Queen Letizia's Personality

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a journalist? :eek: I wonder how many people would react to your comment.:ermm: I'm not a journalist by profession but your phrase did struck me.:rolleyes:

I don´t know why all misunderstood what i was trying to say, i suppose "just" was out of place, because i never wanted to say something pejorative about the profession, which i respect like any other. I wish i had such a profession myself. She presented the news, (some rumors say she got there with a little help) so i don´t think she had the least chance to demonstrate how intelligent she was. It´s a job that any journalist can do. It´s not the same than make interviews and give personal opinions, esp in politics.

I don´t know why all misunderstood what i was trying to say, i suppose "just" was out of place, because i never wanted to say something pejorative about the profession, which i respect like any other. I wish i had such a profession myself. She presented the news, (some rumors say she got there with a little help) so i don´t think she had the least chance to demonstrate how intelligent she was. It´s a job that any journalist can do. It´s not the same than make interviews and give personal opinions, esp in politics.
Actually you are incorrect, Letizia was also a correspondent and reported from Iraq and New York after Septmeber 11th. Those are not jobs that "any journalist can do"....

Thanks for the links Little star!
Princess Letizia was certainly one of the best journalists.

I think she has a nervous nature and is probably a perfectionist.
So far we have not been able to see her in her full expresion since she has been pregnant with difficult pregnacies and also, the Royal House has not given her enought solo acts for her to shine all by herself.
She needs to have her own agenda and her own causes and that way she will demonstrate what a good Princess she can be.

She needs to have her own agenda and her own causes and that way she will demonstrate what a good Princess she can be.

She's done her duties since becoming Princess of Asturias with poise, grace and rapt attention. She's already shown she is a good princess and has begun to have more solo duties and has shown interest in children's causes. And just because she shares alot of joint agendas with her husband, it shouldn't matter any less the work she has done together with him. They are a team.

Just because she was a good professional it doesn't mean she has to be a good princess. A good nurse doesnt make a good lawyer, right? Why should a good journalist make a good princess?

Anyway, I don't find Letizia a choleric lady. Chorelic people are often related with violence, hysteria and uncontrollable emotional states.

What I think about her is that she is a very tense and nervous person. I don't think she is relaxed when she performs a duty. Her face and the way she looks at people seems to me that she is always thinking "am I doing well?!". IMO, she is doing very, very well, she just needs to... enjoy the moment.

I think she has a nervous nature and is probably a perfectionist.
So far we have not been able to see her in her full expresion since she has been pregnant with difficult pregnacies and also, the Royal House has not given her enought solo acts for her to shine all by herself.

That is true. I believe the problem is that Letizia misjudged what she was getting into. She had a good career, caught a prince and thought that from now on she would automatically be one of the most admired and respected women in Spain and that she was simply perfect for the job (what could have been true). Well, it turned out differently and she somehow seems to be in a state of shock about the constant critizism and respectless media attitude towards her. When I see her I wish she would relax and just be herself and not think about possible mistakes or what people think of her. Instead there always this tension, trying hard to prove that she's up to the job and people feel that. When looking at the Letizia around engagement time I think it's a fact that Zarzuela made her change her personality / appearance to a high degree - at least in public and therefore she's still struggling. Her role and her personality are worlds apart but must somehow be matched - that causes a lot of stress, I believe, not being allowed to be herself.

Furthermore, Letizia was somehow "thrown" at the spanish public, meaning that she did not have to go through the fire before marriage that all the others had to endure - just remember Mette-Marit or Maxima - but this time is important to help clearing all irritations and smoothening the way for respect and admiration. I understand Felipe's reasons to go this way - thinking of Eva Sannum - but by presenting Letizia instantly as his fiancee he tried to suppress the critizism that has now constantly found its way during the past four years. In my opinion the "Maxima way" is much better - clear all the controversial stuff beforehand, even if it means a controversial discussion with the public, media and the parents, but finally backing and standing by the woman and getting married to her brings along respect. Willem Alexander went that way and he and Maxima came out very strong whilst Felipe gave in to his parents and the media with Eva Sannum - a big mistake if he really loved her - and tried to cowardly outwit the media and the public when presenting Letzia, with her bossy nature and divorcee past, an attitude that has clearly backfired since shortly after their marriage when looking at the big picture.

I don´t think Letizia is nervous at her duties, with Felipe or solo events. She seems to be very well prepared, is always very interested of the people she meets and deals with people absolutely great. She has been given more and more solo events and I think she is very good at them. She and Felipe are a powerful duo, and they are doing a great job for Spain.

Duke, I remember that for example the Norwegian Princes after marrying, with the excuse of studying were a time living in London.

I believe that to criticize before or to criticize later is not a problem, while they could and they be useful they will criticize, ultimately the time puts the things in its place, the problem is the type of critiques. I believe that if someone is judged or criticized by something logical, this person can accept it. But when constant is appealed to the lie, the deception, the insult, the personal attack ... to criticize for criticizing, it is not acepytable. And when a person tries to do and does the things well, and one attacks her for attacking, it ends up by being frustrating.

But the time passes, the people get bored with these things, and end up by estimating and respecting the irresolute person, who has could be kept in her place. If the people perceive that in any circumstance this person is capable enclosedly of sacrificing part of herslf for occupying the place that corresponds to her in every moment and to behave well always... she will have the gained respect, and from there she will be able to begin a much firmer way. For my this one is a long career, a work of many years.

I believe that we are before a new process. The birthday of the Prince supposed the definitive recognition of what the arrival of the Princess had supposed ... a man matures, happily, with a family, more nearby, with a more opened character... Even surprisingly some of the "most poisonous" paparazzi admitted that with the Princess the treatment to the press has improved.

Now what stays is that the Royal House is raised a bit to the wave, and act with a bit more of intelligence.

That is true. I believe the problem is that Letizia misjudged what she was getting into. She had a good career, caught a prince and thought that from now on she would automatically be one of the most admired and respected women in Spain and that she was simply perfect for the job (what could have been true). Well, it turned out differently and she somehow seems to be in a state of shock about the constant critizism and respectless media attitude towards her.

I agree with your statement, DoM.

Its important to know that a future princess can present herself well. I think it may be fair to say that the SRF only considered Letizia's image and deportment as a newsanchor which was very respected because that was the only qualification they needed for the Princess of Asturias. Of course, they wanted to ensure that she was a morally decent woman, but I think the SRF may have been more impressed by Letizia's excellent presentation skills and did not consider the fact that she was a very intelligent and achieving newswoman because they didn't need these characteristics for a Princess of Asturias.

But regardless of whether Letizia was truly better than all other Spanish journalists, she had to have a pretty good intelligence and more importantly she had to be especially self-motivated and disciplined in going after her career goals before she would even be considered for this prominent position as a national news anchor and to be sent as a special correspondent. You're right, the most intelligent don't always get top prize but generally the most ambitious and disciplined in their career goals are the ones to succeed.

I think her ambition, self-discipline, focusing on goals and self-drive that are most foreign to her job as the Princess of Asturias and its difficult to turn these qualities off. She is what she is. I imagine that the Princess thought that as a journalist she had provided an image of respectability and impartiality to the public while reporting some very controversial news and she thought that representing the Spanish monarchy with its need to project respectability and impartiality in the midst of sometimes explosive political events was a job she was well prepared for. In a sense she was but I agree that it threw away a very important part of her character as a journalist and so I hazard to guess that, like Alexandra of Denmark, another driven careerwoman to marry a prince, that she feels that the job is not inspiring or well suited for her temperament.

I agree that it threw away a very important part of her character as a journalist and so I hazard to guess that, like Alexandra of Denmark, another driven careerwoman to marry a prince, that she feels that the job is not inspiring or well suited for her temperament.
Wow I couldn’t agree more with this. When I look at photographs of Letizia before and in the run-up to her wedding and now she seems like a shadow of her former self (and I don’t mean that in terms of her weight). I understand that the Spanish monarchy has a certain way of doing things but I think that for someone to go from the job that she did to basically accompanying her husband as he carries out his duties must sometimes be suffocating for her. There are times when I see photographs of them at engagements where I think you could put a cardboard cut-out of Letizia beside Felipe and I wouldn’t notice the difference, she seems so empty. I find it so very sad and I hope that she is able to find some cause or organisation that inspires her that she can be involved with the blessing of the royal house. I do believe that she has the drive and ability to achieve a great deal if only she had the chance.

I believe that you know little to the press and the public Spanish opinion. Any Spanish woman, knows what supposed for any woman being Princess of Asturias. The girlfriends of the prince have received the attacks, his wife has received them and they had been received by any woman who was in Letizia's place. And any of them to support it, it is very difficult, and can turn into authentic hell. And to suffer is an injustice, because it is an injustice is difficult to understand for a person ... and only it is possible to overcome when this person accepts that what happens is not for being she, but for the place that occupies. Evidently it is very different to think like it can be something, that to suffer it.

Not even the most ignorant of the Spanish would think that a Princess of Asturias was going to escape of the cruel public scrutiny. The test is not in the public scrutiny, but in being able to support it. And if this first test is overcome by dignity, you have a good part of the way gained.

I believe that the way of the Princess won´t be very different from through the one that the Queen lived ... first she was criticized ... later respected ... and finally love. I believe that it is a habitual process for many important prominent figures in Spain.

I think that the Princess has a clear aim, and it is to support her husband in order that he is a good Prince and manages to be a good King, and really, her arrival to the life of the prince has supposed the alteration of those details that before could be open to criticism. And it is something recognized by the whole people. It has supposed probably "sacrificing" temporarily and with a view to the exterior something of herself, but this it is the price of being a public personage. Once obtained it, a new way is opened for her.

On the occasion of the birthday of the Prince, a journalist said that the Prince was now the one who always had wanted to be. The life and the circumstances had done that he was closing. I believe that with the Princess, it has passed something similarly, and probably have to pass a time until she is the one who really wants to be.

Probably, the attitude of the Queen and the Princess does not differ so much. When they accompany their husbands they are kept in a background, and it is in their acts in solitarily when they demonstrate like they are really.
Always I have thought that the best success of a consort is not to be, but to help the other to be. And I believe that in addition it supposes a major effort and sacrifice.

I believe that the way of the Princess won´t be very different from through the one that the Queen lived ... first she was criticized ... later respected ... and finally love.
Probably, the attitude of the Queen and the Princess does not differ so much. When they accompany their husbands they are kept in a background, and it is in their acts in solitarily when they demonstrate like they are really.
Always I have thought that the best success of a consort is not to be, but to help the other to be. And I believe that in addition it supposes a major effort and sacrifice.

Thanks for your view lula, as always :flowers:
You might be right with your opinion that time will set the record straight as it did with Queen Sofia but only time will tell. I personally don't believe that Sofia's and Letizia's way can and should be compared. Sofia, born into A-class royalty, probably knew from a very early age that she would spend her life as a royal consort and that it would include a sacrifice for the greater good. She somehow was groomed to lead such a life unlike Letizia, who spent 31 years of her life out there in the real world, pursuing a career, a modern and independent woman who was in control of her life. Furthermore, Sofia has never had to experience the scrutiny of the media to such an extent as she is from a different generation. Letizia must have known that she would have to sacrifice a lot but I don't believe she knew that she would have to give up her main characteristics, at least in public, and transform into a consort that suits Zarzuela's concept more than her own personality.

Given that Letizia has no choice but to go ahead with the best possible support of her husband and mother in law the question remains if fulfilling her duties is more about fun and enjoying her role or about pressure and fitting into other people's expectations - and if it's the latter, how long she will be able to take it before it's too much. I still believe that the interpretation of her role by Zarzuela - in hubby's shadow all the time, hardly solo duties, as low key appearance as possible - does not belong into the 21st century. It takes so much away from a modern and intelligent young woman who had so much energy and enthusiasm to fill out her role in the beginning. There are many other consorts around who prove that this role can be filled out with a little more self confidence, especially when this person, like Letizia, is not ugly or plain stupid, and even if Spain is Spain and things are different, it should be possible there, too.

Amelia
When I look at photographs of Letizia before and in the run-up to her wedding and now she seems like a shadow of her former self (and I don’t mean that in terms of her weight). There are times when I see photographs of them at engagements where I think you could put a cardboard cut-out of Letizia beside Felipe and I wouldn’t notice the difference, she seems so empty. I find it so very sad and I hope that she is able to find some cause or organisation that inspires her that she can be involved with the blessing of the royal house. I do believe that she has the drive and ability to achieve a great deal if only she had the chance.

I see it exactly the same way - and keeping in mind that many, many of these royal engagements are plain boring - that goes for all royals, I believe - it must be very hard for Letizia, thinking of her background, to watch Felipe doing the active parts such as speeches etc and be condemned to sit there and listen again and again, without her own responsibilities. It simply cannot be satisfactory in the long term for a woman who used to be in control and express her own opinion and it shows - as Amelia said, she is only a shadow of her former self, and not only because of her weight.

I think its unlikely that Letizia had a profound understanding before she married of what her life as Princess of Asturias would be like day to day. Most non-royals cannot begin to understand the tightrope that many royal families must walk being very public but very apolitical and noncontroversial institutions always working side by side with very touchy and over egomatical elected politicians who are forever jealous that the royals might steal their thunder. Other royal women have had one idea of what their life would be like before they married and then were faced with an unfamiliar and uncomfortable reality after they married. Some have adapted and others haven't.

Part of the problem is that the monarchy is not a 21st century institution. Its advantageous for a woman in the news business to be outspoken, confident, sure of themselves, and a go-getter. But for a woman that marries into an ancient institution that once was all powerful and now whose role is mainly ceremonial, such an assertive and self-confident sharing of one's opinions and actions can look like it it trying to re-gain the influence of the royal families of old which most modern democracies such as Spain want to discourage. The problem then becomes if Letizia has such a prominent and outspoken role then people could well be asking why they need Felipe as crown prince and king if his wife can do the ceremonial stuff and speeches so much better than he. Felipe's role as Prince of Asturias is so tightly conscripted that for Letizia to gain any freedom in her role, I think Felipe has to gain more freedom in his role and I doubt the Spanish constitution only 30 years after Franco could stomach a more powerful role for either of them. They are living symbols, showpieces for the nation.

Right now, I would say the Crown Princess that has the overall most positive image is Princess Maxima of the Netherlands but even she was heavily criticized by politicians for a speech which several Dutch admit would not have raised eyebrows a few years before. The political situation in a country changes so much that to stay out of controversial political waters can sometimes be a 24 hour job. But her husband doesn't share in her elevated public opinion. Most I talk to think that Willem-Alexander is stupid, lazy, drinks a lot, and the only smart thing he did was to marry Maxima. What kind of loyalty are people going to have to Willem-Alexander as King if they think so little of his personal worth? And who will be loyal to Felipe if they see him as just an appendage of Letizia?

It is a problem for these women, I grant you, but I think it is borne in the institution's vow to stay out of politics. Once an institution vows to stay out of politics and controversial causes, they really restrict what their members can do in public to maintain an assertive and powerful image. If the royal house were an institution of real political power, then Felipe could allow Letizia a larger public presence to free his time up so he could focus on the more backroom decisions of government. He's not going to be that type of King however.

Last edited:
Duke, the first thing for that the people wait is that she can occupy her place, and her place is a secondary place. The Monarchy has a structure where each one occupies a place. For my a corsort must be in a background, is it not to be of the 21st century? I am sorry, but for my what it doesn´t make sense is that there are consorts who have more activities that the persons who take a responsibility as a birth. If those who are going to occupy the Head State are in a background which is the future of the Monarchy?

I believe that the consorts must have their own activity, and she is having it as the time passes. And according to the time pass she will acquire more protagonism, and when the Queen and the Infantas are reducing their activity, she will be increasing it. I do not understand this obsession for the activities in solitarily, for the protagonism, it seems that in this society if one is not the absolute protagonist is not anybody.

I do not agree in this image of boring and sad Princess because she accompanies her husband. She is kept on the second plane when she knows that the protagonism must be her husband, and this it is her work. I can remember she in the last weeks, with the President of Portugal or the President of Honduras. Exempting the weeks next the anniversary of the death of her sister, for obvious reasons, I have not seen the Princess not to be totally involved in the activities in those that she represents with her husband. In the same way as when she realizes an activity in solitarily, she moves with more freedom, because she knows that in this occasion, she is the protagonist. On the other hand there are acts that are entertained, and there are acts that are more boring or sad. What does not make sense is that some person they claim that the Princess has an immense smile in a Congress of Victims of the terrorism, and I read it in this forum.

This it is the topic Ysbel. For my the women who marry an Inheritor to the Wreath, must accept that they occupy a secondary place and that function is to serve to the Wreath in order that her husband is a good King. The same thing for a man who marries a future Queen.

The Princesses catch more the attention, the dresses, the jewels, the charitable work, the children, the culture ... it is more attractive than the gray suits, the boring politics or the economy. They work at different levels, and must not be compared, do not have the same responsibilities. It is possible that there are Princesses who have more intelligence and more capacity than their husbands, or that complement them in their lacks ... but even this way each one takes a place.

For my, and in spite of being those who initially could have more problems, they are Haakon and Mette Marit those who now seem to have this balance. It seems that both are compromised increasingly by their work, they work together and separately, and it seems that they are valued of a balanced form.

In case of the Princes of Asturias I believe that it is necessary to have time. I do not believe that one doubts the capacity of the Prince, since I have said things that before could be an object of critique with his marriage have improved, he gives a more mature image, is more nearby and opened with the people and supports better to the press. Now it can only to balance it for the side of the princess, it is necessary that without breaking the scale, she acquires more activity in solitarily.

I do not agree in this image of boring and sad Princess because she accompanies her husband.
I do not think that she looks the way she does at engagements because she is attending them with Felipe, I think that she looks the way she does because she is an intelligent, hard working woman who has basically been reduced to being her husband’s shadow. I understand that she shouldn’t be more in focus than Felipe but taking on her own engagements doesn’t mean that will happen. There is a balance that can be reached. Even if she were to only take on a few causes of her own it would be something for her to work on independently but she could still support Felipe at all of his engagements. Like I said earlier Letizia looks, to me, like a shadow of her former self, she is so frail looking now and I don’t mean either of those as an insult but when I look at her I don’t see Letizia I see Felipe’s wife and I find that sad considering the independent, successful woman she once was. All of the princesses sacrificed parts of themselves when they married into their royal families but none to the level that Letizia has.

I was thinking of the side effect of having a strong assertive personaility as Crown Princess and that is that one must be careful that the Crown Prince does not look the fool and superficial beside her.

What Royal Family whose success is precarious at best wants to give such power to a woman who marries into the role when they can see that the same woman can take that power and turn it against the royal family if she so desires? The Spanish monarchy is rather fragile and so it makes sense that they are careful, but I think the result is a tragedy for Letizia as a woman.

{Response to deleted post removed - Elspeth}

Last edited by a moderator:
That is true. I believe the problem is that Letizia misjudged what she was getting into. She had a good career, caught a prince and thought that from now on she would automatically be one of the most admired and respected women in Spain and that she was simply perfect for the job (what could have been true). Well, it turned out differently and she somehow seems to be in a state of shock about the constant critizism and respectless media attitude towards her. When I see her I wish she would relax and just be herself and not think about possible mistakes or what people think of her. Instead there always this tension, trying hard to prove that she's up to the job and people feel that. When looking at the Letizia around engagement time I think it's a fact that Zarzuela made her change her personality / appearance to a high degree - at least in public and therefore she's still struggling. Her role and her personality are worlds apart but must somehow be matched - that causes a lot of stress, I believe, not being allowed to be herself.

Furthermore, Letizia was somehow "thrown" at the spanish public, meaning that she did not have to go through the fire before marriage that all the others had to endure - just remember Mette-Marit or Maxima - but this time is important to help clearing all irritations and smoothening the way for respect and admiration. I understand Felipe's reasons to go this way - thinking of Eva Sannum - but by presenting Letizia instantly as his fiancee he tried to suppress the critizism that has now constantly found its way during the past four years. In my opinion the "Maxima way" is much better - clear all the controversial stuff beforehand, even if it means a controversial discussion with the public, media and the parents, but finally backing and standing by the woman and getting married to her brings along respect. Willem Alexander went that way and he and Maxima came out very strong whilst Felipe gave in to his parents and the media with Eva Sannum - a big mistake if he really loved her - and tried to cowardly outwit the media and the public when presenting Letzia, with her bossy nature and divorcee past, an attitude that has clearly backfired since shortly after their marriage when looking at the big picture.

Oh come on, even someone with Sofia's caliber who didn't get admired or respected at the very beginning. Letizia was fully aware that the public scrunity she was going to face at the time of engagement, that was mentioned in her boss Urdaci's book. He even encouraged her at that time that with her character, drive and the same efforts she put in her journalist career, she would overcome all the difficulties and do very well. The only surprise she had was a certain veteran journalist (Jaime P) would write any rumors without verification since Letizia herself had always verified the news until the last minute. But she seemed to get used to it after a while.

For Felipe, according to his biographer Jose Apezarena, he was never bothered being photographed with any woman he was dating, but he was fully aware the consequences for the women. From the day on that they had a date with the prince, their lives changed. It was pretty much women's calls if they wanted to be known dating the Prince or not. Did you not read the article written by Letizia's friend from CNN, mentioned that she had dinner with Letizia and a couple of other friends in June 2003, Felipe suddenly showed up and sat next to Letizia. Felipe just came from outside Madrid, wanted to see her, thus he came to the restaurant directly. Her former boss had mentioned in his book that he warned Letizia in Sept 2003 about the paparazzis after she was seen at a bar with Felipe. According some royal insiders, Felipe had always been very honest with them on the women he had been dating. Maybe a certain sector of press didn't know, it probably had a lot to do with their short courtship, not Felipe tried to outwit the press.

For Letizia, she wished that the relationship was handled discreetly since she was afraid it would do damage to her career, her independence, her credibility. That's perfectly understandable. She had worked so hard to get where she was, she didn't want any risk to put her seriousity as a journalist in question. Actually all the media heavy weights who could make a difference knew about their relation before the engagement. The head of royal household had even paid a visit to Federico Jimnez Losantos and his radio station who had millions of followers to ask for his opinions on the engagement annoucement (that was written in his biography). The yellow press was annoying at most, without letting them know, it saved Letizia being harrassed as ex Isabel Sartorius, but the yellow press was pretty much insignificant on whom the Prince could marry.

Backfire ? What had backfired ? From the engagment until now, most of the press Letizia got in Spain was very positive, the only worrysomes they had at the beginning was that she was not able to take a backseat to Felipe, she already proved that she could do that. A couple of journalists always criticized her no matter what she did, that's about all. Of course for certain posters who always looked for negative news, that was probably all they wanted to read.

Each country has its own job description, own media's temperament. Maxima could call WA stupid at the engagement, wear Valentino's wedding gown, have very exaggerated gestures, often popped in front of WA as if she was the one going to reign, that didn't bother the friendly Dutch media, not it was particularly wrong IMO, but she probably would have faced heavy criticisms in Spain if she were the one to marry Felipe. For the Princes' ex girls being rejected, I'm pretty sure everyone had one or two. WA had dated a local girl Emily Bremer for 4 years right before Maxima and Emily had never been accepted by Queen Beatrice. At the end of the day, Felipe was pretty sure what other qualities he was looking for in a woman besides being in love and stood by it, just read what he had been saying at his 35th birthday in 2003.

"So the future queen must understand, appreciate, and know how to represent that function in Spanish society."
"I won't abandon my aim to marry someone I'm in love with, someone with whom I have an honest, profound relationship on which to base a family, common values and interests that will allow us to share a family and professional life… to serve Spain in the best way possible."

I'LL MARRY FOR LOVE, SAYS SPAIN'S CROWN PRINCE

Last edited:
There is a balance that can be reached. Even if she were to only take on a few causes of her own it would be something for her to work on independently but she could still support Felipe at all of his engagements. Like I said earlier Letizia looks, to me, like a shadow of her former self, she is so frail looking now and I don’t mean either of those as an insult but when I look at her I don’t see Letizia I see Felipe’s wife and I find that sad considering the independent, successful woman she once was. All of the princesses sacrificed parts of themselves when they married into their royal families but none to the level that Letizia has.

I could not agree more. There is no question that a consort has to take the backseat but please, not to the extent of becoming an accessory as in Letizia's case whose assets have completely been denied so far. Even if time will set the record straight and it will be for the greater good, this is what I think, very sad: (Ysbel, I could not have said it better myself!)

Ysbel
The Spanish monarchy is rather fragile and so it makes sense that they are careful, but I think the result is a tragedy for Letizia as a woman.

{response to deleted post removed - Elspeth}

Plus lots of acts are for both of them. I think right now it's pretty much their own choices to go to lots of acts together because they like working together that had been said by Felipe in the past, I'm sure now he has good comparisons with his single days or when Letizia was on maternity leaves.
Are their engagements really for the both of them? Would Felipe not still be carrying out the same engagements if he were still single? If they like working together, then they should but they should have let them have their own individual events also. I am very glad that Letizia is now carry out her own events, I really do believe that only accompanying Felipe on his must have been very hard for such a previously independent, successful woman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most I talk to think that Willem-Alexander is stupid, lazy, drinks a lot, and the only smart thing he did was to marry Maxima. What kind of loyalty are people going to have to Willem-Alexander as King if they think so little of his personal worth?

I know it's off topic but I don't think this is true. No question that WA used to have this "Prins Pils" image in earlier days but since Maxima arrived he has moved on and nowadays he is much respected in his own fields of interests and well recognized as a capable heir - and the same goes for Maxima, as his consort.

She knew very well where she was gettting into! She married Filipe because she loves him and she knew that she will have to end her carrer and everything she was living at that moment for love....I think that she is the type of person that dress according to what she belives is the right way, although people could say that she should be dressed the other way, I think that shes is the kind of person that will keep doing all public acts with her husband, despite people are telling that she should have more solo events, I think that she is the kind of person that wants to keep their children in privacy, despite people are saying that she should show the little kids more, despite everthing that is said about her they will do what they want and what they suppose is right for them.

It is curious like the things get confused. It seems that in order that someone demonstrates that is intelligent or that does the things well, it has to be always the star ... and it is not always like that. Many things in this world work because the persons who are in a background do well their work.

These women were good at their respective works, but now they have a new work and must adjust to the rules of this work. These women have worked, have had chiefs, persons who were over them, persons who were benefiting from their work, and sometimes their work will have been recognized and others not. Now their situation is not different, they have to occupy a place in a company called "Royal Family".

I believe that a person can feel totally realized in her work without for it to have to be the star. The best form in which Letizia can serve the Spanish, is helping to that her husband turns into a more known and respected personage. In an occasion, a familiar journalist of the King was writing that the Princess was declaring herself "Felipista" ... this it is the whole declaration of intentions. On having married the prince she had the whole attention, all the protagonism ... and it had been very easy to take advantage of it and to turn her into a very popular personage. But this it would be a reputation passenger and the people would have felt that she had it too easy. Probably would be considered to be only a personage of the magazines or of the television that in Spain they abound very much, and not as the wife of the future Chief of State.

On having resigned this popularity that so much it can dazzle, and demonstrate that she is capable of occupying the background that corresponds to her, with absolute discretion and vocation of service ... the respect of the people is gained. The people will think that she has not had it so easy, that has had to resign something and to begin from below. The King has repeated his son " The Wreath must earn every day ", and somehow it has made Letizia to learn from below.

The increase of her activity is progressive and slow. For her marriage, she received several appointments,but they wanted to wait that passes a time, to that she was working a time as Princess in order that she was receiving them. I always be been sure that there would come a moment in which the Princess would be gaining more protagonism in solitarily, and for what I read in the press of her activities and meetings, do not have any doubt that she is perfectly capable and she does well her work.

It is evident that the Spanish Royal House has focused the things of a different form, probably of the form that they believe that it has been better for their country. Also their experience has been different, as says the Queen they knew what was " not to be anybody ", and had to overcome many things to be those who are today.

I find it very difficult to know what Letizia's personality is... although she's obviously an achiever and must have been ambitious (not a bad thing, IMO!). But I also find it disturbing that she isn't allowed to do more things on her own, develop separate interests from her husband. She always seems to be his accessory, in much the same way that he wears a tie. Surely her talents could be used in a better way.

I feel it but this debate always seems to me to be paradoxical. In the last months the Princess has begun to do acts in solitarily, but when she does them in solitarily, the commentaries that are read in this forums are the same that when she accompanies the Prince ... the majority is interested more in the suit she dresses and if she repeats clothes, that in the act to the one that goes or in what are employed the persons whom she receives.

And calm, the Princess will be increasing her activities progressively. At the moment, the agendas of hearings already are separated.

For the present time in the next weeks, I conform that appear in some act, because the agenda makes sad.:ermm:

What I don't understand is why a great woman like her should be relegated as "wife of". There's no more hurtful form of despise, IMO of course. If she likes it this way, good for her but it's such a shame for people. She needs to exist and I'm not talking about being the star or whatever ; it's about being someone who lives for her ideas and wishes, not by her husband's.

Simply it is a question of time, she already has her activities in solitarily, and in others she accompanies her husband, and the firsts have been increasing in the last months. Her agenda always is busy enough.

They are never going to have two totally independent agendas like they seem to have other inheritors, who with the exception of the trips realize few activities together ... this it has never been the way of working of the Spanish Royal Family. There are acts that for its characteristics it is interesting that both come, and acts to which not. Like it is important that they travel together to different parts of Spain.

Back
Top Bottom