Princess of Asturias Awards 2015-2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leonor's speech, waiting for an English translation to add to the post:

Please Keep this Thread on Topic -The Princess of Asturias Awards 2019 and nothing political unless related to Awards

As another poster already mentioned, there were lots of protests in Oviedo (as in previous years) and especially Leonor will have to learn how to deal with hostility towards her and the institution.
https://www.lne.es/sociedad/2019/10/18/protestas-plaza-escandalera-oviedo/2545464.html

In Oviedo there was only one protest, the same organized by the same groups (a mixture of republican leftist groups, anarchists, environmentalists, anti evictions) every year... and that every year is less numerous ... but it is already part of the "color" of the event.

In recent weeks there is only one problem in Asturias that generates real protests and is the labor conflict of Vesuvius company. They have not organized any protest, and the Royal Family met yesterday with two company workers who are locked in the Cathedral.

Seeing Queen Sofia's surprise and genuine delight over being mentioned by Princess Leonor was one of the highpoints of the royal year for me. I found it very moving.

Last edited:
leonor did great today. except some minor hiccups in her speech, the rest went smoothly. i am sure letizia made sure she rehearsed it enough to sound as she should. her diction was very clear and she was very calm, for what must be a nerve wracking moment for a child. her english is very impressive - i assume she has a private tutor because her diction is really perfect. the content of the speech itself was very heartfelt and personal - a good move overall, despite the fact that timing for this seems most awkward given the demonstrations happening in catalonia.

Last edited:
I am really looking forward to the events tomorrow. Today was the solemn part and obviously Leonor had to go through the hard moment of having her first speech on that impressive place, but after doing it I hope she can enjoy tomorrow the most relaxed part of the events and will have a more informal speech at the exemplary town award delivery. I am pretty sure she will do great there.

Video comparing the first speech of Prince Felipe and the first of Princess Leonor.

In Oviedo there was only one protest, the same organized by the same groups (a mixture of republican leftist groups, anarchists, environmentalists, anti evictions) every year... and that every year is less numerous ... but it is already part of the "color" of the event.

In recent weeks there is only one problem in Asturias that generates real protests and is the labor conflict of Vesuvius company. They have not organized any protest, and the Royal Family met yesterday with two company workers who are locked in the Cathedral.

It is right, just one group of radicals that protest every year. Asturias loves the SRF. Queen Letizia is from Asturias.

Oh I am so VERY proud of Leonor! She did so very well despite being a bit rushed in with nerves in the beginning. She reminded me so much of her mother, bless.

An absolute credit to her parents and country. More poised than many adult royals tbh.

The only one missing from the family is the Emeritus King Juan Carlos, who will be on his way to Majorca where he will attend the wedding of tennis player Rafael Nadal tomorrow, possibly together with Infanta Elena.

It was a beautiful day. Leonor’s grace, smile and confidence is an example for young girls her age. Exceptional composure. King Juan Carlos is retired, he has worked honorably for Spain. King JC has not come to these awards in a long time and this did not take away from was a historical, exemplary ceremony.

Last edited:
Well done by the princess of Asturias! It seemed to come a bit more natural to her than her father at his first speech. I guess that is due to lots of practice - I just hope that she hasn't been practicing this ad nauseum (with such a perfectionist as a mother).

The only thing (but I don't think that's on Leonor) that the speech could have less of is all the references to 'majestades' and 'reyes'/reina that seemed a little forced. As if the people didn't no that her parents sitting next to her are the king and queen of Spain.

Great to see two proud grandmothers in the audience.

Last edited:
Well done Leonor! She did a fantastic job! She was so natural in her expressions. What a proud moment!

Abuela Paloma's was just filled with emotions!

Leonor was awesome! It was a pleasure to listen to this graceful, young princess speak. She was very engaging as she spoke & her family looked incredibly proud of her.

She did incredibly well. This next generation of Queen's truly blow my mind away. They all remind me of CP Victoria with what seem to be an easier time in their youth, for which I am grateful.
Her mother might be a perfectionist but Leonor was ready. Only extensive preparation can make someone look that confident in front of such a big crowd during such a big moment.
I also love the 2 sisters relationship. May they always remain so close and supportive of each other achievements & successes.

She did a wonderful job on the speech. Very poised for her age. Only a few small hiccups but over all a wonderful job.

Dont know who looked more proud, her dad or her grandmas. Mom was too.

As for studying up for the event I think it has to be balanced. Yes she has tutors and such but she is first and foremost a student. This is not an adult royal whose job in life is to prepare and attend such events. Right now her school studies are the key focus. Yes there was some preparation for the event as expected. But one shouldnt expect her to be reading up on resumes of how many laureates for this either.

When she is done school and it's her 'job' we can expect more depth of study before hand. But right now her job is a student.

Leonor did a fantastic job! I’ve no idea what she was saying but she certainly said it well! Her two grandmothers were bursting with pride!

So Leonor just made her second speech today... And I liked it even more than yesterday! Obviously it was less rehearsed beforehand than the one fron yesterday, because she stumbled several times...but at the same time it was much more natural and animated and she appeared truly happy to be speaking directly to the town's people.

At the end she said she was looking forward to visit the viewpoint but sadly she'll have to come again because the rain today makes it impossible, and I found her so cute and natural when she read that part.

I really think there is an outstanding public speaker in the making here, she always look very confortable and natural.

VIDEO of Princess Leonor's speech in Asiegu:
https://www.elcomercio.es/premios-p...ejemplar-asiegu-leonor-20191019132524-nt.html

Last edited:
Happy birthday Lindsey. Not everyone can say they had the royal family sing them happy birthday over their cake ?

Leonor did a great job on both speeches. A bit more comfortable today.

Have you seen her latest speech next to the one she did last awards night? She was also phenomenal. Very poised and lovely Princess.

Very poised and charismatic young lady. Loved how relax the second speech is. She is already doing so well at public speaking and she'll just get better. I hope she develops and enjoys the art of speech writing. One day she will have a team doing that for her but it would always be best if she sets the tone from an early age and keeps the personal touches.

I noticed as well that, while at the speech at the awards ceremony there were very formal alusions to "my parents, the King and Queen", "my sister, the Infanta" and so, in Asiegu Leonor was talking just about "my parents and my sister". It is great she got to do the two different registers (super formal and solemn at the awards, relaxed and informal at the town's visit) in just two days and she did very well in both.

As I said, a future great speaker in the making ;)

Seeing Queen Sofia's surprise and genuine delight over being mentioned by Princess Leonor was one of the highpoints of the royal year for me. I found it very moving.

I agree. Loved this:flowers:

For very early days Leonor was exceptional. She's very poised and confidence and agree that she will only get better with time, so I'm sure she'll be polished by the time she starts taking up more royal duties/a more central role within the SRF. I can imagine that the trip was probably quite overwhelming for a girl of Leonor's age, so she went about it very well and it was nice that the family were there to support her. Sofia jr. seemed proud of her older sister after the speeches, it seems that they're quite close siblings which is lovely to see - and I loved Sofia sr.'s reaction to being mentioned in Leonor's speech ? She had a good American accent too, I guess that's from the experience she's had at the summer camps.

Leonor and Sofia did great this awards season. I couldn't ask for more. Very great royal kids to look up to. Who else is excited like me for the Princess of Girona Awards next month?

I noticed as well that, while at the speech at the awards ceremony there were very formal alusions to "my parents, the King and Queen", "my sister, the Infanta" and so, in Asiegu Leonor was talking just about "my parents and my sister". It is great she got to do the two different registers (super formal and solemn at the awards, relaxed and informal at the town's visit) in just two days and she did very well in both.

As I said, a future great speaker in the making ;)

I noticed that too! Did Princess Lenore say in her first speech that her mother, the Queen is from Asturias and therefore she considers herself also an Asturiana?

Back
Top Bottom