Prince and Princess of Asturias's Visit to the Vatican: June 28, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is that usual protocol? To hold a congregant's hand? Tell me what is usual.

Originally posted by Bubbette@Jun 29th, 2004 - 7:43 am
Is that usual protocol? To hold a congregant's hand? Tell me what is usual.
I have no idea. It's just what I read--and he didn't hold it for the entire time, he apparently just took hold of it once in a while in an affectionate manner. Again, it's just what I read. Perhaps since it was, technically, a private call? It's not the norm for him to receive people in his private library either and to have some minutes of completly private conversation; nor is it the norm for him to send a personal blessing like the one read at the wedding--it's all signs of his respect and sincere affection for the Spanish Royal family.

In any case, I was just trying to make the point that it seemed kind of petty, to me (and with all respect to the opinions of the poster of the makeup question) to question if Letizia's makeup was not quite modest enough when the entire meeting was warm and positive, the Pope was smiling and content, Felipe as well, and Letizia not only looked wonderful, but acted in all moments with perfect grace, respect and discretion.

We don't need to knit-pick these women to death every time there is one little detail we might not like!

I have never see Crown Prince Felipe grow beard before.. He look good with beard.. He and his wife look great couple.....

Karla

Why do the women have to wear black when visiting the Pope? Is it simpy protocol? Also, are the women told in advance what to wear because i've noticed that even the non-Catholic women dress like Letizia when meeting the Pope ex. Queen Rania and Queen Elizabeth.

Originally posted by ~*~Humera~*~@Jun 29th, 2004 - 1:42 pm
Why do the women have to wear black when visiting the Pope? Is it simpy protocol? Also, are the women told in advance what to wear because i've noticed that even the non-Catholic women dress like Letizia when meeting the Pope ex. Queen Rania and Queen Elizabeth.
i don't think it's compulsory... maria teresa of luxembourg wore white in her visit

Years (and I do mean years ago, so it may have changed), I knew someone in the foreign service who told me that all ladies , regardless of religious preference or background, were supposed to wear dark dresses and head coverings when meeting the Pope. I guess it's probably more a sign of respect than anything else. Like I said, this was a while ago, so things may have changed in the years. For my part, whenever I see news pix of the Pope with visitors such as Letizia, etc, they're always wearing black dresses with hats.

Originally posted by ~*~Humera~*~@Jun 29th, 2004 - 1:42 pm
The Catholic Queens of Spain and Belgium, the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, the Archduchesses of Habsburg, the Princesses of Savoia and some ancient Roman noble families have the privilège du blanc.

Everyone else must wear black!!! On the GREMB they are all wondering what Maxima will wear once she becomes Queen. She is, after all, still Catholic but will have a Protestant King/husband.

Originally posted by Lyonnaise+Jun 29th, 2004 - 3:17 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lyonnaise @ Jun 29th, 2004 - 3:17 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-~*~Humera~*~@Jun 29th, 2004 - 1:42 pm
The Catholic Queens of Spain and Belgium, the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, the Archduchesses of Habsburg, the Princesses of Savoia and some ancient Roman noble families have the privilège du blanc.

Everyone else must wear black!!! On the GREMB they are all wondering what Maxima will wear once she becomes Queen. She is, after all, still Catholic but will have a Protestant King/husband. [/b][/quote]
why only those people? perhaps of the official religion in those countries since the beggining of their history? :)

that's true... i think maxima will have to wear black. although she is catholic, she is representing a protestant country, and maybe officially she must wear black.

Originally posted by carlota@Jun 29th, 2004 - 10:33 pm
why only those people? perhaps of the official religion in those countries since the beggining of their history? :)
Yup, i belive that is beacuse their countries official religion in catholicism :)

so letizia could have worn white, couldn't her?

Originally posted by carlota@Jun 30th, 2004 - 2:38 am
I think the privilege du blanc is only for Catholic Queens, princesses should wear black.

Originally posted by nouwrein+Jun 30th, 2004 - 7:48 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nouwrein @ Jun 30th, 2004 - 7:48 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-carlota@Jun 30th, 2004 - 2:38 am
I think the privilege du blanc is only for Catholic Queens, princesses should wear black. [/b][/quote]
That's rigth :) Letizia only will wear white when she became Queen, until them, and if she made another visit to the Pope, she will wear black ;)

But can they wear other colour or only black and white?

About that i don't don't, but i remember that, when the Kings of Jordan visited the Pope, Queen Rania wore a pearl coloured suit and she was critiziced because of that. In another hand, Queen Elizabeth II wore black in her visit to the Pope and she's also a non-catholic queen.

I will try to found out about this ;)

Originally posted by carlota@Jun 30th, 2004 - 2:38 am
I don't think so, because she's princess, not queen. When she will be Queen of Spain, she'll be allowed to wear white.

why only those people? perhaps of the official religion in those countries since the beggining of their history?

Yup, i belive that is beacuse their countries official religion in catholicism

Spain is a non-confessional secular country, although most Spanish are Catholic. I thind that the reason of this privilege is just tradition.

Originally posted by xicamaluca@Jun 30th, 2004 - 5:54 am
About that i don't don't, but i remember that, when the Kings of Jordan visited the Pope, Queen Rania wore a pearl coloured suit and she was critiziced because of that. In another hand, Queen Elizabeth II wore black in her visit to the Pope and she's also a non-catholic queen.

I found that funny being criticized for wearing other colors. Queen Rania is not a catholics or a christian, why should she stick to christian protocol?

Also queen sophia does not age much, she still looks about the same as when she was 30 years ago. I found that amazing. some age well, sophia and sonja and qeen elizabeth with less wrinkles, but others changes much.

Originally posted by lori@Jun 30th, 2004 - 7:25 pm
I found that funny being criticized for wearing other colors. Queen Rania is not a catholics or a christian, why should she stick to christian protocol?
Probably because others non-catholic Queens wore black (Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Margrethe, Queen Silvia, Queen Sonja)

Originally posted by lori+Jun 30th, 2004 - 2:25 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lori @ Jun 30th, 2004 - 2:25 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-xicamaluca@Jun 30th, 2004 - 5:54 am

I found that funny being criticized for wearing other colors. Queen Rania is not a catholics or a christian, why should she stick to christian protocol?[/b][/quote]
Out of respect. Just as a western woman--out of respect--should cover her head when going into a mosque, for example.

Is it bad of me to think that Letizia looked nicer visiting the Pope than on her wedding day? She looked great on her wedding day but looked WOW during the Vatican visit. The simple black dress and mantilla with a hint of colour from her blue sash/order.. WOW!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Lyonnaise@Jul 1st, 2004 - 3:41 am
Prince Felipe looks as if he's acting a part of a Shakespearean play in the last picture :lol: ...
I'd the same impression :p

...The simple black dress and mantilla with a hint of colour from her blue sash/order.. WOW!!!

And you're right, Letizia realy looked amazing with a mantilla.

Is it bad of me to think that Letizia looked nicer visiting the Pope than on her wedding day?

No. I also think the same. Her face and hair looks worlds better, very beautiful and together than on her wedding day.

I'd say its got a lot to do with the lighting and the angle from which they -- the photographers -- take the shot.

The first Radiance looks very good, and the second Bland looks not so much ascharming, but "steals the show".

The second "Radiance" doesn't do much for me.
And the first "Bland" is another side of Letizia and I notice there is no sunlight, so nothing to "highlight" her.

Just an observation,I won't mention the other? ;)

Alisa, I think it has something to do with the lighting, I mean indoor shots are different from outdoor ones, and probably the make-up too. But I think she does not look bland at all (bland = flat, lacking stimulating characteristics; uninteresting), IMO :flower:

Back
Top Bottom