Prince & Princess of Asturias's Official Visit to the USA: October 4-8, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lucys

Courtier
I forgot--I meant to post the agenda for Monday and Tuesday in New Mexico, USA. They arrive I think on Sunday, but events are Monday and Tuesday.

--They will be participating in some ceremonies and events at the University of Mexico in relation to the Prince of Asturias endowed chair in Information Science.
--Governor Bill Richardson and his wife will host a dinner in their honor at the Governor's mansion.
--On Tuesday they break ground for phase three of the National Hispanic Cultural Center, which will include the International Building, to be named the Prince of Asturias International Building.

They are there from Oct. 4 to Oct. 8. I think the other two days may be DC or NYC. That's all I know for now.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the information..........

I read some more about their trip to the USA. I don't think that we will see many photos. A lot of the events and meetings are closed events, even in New Mexico. But, here's what I learned about DC and NYC.

In DC they will have a bunch of meetings/receptions in one day. They will host a morning/breakfast reception for the Young Hispanic Leaders Organization; they will host a reception for the Chair, students and investigators of the Prince of Asturias Chair of International Affairs (not sure of the official title) at Georgetown University; they will visit the IMF and have a working lunch with the heads of the IMF, the World Bank and the Iberoamerican Development Fund.

In NYC they will be attending events in conjungtion with the 100th anniversary of the National Hispanic Society of America (there may be a Gala event, but I'm not sure) and visit the Instituto Cervantes.

Prince & Princess of Asturias's Visit to the USA; October 4-6, 2004

A photo of Felipe and Letizia in the USA.

Los Príncipes de Asturias
inician su visita oficial a Estados Unidos

Don Felipe y doña Letizia aterrizaron esta madrugada en Albuquerque (Nuevo México), considerada la capital del mundo hispano en Norteamérica. Los Príncipes inician hoy su visita oficial a Estados Unidos con el objetivo de fomentar el español y la cultura española.

Attachments

• ppes.jpg
    ppes.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 437
New pics from today i belive

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 449
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 362
Those are from when they got off the airplane. No photos from today yet.

Some nice anecdotes from this morning's closed door events.

--Ironically, although Felipe's speech touched upon how well postioned the Spanish language is to become the official second language of international communication, behind only English, he gave his speech mostly in English.
--One of the guests at the event was the ex-ambassador to Spain from the USA. An American and a Hispanic, he told Felipe and Letizia, "you are also our [the hispanic world's] prince and princess"
--The man who was given the university award for his company's generous endowment of the Prince of Asturias chair told Felipe "you are a fortunate man to have at your side a woman like Dona Letizia, who in her day will be an excellent Queen." At which they looked at each other and smiled.

Here's an article in English about tomorrow's event:
http://albuquerque.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/stories/2004/10/04/daily3.html

I read that today's event was in Albuquerque, bu tonight they are in Santa Fe, and tomorrow back in Albuquerque. They really don't stop!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some new pics.

Attachments

• 129811.jpg
    129811.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 386
  • 129805.jpg
    129805.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 129804.jpg
    129804.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 489
  • 129803.jpg
    129803.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 364
  • 129801.jpg
    129801.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 129750.jpg
    129750.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 318
Some pics from the last events.

Letizia hair styl in the gala in strange but very diferent, i like.

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 418
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 335
  • D.JPG
    D.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 257
  • E.JPG
    E.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 340
Thanks for the pics. Letizia look very elegant.
I am not refering the shadow but to the half hair rest and half relise. Is not normally see in royal womens. But i like very much.

One more..................

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 271
From CasaReal.es

These pictures are posted on the Official Site for the SRF

1. Arriving at New Mexico's University
2. Meeting with the University representants conected to the "Cátedra Príncipe de Astúrias"
3. Meeting with the participants of the Cátedra
4. Greeting the award winner Don Iñigo de Oriol
5. Dinner honoring the princes (Is this the same outfit she wore in Hungary?)

hope you enjoy it,
Anna

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 304
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 379
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 242
  • eeuu05g.jpg
    eeuu05g.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 241
One more picture from yesterday and two from today.

From Polfoto

1. 04-10-04 - From left, New Mexico Lt. Gov. Diane Denish, Prince Felipe de Borbon y Grecia of Asturias and his wife, Princess Letizia, President of the University of New Mexico, Louis Caldera, and past U.S. Ambassador to Spain, Edward L. Romero, sit on a panal in front of a crowd during a special presentation of the University Medal to Iberdrola's chairman, Inigo de Oriol, in the Student Union Ballroom at the University of New Mexico, Monday, Oct. 4, 2004.

2. 05-10-2004 Prince Felipe of Spain, left, and his wife Princess Letizia, second from left, look at a wooden carving of Jesus Christ in the art museum of the National Hispanic Cultural Center in Albuquerque, N.M. Spain's crown prince and his wife, a former television anchorwoman, are in New Mexico this week to discuss an endowed chair named for the prince at the University of New Mexico and to participate in a groundbreaking at the National Hispanic Cultural Center. Museum director Helen Lucero is at right.

3. 05-10-2004 Prince Felipe of Spain, foreground left, shovels into the dirt during a groundbreaking ceremony for a building to be called the Prince of Asturias International Building, named after Prince Felipe, as his wife Princess Letizia, background left, and local dignitaries look. At the National Hispanic Cultural Center in Albuquerque, N.M.

From AAP

4. Spanish Crown Prince Felipe (L) makes a few remarks at a ceremony where the cornerstone was laid for a new Hispanic Cultural Centre in Albequerque, New Mexico. The heir to the Spanish throne and his wife, Letizia Ortiz (R) made a stopover in the southwestern city on Tuesday, 05 October 2004 during their tour of the United States.

hope you enjoy it,
Anna

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 326
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 320
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 359
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
From New Mexico Business Weekly

Spanish royalty feted at cultural center groundbreaking

NMBW Staff

A groundbreaking ceremony takes place in Albuquerque on Tuesday, October 5, to honor the naming of one of the National Hispanic Cultural Center's newest buildings and the event will be attended by Spain's Crown Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia.

The ceremony, which will start at 10:00 a.m., will christen the new building "Prince of Asturias International Building," in honor of His Royal Highness (HRH) Prince Felipe, who also attended the Center's opening in 2000.

The building is one of two that will comprise an educational complex dedicated to programs about and for the Hispanic community. The two primary occupants will be the Instituto Cervantes and the Spanish Resource Center.

The former is a worldwide nonprofit organization of the Spanish government that promotes the teaching, study and use of Spanish language. The latter is also a Spanish-operated institution that works in cooperation with the University of New Mexico to train teachers of English as a Second Language, a release from the NHCC says.

The groundbreakingevent is open to the public and will take place on the east side of the National Hispanic Cultural Center, extending from El Gran Torreón to the Plaza Mayor.

The former ambassador to Spain, Edward Romero, will greet the Crown Prince and Princess, along with Albuquerque Mayor Martin Chavez and the Center's Executive Director, Dr. Thomas Chávez, among others.

The Center, located at 1701 4th Street SW in Albuquerque, is dedicated to identifying, preserving, sharing and enhancing Hispanic arts and humanities at the local, national and international levels.

More information at http://www.nhccnm.org/

Anna

Last edited:
More pictures of the couple, from ISIFA & ABACA Press

1. Spanish Princess Letizia Ortiz is welcomed by children at the new Hispanic Cultural Centre in Albequerque, New Mexico, 05 October 2004. Spanish Crown Prince Felipe and his wife Princess Letizia made a stopover in the southwestern city on Tuesday during their tour of the United States.

2. Spanish Crown Prince Felipe (L) and his wife Letizia Ortiz (R) wave to those present for a ceremony where the cornerstone was laid for a new Hispanic Cultural Centre in Albequerque, New Mexico where the couple made a stopover on Tuesday, 05 October 2004, during their tour of the United States.

3 through 10. Prince Felipe de Borbon y Grecia of Asturias and his wife, Princess Letizia in Albuquerque for a medal presentation ceremony in the University of New Mexico student ballroom. Later, they went to Santa Fe to have dinner with the governor and his wife in the governor's mansion.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 286
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 373
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 377
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 402
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Some more from ABACA (Only Letizia)

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 301
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 247
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 209
Thanks for posting these pics!! Letizia looks really great!! Here are some more , of the same event. Wonder what they were talking about in the third one (the one where she points her finger at him). They seem to be arguing...;)

More some pics......................

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 242
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 337
  • c.JPG
    c.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 504
  • d.JPG
    d.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 432
ILoveCristina said:
Thanks for posting these pics!! Letizia looks really great!! Here are some more , of the same event. Wonder what they were talking about in the third one (the one where she points her finger at him). They seem to be arguing...;)
I don't think they're arguing. I think she's just pointing something out to him in the room. Her finger's directed upwards and not right at him.

One more............

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 263
I am not a fan of this outfit. I think it looks a little bit too wintery and it isn't that cold in NM. I think it it is a bit too much gray, if the jacket was paired with a nice black skirt she would have looked a bit nicer.

I share a litle with you. Until now Letizia is wearing a lot of dark colours. In my opinion strong colours , like red, stay much better

Pictures from todayhttp://www.polfoto.dk

1. 06-10-2004 Spain's Crown Prince Felipe of Asturias, center, and Princess Letizia of Asturias, right, are welcomed by IMF Managing Director Rodrigo Rato, left, in the IMF headquarters, in Washington. It is the royal couple's first visit to the United States since their wedding in May.

2. 06-10-2004 Princess Letizia of Asturias, right, whispers to her husband, Spain's Crown Prince Felipe of Asturias, left, during the visit to the IMF headquarters, in Washington. It is the royal couple's first visit to the United States since their wedding in May

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 393
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 436
From GettyImages

1. WASHINGTON, UNITED STATES: Spanish Crown Prince Felipe(C) and Princess Letizia(R) walk with IMF, managing director Rodrigo Rato at the International Monetary Fund Center 06 October, 2004 in Washington, DC.

2. WASHINGTON, UNITED STATES: Spanish Crown Prince Felipe(C) and Princess Letizia(R) walk with IMF, managing director Rodrigo Rato at the International Monetary Fund Center 6 October, 2004 in Washington, DC.

3. WASHINGTON, UNITED STATES: Spain's Crown Prince Felipe de Borbon y Grecia(2nd-L) and Princess Letizia (L) pose for a photograph with Georgetown University official Miguel Jerez(C), Spain's Ambassador to the US Carlos Westendorp and Counselor of Education Miguel Martinez(R) at Georgetown University in Washington, DC 06 October, 2004

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 533
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 423
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 344
Hy, y see that on the tv internacional.that is a student, and he had a photo in his hand,an on the photo he was with felipe, taking last year.and he wanted felipe to signed it, so he can give it to his grandmother, that is 82 years old.He was the one that break the protocol and aproge the cople.it was very to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
lapopdiva said:
Hy, y see that on the tv internacional.that is a student, and he had a photo in his hand,an on the photo he was with felipe, taking last year.and he wanted felipe to signed it, so he can give it to his grandmother, that is 82 years old.He was the one that break the protocol and aproge the cople.it was very to see.
That's a cute story. That must be why he looks so excited.

October 6, 2004 - Felipe and Letizia at Georgetown University. Pictures from www.abacausa.com

Attachments

• 269427.JPG
    269427.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 346
  • 269431.JPG
    269431.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 341
  • 269432.JPG
    269432.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 350
  • 269433.JPG
    269433.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 332
  • 269435.JPG
    269435.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 323
  • 269484.JPG
    269484.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 325
  • 269486.JPG
    269486.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 340
More Pictures, source, AAP Image

1. Spain's Crown Prince Felipe of Asturias, center, and Princess Letizia of Asturias, second right, is introduced by IMF Managing Director Rodrigo Rato, right, to World Bank President James Wolfensohn, second left and Inter-American Development Bank President Enrique Iglesias, left, at the IMF headquarters, in Washington.

2. Spain's Crown Prince Felipe of Asturias, center, and Princess Letizia of Asturias, right, pose as they are welcomed by IMF Managing Director Rodrigo Rato, left, in the IMF headquarters, Oct. 6, 2004, in Washington.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 380
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 389
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom