Prince Felipe's 40th Birthday: January 30, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She doesn't have any disease. Vicious tongues were circulating a rumor she was 'ill' as a baby.

Thank you so much for the answer. I was hoping it was not true. She looks like such a healthy, happy child. You can tell both of the girls are so loved.

Having watched the video I find Felipe quite relaxed and on top of things. He has the potential of becoming a cool dad whilst Letizia is quite annoying with her controlling and overprotective streak, a true perfectionist mother :eek: Leonor is only two but luckily she already has the guts to take her own decision regarding how (or if at all) to sing or read or ride the bike :D As we can see, Felipe already knows how to ease up such situations and to take the pressure off his little girl. They'll have a very close bond, no question. Letizia should have a look at Mette Marit or Maxima who are relaxed and at ease with themselves what reflects on the children who usually have big smiles on their faces. This is what I meant with serious atmosphere in my earlier post, the family activities were a bit forced and lacked the ease and a relaxed and confident manner that royal families with young children usually show off at such rare occasions.

Obviously you see what you want to see. Ingrid seemed a little temperamental when she was around 2, Alexia usually ended up crying at the photo sessions until recently, not their mothers' fault though :cool:. I don't think Leonor smiled less than the Dutch or Norwegian kids in public in general. Leonor didn't ride the bike at ease last Nov otherwise the video would have been more fun.
Leonor has Borbon spirit, much like her cousin Froilan. She has her daddy wrapped around her little finger and did what she wanted with him. I don't know if you are a mother or not, it's better one of the parents has some authorities over the kids at the house.

(lula) These days I have had the opportunity to see many images, and really it is a shame that the Princess has lost this attitude opened of her first two appearances ... but nobody can blame her with it, probably if she was receiving a more respectful and just treatment, she would not need this cuirass.

This is exactly what I am speaking of ... so awful that the media coverage has developped such an importancy that it is able to influence the appearance of a princess or her familiy ... it started with the white Armani suit and has never stopped. Zarzuela have chosen not to give protection in the early stages and now it becomes difficult to push the media back to the boundaries they belong. Too bad because this family has so much potential to be an asset for the country in terms of coverage ... just look at their Xmas card, this is the atmosphere that should come across at such a rare shoot.

(donnaK) Obviously you see what you want to see. Ingrid seemed a little temperamental when she was around 2, Alexia usually ended up crying at the photo sessions until recently, not their mothers' fault though :cool:. I don't think Leonor smiled less than the Dutch or Norwegian kids in public in general. Leonor didn't ride the bike at ease last Nov otherwise the video would have been more fun.
This is what I am talking about - fun. A young family enjoying themselves and if the children cry or are temperamental doesn't matter. You can whipe it away with a smile because it's the reality of a family. Of course Leonor does not smile less than other children, rather the other way around, and this is what I missed at the shoot, letting her be and run around, a lively young girl. No pressure to prove something, at least I don't feel the need to see that Leonor can ride a bike or know a song perfectly at her age or that the Princess is responsible for the every day discipline because her daughter has Daddy in her pocket :D

Duke, if Leonor has appeared in her bicycle or with her stories it is because it is what normally she does, in my opinion what happens is that the girl was more hanging than existed around that of what she was doing.:lol: In addition, we have not seen a followed image, but a few images with enough cuts. The video they were not only these scenes, were 80 more minutes, so the scenes are cut enough.

On the other hand, there is something very important that you obviate or not know. The Royal House has learned of the mistakes. Froilán, was the first grandson of the kings, a funny and naughty child, that the press and the people were charmed with. The press imposed Froilán's name, when for his family he was Felipe. Initially everything was very nice and the child was very dear, but as the years were passing, the enterteining thing turned into object of critique, for seeing in him a child not polite. And the wedding of the Prince came, and the kick, and with it the critiques and the jeers came. And with it the problems of the child in the school. From there Froilán it remained almost hidden in Leonor's baptism, and whenever he turns out to be more serious in the meetings photos. Of there it careful that have to be the Princes with Leonor, she is a nice girl and with character, which now gains with facility the fondness of the people, but they have to control her attitude publicly, because the cameras are going to be present all her life, and it would be a major problem if with her ocurries that happened with Felipe Juan Froilán.

I have 2 grandchildren, just a little older than Leonor and Sofia. You always want them to behave well in public, but however well you try to guide and train them they are little individuals. Sometimes they behave badly, sometimes they freeze up and won't speak or do what they are asked. You just have to keep hoping that by the time they are a little older your good work will have bourne fruit!

El Príncipe que yo conozco · ELPAÍS.com

The Prince that I know

Political, syndicalist, writers and scientists offer their vision of Felipe de Borbón, which on Wednesday expires 40 years, he trains to be a king and he likes that they speak to him clearly

After an exhausting day replete with official acts, at high hours of the night, Felipe de Borbón y Grecia revises with meticulousness those who will be his words of the following day. Up to the last moment he does manuscript annotations on the sheets of paper. It is a habit that he does not neglect just before any public intervention. " He is a tidy and meticulous man, qualities that I value very much ", assures Manuel Marín, president of the Congress.
(...)

In the same way as a few given verses establish a discreet difference in his speeches, also a part of his activity during the last 12 years, which go from the ending of his studies up to today, she has been directed not only to guaranteeing his preparation and to knowing the reality of the country in the one that he has to reign some day, but also to be announcing without altering the distances. This difficult balance has not prevented, nevertheless, that still today a wide majority of Spanish does not know very well how he is actually the prince of Asturias. A slightly rigid image still chases him, fills completely of formalism and coldness, very different from the one that demonstrate those who could have coexisted with him in the last times.

Felipe de Borbón, who on Wednesday will expire 40 years, it is destined to be some day Felipe VI, king of Spain. He will be the first Spanish king with university degree educated in the public school, completed his formation in a North American university.
(...)

His activity since then has been directed to consolidate his preparation for this task. He has shown itself in institutional acts, has used the time that has considered to be necessary in couple found, has married, has had two daughters - the infantas Leonor and Sofia - and with the " stubborn witness of the sea against the shore ", as he said with other verses given in a speech, Felipe de Borbón has not failed to take advantage of any occasion (so much publicly like privately) to take the pulse to the reality and to be leaving fingerprint of his inclinations.
(...)

Warm, curious, worried for the matters that they concern the planet in a set, there are already numerous the witnesses who affirm that the inheritor of the Spanish Wreath has come to the maturity prepared for what has to come.-

Having watched the video I find Felipe quite relaxed and on top of things. He has the potential of becoming a cool dad whilst Letizia is quite annoying with her controlling and overprotective streak, a true perfectionist mother :eek: Leonor is only two but luckily she already has the guts to take her own decision regarding how (or if at all) to sing or read or ride the bike :D As we can see, Felipe already knows how to ease up such situations and to take the pressure off his little girl. They'll have a very close bond, no question. Letizia should have a look at Mette Marit or Maxima who are relaxed and at ease with themselves what reflects on the children who usually have big smiles on their faces. This is what I meant with serious atmosphere in my earlier post, the family activities were a bit forced and lacked the ease and a relaxed and confident manner that royal families with young children usually show off at such rare occasions.

i hope that you are a parent yourself or have a lot of knowledge about parenting so you could disparage Princess Letizia as controlling and overprotective and ask her to look at other mothers, who live in different countries and have different orientations on life, to learn how to raise her own children.

I have 2 grandchildren, just a little older than Leonor and Sofia. You always want them to behave well in public, but however well you try to guide and train them they are little individuals. Sometimes they behave badly, sometimes they freeze up and won't speak or do what they are asked. You just have to keep hoping that by the time they are a little older your good work will have bourne fruit!

thank you for that. sometimes people forget that they are also human, and that the girls are just like other kids who will be kids whatever the situation is.

on the brighter side, I am liking Leo's pink bonnet with the black ribbon. looks 1920-ish to me, very chic, i say. ;)

Last edited:
Diariocrítico - Opinión Cantando los cuarenta

Singing the forties

Already I know that the conversations deprived with members of the House of the King must adjust to the discretion and not to be broadcast, precisely. But I am not thinking about damaging any secret of State, far from it, if I tell a anecdote that it has to see with the imminent birthday of the Prince Felipe. We were recording his intervention with destination to the inauguration of a congress of journalism that this Monday begins in Burgos and that I direct and, at the conclusion of the recording, I wanted to know if there was some type of special celebration of the efeméride, beyond the well-known programs of television and of the photographies, not too spontaneous, that have spread in these dates across the agencies. Not special at all, he said to me, and added at once: " good, this year I will have a little voice that, for the first time in my life, will say to me "congratulations, daddy", and it is very special for me ' ".

I don't see princess Letizia controling Leonor in any scene, She is just caring about her little child, People ALWAYS want to compare Princess Letizia with other Princesses, as if they were better than Princess Letizia, THIS IS JUST RIDILIOUS.

I hate that kind of things.

Last edited:
I don't see princess Letizia controlling Leonor in any scene, She is just caring about her little child, People ALWAYS want to compare Princess Letizia with othe Princesses, as if they were better than Princess Letizia, THIS IS JUST RIDILICOUS.

I hate that kind if things.

I hate it too Catago.

Princess Letizia has proven to be a good mother, sweet and attentive. Princess Mettet Marit has 8888888 videos from her family's privacy, and it is normal that she is so relaxed and natural.
This was the first time that the cameras came to the Princes Asturias house to see their daily lives. They are not accustomed to show their privacy in a video like other royal houses do.
In any case, the video is precious. :flowers:

Many people criticized because they has nothing more interesting to do ...

The comparing one Royal Family to another just amazes me. Each CP family seems to be modern royals taking on their role as parents. Their children seem to be upmost in their hearts and minds. When I watched the video all I saw was two parents that love their precious little girls very much. I never saw Letizia trying to control anything.

I always find it so sad when people can do nothing but cut her down in everything she is trying to do. Her hair is horrible, her clothing is horrible, the open toed shoes and the stockings. (This is one I am really sick of hearing about) When you look at the other Royal ladies they do the same thing. Why all the dislike for Letizia? I just do not understand it.

Evidentley the CP loves her very much as so many pictures show. He must have thought she could fulfill all the requirements to be the future Queen. The Queen seems to be very close to her, and I am sure she takes her under he wing to teach her as much as she can.

Maybe we could try to find something positive about her. She has not had the easiest life the last few years. I think she is learning the role as the future Queen of Spain beautifully. She is loving and caring towards the people. Her life is her family it is so obivious. That is the way it should always be.

Un Príncipe identificado con los españoles

A Prince identified with the Spanish

The Prince of Asturias, at his 40 years, is a man identified with the Spanish and because of it he has been the first Inheritor of the Wreath in having a licentiate, presenting a program of television, intervening in an syndical act, being present at a manifestation or to marry the professional one of the communication.

catango said:
I don't see princess Letizia controling Leonor in any scene, She is just caring about her little child, People ALWAYS want to compare Princess Letizia with other Princesses, as if they were better than Princess Letizia, THIS IS JUST RIDILIOUS.

I hate that kind of things.

I agree I hate this kind of things too, these comparisons are RIDICULOUS and STUPID..
"She should take a look to this or that Princess.." My God what is that?? :bang:

This is exactly what I am speaking of ... so awful that the media coverage has developped such an importancy that it is able to influence the appearance of a princess or her familiy ... it started with the white Armani suit and has never stopped. Zarzuela have chosen not to give protection in the early stages and now it becomes difficult to push the media back to the boundaries they belong. Too bad because this family has so much potential to be an asset for the country in terms of coverage ... just look at their Xmas card, this is the atmosphere that should come across at such a rare shoot.

I agree if Zarzuela had chosen to protect Letizia and her family just a little bit at the beginning, maybe Penafiel wouldn't dare to throw the rock at JC and Sofia this time.
I think only at the beginning certain negative press had some impacts (ex. Armani suits, don't talk with hand gestures), but not lately. I don't think the Princes care what Jaime P or Paloma B has to say. Anyway, over the years, the positive press vs. negative press is at least 9:1, I wouldn't say the PoA family hasn't been an asset for the positive press coverage. From what I heard, in general the press applauded this photoshoot. Of course there are certain people always looking for every single negative article out there.

This is what I am talking about - fun. A young family enjoying themselves and if the children cry or are temperamental doesn't matter. You can whipe it away with a smile because it's the reality of a family. Of course Leonor does not smile less than other children, rather the other way around, and this is what I missed at the shoot, letting her be and run around, a lively young girl. No pressure to prove something, at least I don't feel the need to see that Leonor can ride a bike or know a song perfectly at her age or that the Princess is responsible for the every day discipline because her daughter has Daddy in her pocket :D

We already saw Leonor running around more than once, at Sofia's baptism or in front of the hospital, it probably gets boring to see it again. I doubt they were trying to prove anything. Riding a bike, reading stories or singing might just be what Leonor does everyday since she has been in daycare full time for a while. On Letizia being responsible for the discipline, when Letizia told Leonor to put back the microphones and she did just that in front of the hospital, people already knew.

Last edited:
Thanks for the huge pics Bonbon :flowers:
There are no words for those girls, two living dolls they are beautiful!. But I still wonder when are they going to pierce their ears..

I could eat Sofia, she's so adorable and precious! :wub::wub:

Princess Mettet Marit has 8888888 videos from her family's privacy, and it is normal that she is so relaxed and natural.
Sorry, Camarina, but this is NOT true. :eek:

Mette-Marit is the Crown Princess who keeps her children furthermost away from the camera!
We saw Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus in Summer 2008 ; then we had to wait about 5 months until the children were shown during Christmas photos.
Other little children are definitely seen in public moreoften.
Sverre Magnus, for example, hasn't even been shown during his first day in nursery school.
So, please.. this comparison is highly overdone and not true.

Last edited:
I think we cannot say how a family is just from a video or some pictures. Pictures are taken at that exact moment and they reveal just what they want so we can see that they are a happy family indeed but I think we cannot say mucht more, because it doesn't show us their daiyl life, their daily routine or how Letizia handle their children every day. It is impossible to say something more concret about their lifes just with some pictures and a few minutes video.

Of course the pictures are very cute. Both girls are pretty-
but when I saw the video, it stroke me how unnatural it all was. I found the whole thing extremely staged, even more than necessary.

I have to say, their home looks very, very nice. Simply tastefull !

Sorry, Camarina, but this is NOT true. :eek:

Mette-Marit is the Crown Princess who keeps her children furthermost away from the camera!
We saw Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus in Summer 2008 ; then we had to wait about 5 months until the children were shown during Christmas photos.
Other little children are definitely seen in public moreoften.
Sverre Magnus, for example, hasn't even been shown during his first day in nursery school.
So, please.. this comparison is highly overdone and not true.

I refer to that Haakon and Mette-Marit have shown their private life in some videos before (I have not counted) ,and that for the princes of Asturias this is the first time that they do it.
I do not like to compare but I had to respond to another post.

El Príncipe suspende la visita sorpresa de mañana a los soldados en Líbano por climatología adversa. europapress.es

Prince suspends the surprise visit of tomorrow to the soldiers in The Lebanon for adverse climatology

The Prince has suspended the surprise visit that was foreseeing to do tomorrow the soldiers in The Lebanon to celebrate with them his 40 anniversary for meteorological adverse conditions, informed today Europa Press a speaker of Royal House.

In its place, Don Felipe will support tomorrow a video conference with the Spanish quota that takes part in the Provisional Force of United Nations in The Lebanon (FINUL), from the sedate of the General Staff of the Defense.

The Prince - whose trip to The Lebanon was thinking to promise to be in the last moment for safety reasons - supports nevertheless his interest to visit " when it could be possible " to 1.100 soldiers who take part in the FINUL, indicated the same source, which added that Don Felipe will celebrate his birthday, at the conclusion of the labour day, with a family dinner.

And where will he be at his 40' birthday celebration? Teher will not be anything "official"? :ermm:

Vanesa.

Antena 3 will also have a special program about Felipe's 40th on thursday does anyone know what time?, Thanks :)

Bummer :sad:
Thanks for the link though!! :flowers:

Libertad Digital: Zapatero felicita al Príncipe Felipe con una carta en Público

Zapatero congratulates to Prince Felipe with a letter in Public the president of the Government has congratulated to Prince Felipe by his 40º anniversary in a published open letter in the new head of lefts, Public. In the writing and after the shock of the financial markets, Rodriguez Zapatero applauds that Spain is revealing "the potential of an economy that accumulates fifteen years of growth".

Libertad Digital: El Príncipe celebra su cumpleaños felicitando a las tropas españolas en Líbano
The Prince celebrates his birthday congratulating to the Spanish troops in Lebanon In his 40 birthdays, Prince Felipe will not make celebrations special and will connect in videoconferencia with the Spanish troops destined in Lebanon to congratulate to them by his important work. At first it was predicted that it visited the military, but the metereológicas conditions have prevented it. Thus, it follows the example of his father who is used to celebrating his birthdays along with mixing his activities like King his family

Libertad Digital: LA TRAYECTORIA DEL HEREDERO DE LA CORONA

The TRAJECTORY Of the HEIR OF the CROWN Prince de Asturias has made a total of 4,530 official activities and 170 trips to the foreigner from 1996, year in which finalized its academic and military preparation and initiated its trajectory like Heir of Corona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom