The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-21-2018, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Here's an article about yesterday's visit:

** dailymail: Queen Letizia of Spain cuts a smart figure in blue shirt and pinstriped trousers as she and the King visit a village of 101 people..**

Old 10-21-2018, 07:43 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Maybe Leonor will skip another year, but I think it's safe to say that she will be present at the 40th anniversary of the PoA Awards in 2020, when she's days away from her 15th birthday.

The event at the exemplary village is something that Leonor could do even earlier, very appropriate for a royal youngster.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

When the Prince of Asturias Awards began and Felipe was a teenager, it was a small and new event, very different from what it is now. The importance of the event, the importance of Felipe's speech, its impact on the media ... is too much weight for a girl, and at the same time it is a stage that the Royal House can not lose turning it into something more childish to adapt it to Leonor.

Leonor is the Princess of Asturias, when she begins to participate in this event she must do so taking some responsibility and not being a simple observer, probably for that reason they prefer to wait until she is older. Although the visit to Exemplary Village it is a more relaxed part, she can not go directly to that without attending the ceremony that is the main part.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I agree with you, especially with the role that is held by Felipe now, speech etc. Leonor needs to be much older, at least 21, to take over completely that part.

But my guess is that at least in 2020 she will take part in some capacity, even if she is only joining her grandmother on the balcony or sitting at the podium without an active role, like her mother now does - I might be wrong though.

Why do you think that she cannot be a simple bystander in the beginning but has to come in full weight? Would that do any harm to the awards, everybody is aware that she is only a teenager in the next 4-5 years.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:00 PM
Royal Highness

There’s nothing so special about this event that Leonor couldn’t go and I would argue that if she’s not ready to assume some sort of presence at the event that bears her name she shouldn’t have been given The Golden Fleece earlier this year. You don’t invest such an honour in a young girl who has done nothing to deserve it but be born to the correct father without also increasing the expectations of how that same girl will use her special status to serve her country.

I fail to see why she couldn’t walk in with her parents, take a seat beside her grandmother and sit politely through the ceremony itself. Then back to the hotel to bed. Then she could accompany her parents to the more laid back weekend event. If that’s really too much to expect she could go to the weekend event only and if they did that she wouldn’t even need to miss school.

I do hope that when she does attend this event it’s only her, without her sister, at least for the actual ceremony. Sofia can then join her parents and sisters for the Saturday event.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Princess of Asturias Awards 2019

2019 PRINCESS OF ASTURIAS AWARDS LAUREATES

Arts: Peter Brook
Communication and Humanities: The Prado Museum
International Cooperation: Salman Khan and The Khan Academy
Sports: Lindsey Vonn
Literature: Siri Hustvedt
Social Sciences: Alejandro Portes
Technical and Scientific Research: Joanne Chory and Sandra M. Díaz
Concord: The city of Gdańsk

Laureates - Princess of Asturias Awards - The Princess of Asturias Foundation
Old 10-11-2019, 07:21 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Casareal confirms the attendance of Leonor and Sofia for all events next week (events on the 17th, award ceremony on the 18th, exemplary village on the 19th).

Inicio - Actividades y Agenda - Actos con motivo de la entrega de los Premios Princesa de Asturias 2019
Inicio - Actividades y Agenda - Ceremonia de entrega de los Premios Princesa de Asturias 2019
Inicio - Actividades y Agenda - Entrega de la XXX edición del Premio al Pueblo Ejemplar de Asturias

Queen Sofia has an event in Madrid on the 17th, we'll see if she travels to Oviedo for the awards ceremony on the 18th.

Will be interesting to see how they include the Princess and the Infanta, one or both on the podium or be seated with Grandma Sofia on the balcony?
Old 10-11-2019, 08:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Leonor won't be at the balcony, that's fot sure: Casa Real has just announced today that she will pronounce a speech at the ceremony, as well as the King.
https://www.elmundo.es/espana/2019/10/11/5da061b5fc6c8300568b45a1.html

On next day, the Princess of Asturias is expected to pronounce a few words on the visit to the "Exeplary Town Awards".

Also, Oviedo's City Council has made public they will give the Royal Family an official welcome to the city on Thursday, it will be at the Cathedral.

I am so incredibly excited by this, it is officially Leonor's start on her role!
Old 10-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

General programme for the visit of TM The King and Queen of Spain and TRH The Princess of Asturias and the Infanta Sofía on the occasion of the 2019 Princess of Asturias Awards Ceremony

https://www.fpa.es/en/communication/...-of-the-2.html
Old 10-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

It will be strange not to see Queen Sofia if H.M. is unable to attend as her attendance is almost traditional now.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Great News! Leonor will do 2 speeches! How great! Can't wait for next week to come! I bet she will be so nervous, especially at the ceremony. But, it will be equally exciting as well.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Majesty

Yes it will be strange if Queen Sofia is not present this year at the Princess of Asturias Awards ceremony.
I look forward to seeing this year's Awards events for the first time with the presence of Princess Leonor.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I am not sure if casareal always had announced the presence of Queen Sofia at the awards ceremony beforehand. I'd personally find it odd to see Infanta Sofia sitting on the podium with her parents and sister, this is the one event where Leonor as heiress takes center stage and there should be a differentiation between the sisters that will increase in the coming years anyway (formal education etc).

Queen Sofia would be a good backup for Infanta Sofia.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:50 PM
Majesty

I think the Royal House has always announced the presence of Queen Sofia, but this year has not announced its presence, I do not know why.
I also think they should start to differentiate between Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia, and this is the right time for that to happen.
But surely the presence of Leonor in the delivery of these awards is the beginning of a new era in the Spanish monarchy.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Leonor won't be at the balcony, that's fot sure: Casa Real has just announced today that she will pronounce a speech at the ceremony, as well as the King.
https://www.elmundo.es/espana/2019/1...0568b45a1.html

On next day, the Princess of Asturias is expected to pronounce a few words on the visit to the "Exeplary Town Awards".

Also, Oviedo's City Council has made public they will give the Royal Family an official welcome to the city on Thursday, it will be at the Cathedral.

I am so incredibly excited by this, it is officially Leonor's start on her role!
It's nice to see that Leonor is being introduced to the Princess of Asturias awards - will be looking forward into seeing photos of her there!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-13-2019, 03:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Speeches of Felipe since 1981

Old 10-13-2019, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post

What a great honour and I'm also looking forward to seeing it.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

I look forward to this event, especially seeing Leonor there and taking part. Big step for her. I am sure she will be a bit nervous.

Fitting as it is only a year younger then her father was when he first did a speech at it.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:43 AM
Majesty

This year's program of events related to the Princess of Asturias Awards.
Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia will be attending most of these events.

Thursday, October 17

At 5 pm: Arrival of the Kings and their daughters, Princess Leonor and the infant Sofia, to Oviedo. There will be a great reception in the Plaza de Alfonso II (the Cathedral).
At 7.30 pm: The Kings will attend the Princess of Asturias Awards Concert, where the choir of the Princess of Asturias Foundation, together with the Symphony Orchestra of the Principality of Asturias, will perform a selection of opera and zarzuela fragments, under the direction of Cristóbal Soler, with the participation of soloist Carlos Álvarez (baritone).

Friday, October 18

At 11.20 hours: Audience of the Kings and their daughters with the winners of the 2019 Asturias Medals.
At 11.40 hours: Audience with the winners of the 2018 End of Career Awards of the University of Oviedo.
At 12.00: Audience with the Protective Members of the Princess of Asturias Foundation.
At 12.30 pm: Audience for the presidents of the jurors, members of the Princess and Foundation Board of Trustees and the winners of the Princess of Asturias Awards 2019.
At 6.30 pm: Ceremony for the delivery of the Princess of Asturias Awards 2019, chaired by the Kings and with the presence of the Princess of Asturias and her sister, the Infanta Sofia. On this date, Princess Leonor will give her first public speech, an evening that will close the words of her father, King Felipe.

Saturday, October 19

At 11.45 am: Visit to Asiegu (Cabrales), for the delivery of the Prize to the Exemplary People of Asturias 2019. During this, the Princess of Asturias and King Felipe will also say a few words.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Live

Tags
asturias awards 2015, king felipe, king felipe and queen letizia, queen letizia, the princess of asturias awards 2015