Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia's Visit to Argentina: September 2-9, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
Prince Felipe will travel the first days of September to Argentina with those responsible for the bid to prepare his speech. The Prince is receiving much praise for his work with them.

Princess Letizia will travel later, with other Spanish authorities, to be in the official acts of the election.

(casareal)

Don Felipe, along with the rest of the delegation, will prepare the content of the application. Letizia will join later to participate in the activities of support and attend the final presentation.

Buenos Aires will host the 125th Session of the International Olympic Committee, which will decide the venue of the 2020 Olympics, with Istanbul, Tokyo and Madrid as candidate cities. The respective delegations will make their final presentations to the IOC before the final vote.

His Royal Highness the Prince of Asturias, honorary chairman of the bid, will lead the delegation and participate as a speaker in the final presentation. Don Felipe will be in Buenos Aires from September 2 to develop a program of activities to support Madrid 2020 and prepare the presentation. Letizia will travel to Buenos Aires and join the group on September 5 together with various persons/authorities to support the nomination.

The 125th Session of the International Olympic Committee held its opening ceremony at the Teatro Colon in Argentina's capital on Friday, September 6. Madrid's presentation ceremony 2020 and the announcement of the city chosen will take place on Saturday, September 7, at the Hilton Hotel Buenos Aires.

it seems like madrid has got a fair chance of winning, or so i hear! although tokyo or istanbul would also be fantastic choices, out of them all i think madrid stands a very good chance!

I think it will be between Madrid & Istanbul, as Tokyo as problems with the ruclear reactor & earthquakes these days.

Trust me, as someone who knows Istanbul quite well, it will be better for everyone if it won't be in Istanbul. I love the city and lived there for couple of years, but it will be terrible for the Olympics.

Letizia is gonna be working on a WEEKEND? :eek:
Color me surprised ;)

I don't know how good this bid is, remember what happened to Greece with the Athens Olympics, crisis has hit Spain hard and this could lead the country further into deficit, great news in terms of sports and world visibility but not the smartest move in terms of economy.

The government and the royal house are pushing this hard right now (even harder than the 2016 bid) because it would serve as an excellent smoke curtain to buy them time to "fix" certain issues.

Sorry for being so cynical but I say things as I see them.

Do we know when Letizia arrives? I also thought Felipe would have been accompanied by aunty Pilar who's an honorary President.

Last edited by a moderator:
Istanbul is certainly the 'hip' city at the moment, it would mean games on two continents in one venue, while the recent political turmoil left a bad aftertaste, erdogan could use this momentum to appear 'democratic' or 'western' and do an image whitewash of turkey on their way to the EU.

Spain certainly has the infrastructure and some great venues, its the safer (but more boring) choice. I am sure Felipe will be a good presenter. The country is basically bankrupt, not sure how the effect of the games would work out. The football clubs still afford 100 Mio players without anyone complaining so maybe more debt for sport is ok.

Tokyo hosted the Olympic Games in 1964. I doubt Tokyo needs hustle and bustle of this lackluster sporting event.
I am not sure about Istanbul and Madrid. Hopefully Prince Felipe will succeed in getting the games.

Back
Top Bottom