Prince & Princess of Asturias's Official Visit to Poland: May 6-8, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for Letizia's events, I'm a bit disappointed that those events are typical events for princesses or political wives: soft culture events, healthcare and children. In the past, Letizia got to attend business and political meetings with Felipe on trips. I found that more impressive than these "soft" events. So I'm not sure what the big deal it is with having solo events. I knew it would be like this.

She was in the meeting with businessmen from both countries.
London Features International Ltd

I was a little disappointed she didn't go to the lunch with the PM, but having lunch with the first lady was not too bad either. Like Felipe, Letizia also knew a lot about global politics and economy, maybe that was the reason Zarzuela prefered Felipe going alone (just kidding) :lol:. The radio interview link I posted on Felipe's 40th birthday thread, the main union leaders in Spain Cándido Méndez and José María Fidalgo had openly praised Letizia on her knowledge in the same subject after an interesting discussion with the Princes at a private gathering.

I love the pictures of Letizia with the children. I like the fact that she's holding hands with them. As much as I want to see her wearing new clothes I don't think she will abandon the recycling thing. I think wearing recycled clothes is her way to thank the Spanish people for supporting her. It's a simple gesture but I think it will be good for her considering the fact that the monarchy in Spain is not that stable. Her clothes are appropriate not chic and I think it's better for her. I also love the fact that she had her own agenda during the state visit. I just wish they will have state visit here in my country. I will file a vacation leave from my work just to see both of them. :p

As for Letizia's events, I'm a bit disappointed that those events are typical events for princesses or political wives: soft culture events, healthcare and children. In the past, Letizia got to attend business and political meetings with Felipe on trips. I found that more impressive than these "soft" events. So I'm not sure what the big deal it is with having solo events. I knew it would be like this.

I am glad she had her own events this time. Even though they are "soft" this is the way it is and will always be since she's the consort and not the heir and not supposed to outshine him regarding the important - meaning purpose-of-the-trip related issues.

I prefer her pursuing her own agenda together with the Polish First Lady rather than sitting comme-il-faut somewhere near Felipe during these "important" meetings, mainly as accessoire without any visible involvement. I thought that Letizia did very well at this visit with her own engagements.

I am glad she had her own events this time. Even though they are "soft" this is the way it is and will always be since she's the consort and not the heir and not supposed to outshine him regarding the important - meaning purpose-of-the-trip related issues.

I prefer her pursuing her own agenda together with the Polish First Lady rather than sitting comme-il-faut somewhere near Felipe during these "important" meetings, mainly as accessoire without any visible involvement. I thought that Letizia did very well at this visit with her own engagements.

How do you know she's not involved in those important meetings before? "Visible involvement" isn't a good measure to gauge. I read articles posted on here that Letizia would ask questions in meetings. Maybe not so on foreign trips out of etiquette. But there are many ways to get involved in a behind-the-scene role. If she's in the meetings, she would get first hand information just as Felipe does. She could pass on her opinion to Felipe or join discussions with Spanish ministers later on in reflection on the trip.

If she's not there, she wouldn't be able to do this. Politics are the same anywhere. Being in the right meeting is more important than just speaking out in the meeting. Insider information is power. Those soft events are not.

On a purely superficial note, I'm glad she took off the silver gray coat and showed the silver dress underneath. I suspected I would like the dress a lot more than the coat the first time she wore it and I was right. I love the dress, but not the coat. I wish she would take off the purple coat too. I like the dress, or at least the part shown. The coat's purple color is a tad too bright for my taste. The print on the purple/black dress was gorgeous and sophisticated.

As for the brown and gray suits, they were okay, but too somber for spring.

I just wish they will have state visit here in my country. I will file a vacation leave from my work just to see both of them. :p

Your president actually invited them for an official visit last time she was in Spain. Perhaps they will do one in the future. But if Letizia is pregnant, those trips probably will be postponed.
I'd like to have another South American trip like the one in Brazil.

How do you know she's not involved in those important meetings before? "Visible involvement" isn't a good measure to gauge. I read articles posted on here that Letizia would ask questions in meetings. Maybe not so on foreign trips out of etiquette. But there are many ways to get involved in a behind-the-scene role. If she's in the meetings, she would get first hand information just as Felipe does. She could pass on her opinion to Felipe or join discussions with Spanish ministers later on in reflection on the trip.

If she's not there, she wouldn't be able to do this. Politics are the same anywhere. Being in the right meeting is more important than just speaking out in the meeting. Insider information is power. Those soft events are not.

We don't know to what extent Letizia is involved behind the scenes. Suggesting that her input is of mayor importance behind closed doors whilst Felipe does the public presentation is as much speculation as suggesting that she is not involved at all. I guess it's somewhere inbetween.

However, I personally prefer a CP creating her own profile in her own fields of interest and I am glad that Zarzuela finally starts going down that road with her, slowly but steadily. Felipe as heir is supposed to make an impact in business and economics and I think it's a good decision not to overdo the team idea here, having her attending at all those meetings with him when he's clearly the person that matters to the host (as in Poland). Children and social issues are a good choice for Letizia and it doesn't downgrade her at all. I wish there was a stronger focus on journalism events regarding Letizia's agenda as this represents her professional background (as Maxima does her microcredit issue etc) and is perfectly credible.

Your president actually invited them for an official visit last time she was in Spain. Perhaps they will do one in the future. But if Letizia is pregnant, those trips probably will be postponed.
I'd like to have another South American trip like the one in Brazil.

yup, i reckon that our president invited the crown couple to visit our country. I just wish it will come true.;)

She looks very elegant with this classic grey outfit:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom