Princess of Asturias Awards 2015-2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The video gave me chills! Cheers to the Spanish Royal Family!

The video gave me chills! Cheers to the Spanish Royal Family!

There are also mass protests outside, thousands and thousands yelling, booing, fierce hecklings, whistle-concerts and a sea of republican flags as a "welcome" for the royal family. Some media wilfully frame it out but on EuroNews there is "No Comment" which shows newsfeeds without comment, only "Oviedo, Spain - Thursday 17 October 2019" and the unedited material shows a deafening protest when the royal family arrived. Riot police in full force. Nothing new, by the way. Anti-monarchists always are in Oviedo at this event.

Princess Leonor handed the Foundation's insignia to the laureates in her first public duty as Honorary President of the Foundation. Love the photos of the young Princess interacting with everyone. According to El País both Leonor and Sofía have spent weeks preparing for this, including studying the laureates biographies.

http://imagenes-cdn.lne.es/multimed...emios-princesa-2019-audiencias-reyes-70_g.jpg

It is impressive how they are so dedicated to their roles and take it so seriously at such young age, but I guess that is Felipe and Letizia's parenting style.

Its a taste of things to come with Leonor such dedication at a young ,then again the king her father is a rather good role model.

Leonor is almost 14 and Sofia is 12 and a half, they are grown up enough to attend this event being properly informed on what's going on. Honestly, to have read some resume of the laureates biography and achievements beforehand should be the bare minimum for anybody, I see nothing impressive or too demanding from them.

Then again, we are perhaps too acostumed to royals doing the bare minimum.

I think Leonor and Sofia are being well educated. Note that they are well prepared for the role they are beginning to play.

Leonor is almost 14 and Sofia is 12 and a half, they are grown up enough to attend this event being properly informed on what's going on. Honestly, to have read some resume of the laureates biography and achievements beforehand should be the bare minimum for anybody, I see nothing impressive or too demanding from them.

Then again, we are perhaps too acostumed to royals doing the bare minimum.

I think you are not giving the girls due credit. I don’t know many 13-year-olds who would spend weeks familiarizing themselves with the biographies of multiple laureates of a major international prize.

I think you are not giving the girls due credit. I don’t know many 13-year-olds who would spend weeks familiarizing themselves with the biographies of multiple laureates of a major international prize.

Both girls have a totally different upbringing compared to ordinary 13 year olds. Who has a governess and private tutoring, grows up bilingual and is being groomed for public service by their parents, the kings of spain?

While I think that the girls are doing very well, I also think that is to be expected when they have been trained for outings like this evening since they were born.

Telma Ortiz is there with Robert Gavin Bonnar ,the husband of Irish musician Sharon Corr MBE.

Queen Sofia is also in attendance.

That was too much emotion for 5 minutes. I recognize I shed a couple of tears :rolleyes:

Leonor did incredibly well. Nervous at the beginning, but with panache and aplomb as she kept going and really confident towards the end when she spoke directly to the laureates. It was a pleasure to listen to her and I will forever remember how I witnessed this historical moment.

PD: My biggest concern, however, were both Queen Sofia and Paloma Rocasolano, I really feared any of them could faint due to emotion in any moment ? Grandmothers, they are the same everywhere! ?

Last edited:
Leonor did great, very natural way of speaking. She was beaming the whole time. Grandma Sofia was mentioned specifically and the cameras caught her not expecting to hear her name. She was really touched.
Grandma Paloma wasn't mentioned but she sat in the auditorium almost crying.
I did not expect Sofia Jr on the podium but the way she was seated was ok, Leonor clearly taking center stage with Felipe.
Now the first major steps into public life have been done this year and there is no way back.

It's been incredibly emotional, I agree!! I'm still feeling it ?

Her parents almost burst with pride and Grandma Paloma was crying among the public. When she said that Asturias was her mother's land and that she had Asturian blood the applause interrupted her speech! She even said a few words in English to the laureates, what a Princess :wub:

Yes Telma is present with her boyfriend. Queen Letizia's mother and grandmother are also present. I don't know if Letizia's father is present.

He's sitting next to his mother. On his other side I'm pretty sure I saw his wife :flowers:

Princess Leonor made a beautiful speech and was very safe and happy.
This was just the beginning of her life as Princess of Asturias and there is no going back.
Leonor is beginning her royal duties at the right age and I am sure that from now on she will start appearing at more events regularly whenever her studies allow it.
This was a great moment for Leonor, his first time at such important awards and his first speech.

Her parents almost burst with pride and Grandma Paloma was crying among the public. When she said that Asturias was her mother's land and that she had Asturian blood the applause interrupted her speech! She even said a few words in English to the laureates, what a Princess :wub:

That moment was when I couldn't hold my two tears back. Everything was going smoothly until them, but the applause that followed that "I bear Asturian blood" and Leonor's smile was breathtaking, just beautiful.

The only one missing from the family is the Emeritus King Juan Carlos, who will be on his way to Majorca where he will attend the wedding of tennis player Rafael Nadal tomorrow, possibly together with Infanta Elena.

Her speech was phenomenal. Her delivery was terrific. I wouldn't want it any other way. She was so beautiful, beaming with hope and unwavering spirit. She sounded so clear and her demeanor was so calm and resolute.

I felt every words she said even if it was in Spanish. Her English was perfect too. Leonor ❤️

Her speech:

Last edited:

The whole thing feels a little bit surreal though when, at the same time, Catalonia is burning and thousands are protesting on the streets of Barcelona to call for a republic.

Last edited:
Paloma Rocasolano could hardly contain her emotions she must be so proud as were the King,Queen,Queen Sofia and Infanta Sofia.

I did not expect to see old king Juan Carlos and more so since he his retirement from public life.

Princess Leonor did so well, the shout out to Asturias, Queen Sofia, and her confidence and big smile...she seems very well-prepared through and through. The grandmothers looking extremely proud was super sweet. Must be bittersweet, seeing her do well yet feeling the weight of responsibility on someone they all seem so protective of. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom