureates, what a Princess

The whole thing feels a little bit surreal though when, at the same time, Catalonia is burning and thousands are protesting on the streets of Barcelona to call for a republic.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Paloma Rocasolano could hardly contain her emotions she must be so proud as were the King,Queen,Queen Sofia and Infanta Sofia.

I did not expect to see old king Juan Carlos and more so since he his retirement from public life.

21st of February 1575,Death of Claude de France,Duchess of Lorraine.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:44 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Leonor did so well, the shout out to Asturias, Queen Sofia, and her confidence and big smile...she seems very well-prepared through and through. The grandmothers looking extremely proud was super sweet. Must be bittersweet, seeing her do well yet feeling the weight of responsibility on someone they all seem so protective of.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Leonor's speech, waiting for an English translation to add to the post:

https://youtu.be/HCi8B0ios7M
Old 10-18-2019, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Please Keep this Thread on Topic -The Princess of Asturias Awards 2019 and nothing political unless related to Awards

Old 10-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

As another poster already mentioned, there were lots of protests in Oviedo (as in previous years) and especially Leonor will have to learn how to deal with hostility towards her and the institution.
https://www.lne.es/sociedad/2019/10/...o/2545464.html
Old 10-18-2019, 04:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

As another poster already mentioned, there were lots of protests in Oviedo (as in previous years) and especially Leonor will have to learn how to deal with hostility towards her and the institution.
https://www.lne.es/sociedad/2019/10/...o/2545464.html
In Oviedo there was only one protest, the same organized by the same groups (a mixture of republican leftist groups, anarchists, environmentalists, anti evictions) every year... and that every year is less numerous ... but it is already part of the "color" of the event.

In recent weeks there is only one problem in Asturias that generates real protests and is the labor conflict of Vesuvius company. They have not organized any protest, and the Royal Family met yesterday with two company workers who are locked in the Cathedral.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Seeing Queen Sofia's surprise and genuine delight over being mentioned by Princess Leonor was one of the highpoints of the royal year for me. I found it very moving.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Seeing Queen Sofia's surprise and genuine delight over being mentioned by Princess Leonor was one of the highpoints of the royal year for me. I found it very moving.
Yes ,queen Sofia looked as though she was not expecting that and has obviously made quite an impact on her granddaughters life.

Updated Gallery from tonight

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?...019%20Ceremony

Old 10-18-2019, 06:33 PM
Majesty

leonor did great today. except some minor hiccups in her speech, the rest went smoothly. i am sure letizia made sure she rehearsed it enough to sound as she should. her diction was very clear and she was very calm, for what must be a nerve wracking moment for a child. her english is very impressive - i assume she has a private tutor because her diction is really perfect. the content of the speech itself was very heartfelt and personal - a good move overall, despite the fact that timing for this seems most awkward given the demonstrations happening in catalonia.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I am really looking forward to the events tomorrow. Today was the solemn part and obviously Leonor had to go through the hard moment of having her first speech on that impressive place, but after doing it I hope she can enjoy tomorrow the most relaxed part of the events and will have a more informal speech at the exemplary town award delivery. I am pretty sure she will do great there.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Video comparing the first speech of Prince Felipe and the first of Princess Leonor.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
In Oviedo there was only one protest, the same organized by the same groups (a mixture of republican leftist groups, anarchists, environmentalists, anti evictions) every year... and that every year is less numerous ... but it is already part of the "color" of the event.

In recent weeks there is only one problem in Asturias that generates real protests and is the labor conflict of Vesuvius company. They have not organized any protest, and the Royal Family met yesterday with two company workers who are locked in the Cathedral.
It is right, just one group of radicals that protest every year. Asturias loves the SRF. Queen Letizia is from Asturias.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:51 PM
Serene Highness

Oh I am so VERY proud of Leonor! She did so very well despite being a bit rushed in with nerves in the beginning. She reminded me so much of her mother, bless.

An absolute credit to her parents and country. More poised than many adult royals tbh.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
The only one missing from the family is the Emeritus King Juan Carlos, who will be on his way to Majorca where he will attend the wedding of tennis player Rafael Nadal tomorrow, possibly together with Infanta Elena.
It was a beautiful day. Leonor’s grace, smile and confidence is an example for young girls her age. Exceptional composure. King Juan Carlos is retired, he has worked honorably for Spain. King JC has not come to these awards in a long time and this did not take away from was a historical, exemplary ceremony.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Well done by the princess of Asturias! It seemed to come a bit more natural to her than her father at his first speech. I guess that is due to lots of practice - I just hope that she hasn't been practicing this ad nauseum (with such a perfectionist as a mother).

The only thing (but I don't think that's on Leonor) that the speech could have less of is all the references to 'majestades' and 'reyes'/reina that seemed a little forced. As if the people didn't no that her parents sitting next to her are the king and queen of Spain.

Great to see two proud grandmothers in the audience.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well done Leonor! She did a fantastic job! She was so natural in her expressions. What a proud moment!

Abuela Paloma's was just filled with emotions!
Old 10-19-2019, 01:04 AM
Nobility

Leonor was awesome! It was a pleasure to listen to this graceful, young princess speak. She was very engaging as she spoke & her family looked incredibly proud of her.